Bambi (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Barbossa
Collector's Edition

Bambi (Live-Action)

Post by Barbossa »

Next up on the live-action slate... Bambi!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uV8835KMj5w
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Bambi live-action movie

Post by disneyprincess11 »

YOU SCARED ME rotfl
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Bambi (Live-Action)

Post by blackcauldron85 »

https://insidethemagic.net/2019/08/bamb ... on-remake/

WeGotItCovered is their source, so grain of salt...
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I wonder if Jon Favreau will be directing this too. I think because Bambi, unlike The Lion King, is episodic in nature and its plot is very thin, he'll have more space to add new narrative elements to it like he did with The Jungle Book.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don’t trust the source. They’re just slinging out classic titles to see what actually sticks. A Bambi remake would be much riskier than The Lion King. We’re talking a budget somewhere between $180 and $250 million (going off the budgets for The Jungle Book and The Lion King) for an 80 year old property that doesn’t have a plot.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Is the rumor that Bambi is getting remade true?

Skyler Shuler: No.
Source: https://twitter.com/SkylerShuler/status ... 8360272898
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Still, I could see this one getting made down the line though, despite the Dumbo re-make under-performing. I think I'd actually enjoy seeing this one. Because there isn't much plot / dialogue to lift, a new film would have breathing room to do a few new things here and there possibly.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Honestly, I’m really surprised Disney hasn’t showed an interest during the recent years in this project in particular.. not that I would necessarily support it :/, but it’s one of their most acclaimed animated features centered on animals throughout Disney’s history.. and they already made a live-action remake that includes only animals as characters (The Lion King) and another one whose original is as « old » as Bambi and also centered mostly around animals (Dumbo). So I see no reason why they wouldn’t give a try with this one
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:I wonder if Jon Favreau will be directing this too. I think because Bambi, unlike The Lion King, is episodic in nature and its plot is very thin, he'll have more space to add new narrative elements to it like he did with The Jungle Book.
Perhaps, it would've made sense in he did it. After all, Bambi shares similarities to both of them, since they're all nature stories that are basically coming of age-tales (due it's less overt in The Jungle Book's case).

Personally, I would've love a remake of Bambi. But since it's pretty much a basic storyline, I could imagine it being expanded and updated with a plot that would serve a current mold. As long as he doesn't change the characterizations (since their innocuous nature is pretty much the best thing about the movie) and the death of Bambi's mom (which truly would've irked purists if it was changed), since that iconic death has pretty much defined the movie in every single sense. But unlike The Lion King, which pretty much was a mandatory remake, I can see why the studio would be hesitant of making a remake of Bambi, due to how it could be perceived as ridiculous to remake it.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Bambi (Live-Action)

Post by JeanGreyForever »

'Bambi' Remake in the Works With 'Captain Marvel', 'Chaos Walking' Writers (Exclusive)

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat- ... ium=social
The young prince is returning to the forest.

In the latest move to turn its animated classics into live-action features, Disney has set its sights on one of its most storied: Bambi.

The studio has hired Geneva Robertson-Dworet (Captain Marvel, Tomb Raider) and Lindsey Beer (Sierra Burgess Is a Loser, Chaos Walking) to pen the screenplay for the live-action remake.

Depth of Field, the production banner run by Chris and Paul Weitz and Andrew Miano and which is coming off the success of indie darling The Farewell, will produce the new iteration.

The original movie, released in 1942, told the story of a young fawn named Bambi as he learns his place in the forest. With his two best friends, a rabbit named Thumper and a skunk named Flower, Bambi comes of age as he faces the joys and heartache — cue the loss of a parent — of growing up.

The film received three Oscar nominations — best song, best score and best sound — but was not initially held in high esteem as it is in modern times.

Insiders say the studio views Bambi as a type of companion piece to its remakes The Jungle Book and The Lion King, which were not live-action per se but certainly made to look that way. The two, both hits (Lion King generated $1.65 billion when it was released last year), were made using envelope-pushing CG technology to create ground-breaking photo-realistic and immersive worlds of nature. The studio is cognizant that Bambi is less epic in scope and story and is not aiming to shoehorn a larger narrative onto the classic tale.

The live-action remake continues to pay off for Disney as the last two outings, Jon Favreau's Lion King and Guy Ritchie's Aladdin, were billion-dollar grossers. Upcoming in the pipeline are The Little Mermaid, starring Halle Bailey, and David Lowrey's take on Peter Pan, titled Peter and Wendy.

Depth of Field is already working on a Disney live-action remake as it is in active development on Pinocchio which has Robert Zemeckis directing.

Robertson-Dworet and Beer are two of the most sought after tentpole writers, with upcoming credits that range from Warner Bros.' Hello Kitty (Beer) to Fox/Disney's Andy Weir adaptation Artemis (Robertson-Dworet) to Universal's female Fast & Furious spinoff (both). Along with fellow writer Nicole Perlman, they run production banner Known Universe, which focuses on female-fronted genre stories.

Beer is repped by attorney firm Gang Tyre while Robertson-Dworet is repped by Management 360 and Hansen Jacobson.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Is anyone surprised this is happening? :lol: I noticed there's no director attached yet. I hope it's Jon Favreau so he can complete his creepy-looking animal remake trilogy! :P
The studio is cognizant that Bambi is less epic in scope and story and is not aiming to shoehorn a larger narrative onto the classic tale.
I'm guessing they're doing this to avoid another Dumbo situation. I wonder if this will be relegated to Disney+ since the film's episodic narrative and thin plot doesn't really lend itself to the big screen. Though the comparisons to The Jungle Book and The Lion King make me believe it's going to be a theatrical release.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I actually thought it was a parody at first. And I had no idea there was even a Bambi thread before this, although I guess it was also a joke lol.

I'm assuming live-action going by the comparisons to TJB and TLK as you said. Favreau should focus on The Jungle Book 2 before he starts on Bambi if he ends up taking this project. It's a bit less epic than the other two properties so I'm not sure if he would want it though.
ImageImage
Rose Dome
Special Edition

Post by Rose Dome »

I think the remakes are becoming excessive, but this would have space to be more than an Audiovisual makeover
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Like with every remake the thing i am most curious about is the casting or in Bambi's case voice casting ! :)

Wonder they will be ? :?

Probably unknowns for young Bambi and Faline.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Do you think they'll include the songs in the remake? Since they aren't sung by the characters, it will be easier to incorporate them in the film. And given how they aren't expanding the story there're no reason not to. Bambi's soundtrack is not among my favorites, so I wouldn't mind too much if they didn't. Though I do hope my favorite one, "Looking for Romance (I Bring You a Song)", makes it in.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Is anyone surprised this is happening? :lol:
Nope :P But I was actually thinking that it wouldn't happen, since a live action remake of Bambi would've been more jarring than a live action version of The Lion King. Regardless of Bambi's immortal position, at least it a remake for The Lion King was mandatory, due to it's success. Whereas an adaptation Bambi into live action would've been more ridiculous, since it truly doesn't lend itself to live action, due to it's poetic and lyrical nature.
I hope it's Jon Favreau so he can complete his creepy-looking animal remake trilogy! :P
True. It would've made sense to have Favreau as the director for those reasons. Though having him remaking Tarzan would've made more sense, since it's a bookend of the official jungle triology started by The Jungle Book. And therefore would've been a full circle for Favreau.
I'm guessing they're doing this to avoid another Dumbo situation. I wonder if this will be relegated to Disney+ exclusive since the film's episodic narrative and thin plot doesn't really lend itself to the big screen. Though the comparisons to The Jungle Book and The Lion King make me believe it's going to be a theatrical release.
Most likely. They'll most likely expand the narrative, since it will be needed for a current audience. Though I wonder how they will tackle the iconic death of Bambi's mom, since it's such an iconic moment that shouldn't been changed with.
Sotiris wrote:Do you think they'll include the songs in the remake? Since they aren't sung by the characters, it will be easier to incorporate them in the film. And given how they aren't expanding the story there're no reason not to. Bambi's soundtrack is not among my favorites so I won't mind it much if they don't. Though I do hope my favorite "Looking for Romance (I Bring You a Song)" makes it in.
Perhaps. They'll most likely include Love is a Song, since it is the anthem of the movie. But I've would've personally hope if they included Little April Shower, since it's a brilliant song. Bambi was actually one of my true favorites growing up, so I do have a soft spot for it, nonetheless. So on one hand, I'm glad that it's getting remade, regardless of my previous rants about it's ridiculousness.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:Is anyone surprised this is happening? :lol: I noticed there's no director attached yet. I hope it's Jon Favreau so he can complete his creepy-looking animal remake trilogy! :P
I like to think he would do a better job with Bambi. I give him a break with TLK because I have a feeling Disney stepped in and they're likely the reason it's almost a shot-for-shot recreation. TLK is treated so differently from other Disney films, I doubt they would let any director have too much freedom with it.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:True. It would've made sense to have Favreau as the director for those reasons. Though having him remaking Tarzan would've made more sense, since it's a bookend of the official jungle triology started by The Jungle Book. And therefore would've been a full circle for Favreau.

Most likely. They'll most likely expand the narrative, since it will be needed for a current audience. Though I wonder how they will tackle the iconic death of Bambi's mom, since it's such an iconic moment that shouldn't been changed with.

Perhaps. They'll most likely include Love is a Song, since it is the anthem of the movie. But I've would've personally hope if they included Little April Shower, since it's a brilliant song. Bambi was actually one of my true favorites growing up, so I do have a soft spot for it, nonetheless. So on one hand, I'm glad that it's getting remade, regardless of my previous rants about it's ridiculousness.
I wish we could get a Favreau-made live-action Tarzan. Too bad Disney doesn't have the rights to Tarzan anymore.

Something tells me they won't change the death of Bambi's mother, meaning we still won't see it onscreen like in the original. It'll be like in TLK where they didn't alter the death from the animated film in any shape or form, just a shot-by-shot remake. Of course that applied to the whole movie basically but still.

I've never felt that songs are integral to Bambi so I'm fine if they aren't included but I do like Love is a Song and Little April Shower and the songs can easily be used in the background. Especially since this film will basically be a nature documentary otherwise, just with dialogue.
ImageImage
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Okay... my question is this? Is there really a demand or large audience who want to see a live action Bambi movie? I'm thinking this will go on Disney plus but who knows. I'm not a huge or avid Bambi fan myself compared to other Disney movies. I just don't know if there's a large enough market to make this profitable. Disney plus on the other plan would be perfect for this.

I wish we could get live action version of Atlantis: The Lost Empire and Treasure Planet......
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I love Bambi, it's probably my second favorite Walt film after Sleeping Beauty.
I think most people now who are used to fast paced plots wouldn't be able to relate to the slow poetry of Bambi, so my guess is they'll try to "modernize" it, which will make it just another Lion King IMO.
I don't think they'll keep the songs, though IMO it's a bad idea since in my opinion the songs really give a mood to the scene they are featured, almost like part of the effect, which is another thing that adds to the artistic aesthetics of the film.
Yes, they might add more from the book, but MPR took odeas from the book and we saw how that turned out. IMO Disney of today can never make a serious, sincere and melancholic piece like Bambi, they will probably add unfunny jokes and make it all cynical and heartless like all the other remakes.