DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 46  Next
 Post subject: Re: Wreck-It Ralph 2
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:08 pm 
Platinum Edition

The filmmakers talk about the already-famous Oh My Disney scene.

Quote:
Q: In the clips you showed at D23 Expo 2017, Ralph and Vanellope meet a whole bunch of Disney Princesses. How did that idea come about and what was it like assembling that group for the voice-over sessions?

Rich Moore: I’m trying to think back on how it all started. I think we were pitching ideas of, ‘What are some places that [Ralph and Vanellope] could go [in the internet]?’ We knew about this Oh My Disney fan site, and a couple of us– our heads of story Jim Reardon and Josie Trinidad, and our co-writer Pam Ribbon– we were just talking about, ‘Wouldn’t it be funny if they went to Oh My Disney?’

This place has lots of listicles and quizzes. If Ralph took a quiz, like ‘Are you an Anna or an Elsa?’ And Ralph going, ‘Whoa, I’m an Elsa!’ and [that] turned into, ‘What if we personify that place? What if it felt like Comic-Con or D23 [Expo] mixed with Disneyland?’ And it just started to snowball from there.

Phil Johnston: You know what I’m remembering? The actual germ of the idea came from, ‘What if they went to the Disney Infinity website?’ which was not there anymore, and what if the characters that were in Infinity were just still hanging out there? And then from that idea, we went, ‘No, it would be better if it’s an existing site.’ So these ideas sort of grow on top of each other and build and build and build.

Rich Moore: Then as it became a real thing, you go into the practical process of, ‘Okay, now we’ve got to storyboard it. Now we have to record the dialogue. Now we have to see if the actresses are interested in coming back.’ And that was a huge piece of it. Overwhelmingly, everyone was like ‘Yes, I would love to do it.’ So we were able to get the voices of those Princesses, those who are still with us from the old days, the official voices, and everyone from the modern age to come in.

About halfway through, I had to say to myself, ‘Wow, I never thought I would be directing a movie where I would be meeting each and every one of the actresses that voiced one of the Princesses. It was like, ‘Wow, this is really happening. This is a real thing.’ And I think, gauging by the response it got at D23 [Expo], it’s a scene we’re really proud of. We’re having some fun at our own expense, but in a respectful, loving way.

Q: You mentioned Disneyland, and I was wondering if you could talk a bit more about how the park helped shape the Oh My Disney scene, and the influence of Disney theme parks on ‘Wreck-It Ralph’ in general.

Rich Moore: I think definitely the entrance to Oh My Disney is [inspired by Disneyland].

Phil Johnston: Yeah, as they’re approaching, you see the iconic castle, but as you look closely, you can see in the design it’s sort of holographic and there are floating elements to it. But the entrance to that website is without question inspired by the park.

Once you’re on the floor of the site, inside the site, it is almost more like D23 [Expo] in a way, in that there are different booths and vendors, where the quizzes and stuff are happening. But it has the feel of a D23 or a Comic-Con with elements of Disneyland or Disney World, for sure. And obviously all the Disney-owned brands are represented under that roof, so it’s a big mash-up. That website has Marvel and Star Wars and Disney Animation and Pixar and everything, so we kind of wanted to incorporate all of those things into the site.

[...] We don’t want it to feel like a Disney advertisement or anything like that, so we made sure that it’s integral to the story and natural for the characters to be there. And then we have a little fun making fun of ourselves. That’s the balance we strike of satire, and we’re trying to say something without being mean about it. I think the internet really opens the door for that kind of thing.
Source: http://www.insidethemagic.net/2018/02/i ... cky-bunny/

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:33 pm 
Limited Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:
I am worried about how cool they're trying to be (Ralph's line of 'It's staring at my soul' for example), but it's so far, so good. But, how will this hold up to the original, which feels timeless? That's my main concern.

It's based on the internet and features sites like Ebay which might not even exist decades from now, or at least not the way we know it now. Not to mention Oh My Disney having a special part. This film was never going to be timeless, but that's ok imo.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:50 am 
Platinum Edition

I felt nothing watching that trailer. I'm sure the film will do fine financially and all, but the whole thing is soulless.

You know, when WIR was released, I knew it was made with the intention of spawning sequels, but this is probably the worst concept they could've went with. I assumed they'd explore other video game-inspired locales/characters, not the Internet....

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:33 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

This reeks of the emoji movie. I don't think sites like ebay will be going anywhere anytime soon, but that doesn't make jokes about them any more fresh.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:41 pm 
Limited Edition

The director and the producer also talk a bit about the film in this article: http://ew.com/movies/2018/02/28/wreck-i ... interview/

And more countries will have a different title. The movie is going to be called Ralph 2.0 in France and Ralph vs Internet in Portugal and Russia.

The teaser made me a bit more excited about it, though I'm not completely sold yet. The world building looks interesting, but I'm not sure if it's going to work. I'm not sure about the joke at the end either, it's maybe a bit too much for a Disney film and I'm not usually a fan of that kind of humor, though I admit the reaction of the little girl (baby Moana) at the end made me laugh.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:18 am 
Special Edition

Steve Markowski may have been watching Monty Python... it's just a wafer thin pancake... bon appetit! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:38 am 
Collector's Edition

Mayhem wrote:
Steve Markowski may have been watching Monty Python... it's just a wafer thin pancake... bon appetit! :lol:

Well, based on the fact that it's a rabbit with the little kid's traumatized reaction, it might be Meaning of Life meets Watership Down. :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:12 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I really don't know with whom to side here.

Whereas I am immensely looking forward to this film (really!), I can understand why users like Sotiris and Disney's Divinity feel underwhelmed, disappointed or even apathetic towards it.

I suppose a WDAS film based on the internet - on ideas that come and go almost instantly and are out-of-date within hours, if not minutes - feels almost blasphemous in a film canon also containing certified and timeless movie masterpieces such as Snow White, lyrical film-making as in Bambi and avant-garde animation in Fantasia and Fantasia 2000.

I suspect your disapproval stems from the fact that the movie is at the opposite end of what you guys consider a "worthy, epic and prestigious Disney animated motion picture." I think Rich Moore would understand too, but he knows he is not creating a film to rival Pinocchio or Lady and the Tramp or The Lion King. WIR2 will be a breezy, very lightweight and hopefully gut-wrenchingly funny piece of film entertainment. If Snow White is a five-star gourmet meal, then WIR2 will be a disposable but delightful bag of Haribo Gummi Bears (and not the sugar-free type. :P ) which will tickle us silly in 2018 and then get us in the mood for the more dramatic, more epic, more prestigious WDAS film which will eventually make its way through the studio pipeline.

And yes, Ralph Breaks the Internet will be dated in a few years, but not every film or artistic creation has to be timeless. I expect that in 75 years' time - if the Walt Disney Animation Studios are still around - WIR2 will be a mere footnote in the studio's filmography, as obscure as Make Mine Music and Melody Time are today.

Nevertheless I think it would be a fascinating study for a future scholar/professor researching the pop culture of the 2010s. I can see the film getting a special release with Leonard Maltin-like featurettes that point out what the jokes in the movie meant to prehistoric 2018 audiences, what eBay was and how cheap-looking, practically indistinguishable apps populated the internet back then. I'm serious. :)

Please tell me what you think guys. Estefan I may need your backup! :D

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:06 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I think this teaser is just giving us a taste of the movie. That's the whole idea of a teaser, after all. It doesn't even reveal the exact motivation for Ralph and Venellope going to the Internet, even though official plot summaries have revealed it's to save Sugar Rush. I doubt the whole movie will be wall to wall Internet jokes, just like the first Ralph wasn't wall to wall video game jokes and presented an emotional story about the roles we are defined as.

Rich Moore and Phil Johnston also reveal in this interview that Ralph 2 will tackle the topics of anxiety, self-esteem and even depression, with his experience on Zootopia and its commentary inspiring him to tackle these larger themes.

They also chose to avoid using memes that were sure to become instantly dated. Even if eBay shuts down one day, the concept of an auction website won't be that hard to understand for future generations. Clickbait articles will absolutely never go away, either. As opposed to something like The Emoji Movie, which was so focused on "what are the kids into now?", and was infamously only in production for two years out of worry that it would become instantly dated if they spent too long making it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:14 am 
Platinum Edition

Jules wrote:
Whereas I am immensely looking forward to this film (really!), I can understand why users like Sotiris and Disney's Divinity feel underwhelmed, disappointed or even apathetic towards it.

Yeah, I felt more apathetic than anything else.

Jules wrote:
I suspect your disapproval stems from the fact that the movie is at the opposite end of what you guys consider a "worthy, epic and prestigious Disney animated motion picture."

How did you know? :lol: Movies like WIR are not my cup of tea. They're fine but they just don't get me excited. My ideal WDAS movie would be a soaring, grand, lyrical, epic tale with big scope and high stakes that has timeless Broadway-style music and stunning hand-drawn animation. I can't stand the Pixarian formula of unlikely characters going on a road trip and I have a distaste for episodic narrative structure which pretty much describes every WDAS film post-Lasseter. Even their fairytale-based musicals feel more restrained and small compared to their '90s counterparts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:15 pm 
Platinum Edition

I thought this fanart piece was cute.

Source: https://twitter.com/pacota22ma/status/9 ... 2677075968

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:01 pm 
Platinum Edition

I don't hate the first movie. I was ambivalent to it more than anything. My only reaction to this is that this cash-in--which we all saw coming--isn't even trying to be any good. It seems like they're putting in the least amount of effort possible, only looking for ways they can fit in advertisements for their other properties.

Now I'll see myself out, try not to comment anymore until I see the movie on cable (since I won't have Disney's new streaming service), and leave the WIR fans in peace. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:28 am 
Limited Edition

:lol:

Attachments:
#!001_Mi265.jpg
#!001_Mi265.jpg [ 170.52 KiB | Viewed 1040 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:47 pm 
Limited Edition

^ :lol: And it isn't false. There are probably a lot of kids who have been traumatised by Pinocchio. The one you shared, Sotiris, is also very good. I've seen this is generating a lot of memes.

But I think this Moana cameo is a bit weird. If it was meant as a cameo from the beginning, why choosing this particular joke in which she gets traumatised? It's not the best way to do a homage to Moana, in my opinion. And if they just reused Moana's model and didn't intended it as a reference to her, why didn't they try to disguise it a bit. Even the hairstyle is the same.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Wouldn't be the first time something like that happened. Baby molly appears in the airport undisguised in toy story 2 with another family.

Who cares if she's traumatized?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 10:05 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

In The Hunchback of Notre Dame, we see Pumbaa hanging on a stick ready to be cooked and in Hercules, Scar is a rug. So wouldn't be the first time they've taken a Disney character and did something shocking with them.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 11:37 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
How did you know? :lol: Movies like WIR are not my cup of tea. They're fine but they just don't get me excited.My ideal WDAS movie would be a soaring, grand, lyrical, epic tale with big scope and high stakes that has timeless Broadway-style music and stunning hand-drawn animation.

My reason for liking the original WIR was because that it seemed appealing and intriguing, as well as having appealing and cartoony character designs. Though of course I your aforementioned formula, I thought WIR was good because it was a movie with a Dreamwork-esque savviness that Disney for once did tremendously well. It's a pity (and almost remarkable) that the movie has been stuck with almost an underrated-stamp later on, when it was quite well received initially.

Just wondering, Sotiris, which Disney animated feature is your very favorite?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:20 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Just wondering, Sotiris, which Disney animated feature is your very favorite?

Oh, I can never pick just one! :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:25 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
Oh, I can never pick just one! :P

But if you could pick a few? :P

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2018 3:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
But if you could pick a few?

Does this count as a few? :P

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Fantasia
Cinderella
Sleeping Beauty
Oliver & Company
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
Pocahontas
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
Hercules
Mulan
Tarzan
Fantasia 2000
The Emperor's New Groove
Atlantis: The Lost Empire
Lilo & Stitch
Treasure Planet
Brother Bear
The Princess and the Frog

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 919 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21 ... 46  Next