The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by Vlad »

Isn't Aladdin available anymore on the Diamond Edition Blu-ray?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Guys, is it worth me importing this edition of Mermaid ? Would really love your thoughts :)
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

So I decided to order the Best Buy steelbook since I'm not impressed with the Digipack. I feel like Paige O'Hara's paintings might look better than the promotional image, also it does make it special, especially for one who's a Beauty and the Beast fan like me. I hope they do the same with a Beauty and the Beast 4K steelbook in the future. I might get the standard edition as well once Amazon gets itself together.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Tell us your thoughts on the steelbook after you get it!

So excited to hear about the rumors of the Cinderella release. Hopefully, Disney gives this the long overdue restoration it deserves. I wonder if Sleeping Beauty will come this year too though because of all the new merchandise in the Disney Store.
Atlantica wrote:Guys, is it worth me importing this edition of Mermaid ? Would really love your thoughts :)
I'm pretty sure you have the Diamond Edition already which personally I think is the better version. The two or three new bonus materials are all flimsy features at best, with the exception of the new Menken feature with the leading ladies of his movies. However, from what I've heard, most of that is basically regurgitated information from previous bonus features, so you probably aren't missing anything there either.

The main menu is the exact same as in the Diamond Edition to the point that many people felt they had been tricked and been given the Diamond Edition lol. The restoration is new and has mixed reviews because general audiences love it while purists despise it. Basically, the colors are brighter which can be a good or bad. I think the Diamond Edition colors were more accurate to the original myself and Disney has an annoying habit of brightening up their films to look more modern.
Sicoe Vlad wrote:Isn't Aladdin available anymore on the Diamond Edition Blu-ray?
It's technically not available in stores anymore (or not supposed to) but sometimes it shows up on Disney Movie Rewards. For example, the Diamond Editions of Cinderella and The Little Mermaid are up on DMR right now.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

What happened to Fantasia’s release? :?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Probably won't get it till 2020 since Disney to release it every decade or so.
ImageImage
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Cinderella so soon? I am excited my favorite film of all time will be coming soon, but...so soon? I'd rather it come out for the 70th Anniversary. And it had better get a proper restoration where it actually restores it to it's original glory.

Hey...so has The Little Mermaid been restored like...3 times? It got restored for the Platinum, then again for the Diamond? Then again for this Signature? It's not a CAPS film so they can't change the colors willy-nilly like they can for CAPS films. Do they just brighten the colors or are they legit restorations? They sound like legit restorations because people said the grain is handled differently in every release The Little Mermaid has had. Have they restored it this many times because it's one of their most popular titles?!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Disney Duster wrote:Cinderella so soon? I am excited my favorite film of all time will be coming soon, but...so soon? I'd rather it come out for the 70th Anniversary. And it had better get a proper restoration where it actually restores it to it's original glory.

Hey...so has The Little Mermaid been restored like...3 times? It got restored for the Platinum, then again for the Diamond? Then again for this Signature? It's not a CAPS film so they can't change the colors willy-nilly like they can for CAPS films. Do they just brighten the colors or are they legit restorations? They sound like legit restorations because people said the grain is handled differently in every release The Little Mermaid has had. Have they restored it this many times because it's one of their most popular titles?!
Yes, The Little Mermaid has been restored three times. The Platinum Edition is atrocious, wrong colors everywhere.
I think they wanted a new restoration for the Diamond Edition for the 3D version, and they might have focused on that rather then animation errors and colors, it does seem to be the closer to the original film.
I think they needed to make a new restoration for the 4K.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

It would be so surprising if they decide to release both Cinderella and Sleeping Beauty as the next entries in the Signature Collection. We'd have 3 Princess films in one year. But I guess it would make sense, because the Maleficent sequel comes out this fall, and a Sleeping Beauty re-release would be the perfect way to promote it.
JeanGreyForever wrote:
Sicoe Vlad wrote:Isn't Aladdin available anymore on the Diamond Edition Blu-ray?
It's technically not available in stores anymore (or not supposed to) but sometimes it shows up on Disney Movie Rewards. For example, the Diamond Editions of Cinderella and The Little Mermaid are up on DMR right now.
Cool! The Little Mermaid's Diamond Edition is still available on there, with the new Signature Blu-ray out now?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sicoe Vlad wrote: Cool! The Little Mermaid's Diamond Edition is still available on there, with the new Signature Blu-ray out now?
Yeah, both it and Cinderella are available in both Blu-Ray and DVD packaging for their respective Blu-Ray/DVD combo packs.

The Jungle Book Diamond Edition is also available in Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital HD as well as just DVD. They even have the Diamond Edition of Sleeping Beauty but it's DVD only right now.
ImageImage
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Thank you for your breakdown JeanGreyForever, much appreciated. I can't believe the menus are the same ?!?!?!? How beyond cheap is that ?! Will save myself £40 to import it from amazon.com. What a shame, this is the first Mermaid release I have ever passed up !
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't blame you. The Diamond is still the definitive version of the film, but the Signature isn't as bad as the Platinum, imo. For me, it's just about the cover and it being my #1 film (Disney or otherwise), because I don't expect new bonus features from Disney releases anymore.

If anyone who purchased the BestBuy version would be willing to post in-person pictures of it (+ the back and inside), I would be very grateful. :)
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
MattDean
Gold Classic Collection

Post by MattDean »

Hello!

Sorry for interrupting the thread but was wondering if anyone can help me to get a copy of the corrected/replaced The Little Mermaid Diamond Edition blu-ray. I live in the UK and don’t want to risk buying through eBay/Amazon in case I get sent the wrong one.

Maybe you want to sell yours to get the Signature Edition?!

I placed a request in the Trade forum but that forum doesn’t get many visitors...

Thanks in advance!

Matt :wave:
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

Just finished watching the new blu ray disc. Some scenes looked noticeably and flatteringly less grainy, but don't worry it's done in a tasteful way. And I like that the colors are a tad more vibrant now. Also noticed they fixed the disappearing ship in the climax.

By the way, it's the film's 4th restoration, there was one done in 1997 as well.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I think it's the only film which got a different restoration in each release.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Atlantica wrote:Thank you for your breakdown JeanGreyForever, much appreciated. I can't believe the menus are the same ?!?!?!? How beyond cheap is that ?! Will save myself £40 to import it from amazon.com. What a shame, this is the first Mermaid release I have ever passed up !
Glad it helped. Yeah, I was astonished about the menus too. The only Signature Edition I own is The Lion King, but the menu for that is different from the Diamond Edition's. I'm not sure if this is the first time they reused a Diamond Edition menu for a Signature Edition, or if they've done this even before Mermaid with a prior release (like Peter Pan or Lady and the Tramp).

Interestingly enough, The Little Mermaid menu on both Blu-Rays is basically the same one used in the DVD Platinum Edition too so maybe Disney just really likes it.
rodis wrote:Also noticed they fixed the disappearing ship in the climax.
I wasn't aware there was an issue in the Diamond Edition with a ship disappearing.
ImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you farerb and rodis about The Little Mermaid restoration info! The Little Mermaid is special, and it has gotten such special treatment!!! I hope Cinderella gets her special treatment too...actually, restoring it right just once is all it needs, just make sure the right colors and detail are there, Disney!!! And please a different menu, a good cover, an audio commentary, and a pencil test of the transformation as bonus features!!!
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Disney's Divinity wrote:If anyone who purchased the BestBuy version would be willing to post in-person pictures of it (+ the back and inside), I would be very grateful. :)
Here you go.
TLM1.jpg
TLM1.jpg (66.95 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
TLM2.jpg
TLM2.jpg (56.41 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
TLM3.jpg
TLM3.jpg (59.94 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Thank you so much! :)

It's cute. I might get it from a misc. seller at a later time because I can't help myself. Hopefully, Disney will allow O'Hara to make a cover for the next B&tB release, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
rodis
Special Edition

Post by rodis »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Atlantica wrote:Thank you for your breakdown JeanGreyForever, much appreciated. I can't believe the menus are the same ?!?!?!? How beyond cheap is that ?! Will save myself £40 to import it from amazon.com. What a shame, this is the first Mermaid release I have ever passed up !
Glad it helped. Yeah, I was astonished about the menus too. The only Signature Edition I own is The Lion King, but the menu for that is different from the Diamond Edition's. I'm not sure if this is the first time they reused a Diamond Edition menu for a Signature Edition, or if they've done this even before Mermaid with a prior release (like Peter Pan or Lady and the Tramp).

Interestingly enough, The Little Mermaid menu on both Blu-Rays is basically the same one used in the DVD Platinum Edition too so maybe Disney just really likes it.
rodis wrote:Also noticed they fixed the disappearing ship in the climax.
I wasn't aware there was an issue in the Diamond Edition with a ship disappearing.
It was always there, it just got fixed now for the first time.