Ralph Breaks the Internet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Wreck-It Ralph 2

Post by disneyprincess11 »

All I can say about the Princesses yelling no is that it isn't in a mean way. It was like NO! PLEASE! :huh: :huh: :huh: And the princesses are not actually mean to Merida.

The all others are true. Except they must have just added Moana asking Vanellope if she wants to come because when I saw it, she was like "Cool to meet you."

I highly suggest people to lighten up. It's just satire and personally, there's nothing wrong with Disney making fun of themselves. They're aware of the criticism that the princesses have, so Disney & the voice actresses, especially Jodi (the song was improvised herself!), are clearly having fun with it.

The only thing that I close to not liking is how Cinderella and Aurora tease CP30. I keep on having back and forth reactions to that. I know they're teasing him, but I really hope the girls aren't snooty to the other characters. Especially Aurora since she's my favorite. :huh:

Of course, I should stop defending this scene because most of you guys won't like this scene anyway. :shifty: :shifty: :shifty:
Last edited by disneyprincess11 on Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nachonaco
Special Edition

Post by nachonaco »

If ya didn't get mad at how they handled the video game franchise characters in the first one, ya can't get mad at how they're treating the princesses.
Man has a dream
And that's the start
He follows his dream
With mind and heart
And when it becomes a reality
It's a dream come true
For you and me!
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

nachonaco wrote:If ya didn't get mad at how they handled the video game franchise characters in the first one, ya can't get mad at how they're treating the princesses.
I don't remember them mocking any characters in the original WIR.

This reminds me of how the makers of the various princess films in the modern era (Brave, Frozen, Tangled, Moana) act almost ashamed they're making films about fairytales, talk about how X protagonist is "a different kind of princess," put together trailers hiding musical numbers/spotlighting the action scenes, and so on.

A lot of these jokes are earned (especially when poking at the twisted gender norms), but it's mind-boggling what long-term monetary incentive a company thinks they'll get out of promoting derision of their own properties? "Haha, look how uncool we are. *cut to 2030* Gee, why have sales of Cinderella's home releases been going down?"
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

They shouldn't be calling Ariel stupid! Maybe she should have done something different than the Ursula way but she was desperate and couldn't think of a better way in the moment. She's not stupid.
Disney's Divinity wrote:A lot of these jokes are earned (especially when poking at the twisted gender norms)
Which were those?
Disney's Divinity wrote:"Haha, look how uncool we are. *cut to 2030* Gee, why have sales of Cinderella's home releases been going down?"
Lol but oh, man, you have a point. :(
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Disney Duster wrote:They shouldn't be calling Ariel stupid! Maybe she should have done something different than the Ursula way but she was desperate and couldn't think of a better way in the moment. She's not stupid.
No, the real line is “Jeez louise, who would do that?”
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

Sotiris wrote: Ariel: "Did you ever trade your voice to an evil sea witch for pair of legs to get the man you love?"
Oh, great. Why would Disney even think this line is a good idea?
Sotiris wrote: Merida starts talking which sounds like gibberish similar to the way Young MacGuffin talks in Brave.
What's with that? That's just stupid.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I'm very put off by the film. I'm not a fan of the first one, but there is something really misogynistic when a "male-oriented" film makes fun of "female-oriented" characters.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

nachonaco wrote:If ya didn't get mad at how they handled the video game franchise characters in the first one, ya can't get mad at how they're treating the princesses.
I never got the impression they were mocked in the first film, but I'm not a gamer and I didn't know most of these video game characters. If I had known them, maybe I wouldn't have liked how they were treated either.
Disney's Divinity wrote:This reminds me of how the makers of the various princess films in the modern era (Brave, Frozen, Tangled, Moana) act almost ashamed they're making films about fairytales, talk about how X protagonist is "a different kind of princess," put together trailers hiding musical numbers/spotlighting the action scenes, and so on.
Yes, this is in the same vein as that. I hate it. They shouldn't be ashamed. I know some things in the older fairytale films are not seen right nowadays. But you have to consider that 1) these films have many other things that are still good for today's audiences; 2) they were made in other times, maybe they were more revolutionary for their times by comparison than some of the films made now; and 3) they are also set in past times where things were different. They can highlight how we have advanced, but without discrediting or being ashamed of the other films.
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

D82 wrote:
I never got the impression they were mocked in the first film, but I'm not a gamer and I didn't know most of these video game characters. If I had known them, maybe I wouldn't have liked how they were treated either.
Disney's Divinity wrote:This reminds me of how the makers of the various princess films in the modern era (Brave, Frozen, Tangled, Moana) act almost ashamed they're making films about fairytales, talk about how X protagonist is "a different kind of princess," put together trailers hiding musical numbers/spotlighting the action scenes, and so on.
Yes, this is in the same vein as that. I hate it. They shouldn't be ashamed. I know some things in the older fairytale films are not seen right nowadays. But you have to consider that 1) these films have many other things that are still good for today's audiences; 2) they were made in other times, maybe they were more revolutionary for their times by comparison than some of the films made now; and 3) they are also set in past times where things were different. They can highlight how we have advanced, but without discrediting or being ashamed of the other films.
This! Totally this! Also some of the criticisms of how some of the princesses don't have mothers seem to forget that some of the stories took place when death from childbirth was not uncommon. Granted, we see some of the parents getting killed off in other matters but still.
Also, on a sidenote, that scene of Meeko wouldn't happen to be animated by somebody who's a friend of Nik Raneri's would it? :mischief:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Tristy wrote:Also some of the criticisms of how some of the princesses don't have mothers seem to forget that some of the stories took place when death from childbirth was not uncommon.
I hadn't thought of that before. Yes, that might be an explanation for why in many fairytales the protagonists don't have mothers. Disney maybe used that too many times, but they didn't always come up with that. Snow White, Cinderella or Belle, for example, were already motherless in the original fairytales. And in the first two cases, it was an important element of the story.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
Tristy wrote:Also some of the criticisms of how some of the princesses don't have mothers seem to forget that some of the stories took place when death from childbirth was not uncommon.
I hadn't thought of that before. Yes, that might be an explanation for why in many fairytales the protagonists don't have mothers. Disney maybe used that too many times, but they didn't always come up with that. Snow White, Cinderella or Belle, for example, were already motherless in the original fairytales. And in the first two cases, it was an important element of the story.
Mothers weren't really as absent as some people might believe though. Snow White's mother was originally the wicked queen, rather than a stepmother. The same applied to the mother in Hansel and Gretel. Belle's mother was really a fairy who she is reunited with at the end. Aladdin's mother is alive in his story. Pocahontas had a mother but in a polygamous society. Esmeralda's mother was alive too and they were briefly reunited at the end. The Little Mermaid may not have had a mother but it did have a grandmother. Even the prince's mother in Sleeping Beauty was alive, albeit as a cannibalistic ogre.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

:lol:
Attachments
#!001_Mt-3373921140.jpg
#!001_Mt-3373921140.jpg (85.37 KiB) Viewed 4038 times
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ :lol:
JeanGreyForever wrote:Mothers weren't really as absent as some people might believe though. Snow White's mother was originally the wicked queen, rather than a stepmother. The same applied to the mother in Hansel and Gretel. Belle's mother was really a fairy who she is reunited with at the end. Aladdin's mother is alive in his story. Pocahontas had a mother but in a polygamous society. Esmeralda's mother was alive too and they were briefly reunited at the end. The Little Mermaid may not have had a mother but it did have a grandmother. Even the prince's mother in Sleeping Beauty was alive, albeit as a cannibalistic ogre.
I didn't know some of these things, thanks for the info. I guess in most cases Disney decided not to give the protagonists a mother simply because it's easier to tell the story with fewer characters. And it just occurred to me that in some films where the mother is not mentioned at all, it could be possible that she was alive but just didn't appear in it. For example, are we sure Prince Philip doesn't have a mother? Maybe she just didn't like to travel and stayed in her kingdom instead of going with her husband and son to visit King Stefan's kingdom. I know it's quite unlikely, but it could be a possibility, couldn't it?
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

I'm interested to know which princesses have the most lines in the scene and which ones have the least. I would imagine they would try to give the more popular ones like Ariel, Rapunzel and Elsa a good amount.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I feel like Phillip's mother would have shown up.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

The scene sounds pretty exciting! I’m very curious to see it now.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote: I didn't know some of these things, thanks for the info. I guess in most cases Disney decided not to give the protagonists a mother simply because it's easier to tell the story with fewer characters. And it just occurred to me that in some films where the mother is not mentioned at all, it could be possible that she was alive but just didn't appear in it. For example, are we sure Prince Philip doesn't have a mother? Maybe she just didn't like to travel and stayed in her kingdom instead of going with her husband and son to visit King Stefan's kingdom. I know it's quite unlikely, but it could be a possibility, couldn't it?
In general, fantasy stories with young people and children are easier to write with the parents out of the way because that's a natural shield from danger that has been removed. Phillip could have a mother, but I somehow doubt it. He seemed motherless to me due to the lack of any mention of her, but then again, Aurora's mother barely gets much more so that doesn't necessarily mean anything.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyEra wrote::lol:
Hahaha :D! That picture was funny!
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote::lol:
Hahaha :D! That picture was funny!
I thought so, too.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:I thought so, too.
Great minds think alike ;)

And not only is it funny, but true as well :P