The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Clindor »

cuau_cg wrote:
Clindor wrote:Oh gee... Now it seems official there will be no 4K release of Cinderella, or not before a long, long time. What a shame and a missed opportunity... :cry: It isn’t too exciting if only the movies from the 90’s and the few recent ones get a 4K release. It would have made much more sense to release « Cinderella » in 4K instead of ‘The Lion King’ knowing that the first has been restored in 4K, and the latter was mastered in 2K :? :?
I honestly don't think Cinderella has been restored and mastered in 4K (yet). This blu-ray I think will have the same crappy 2K master from the Diamond Edition.
Oh yes, every restoration made by Disney for movies from « the vault » has been made in 4K since the restoration of « Bambi » in 2004 (expect maybe the movies made after « The Little Mermaid » whose masters are digital only and in 2K: in those cases, the picture has to be upscaled).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Clindor wrote:
cuau_cg wrote: I honestly don't think Cinderella has been restored and mastered in 4K (yet). This blu-ray I think will have the same crappy 2K master from the Diamond Edition.
Oh yes, every restoration made by Disney for movies from « the vault » has been made in 4K since the restoration of « Bambi » in 2004 (expect maybe the movies made after « The Little Mermaid » whose masters are digital only and in 2K: in those cases, the picture has to be upscaled).
They were scanned in 4K, but the restoration was done in 2K.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote:
Clindor wrote: Oh yes, every restoration made by Disney for movies from « the vault » has been made in 4K since the restoration of « Bambi » in 2004 (expect maybe the movies made after « The Little Mermaid » whose masters are digital only and in 2K: in those cases, the picture has to be upscaled).
They were scanned in 4K, but the restoration was done in 2K.
Really ?!? So what would be the point then ?? Because the day they intend to screen or release their movies in 4K, they would have to restart the whole work from point zero again.

I heard that these « big » restorations they have been doing on movies from the Disney Vault costed around 20 millions $ each time. I’m a bit surprised it would be for a 2K restoration only. And I’m pretty sure I read from an interview made at the Disney studios that it hasn’t been the case since at least the restorations on « Sleeping Beauty » and « Pinocchio ».
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Clindor wrote:
Really ?!? So what would be the point then ?? Because the day they intend to screen or release their movies in 4K, they would have to restart the whole work from point zero again.

I heard that these « big » restorations they have been doing on movies from the Disney Vault costed around 20 millions $ each time. I’m a bit surprised it would be for a 2K restoration only. And I’m pretty sure I read from an interview made at the Disney studios that it hasn’t been the case since at least the restorations on « Sleeping Beauty » and « Pinocchio ».
I heard otherwise. No one probably thought 15 years ago that 4K will be a thing. I mean why then The Little Mermaid got a new restoration for its 4K when the last one was made in 2013?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

But it doesn't matter since it doesn't seem likely that pre Renaissance films are getting released in 4K. No 4K for Dumbo, Cinderella and Mary Poppins.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote: I mean why then The Little Mermaid got a new restoration for its 4K when the last one was made in 2013?
It was a very minor « restoration » (if you insist on calling it that way): they just worked on the colors to make them more dynamic. According to Blu-ray.com that’s the only difference that stands out between the new restoration and the previous one. And knowing that the 2013 restoration of the « Little Mermaid » was not the best made by Disney, I’m not surprised they worked on it a bit more to optimize the visual result of one of their first titles to be released on 4K Blu-ray (for a 2D animated classic).
Last edited by Clindor on Tue May 28, 2019 11:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote: I heard otherwise. No one probably thought 15 years ago that 4K will be a thing.
On the contrary, they perfectly knew back then like everybody else it would eventually come and by using a master in 4K, it would benefit for the long term (for both screenings and home video releases). Also Sony had been preparing its UHD format since 2010 at least (that’s when some of the first press reviews appeared if I’m correct).
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

farerb wrote:But it doesn't matter since it doesn't seem likely that pre Renaissance films are getting released in 4K. No 4K for Dumbo, Cinderella and Mary Poppins.
Well they should! That’s such a shame if we get these movies in 4K streaming on Disney+ in a more compressed version but not on physical support..

I’m not surprised regarding Dumbo or Mary Poppins. They are not the best titles to be released first on 4K Blu-rays when it comes to nostalgia properties. But yeah, I’m a bit concerned regarding Cinderella.. It would have been a nice start..
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Now that Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians have been released as Movie Club exclusives, do you think they'll get general releases, in the Signature Collection? Otherwise, the only ones left would be Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin, right? And maybe Fantasia, if they decide to release it in the collection. But seeing that it wasn't released in the Platinum or the Diamond line, I don't think so.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I was wrong about the Target cover having the wrong sizes of wheels. I was wrong about which way the coach was facing. Anyway, someone did a fan edit of the Target cover:

Isn't it beautiful?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Now that's the dream cover ! What a wonderful job they did.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Now that Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians have been released as Movie Club exclusives, do you think they'll get general releases, in the Signature Collection? Otherwise, the only ones left would be Sleeping Beauty and Aladdin, right? And maybe Fantasia, if they decide to release it in the collection. But seeing that it wasn't released in the Platinum or the Diamond line, I don't think so.
The DMC exclusives make me think they'll get a general release and won't be a part of the Signature Collection, but they still might just after the rest will be released.
My guess for now is that Aladdin and Sleeping Beauty are next (don't know the order though) then Fantasia, then 101 Dalmatians, then The Jungle Book. I'm also pretty sure they'll release Beauty and the Beast in 4K some time in the near future (probably 2021).
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney Duster wrote:I was wrong about the Target cover having the wrong sizes of wheels. I was wrong about which way the coach was facing. Anyway, someone did a fan edit of the Target cover:

Isn't it beautiful?
Oh, yes. I saw this on Instagram a few days ago. The user has made some great edits on Disney related artwork. She / he has even twerked the Princesses' faces in Ralph Breaks the Internet, to make them look like in their original movies.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Oh wow, do you know her username at all ? Would like to have a look !
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Atlantica wrote:Oh wow, do you know her username at all ? Would like to have a look !
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bx0SFqGI3Kb/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

She's also done amazing work with editing the Disney Store dolls to better resemble the animated characters. More on-topic is how she's edited the transfers of BATB and Cinderella (plus TLM TV Series) to be more accurate to the original films. There's a world of difference between the original Cinderella and the abysmal restoration done on the Platinum/Diamond Edition which is even more apparent from her comparison.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

wow her work is great! That is how I remember B&TB looking like when I saw it in theaters and on laserdisc in the early 90's, not the overly saturated candy colors of the current disc releases. :up:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:Anyway, someone did a fan edit of the Target cover.
It's such a vast improvement over the official one. Her body is more proportionate and her face is actually on-model! :o Why is this fan-made? This should have been the real deal. Why can't Disney hire someone who's actually competent to illustrate their covers? :x
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Cinderella’s dress is so much more beautiful when it’s silver.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

That edit looks odd to me because at night white/silver would have a blue tint to it.