The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Farerb »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
farerb wrote:https://twitter.com/aladdin/status/1136 ... 25696?s=19

Aladdin is the next Signature Collection.
The ad doesn't say there will be a 4K version.
Yeah I know, but it might be too early to announce or the people who made the ad didn't know. Let's hope.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I still hope for a 4K even if it's not that much an improvement over the bluray. If Aladdin doesn't get 4K it means no 4K for Beauty and the Beast, which means we are stuck with the horrible 2D bluray master forever.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:I still hope for a 4K even if it's not that much an improvement over the bluray. If Aladdin doesn't get 4K it means no 4K for Beauty and the Beast, which means we are stuck with the horrible 2D bluray master forever.
Honestly this is my main concern as well. BATB looks so bad on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and I don't own a 3D TV (nor do I want one) so I can't even play the 3D version. I'd rather not be relegated to the VHS for the rest of my life.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
farerb wrote:I still hope for a 4K even if it's not that much an improvement over the bluray. If Aladdin doesn't get 4K it means no 4K for Beauty and the Beast, which means we are stuck with the horrible 2D bluray master forever.
Honestly this is my main concern as well. BATB looks so bad on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and I don't own a 3D TV (nor do I want one) so I can't even play the 3D version. I'd rather not be relegated to the VHS for the rest of my life.
Did you try to get the laserdisc? It has a better video quality than the VHS plus OAR.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Honestly this is my main concern as well. BATB looks so bad on both DVD and Blu-Ray, and I don't own a 3D TV (nor do I want one) so I can't even play the 3D version. I'd rather not be relegated to the VHS for the rest of my life.
Did you try to get the laserdisc? It has a better video quality than the VHS plus OAR.
I don't have a laserdisc player but I plan on getting one soon specifically for films like BATB, not to mention laserdisc extras that were never ported over (like Pocahontas for example). The OAR on the VHS for the 90s films bothers me in particular.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Not surprised about Aladdin coming next considering the remake is out and the sales will probably be improved. Cinderella, Aladdin, Fantasia, and Sleeping Beauty are the last big films from Disney I need on Blu-ray, so I'm happy two will soon be down. I'm going to hold on to my (diminishing) hope Cinderella will look better than the Platinum/Diamond. :/
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
pikachufan1336
Gold Classic Collection

Post by pikachufan1336 »

Great to hear Aladdin is next. Hopefully the cover is better than last time.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

My predictions now:
[*]September 2019 - Aladdin.
[*]February 2020 - Sleeping Beauty.
[*]June 2020 - Fantasia.
[*]September 2020 - 101 Dalmatians.
[*]February 2021 - The Jungle Book.

And perhaps some day Beauty and the Beast in 4K (perhaps in 2021 on its 30th anniversary).
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

farerb wrote: And perhaps some day Beauty and the Beast in 4K (perhaps in 2021 on its 30th anniversary).
I'm worried if certain movies will EVER coming out in 4K, because there isn't going to be a 4K version of Cinderella, for God knows what reason.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Hardbackyoyo wrote:
farerb wrote: And perhaps some day Beauty and the Beast in 4K (perhaps in 2021 on its 30th anniversary).
I'm worried if certain movies will EVER coming out in 4K, because there isn't going to be a 4K version of Cinderella, for God knows what reason.
I really wish I could tell what Disney is planning, but so far they have been unpredictable with their home video releases. No one even knows what will happen once Disney + starts.

The only thing I know is that The Lion King, a CAPS film has a 4K and The Little Mermaid, a Cel film has a 4K.
What it could actually mean? At first I thought that from now on a 4K edition will be released alongside the standard bluray edition. But then Cinderella won't be released on 4K. It could mean three things:
1. They don't plan to release anymore films on 4K due to probably low sales of TLK and TLM (I'm guessing, I don't have actual sale numbers).
2. They don't plan to release pre Renaissance films on 4K cause it is more expensive and they don't see a reason to do so.
3. They just didn't have time to prepare a 4K version of Cinderella for this specific release.

I think the release of Aladdin could answer us some of the questions:
1. If Aladdin gets a 4K, that means Disney is not done with 4Ks and we might expect at least Beauty and the Beast to come out on 4k.
2. If Aladdin doesn't get a 4K then no more 4K releases.

I just want to say that the fact that Cinderella doesn't get a 4K doesn't say anything about Aladdin since they are not the same case. Aladdin is a digital CAPS film whose 4K process will only involve upscaling the current master while Cinderella is a Cel animated film whose 4K process involves scanning the film and restoring it - it is a much more complex process than merely upscaling digital files.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

This will probably be an unpopular opinion, but bear with me:

All of you clamoring for 4K versions of traditionally animated films... what is it you are hoping to see??

Lets analize this for a moment: the character animation is composed of outlines and flat coloring. The only thing that could possibly be improved here is the crispness of the linework, which is already super sharp on a blu ray. And lets not forget these characters were animated in 16 field paper, which isnt that big, so the lines can only be so sharp on a large screen.
So then there is the backgrounds... again, not created on paper THAT big. So... what do you think you will see with more definition? the grain of the paper? some of the smaller brushstrokes?

Im not saying 4K is pointless: for a live action film or a CG film, you can see the textures better. And for live action, it can hinge on the type of lens and film stock. But in a traditionally animated film... there are no textures! Nice paintings (for backgrounds) at least... and those were not that large to begin with.

The mere fact that the 90s films were created at 2K already shows that there is a limitation to the detail. And upconverting... you cant create more detail when it wasnt there to begin with.

Just my 2 cents. Now lets all pray for a proper Cinderella restoration so we can actually see the linework...
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I personally hope for a better version for Beauty and the Beast. That didn't happen with the standard Blu-ray, but it might with a 4K.
In addition, there is HDR to consider, which supposed to be a major advantage for animated films, giving them a much more "realistic" look than the oversaturated Blu-rays.
Moreover, in Cel animated films this should have been a major improvement if Disney hadn't DNRed them to death. Sleeping Beauty should look better even in 8K.
I somewhat agree about digital films made by CAPS or ToonBoom. Currently, until Disney proves me wrong, with the exception of Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast, I don't see them releasing CAPS films on 4K. However CGI films are no different, they were made with a maximum resolution of 2K as well, and if I'm not mistaken the earlier ones were made with even lower resolution than that. So I don't know why you think 4K improves CGI, but not CAPS.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Beauty and the Beast has had perfect releases so far. The restoration might be questionable, but the bonus features were amazing.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Beauty and the Beast has had perfect releases so far. The restoration might be questionable, but the bonus features were amazing.
No question about the bonus features. Both Platinum and Diamond were packed with great features. The film itself however... I know that the colors are a matter of taste and tbh I don't think the 2D bluray looks bad or like a "Saturday morning cartoon" or whatever purists want to name it. But I think the film could have looked better, could have had the more "prestige" feeling it had back then. Like I said it's a matter of taste and that's fine. Regardless the mistake shot at the end of 'Something There' is inexcusable, Disney not bothering to fix that is inexcusable - They fixed The Little Mermaid and The Lion King, why not Beauty and the Beast?
I personally watch the Laserdisc whenever I want to watch the film, but it's not optimal. That's why I hope the film gets released on 4K more than any film for the hope they used a better master.

Cinderella is another one. And I'm gonna say something that a lot will not agree with me, especially film purists who love grain and noise and whatnot, but in my opinion all of Disney's "Vault" films look great on bluray with the exception of Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella, they're the only ones that need to be revised.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

All of you clamoring for 4K versions of traditionally animated films... what is it you are hoping to see??
I was about to ask same thing. Even with live action is it really that important for everything to look so pristinely clear you can see the pores on actor's faces or the stitches on someone's shirt? Also I currently have a 32 inch tv and I probably will never be able to afford anything bigger than a 40 inch, would it even make a difference on smaller tv sets?

the only reason I think Id feel really compelled to get a 4k of a Disney or other animated film is if its a special release that comes with interesting new extras or it has a corrected restoration. I agree that B&TB really needs to go back to its more de-saturated laser-disc appearance and the other films that have been dnr'ed to death need to be fixed too.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I have no interest in 4K even for live-action films, but I agree that it's especially pointless with animated films.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It's true.

It's true animated films on 4K probably don't look much better if at all, even though I bought TLM on 4K anyway (by the way I heard TLM on 4K sold better than TLK on 4K. TLM is really Disney's most popular film after all).

It's true that the wrong shot at the end of "Something There" is inexcusable and must be fixed and released to the public.

It's true that Cinderella's restoration is the worst one, after The Sword in the Stone, and both are inexcusable and should be fixed and released to the public.

Unfortunately, BatB's colors are arguable, as they are not the theatrical ones, but they are the ones the original creators of the film want the film to look like.
Last edited by Disney Duster on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Duster wrote:It's true.

Animated films on 4K probably don't look much better if at all, but I bought TLM on 4K (by the way I heard TLM on 4K sold better than TLK on 4K. TLM is really Disney's most popular film after all).

It's true that the wrong shot at the end of "Something There" is inexcusable.

It's true that Cinderella's restoration is the worst one after The Sword in the Stone, and both are inexcusable.
With Sword in the Stone at least there's the previous DVD that people can get. Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella do not have that option.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

farerb wrote: Cinderella is another one. And I'm gonna say something that a lot will not agree with me, especially film purists who love grain and noise and whatnot, but in my opinion all of Disney's "Vault" films look great on bluray with the exception of Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella, they're the only ones that need to be revised.
Agreed. You could make an argument for Peter Pan or Fantasia, but BATB and Cinderella have very clearly been mishandled.
unprincess wrote: the only reason I think Id feel really compelled to get a 4k of a Disney or other animated film is if its a special release that comes with interesting new extras or it has a corrected restoration. I agree that B&TB really needs to go back to its more de-saturated laser-disc appearance and the other films that have been dnr'ed to death need to be fixed too.
I think most of us on here are only really interested in select 4K titles because of extra bonus features (like an extended live-action Cinderella) or a new restoration (BATB or the animated Cinderella). I know that the only 4K title I own is The Incredibles, and only because I missed it on Blu-Ray.
farerb wrote: With Sword in the Stone at least there's the previous DVD that people can get. Beauty and the Beast and Cinderella do not have that option.
Agreed. I'm content with DVD if I have to (for films like the extended edition of Pocahontas or even Alice in Wonderland) but there's no excuse for being stuck with VHS or laserdisc transfers in this day and age.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

That is true farerb and JeanGrey. By the way sorry I edited my post to add about the BatB colors.