The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Wow, I've never seen that Lady and the Tramp concept art before. It's lovely. I like the logo you chose for it as well since that's my favorite and I know the original movie logo is hard to find.

I don't think I've ever seen that Sleeping Beauty concept art before? What prompted you to change from the original piece you mentioned you were using to this?

I've always loved that Cruella art for Dalmatians and thank you for using the full logo and not 101 instead of One Hundred and One.

The Jungle Book cover is another great choice. What inspired you to put the logo all the way at the bottom?

Such a gorgeous shot of The Little Mermaid. And the original logo appears! I also think it's really clever that instead of using Walt Disney, you used Clements and Musker's names. I guess the only issue is that the blue of Musker blends in too much with the background. Maybe if it was a really pale blue, or white, it would show up more.

Can't wait to see Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin! Did you ever find a high resolution enough picture for Aladdin? I'm not sure if the one I linked to you before was big enough.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Are The Walt Disney Signature Edition’s dead since we have Disney+ now?
I know Beauty and the Beast will be out on 4K next month but is that it?
:? :cry:
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Matt wrote:Are The Walt Disney Signature Edition’s dead since we have Disney+ now?
I know Beauty and the Beast will be out on 4K next month but is that it?
:? :cry:
No? I don't think so. Fantasia and The Jungle Book are still not available on physical and digital purchase and there's no reason to believe that Disney will keep it that way.
Normally I would say that Beauty and the Beast got the March slot, The Jungle Book would probably be released on June and Fantasia in September. However, that 101 Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty release threw everything off, so I don't really know what will happen.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm writing here what I wrote in bluray.com about the Signature Collection of Fantasia and The Jungle Book:

All I know is Disney is unpredictable.
They surprised everyone when they released three films in 2017, so I thought that they might release three in 2018, but then they released two (unless we count The Lion King 4K as a separate release).
When The Lion King was released on 4K (and The Little Mermaid was announced), I thought that they might release the Signature Collection in 4K, but then Cinderella came (earlier than anticipated since I thought the film was coming in 2020) and it wasn't in 4K, so no Walt films on 4K.
However, I did predict that all the four Renaissance films will be released in 4K and that happened (despite some skeptics who thought that Beauty and the Beast would not be released, but they were wrong).
Any way so we get to Aladdin and that's the third title of 2019, so it's supposed to be the last to be released in 2019, right? Wrong. They released both Sleeping Beauty and 101 Dalmatians on the same day two weeks after Aladdin. What is going on?!?! (Also some skeptics thought that Sleeping Beauty wouldn't be released as a Signature Collection title cause it wasn't featured in the original website).
So there was a new pattern - a title was released alongside a rerelease of its remake. We had it with Cinderella, Aladdin, Sleeping Beauty and Beauty and the Beast. So when they announced The Jungle Book (2016) in 4K, I thought they will release The Jungle Book (1967) in the Signature Collection (not 4K though). Again that didn't happen and if it they hadn't released 101 Dalmatians I would have thought they had given up on both titles.

Here are the possibilities:
1. They've gone back to release three a year like they did in 2017 and 2018: Beauty and the Beast (March), The Jungle Book (June-July), Fantasia (September- December).
2. They are not releasing them. Though I find it weird that if they gave up on releasing them, why not make the films available for digital purchase? They don't really need to do any effort except making the films available.

Here's my opinion: I'm gonna wait till 2021 before I give up on Disney ever releasing these films again, but even now everything seems so uncertain because of COVID19, so who knows maybe they planned a release that would eventually be either postponed or cancelled. IDK. And it seems like people here stopped getting leaks about standard Blu-rays so we might actually need to wait for an official announcements (if those even happen anymore we might wake up someday and go to the store and see the films there without any warning or sign).
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^Regarding Possibility 2:

With Covid, it'd make sense to at least release movies digitally, to make up for the lack of income elsewhere.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Is Jungle Book the only one not released yet in this line? Would that have been the end of the line?
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote:2. They are not releasing them. Though I find it weird that if they gave up on releasing them, why not make the films available for digital purchase? They don't really need to do any effort except making the films available.
I would have said they don't intend to release them since they intentionally missed their chance to release The Jungle Book (1967) alongside with The Jungle Book (2016) in January, and the Fantasia movies never being a massive crowd-pleaser (except notably for its theatrical re-releases in the 70s and its videocassette release in the early 90s). I think they at least considered to re-release The Jungle Book (1967) (that's why we got a 4K release for The Jungle Book (2016)) if not the three titles (including Fantasia 2000), but they eventually gave up the idea for now thinking it won't make that much revenues.

But since, according to you, it appears that these 2 titles have remained unavailable digitally (I haven't checked that!) I don't know... It could look like an possibility left for after...

If I had to guess, I would say no since because of the COVID-19 pandemic, even less people will be tempted to go buy them in stores for elementary safety reasons. And the Signature Collection would come to a stop. Yet I am curious to see if I'll be proven wrong, who knows?..
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Tried to ask them about The Jungle Book and Fantasia, but they gave me an uninformative answer:

JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Half the time the people working there have no idea themselves. I think I remember something similar to this when Disney announced the release of a film on Blu-Ray for the Disney Movie Club but when people asked customer service about the release date, customer service wasn't even aware that the film was being released.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Even if WDHSE knew of a release, if Disney hadn't announced it yet, the reps probably couldn't tell someone inquiring about it, right?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The Jungle Book was already a Movie Club exclusive, maybe the same will happen to Fantasia.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Half the time the people working there have no idea themselves. I think I remember something similar to this when Disney announced the release of a film on Blu-Ray for the Disney Movie Club but when people asked customer service about the release date, customer service wasn't even aware that the film was being released.
Yes, that might be true, though I'd say it's a shame that the people that work there don't go through some sort of instructions.
blackcauldron85 wrote:Even if WDHSE knew of a release, if Disney hadn't announced it yet, the reps probably couldn't tell someone inquiring about it, right?
Yes you're probably right, though I honestly don't get why they are so secretive about future releases.
Sicoe Vlad wrote:The Jungle Book was already a Movie Club exclusive, maybe the same will happen to Fantasia.
I think it's unlikely since I think that the reason 101 Dalmatians and The Jungle Book got this treatment was because of extra copies of the Diamond Edition Disney got stuck with. I don't think they got stuck with extras of Fantasia from 2010.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Fair enough. :) I didn't think of that
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

So the 80th anniversary of Fantasia came and went and there was no announcement or anything. I wish Disney had said anything regarding the two titles, whether they plan to release them eventually or they just stopped with the collection entirely. It's so frustrating.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

:( This sucks, not getting the titles yet and not knowing if we ever will. I'm 90% sure we never will. At least not as Signatures. Maybe collector's editions down the line for when physical copies are seen as just for collectors.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Any news on possible re-releases for Fantasia and The Jungle Book?

Meanwhile, I finally managed to watch The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin and The Lion King all in glorious 4K, and they're beautiful. I felt like I was watching them for the very first time, and I noticed new things both in video and in audio. The orchestrations are so dynamic and dramatic, and I hear every single instrument, which is amazing. I compared the 4K presentations to the regular ones, and the differences are astounding. Not in details, but in the color scheme. :D
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I've given up on Disney releasing The Jungle Book as a Signature Collection title, so I decided to get the DMC exclusive that was released two years ago. I also have the Diamond Edition, but I really don't like that cover, I wanted a prettier one.

So here's my full Signature Collection + 4 DMC releases:

Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I think the only ones of those I don't have are B&tB and Pinocchio (I have the Diamond Blu-rays), Dalmatians (I have the DMC exclusive), and The Jungle Book.

I might have considered buying B&tB again if its colors had been improved. Maybe all the changes to the Disney Princess line to make the characters look more accurate might foreshadow restorations for Cinderella and B&tB that finally get the colors right? Hope springs eternal.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Has anyone heard anything about Disney 4K releases for the early films like SW&7D and so forth?
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Well, except for Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia, the animated films from Walt's era aren't spectacular, in terms of visuals, so I don't think that a 4K edition would be a dramatic improvement over the HD edition.