The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by bruno_wbt »

Aladdin Singature Collection Trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-xB1JS6TSPw
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Funny because I was just thinking last night about how it's a shame that both the Platinum DVD and Diamond Blu-Ray lacked the two alternate endings: the Arabian Nights finale reprise and the ending where the Peddler is revealed as the Genie. It seems as though the Signature Edition will finally be remedying this. Too bad they didn't include the demos of all the unused Ashman songs but Disney DVDs/Blu-Rays rarely include song demos anyway.

I like the rest of the new scattering of bonus features and I'm glad they didn't include anything imbecilic with a current Disney Channel Star. Although Drawing Genie should really be on-disc but what can you do.

The Target cover is quite delightful and I love how even the Sultan and Rajah are included. I just wish Aladdin and Jasmine's faces were slightly more on-model and that Jasmine was wearing blue rather than the VHS color of green. Still, this will be my first Signature Edition since The Lion King.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Notice that they changed the aspect ratio to be 1.66:1. I'm saying this because it might mean that Disney actually makes new masters for the 4K editions, which gives me more hope about Beauty and the Beast.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I'm glad they're returning to the original aspect ratio. Let's hope BATB gets a proper remaster at this point since it being released in 4K gives it a more likely chance than Cinderella or Alice in Wonderland getting new restorations.
ImageImage
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Escapay »

It'll be too much to expect the 2004 extras to be on the disc (especially since they omitted the actual, main documentary on the 2015 disc), but I'm hoping that they're presented in some semblance of an order on digital platforms. Only the iTunes Extras organizes the "Diamond in the Rough" documentary in its proper order, pretty much every other platform is some haphazard listing.

The new extras are paltry and honestly, I feel it'll be repetitive information since all three things - Scott Weinger, Eric Goldberg, and voice-recording sessions - have been well-represented on the 2004 and 2015 extras. Still, it's nice that Aladdin is getting this kind of revisitation. Especially when Disney can't be bothered anymore for non-Signature titles.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

I don't know why, but I have doubts if Beauty and the Beast actually WILL get a 4K release. If it does, will it another Signature Collection release?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Escapay wrote: The new extras are paltry and honestly, I feel it'll be repetitive information since all three things - Scott Weinger, Eric Goldberg, and voice-recording sessions - have been well-represented on the 2004 and 2015 extras. Still, it's nice that Aladdin is getting this kind of revisitation. Especially when Disney can't be bothered anymore for non-Signature titles.
The Scott Weinger featurette reminds me of the Paige O'Hara one in the Signature Edition BATB which reflected on her legacy as Belle in the past few decades. It was a nice introspective look at her life since BATB so I'm pleased to see that Aladdin will be getting something similar. I wish TLM had gotten a feaurette exclusively on Jodi Benson like that.
Hardbackyoyo wrote:I don't know why, but I have doubts if Beauty and the Beast actually WILL get a 4K release. If it does, will it another Signature Collection release?
There's no confirmation yet that BATB will get a 4K release, however the fact that Mermaid, Aladdin, and Lion King all have gotten them is pretty compelling evidence that BATB will get one as well. It's safe to say it will be released under the Signature Edition because when the 4K Lion King was released a few months after the Blu-Ray Signature Edition, it was still branded as part of the Signature Edition.

I'm guessing we'll see 4K BATB around the time they release a 4K version of the live-action BATB. With 4K catalog releases of Cinderella and Maleficent this year, maybe we can expect 4K versions of the live-action BATB and Jungle Book next year.
ImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:I don't know why, but I have doubts if Beauty and the Beast actually WILL get a 4K release. If it does, will it another Signature Collection release?
Why is it any different than The Lion King? Which got a rerelease for the 4K alone? Beauty and the Beast is one of their most acclaimed films and was always a top seller in home media.
Like Jean said, I expect it to be released alongside its remake, which was pretty successful on its own.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Escapay wrote: The new extras are paltry and honestly, I feel it'll be repetitive information since all three things - Scott Weinger, Eric Goldberg, and voice-recording sessions - have been well-represented on the 2004 and 2015 extras. Still, it's nice that Aladdin is getting this kind of revisitation. Especially when Disney can't be bothered anymore for non-Signature titles.
The Scott Weinger featurette reminds me of the Paige O'Hara one in the Signature Edition BATB which reflected on her legacy as Belle in the past few decades. It was a nice introspective look at her life since BATB so I'm pleased to see that Aladdin will be getting something similar. I wish TLM had gotten a feaurette exclusively on Jodi Benson like that.
There's no confirmation yet that BATB will get a 4K release, however the fact that Mermaid, Aladdin, and Lion King all have gotten them is pretty compelling evidence that BATB will get one as well. It's safe to say it will be released under the Signature Edition because when the 4K Lion King was released a few months after the Blu-Ray Signature Edition, it was still branded as part of the Signature Edition.

I'm guessing we'll see 4K BATB around the time they release a 4K version of the live-action BATB. With 4K catalog releases of Cinderella and Maleficent this year, maybe we can expect 4K versions of the live-action BATB and Jungle Book next year.
I'm expecting the live action Jungle Book to be released alongside the Signature Collection of The Jungle Book (and maybe Fantasia as well?) like Cinderella.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

The Aladdin Signature Target cover is amazing.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote: I'm expecting the live action Jungle Book to be released alongside the Signature Collection of The Jungle Book (and maybe Fantasia as well?) like Cinderella.
I think that's pretty likely and we'll probably get the animated Jungle Book in early spring of 2020 if not even earlier since Disney's been piling these releases one on top of each other. Fantasia's tradition is to be released every decade (1990/2000/2010) so it's safe to say we'll finally get the Signature Edition for it by next year as well. I'm looking most forward to this because I never bothered to get the original Blu-Ray release.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The Target cover for Aladdin is beautiful. They managed to include the lamp, the palace, all the characters, and be colorful, striking, and well-drawn all at the same time. I wish I could afford it, but nope. I'm not surprised about it being so good though. I loved the TLM Target cover the best, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
The Scott Weinger featurette reminds me of the Paige O'Hara one in the Signature Edition BATB which reflected on her legacy as Belle in the past few decades. It was a nice introspective look at her life since BATB so I'm pleased to see that Aladdin will be getting something similar. I wish TLM had gotten a featurette exclusively on Jodi Benson like that.
I feel like one might have been developed, but Disney ultimately didn't go through with it. The majority of what I'm going to type next is all largely speculation, but given that The Little Mermaid's new supplements amount to only 42 minutes, and only 20 minutes is actual content with Jodi Benson, I feel Disney probably were looking to cut whatever they could to keep the amount of material in their usual "45 minutes or less" range these days, whilst also appealing to every generation (hence why we get the #TreasuresUntold trivia piece for the kids, the DCapella music video for teenagers, the Leading Ladies discussion for Millennials, and the Walt's Office featurette for the Boomers).

When the Bensons went to NYC last summer, one of Jodi's Instagram posts mentioned that McKinley was going to shoot a retrospective piece for the Signature Collection release of The Little Mermaid. A couple of her posts showed McKinley shooting footage; based on imagery from those posts and what ended upon on the Signature Collection, we could piece together that the digital exclusive "Part of Your World: A 30-Year Retrospective" and the Vudu exclusive "Part of Your World" performance were shot by McKinley.

HOWEVER, a couple other posts showed McKinley also shooting footage at Jodi & Ray's first NYC apartment, but none of the new TLM supplements used that material. So, and this is where I just get speculative, I'm wondering if perhaps Disney wanted a "Jodi Returns to New York" kind of featurette, bringing her back to her Broadway roots and early life when she got the part for The Little Mermaid. Thus, it would echo the "Always Belle" piece with Paige O'Hara, and since Menken was based in New York anyway, they could shoot two birds with one stone by naturally having Jodi join the "Alan Menken sits at the piano and talks with people" discussion piece with the other Leading Ladies.

To me, this makes sense. Someone as iconic in a role as Jodi Benson for Ariel would naturally get a retrospective piece that tells her story. Bringing her back to her Broadway roots, where she knew Howard and performed in Smile before The Little Mermaid was even created, would have been a great discussion and reflection. But, again, it's all speculation. For all we know, visiting that apartment and shooting footage there was probably just Benson family home movies or a McKinley project not meant for Disney. But it's often nice to wonder the "what if" that could have been.

I'm still not holding out much hope for the Weinger featurette, though. After all, Disney gave us the "Conversation with Ron & John" from the 2015 Aladdin Blu-Ray, which is literally just a 5-minute recollection of the movies they worked together. I'm sure they said more but Disney clearly whittled it all down to the bare essentials. If the Weinger piece actually is like "Always Belle" and we get a more introspective 11-15 minute story, I'll eat a straw hat.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

That's some really interesting speculation. I remember Jodi Benson posted a lot of content on her social, talking about the new bonus features she was filming, but I wasn't aware that there was even more in-depth content featuring her home life. If it really was filmed for the purpose of being a new bonus feature, it's a shame we missed out on it and I can only imagine Disney will try and shoehorn it as a digital exclusive for Disney+.

Like you, I hope the Weinger featurette is lengthier and more introspective like the Paige O'Hara one, which is frankly, one of the only new bonus features I've been a fan of in the Signature Editions. If it ends up becoming a 3-4 minute fluff piece, that'll be typical of Disney but disappointing nevertheless.

I would have liked something on Linda Larkin as well considering how prominent she is at fan expos and conventions alongside Jodi and Paige. Jodi mentioned in an interview that the three are quite close and even have a groupchat together, so a featurette on the three of them as the new era of princesses would have been great fun, or at least a mention of their group dynamic would have been fitting for a potential solo Jodi or Linda feature.

If Pocahontas was ever lucky enough to get any new bonus features, I'd love something on Irene Bedard too considering she's been as prominent as the aforementioned ladies at fan conventions. Not to mention, more positive attention on her would be nice since there's been a lot of stories on her recent plight, with the disturbance in her home life and financial struggles. I know Disney would never feature anything as political as this, but I quite liked the comparison of her as the "spiritual voice" of Pocahontas compared to the actual Pocahontas descendant and how different the two women were in their political and social views. A retrospective feature on her on what she's been doing since 1995 to now would be really quite intriguing, especially since she played Pocahontas' mother in Terrence Malick's The New World.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

So I saw Brokeback Mountain this morning. I thought it was totally better than Crash. My friend who is also gay thought it was a bad movie and Crash deserved the win, but no, Brokeback deserved the win. It was subtle. It was a heavier film, with more gravitas. And it made me cry.
Nala
Anniversary Edition

Post by Nala »

101 Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty are no longer listed as being released on September 24, 2019 on Blu-Ray.Com.
My Growing DVD Collection!

http://www.invelos.com/DVDCollection.aspx/Pocahontas

Disneyland Trips: 09/87, 12/08

Walt Disney World Trips: 09/08, 12/09, 06/11, 09/14

Knott's Berry Farm: 09/87, 12/08
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Nala wrote:101 Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty are no longer listed as being released on September 24, 2019 on Blu-Ray.Com.
I still see September 24, but I do think it's weird that there haven't been any press releases or trailers by now.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Nala wrote:101 Dalmatians and Sleeping Beauty are no longer listed as being released on September 24, 2019 on Blu-Ray.Com.
I don’t know if it’s legit or not to speculate these releases will be postponed, but it would be a good thing if they took more time for the last titles of the Signature Collection instead of rushing the whole thing in a snap.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Ooooh, this is interesting. I found a video of Scott Weinger talking about his role as Aladdin, and he mentions finding the cassette tape he sent in as part of the audition process, and how they recently found it for a special feature for the upcoming blu ray!!

I am looking forward to that!!!

For the whole video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUrN88rrjuk
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Thanks for sharing! That sounds like a great feature and I'm even more excited for the Scott Weinger bonus feature now since it'll likely feature that.
ImageImage