The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow, thank you the always knowledgable Escapay! Now I know so much about Disney's special treatment of their films!
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Sotiris wrote:A couple of clips from the bonus feature "Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song" have been released.
More clips from the same featurette have surfaced.

Jodi Benson
Paige O'Hara
Judy Kuhn
Donna Murphy
Lillias White
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thanks Escapay, as well, for all the information! I wish Disney had gotten around to making VHS sets for The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Sleeping Beauty, but at least we got laserdisc sets for them. As I said before though, it's a pity that The Little Mermaid got snubbed for a proper deluxe set with physical memorabilia.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I always found it strange that The Sword in the Stone got a poor treatment from Disney compared to the other films which were released during Walt's time.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Aw, Jodi and Paige cried at Judy's song!

Hm, yes, it seems The Sword in the Stone is the only Walt era film not treated well?
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

farerb wrote:I always found it strange that The Sword in the Stone got a poor treatment from Disney compared to the other films which were released during Walt's time.
The restoration might have gotten poor treatment but I doubt it's because it's considered "lower rung" among the Disney films, since they all go through more or less the same process and this one ended up unlucky.

But I doubt it will get a better redo because it is considered "Lower rung". It's the only animated film Walt was personally involved with (excluding the package films of the mid-late 40s) that was never a critical giant like Pinocchio, Fantasia, or Dumbo, it's certainly not a never ending money maker like Cinderella or Snow White, and it never gained a cult following like Alice or Sleeping Beauty. Disney's attitude on that movie is that it "just exists". So don't hold your breath on a better restoration.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Since when is are Cinderella or Snow White not also critical giants? They have just as high ratings as Fantasia and Dumbo.
MerPrincessJamie
Limited Issue

Post by MerPrincessJamie »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Hi Jamie!! You probably don’t know me, but I remember reading your posts on here and Little Ariel. I thought of you when I saw Jodi Benson in Epcot this Christmas. I hope you are well. And it must be very exciting for you to see your painting turned into an official movie cover!!!
nn

Hi there :) I remember you :) Have have you been? I've known for a long time, but had to wait until the press release say anything. And yes, I was a puddle of tears. So many tears.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Disney Duster wrote:Since when is are Cinderella or Snow White not also critical giants? They have just as high ratings as Fantasia and Dumbo.
I never said they weren't, I was just using multiple examples.
Last edited by pikachufan1336 on Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Ohhhh ok. :)
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Hercules bluray just arrived!

Post by D82 »

WATCH: Behind the Music of Disney’s Hercules With Broadway’s Lillias White and Alan Menken
http://www.playbill.com/article/watch-b ... lan-menken
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Pocahontas Blu-ray (2012)

Post by D82 »

WATCH: Judy Kuhn Reveals What Led to Her Oscar-Winning ‘Colors of the Wind’ and the Music Behind Disney’s Pocahontas
http://www.playbill.com/article/watch-j ... pocahontas
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Beauty and the Beast Discussion

Post by D82 »

WATCH: Disney’s Paige O'Hara On Finding Her Belle Voice for the Original Beauty and the Beast
http://www.playbill.com/article/watch-d ... -the-beast
D82
Signature Collection

Re: The Little Mermaid Discussion

Post by D82 »

WATCH: Jodi Benson Reveals the Creation Behind Disney's The Little Mermaid and ‘Part Of Your World’
https://cms.playbill.com/article/watch- ... your-world
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Thanks to the moderator who put all these links I posted in different threads here together. It makes more sense this way. I didn’t know where to post them because, though they're shot in the same location as the Little Mermaid bonus feature, they don't seem to be part of it but original Playbill productions. I guess Playbill took the opportunity to interview the stars while they were shooting this Blu-ray extra. On top of that, I've now noticed that Sotiris had already posted them here, so sorry for doing it again. Here's a new one that hasn't been posted yet:

WATCH: Donna Murphy Talks About Her Transformation Into Tangled’s Mother Gothel
https://cms.playbill.com/article/watch- ... her-gothel
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you for those videos D82 and Sotiris! I only watched the ones pertaining to my favorite films (the fairy tales of course!), and I'm so glad to hear the very voice of Mother Gothel, the one who played her, says she felt she does love Rapunzel. I felt she did in the movie. And I loved how she loves the character and how she said she was "...so f***ing fun!" Haha!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Lol, I only watched the fairy tale ones as well although I skipped Tangled because I don't even bother with that film. However, I adore Donna Murphy's work and she was one of the few parts of Tangled I actually didn't mind, even if I didn't care for Gothel's characterization but I blame that on the script. It's nice to have confirmation on Gothel's feelings towards Rapunzel even if that isn't exactly clear in the film and goes against what Glen Keane originally wanted.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here's another clip from the "Alan Menken & the Leading Ladies Song" bonus feature: https://www.awn.com/news/exclusive-watc ... le-mermaid

I found all the Playbill interviews quite interesting. As for Mother Gothel, I always thought she didn't have any real affection for Rapunzel and was just being a good actress when she was sweet to her, but I guess it makes sense she would become a bit fond of her after all these years, even though she's so selfish and vain.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I highly recommend watching the Donna Murphy clip just to see all she put into that one aspect of Tangled.
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Lol, I only watched the fairy tale ones as well although I skipped Tangled because I don't even bother with that film. However, I adore Donna Murphy's work and she was one of the few parts of Tangled I actually didn't mind, even if I didn't care for Gothel's characterization but I blame that on the script. It's nice to have confirmation on Gothel's feelings towards Rapunzel even if that isn't exactly clear in the film and goes against what Glen Keane originally wanted.

Aww. I love Tanlged! IMO It's the best DA movie since Beauty and the Beast, and the best looking film the studio's done since Sleeping Beauty. Even if it's not what Glen Keane wanted. Can't please everybody :(