The Walt Disney Signature Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
MickeyMouseboy
Platinum Edition

Re: The Walt Disney Signature Collection

Post by MickeyMouseboy »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Well, except for Sleeping Beauty and Fantasia, the animated films from Walt's era aren't spectacular, in terms of visuals, so I don't think that a 4K edition would be a dramatic improvement over the HD edition.

That is not true. All Walt era animated films were photographed on film which if you know filmed movies can go up past 8K in resolution. So yes they would be a great deal of resolution added into a 4K release.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. Never mind what I said :lol:
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Snow White and Pinocchio and Bambi have spectacular visuals, too!
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Well, true.... they were photographed on film, but the original artwork (and film print) is only so big.

Now, Sleeping Beauty has the benefit of being photographed in 70mm, so there would be more detail, AND the artwork for it was bigger.

But again... on a traditionally animated film, what exactly are you hoping to see in 4K? Brushstrokes? Paper grain?

I was just watching a video about Disney, and they juxtaposed segment from Snow White with Princess/Frog... it is baffling how waxy the latter looks, and how textured the former looked. SW was much more.... artsy? Even if the animation wasn't as fluid. But looks at the designs of the beds, all the furnishings, the wood textures... heck, the dry-brushing on SW's hair....
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Yes, I bet the larger animated films would show more detail and so would the, well, more detailed ones like Sleeping Beauty and the earliest Disney features which are more artsy indeed.

When they scanned Sleeping Beauty and restored it for Blu-ray, they actually had to scale back the high-def because you could see the paper grain!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm not counting on any 4K that actually needs a restoration job. It's the fifth year of the format and we haven't seen anything about any of pre TLM films. As far as I know TLM got a 4K release because they already made a 4K restoration for the 3D release, and the reason that both The Sword in the Stone and The Black Cauldron got it is because of Disney Plus (Black Cauldron didn't have any HD restoration previously and TSitS had an atrocious restoration that Disney couldn't ignore).
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

The Jungle Book will be re-released next year and this is the cover:

Apparently it will not be part of the Signature Collection and won't even have a slipcover. I'm also guessing that it will have the same disc as the Diamond Edition. In that case it's a pass for me and I'll just keep the Diamond Edition and the DMC Exclusive.

Two years ago I would have probably done a comparison between the Diamond Collection and the Signature Collection (cover arts, menus, bonus features, transfers), but at this point I don't really care anymore. I'll just say that I prefer having a collection with Pinocchio rather than The Jungle Book, though I wish Fantasia, Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland and The Jungle Book have been included.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Cool cover. How come it won't have a slipcover?
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sicoe Vlad wrote:Cool cover. How come it won't have a slipcover?
It seems that Disney stopped producing slipcovers for standard Blu-ray releases unless they are DMC exclusives, it's also the case for new films as well.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Yeah, you're right. Or for 4K releases.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yes, it's similar to how when Blu-ray started then eventually DVDs didn't get slipcovers anymore. So now it seems that 4Ks are the ones that get them while Blu-rays are treated like DVDs.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

I hate how my favorite character, Bagheera, didn’t make the cover. But I like the inclusion of the temple ruins. I take it back... on second look I see Baggy on the branch above the scene.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

It's a reused cover from the Diamond Edition:

As much as I hate vertical titles, I think it's better because it doesn't hide one of the characters. The DMC's cover is prettier than both though.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I'm definitely buying, since I missed out on the Diamond Edition. I hope it will have a slipcover though .
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Apparently a Blu-ray release of the entire series of Chip 'n' Dale: Rescue Rangers is coming in February, I believe DMC only. I'm glad I never bought the DVDs for that one, since I wouldn't want to dip twice. Hopefully, this points to other Blu-ray releases for TV series in the future.

There's also a preliminary cover for an 85th anniversary release of Snow White. I'll see if I can post it later, I'm using a phone to post right now.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Snow White And The Seven Dwarfs Anniversary Edition (Club Exclusive) Blu-ray + DVD + Digital Code
G ● 1937
|
Club Price $24.99
Save $4.96
Regular Price $29.95

Rating: G
Available to own 3/22/22.

Disney Movie Club Exclusive Cover Art and Bonus Content. While Supplies Last.

Includes Blu-ray, DVD and Digital Code of the movie.

Temporary price reduction. Save over $4! Counts as 1 regular priced title & 1 unit toward minimum purchase commitment. Not eligible for additional discounts.

Reserve online and get a free collectible lithograph. Add title to cart and look for your lithograph at checkout. Limit of 3 per order. Size 6.75" x 5". Design may vary. Not available for individual sale. While supplies last. Offer subject to expiration.

Plot Summary
No film in history has captured the world's imagination like Walt Disney's first full-length animated masterpiece. To celebrate its 85th Anniversary, this Club Exclusive release includes the Original 1937 Theatrical Movie Poster Art plus a Blu-ray Disc with New Bonus Content "How Snow White Changed Animation Forever". Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was not only a groundbreaking movie for The Walt Disney Company, but a watershed movie for Animation. Many techniques that were established and even invented for Snow White are still being used today!

Join the beautiful princess Snow White as she escapes her jealous stepmother, the queen, and befriends a lovable group of dwarfs. But when she falls under the queen's wicked spell, only true love's kiss can save her.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

That is so cool. I'm loving the cover art, and the addition of new bonus content.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Wow the cover is so beautiful and the bonus content sounds great!
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I finally got the Target digipack of Cinderella. I really wanted at least one of these Target releases and I needed a few bucks so my order would be eligible for free shipping, so I decided to get Cinderella because it was relatively cheap, it also has one of the better designs (unlike The Little Mermaid) and when I got the standard release back then, the digital code redeemed the Diamond Edition for some reason.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I really hope you enjoy the digi pack. I know I do.