Ralph Breaks the Internet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
blackcauldron85
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Ralph Breaks the Internet

Post by blackcauldron85 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:So....is someone going to tell the Princess merchandise team that Vanellope left Sugar Rush? :lol:
I don't think that a Slaughter Race Cinderella is quite on-brand with the DP line. :lol:
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Sotiris wrote:Some of the new Comfy Squad merch.
Everything looks so cool! They should do a Disney+ Short about this as soon as possible! I'm shocked there's no announcement about it yet....

So, right now we have 2 TV Commercials about the Comfy Squad brand for this Holiday Season:

Disney Princess Comfy Squad Castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBn-IIPHV78

Disney Princess Comfy Squad Sweet Treats Truck & Scooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSS3VkJtM50
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The Oh My Disney website is shutting down. Who could have seen this coming? :roll: This doesn't date the movie at all!

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2020/09/23 ... ey-update/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Sotiris wrote:The Oh My Disney website is shutting down. Who could have seen this coming? :roll: This doesn't date the movie at all!

https://ohmy.disney.com/news/2020/09/23 ... ey-update/
Wow. I can’t believe it’s shutting down only two years post RBTI.

Shoulda just thrown in The Golden Girls cameo for the hell of it.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I had noticed the site was less and less updated with news and stuff, so I'm not surprised it's shutting down, but Ralph Breaks the Internet is getting dated sooner than I thought.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Shoulda just thrown in The Golden Girls cameo for the hell of it.
Emmm...no. We all love The Golden Girls, but necroing dead celebrities is just tacky and exploitative. I don't know about you, but I didn't want to see CG models of the actresses walking around Oh My Disney surrounded by cartoon characters. The only way it would be OK for me is if it was just a photo or poster of them hung on a wall or something or some indirect reference like a restaurant called The Golden Girls.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I don’t imagine they would have looked like the actual actors ala General Tarkin and Princess Leia. In my head, I always thought they would have been given CGI caricature designs. That wouldn’t have bothered me at all, and it would have been a great cameo.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Do kids even know The Golden Girls? I feel like people would have had a big question mark had they seen them. Especially outside the US.

And lol at Oh My Disney. Truthfully RBTI was outdated two weeks after it came out.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

It doesn't say Oh My Disney is shutting down, though. They're just moving it to a new section of the Disney website and probably being rebranded. Sort of like how Disney Movie Rewards became Disney Movie Insiders. The Disney portion of Ralph Breaks the Internet felt more inspired by D23, anyway.

I personally don't think Ralph Breaks the Internet will be as dated as people think. I feel the filmmakers were careful with its depiction of the Internet. Short comedic videos that are viral hits will always exist. Online racing games will always exist. Auction websites will always exist. And Disney will always have a website or fan portal.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wow, it's as if...DON'T PUT A TEMPORARY WEBSITE IN A DISNEY MOVIE BECAUSE IT'LL BE GONE IN 5 SECONDS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Did you guys even notice it stopped being active right after the movie came out?

I *still* do like RBTI, but you guys will be happy to know that I do like the sequel lot less than two years ago. (Sorry, my Princess feelings hasn't changed. :lol: :P ) It's not bad, but the first movie deserved a lot better and a lot more, especially poor Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch who were pretty much kicked off from their own movie for the sake of cameo appearances, which I'm guessing that Rich Moore and Clark Spencer didn't want in the first place.
Sotiris wrote:
UmbrellaFish wrote:Shoulda just thrown in The Golden Girls cameo for the hell of it.
Emmm...no. We all love The Golden Girls, but necroing dead celebrities is just tacky and exploitative. I don't know about you, but I didn't want to see CG models of the actresses walking around Oh My Disney surrounded by cartoon characters. The only way it would be OK for me is if it was just a photo or poster of them hung on a wall or something or some indirect reference like a restaurant called The Golden Girls.
I do agree. Funny thing: When I saw the D23 cut, the Golden Girls themselves weren't in it, but they were briefly mentioned by Yess when she was introducing Ralph (who was in love with Yesss, wish they kept that in) and Vanellope to OMD.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Wow, it's as if...DON'T PUT A TEMPORARY WEBSITE IN A DISNEY MOVIE BECAUSE IT'LL BE GONE IN 5 SECONDS :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Did you guys even notice it stopped being active right after the movie came out?

I *still* do like RBTI, but you guys will be happy to know that I do like the sequel lot less than two years ago. (Sorry, my Princess feelings hasn't changed. :lol: :P ) It's not bad, but the first movie deserved a lot better and a lot more, especially poor Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch who were pretty much kicked off from their own movie for the sake of cameo appearances, which I'm guessing that Rich Moore and Clark Spencer didn't want in the first place.
I'm sorry for being negative. I know I feel the same way about Moana and sometimes it's disheartening to see a lot of negativity about a favorite. I'll try to be less negative about Ralph.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

What?! Don't apologize. :) It feels bad and it honestly gets tiresome to be the odd man out, but NO NO! It's your opinion. :D
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

disneyprincess11 wrote:It's not bad, but the first movie deserved a lot better and a lot more, especially poor Jack McBrayer and Jane Lynch who were pretty much kicked off from their own movie for the sake of cameo appearances.
Agreed. Had they actually developed the Felix/Calhoun subplot instead of wasting screentime to advertize Disney's franchises, the film would be much more beloved than it is now.

If you think about it, Ralph Breaks the Internet really is the Chicken Little of the Revival era. Both films received mixed reviews and performed so-so at the box office. Both tried to be cool, hip, and capitalize on popular trends of the time. Both were accused of being overly commercial and un-Disney. Both were the last films made before a change of leadership at WDAS.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Did you guys even notice it stopped being active right after the movie came out?
You're right, I think it was around that time that it stopped being active. Maybe it was already unsuccessful before that but they waited till the movie came out to cut down on new content drastically.
estefan wrote:I personally don't think Ralph Breaks the Internet will be as dated as people think. I feel the filmmakers were careful with its depiction of the Internet. Short comedic videos that are viral hits will always exist. Online racing games will always exist. Auction websites will always exist. And Disney will always have a website or fan portal.
Yes, I remember the filmmakers said they did that on purpose and tried not to include things too specific that could get dated too easily, but the Internet is always evolving so certain things will inevitably feel dated in a few years. To be honest, though, I don't mind it much. If all the films they made were like this, then I wouldn't like it; but if it's just a minority, personally I don't have problems with it.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:If you think about it, Ralph Breaks the Internet really is the Chicken Little of the Revival era. Both films received mixed reviews and performed so-so at the box office. Both tried to be cool, hip, and capitalize on popular trends of the time. Both were accused of being overly commercial and un-Disney. Both were the last films made before a change of leadership at WDAS.
Really? I`ve never seen it that way before. But at least Ralph Breaks the Internet was received better critically than Chicken Little. And while both share those aforementioned similarities, at least Chicken Little was way worse than Ralph. Despite that there are moments that I do enjoy in Chicken Little, it was a awful movie as a whole (most of the frenetic moments were cringeworthy to a high degree and the sappy moments were way too sappy. The pop culture references were the best thing of the movie, even though it was a failure as a whole). Even though Ralph was not my favorite among the Disney canon, it still was a better movie as a whole.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Re: WDAS may start making TV shows

Post by bruno_wbt »

NEW COMFY SQUAD BOOK ALERT!

The Princesses exploring and saving the Internet should be one of the new Disney Plus series!

A new storybook inspired by the iconic Disney Princess scene in Disney Ralph Breaks the Internet - with 2 stories in 1!

In the Internet, the avatars of the Disney princesses and Frozen's Anna and Elsa are rulers of OhMyDisney.com, leading sing-alongs and participating in quizzes and games. But all that changed when Vanellope von Schweetz rushed into their dressing room! Now, the princesses and their new friend explore the Internet, and occasionally save it, too! From using their skills to save the day to learning to drive racecars in Slaughter Race, this girl squad is always on an action-packed adventure!
Kids ages 3 to 7 who love the Disney princesses and Frozen will enjoy this two-in-one storybook, which features the princesses' new outfits and amazing adventures!
Inspired by the princess scene from Disney Ralph Breaks the Internet, these stories feature the princesses dressed in casual, comfy outfits with fun, modern-day accessories and going on exciting adventures through the internet!
https://www.amazon.com/-/es/RH-Disney/dp/0736441875/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

bruno_wbt wrote:So, right now we have 2 TV Commercials about the Comfy Squad brand for this Holiday Season:

Disney Princess Comfy Squad Castle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBn-IIPHV78

Disney Princess Comfy Squad Sweet Treats Truck & Scooter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSS3VkJtM50
Here's another commercial (sort of).

Disney Princess Comfy Squad: Ice Cream Emergency
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hJKDWiSrAE
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

In the mobile game Disney Heroes: Battle Mode, a reference to other princesses not understanding Merida is made. It's clearly a nod to the princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet.

bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Sotiris wrote:In the mobile game Disney Heroes: Battle Mode, a reference to other princesses not understanding Merida is made. It's clearly a nod to the princess scene in Ralph Breaks the Internet.

There's another mobile game: Disney Magic Kingdoms, which now features all the princesses with their comfy outfits (except for Anna and Elsa, which are going to be added later this year)

Merdia was added this January and they also used that joke about other princesses not understanding her.

Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

Just a head's up for those who still have it like me, the film is now available to watch on regular cable/OTT TV. It premiered on FreeForm last Sunday.