DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:02 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 78  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wreck-It Ralph 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:31 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

All I can say about the Princesses yelling no is that it isn't in a mean way. It was like NO! PLEASE! :huh: :huh: :huh: And the princesses are not actually mean to Merida.

The all others are true. Except they must have just added Moana asking Vanellope if she wants to come because when I saw it, she was like "Cool to meet you."

I highly suggest people to lighten up. It's just satire and personally, there's nothing wrong with Disney making fun of themselves. They're aware of the criticism that the princesses have, so Disney & the voice actresses, especially Jodi (the song was improvised herself!), are clearly having fun with it.

The only thing that I close to not liking is how Cinderella and Aurora tease CP30. I keep on having back and forth reactions to that. I know they're teasing him, but I really hope the girls aren't snooty to the other characters. Especially Aurora since she's my favorite. :huh:

Of course, I should stop defending this scene because most of you guys won't like this scene anyway. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:

Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:33 pm 
Special Edition

If ya didn't get mad at how they handled the video game franchise characters in the first one, ya can't get mad at how they're treating the princesses.

With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:40 am 
Platinum Edition

nachonaco wrote:
If ya didn't get mad at how they handled the video game franchise characters in the first one, ya can't get mad at how they're treating the princesses.

I don't remember them mocking any characters in the original WIR.

This reminds me of how the makers of the various princess films in the modern era (Brave, Frozen, Tangled, Moana) act almost ashamed they're making films about fairytales, talk about how X protagonist is "a different kind of princess," put together trailers hiding musical numbers/spotlighting the action scenes, and so on.

A lot of these jokes are earned (especially when poking at the twisted gender norms), but it's mind-boggling what long-term monetary incentive a company thinks they'll get out of promoting derision of their own properties? "Haha, look how uncool we are. *cut to 2030* Gee, why have sales of Cinderella's home releases been going down?"

Christina Aguilera ~ "Ain't No Other Man"
Kelly Clarkson ~ "Didn't I"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:00 am 
Platinum Edition

They shouldn't be calling Ariel stupid! Maybe she should have done something different than the Ursula way but she was desperate and couldn't think of a better way in the moment. She's not stupid.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
A lot of these jokes are earned (especially when poking at the twisted gender norms)

Which were those?

Disney's Divinity wrote:
"Haha, look how uncool we are. *cut to 2030* Gee, why have sales of Cinderella's home releases been going down?"

Lol but oh, man, you have a point. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 6:38 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney Duster wrote:
They shouldn't be calling Ariel stupid! Maybe she should have done something different than the Ursula way but she was desperate and couldn't think of a better way in the moment. She's not stupid.

No, the real line is “Jeez louise, who would do that?”

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:03 am 
Gold Collection

Sotiris wrote:
Ariel: "Did you ever trade your voice to an evil sea witch for pair of legs to get the man you love?"

Oh, great. Why would Disney even think this line is a good idea?

Sotiris wrote:
Merida starts talking which sounds like gibberish similar to the way Young MacGuffin talks in Brave.

What's with that? That's just stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:54 am 
Collector's Edition

I'm very put off by the film. I'm not a fan of the first one, but there is something really misogynistic when a "male-oriented" film makes fun of "female-oriented" characters.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:24 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

nachonaco wrote:

I never got the impression they were mocked in the first film, but I'm not a gamer and I didn't know most of these video game characters. If I had known them, maybe I wouldn't have liked how they were treated either.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
This reminds me of how the makers of the various princess films in the modern era (Brave, Frozen, Tangled, Moana) act almost ashamed they're making films about fairytales, talk about how X protagonist is "a different kind of princess," put together trailers hiding musical numbers/spotlighting the action scenes, and so on.

Yes, this is in the same vein as that. I hate it. They shouldn't be ashamed. I know some things in the older fairytale films are not seen right nowadays. But you have to consider that 1) these films have many other things that are still good for today's audiences; 2) they were made in other times, maybe they were more revolutionary for their times by comparison than some of the films made now; and 3) they are also set in past times where things were different. They can highlight how we have advanced, but without discrediting or being ashamed of the other films.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:59 pm 
Collector's Edition

D82 wrote:
nachonaco wrote:

I never got the impression they were mocked in the first film, but I'm not a gamer and I didn't know most of these video game characters. If I had known them, maybe I wouldn't have liked how they were treated either.

Disney's Divinity wrote:

Yes, this is in the same vein as that. I hate it. They shouldn't be ashamed. I know some things in the older fairytale films are not seen right nowadays. But you have to consider that 1) these films have many other things that are still good for today's audiences; 2) they were made in other times, maybe they were more revolutionary for their times by comparison than some of the films made now; and 3) they are also set in past times where things were different. They can highlight how we have advanced, but without discrediting or being ashamed of the other films.

This! Totally this! Also some of the criticisms of how some of the princesses don't have mothers seem to forget that some of the stories took place when death from childbirth was not uncommon. Granted, we see some of the parents getting killed off in other matters but still.
Also, on a sidenote, that scene of Meeko wouldn't happen to be animated by somebody who's a friend of Nik Raneri's would it? :mischief:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 6:20 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Tristy wrote:
Also some of the criticisms of how some of the princesses don't have mothers seem to forget that some of the stories took place when death from childbirth was not uncommon.

I hadn't thought of that before. Yes, that might be an explanation for why in many fairytales the protagonists don't have mothers. Disney maybe used that too many times, but they didn't always come up with that. Snow White, Cinderella or Belle, for example, were already motherless in the original fairytales. And in the first two cases, it was an important element of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 7:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
Tristy wrote:
Also some of the criticisms of how some of the princesses don't have mothers seem to forget that some of the stories took place when death from childbirth was not uncommon.

I hadn't thought of that before. Yes, that might be an explanation for why in many fairytales the protagonists don't have mothers. Disney maybe used that too many times, but they didn't always come up with that. Snow White, Cinderella or Belle, for example, were already motherless in the original fairytales. And in the first two cases, it was an important element of the story.

Mothers weren't really as absent as some people might believe though. Snow White's mother was originally the wicked queen, rather than a stepmother. The same applied to the mother in Hansel and Gretel. Belle's mother was really a fairy who she is reunited with at the end. Aladdin's mother is alive in his story. Pocahontas had a mother but in a polygamous society. Esmeralda's mother was alive too and they were briefly reunited at the end. The Little Mermaid may not have had a mother but it did have a grandmother. Even the prince's mother in Sleeping Beauty was alive, albeit as a cannibalistic ogre.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 8:04 pm 
Limited Edition

:lol:

Attachments:
#!001_Mt-3373921140.jpg
#!001_Mt-3373921140.jpg [ 85.37 KiB | Viewed 1248 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 9:57 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

^ :lol:

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Mothers weren't really as absent as some people might believe though. Snow White's mother was originally the wicked queen, rather than a stepmother. The same applied to the mother in Hansel and Gretel. Belle's mother was really a fairy who she is reunited with at the end. Aladdin's mother is alive in his story. Pocahontas had a mother but in a polygamous society. Esmeralda's mother was alive too and they were briefly reunited at the end. The Little Mermaid may not have had a mother but it did have a grandmother. Even the prince's mother in Sleeping Beauty was alive, albeit as a cannibalistic ogre.

I didn't know some of these things, thanks for the info. I guess in most cases Disney decided not to give the protagonists a mother simply because it's easier to tell the story with fewer characters. And it just occurred to me that in some films where the mother is not mentioned at all, it could be possible that she was alive but just didn't appear in it. For example, are we sure Prince Philip doesn't have a mother? Maybe she just didn't like to travel and stayed in her kingdom instead of going with her husband and son to visit King Stefan's kingdom. I know it's quite unlikely, but it could be a possibility, couldn't it?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 12:34 am 
Limited Edition

I'm interested to know which princesses have the most lines in the scene and which ones have the least. I would imagine they would try to give the more popular ones like Ariel, Rapunzel and Elsa a good amount.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:04 am 
Platinum Edition

I feel like Phillip's mother would have shown up.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:13 pm 
Limited Edition

The scene sounds pretty exciting! I’m very curious to see it now.

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:25 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

D82 wrote:
I didn't know some of these things, thanks for the info. I guess in most cases Disney decided not to give the protagonists a mother simply because it's easier to tell the story with fewer characters. And it just occurred to me that in some films where the mother is not mentioned at all, it could be possible that she was alive but just didn't appear in it. For example, are we sure Prince Philip doesn't have a mother? Maybe she just didn't like to travel and stayed in her kingdom instead of going with her husband and son to visit King Stefan's kingdom. I know it's quite unlikely, but it could be a possibility, couldn't it?

In general, fantasy stories with young people and children are easier to write with the parents out of the way because that's a natural shield from danger that has been removed. Phillip could have a mother, but I somehow doubt it. He seemed motherless to me due to the lack of any mention of her, but then again, Aurora's mother barely gets much more so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:07 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

DisneyEra wrote:

Hahaha :D! That picture was funny!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:40 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:

Hahaha :D! That picture was funny!

I thought so, too.

Christina Aguilera ~ "Ain't No Other Man"
Kelly Clarkson ~ "Didn't I"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:20 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I thought so, too.

Great minds think alike ;)

And not only is it funny, but true as well :P

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1544 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 78  Next