The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
geniuswalt
Gold Classic Collection

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by geniuswalt »

Wow, all hopes of meaty bonus features have been dashed so quickly...it's not even funny.

except for the first one and the alternate sequence:
In Walt’s Words: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – For the first time ever, hear Walt himself talk about Snow White.
Alternate Sequence: The Prince Meets Snow White – A never–before-seen story board sequence where the Prince meets Snow White.

who needs these?

Iconography – Explore how this film influences pop culture, art, and fashion.
@DisneyAnimation: Designing Disney’s First Princess – Modern day Disney artists discuss the design of Snow White and how it influenced the look of some of your favorite Disney characters.
The Fairest Facts of Them All: 7 Facts You May Now Know About Snow White – Disney Channel star Sofia Carson reveals seven intriguing facts about Snow White. :roll:
Snow White in Seventy Seconds – Rap along with this hip reimagining of the story. :cry:

No double dip for me this time.
Last edited by geniuswalt on Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, I did consider that Sotiris, but I thought that couldn't be, and that maybe the "inspired by" part meant films like The Jungle Book or The Aristocats...until I read Beauty and the Beast would be next. I really don't like the idea of Walt's signature being on movies he had no say in.

I also now see there are only two good bonus features, the two first ones geniuswalt mentioned. I may actually not get this release...that's rare...
unprincess wrote:^the art on the top and bottom banners of that page are really nice, why cant we get art like that as the covers?
That art is from the recent streams of Disney Princess books. It's illustrations that look just like images from the film, but with shading and lighting. Cinderella got it, then The Little Mermaid, then Sleeping Beauty, then Aladdin. Usually it came with each movie being released to home video, so that's why Snow White is next. You can view this art on the Disney Princess web site in the "Read [insert Disney Princess' name here]'s Story" section.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

geniuswalt wrote:Wow, all hopes of meaty bonus features have been dashed so quickly...it's not even funny.
Indeed. The lack of care for this release is insulting and shameful. They could have easily ported over more bonus features from previous releases or included the new Behind the Magic documentary airing on ABC. There's really no excuse for that. I'm definitely not going to be buying it.
Snow White in Seventy Seconds – Rap along with this hip reimagining of the story.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, this is an unfortunate proof of how skimpy the new bonus features are becoming. Heck, even "Aladdin" was a clear evidence of that! It didn't even have the @DisneyAnimation-featurette and some of the features were just silly nonsense! It's funny that the longest featurette was that of the Broadway musical and even that was a little fluffy at times! The most substantial feature was the Genie Outtakes, since it was dedicated to Williams. But "Aladdin" had the most dissapointing bonus material since the Diamond Edition of "Bambi".

It's contradicting that "Pinocchio" doesn't even get to close the Diamond line, as it did with the Platinum line.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Two new exclusives:

1) Target Exclusive Digibook:

Pre-order

2) Best Buy Exclusive Lenticular Packaging:

Pre-order
Last edited by stevemcqueen on Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, I did consider that Sotiris, but I thought that couldn't be, and that maybe the "inspired by" part meant films like The Jungle Book or The Aristocats...until I read Beauty and the Beast would be next. I really don't like the idea of Walt's signature being on movies he had no say in.
Here is what I wish, that DHE had the guts to A.) Make this new "Signature Edition" about all the A-List films, specials and shorts Walt produced that were both Live-Action AND Animated. Imagine if it sort of merged part of the Platinum Line with the Disney Treasures line and some. Such a line could house such classics as Snow White, the original Mickey Mouse shorts, 20,000 League Under the Sea, Davey Crockett, The Parent Trap, Mary Poppins, Cinderella, Peter Pan, the original Donald Duck shorts and so on. Pack it with the kind of extras that classic Disney fans would be interested in and oh my gosh, it would almost be like Disney was putting their heritage back in the center ring again.

I also wish that B.) DHE had the guts to release all the non-Walt titles in a separate, yet parallel line. Such a line could house either just modern animated hits like Lion King and Aladdin, or it could be like what I'm suggesting the "Signature Edition" line be and also house live-action hits like the first Pirates of the Caribbean, Newsies, 1994's The Santa Clause and so on. There are a lot of the classic live-action films from the 80's and 90's that are not on Blu-ray and had no extras on the DVD, so this could be a way to fix that.

One line could be the big Spring release and the other could be the big Fall release. Make it also that each release is actually a few titles released at a time, just like the Treasures, and there you go. Also make it not as limited as the Treasures. Seriously, such a series of lines could go on for a while.

If they did something like this, I'd really like to believe it could be used to get classic Disney fans excited, and maybe even feel like the company isn't neglecting them for Star Wars and Marvel fans. But, they won't do it. Wouldn't be surprised if they never even thought of the idea or something like it.

For me, it would take some seriously cool new extras to even think about buying these films again. I don't really care what modern animators think about a film from the 1930's and the whole rap song thing frightens me. Gone are the days they get A-list talent like Celine Dion or Barbra Streisand to sing their song I guess. I'm also sick of re-buying the same Disney movies over and over again. I only have so much money and every time I buy a Disney movie again, I don't have money for things like Hanna-Barrera or Don Bluth or Peanuts. I do have other non-Disney collections and they keep getting pushed back in favor of "having the most epic Disney collection ever." Kind of tired of that, especially if DIsney isn't going to take their releases seriously anymore.

For Disney to get me to buy Snow White for the fifth time, I'd need to see some serious new extras. The kind of stuff that was made from the era of the film or is about stuff from the era of the film, and lots of it. Maybe pair Snow White with every classic Disney short made in 1937? I don't know, something like that. Since I doubt Disney is going to do that, at this point the only way they are going to get me to buy anymore of their vintage animation library is if it's the rest of the package films not yet on Blu-ray (and hopefully un-edited) and if they start being more serious about putting their TV animation out there on DVD. I NEED DuckTales Volume 4, dang it!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Your line ideas sound good.

Like you, I don't want to keep buying these films over and over if there aren't any new good bonus features on them (or if they have ruining restorations...).

I wouldn't want shorts released around the time Snow White was made, but anything that pertains to how Snow Whit was made, that I would include.
Khonnor
Special Edition

Post by Khonnor »

stevemcqueen wrote:Two new exclusives:

1) Target Exclusive Digibook:

Pre-order

2) Best Buy Exclusive Lenticular Packaging:

(Image yet to be revealed)

Pre-order

Is there anyone kind enough and willing to purchase these for me and have them shipped to The Netherlands? Or keep them safe until October when I'll be in WDW for 22 days? Because I'm thinking these will be sold out by then.... I'll ofcourse pay for everything through paypal or bank transfer, no problem.
Hardbackyoyo
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Hardbackyoyo »

I'm a sucker for bonus features. I already have the Platinum and Diamond Editions, but I'll still buy the Signature Edition for these few new bonuses only. The Diamond Edition will still be my main source for watching Snow White.
stevemcqueen
Gold Classic Collection

Post by stevemcqueen »

Cover art for the Best Buy Exclusive Lenticular Packaging of Snow White has been revealed:

TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

^ That looks much better than the regular and Target editions. I'm still going to pass on this release as I already have the Diamond Blu-ray, but that does look very nice.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's too bad this release has nothing worth getting, because I love that cover. The Magic Mirror is one of my favorite images from SW&tSD; I wish they'd use it in their cover art for the film more often.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Disney's Divinity wrote:It's too bad this release has nothing worth getting, because I love that cover. The Magic Mirror is one of my favorite images from SW&tSD; I wish they'd use it in their cover art for the film more often.
Agreed. Although I hate how the Best Buy covers are only on the slipcover. The actual blu-ray cover is the exact same as the regular release.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
chadhobbick
Gold Classic Collection

Post by chadhobbick »

So just to confirm this release has nothing new picture wise and it's just a re-release under a different label? I have the blu-ray release and I dread re-buying everything over for nothing new.

I really wish Disney would just get rid of the vault system and just keep their movies on the shelf for everyone to purchase whenever they want. I would be okay w/ that and could totally get on board w/their justification of making their films in the $30 range b/c of the brand name of their more famous titles.
I find you pompous, judgemental, and completely self-absorbed.........would you be my friend?
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

chadhobbick wrote:So just to confirm this release has nothing new picture wise and it's just a re-release under a different label? I have the blu-ray release and I dread re-buying everything over for nothing new.
Basically. The transfer is probably the same, and while there are some new special features, they probably aren't worth purchasing the same movie again. I'd say the only reason you might consider re-buying this is if you want the digital copy.
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

I remember when Disney gave coupons.. not anymore lol. :lol:
They don't even give 5 points away for Christmas! :x
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Remember, there may be two bonus features worth getting this release:

In Walt’s Words: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – For the first time ever, hear Walt himself talk about Snow White.

Alternate Sequence: The Prince Meets Snow White – A never–before-seen story board sequence where the Prince meets Snow White.
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Disney Duster wrote:In Walt’s Words: Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs – For the first time ever, hear Walt himself talk about Snow White.
I saw one official site listing this as a "film commentary track by Walt Disney"... Now it may not be recorded in terms of that but from what I gathered it will be a film length commentary featuring Disney whether fully recorded or excerpts taken from other areas.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney Duster wrote:Remember, there may be two bonus features worth getting this release:

I don't know if it's enough. Disney keeps playing this game where they have like one (maybe two) new bonus feature to entice collectors to re-buy all the same stuff all over again. I think I'm going to need more to make a 5th time worth it. I've paid Disney so many times to own this film on VHS, DVD and finally Blu-ray. I think I'd rather buy a title I've never owned before. Disney still has a lot of unreleased titles I'm dying to pick up. Make it happen Disney!
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

nomad2010 wrote:I saw one official site listing this as a "film commentary track by Walt Disney"... Now it may not be recorded in terms of that but from what I gathered it will be a film length commentary featuring Disney whether fully recorded or excerpts taken from other areas.
That's likely referring to film's commentary track they produced in 2001 (on the Platinum Edition DVD & Diamond Edition Blu-Ray/DVD), which is hosted by John Canemaker and features archival audio extracts of Walt Disney discussing the film.

"In Walt's Words" sounds more like the same-named featurette on the Peter Pan Platinum Edition DVD (and carried over to the Diamond Edition Blu-Ray). The Peter Pan version was a dramatic (and abridged) recreation/narration of an article that Walt Disney wrote for "Brief" magazine explaining why he made the film. I'm guessing that Disney probably found a similar type of article in their archives, this one Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs specific, and made another dramatic recreation.

Either that or they're just showing the Snow White-specific portion of Fletcher Markle's 1963 interview with Disney that was filmed for CBC:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N7ZkWfD0ELE[/youtube]

Another possibility would be Cecil B. DeMille's 1936-8 radio interviews with Walt Disney. The 1936 and 1937 interviews were on the LaserDisc and DVD, but not the Blu-Ray, while the 1938 interview was only on the LaserDisc. They might have set the audio to photos/film clips for similar effect to "In Walt's Words."

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?