Ralph Breaks the Internet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Wreck-It Ralph 2

Post by D82 »

^Yes, probably they'll just appear again for a short scene at the end. But I didn't like how they were treated in that clip from the trailer, especially the ones from Walt Disney's era, so I'm not happy with them having more screen time.

I know it's just a little parody intended for having fun, but I find it hard to enjoy it. Maybe I'm a bit too sensitive with these things. For instance, I didn't watch Shrek until three or four years after its release because I didn't like it mocked some Disney characters. Now, though there are still some jokes in it I don't enjoy, it's my favorite Dreamworks film. This, though, is made by Disney, so I think they should treat their characters better. In my opinion, a parody can still be done with respect and here they cross the line a bit too much for my liking. I didn't hate everything, there were some jokes I thought were fine, like the detail of Pocahontas' hair blowing in the wind, but Walt's princesses, as I said, were completely ridiculed. For me, it gives the impression that Disney is ashamed of them and that they're trying to please their detractors.

Apart from that, I don't think the scene is that funny; they also copy many things from the Shrek princesses (like Aurora being always sleepy); and the self-promotion is too obvious.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

Can you say how Walt's princesses were ridiculed? The only thing I can think of is that Snow White seemed too stupid by singing...?
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster wrote:Can you say how Walt's princesses were ridiculed? The only thing I can think of is that Snow White seemed too stupid by singing...?
Well, yes, that's what I found more insulting. But also that, in general, they look much more stupid compared to the others. Their expressions, their voices, etc. I know it's easier to make fun of them, but I don't like to see Disney doing it. That's all, I guess.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I fully agree with you, D82. The princesses are obviously mocked here. Disney's trying to be meta and acknowledge the constant criticism they face in the public eye as well as be fanservice-y and appeal to people's fascination with them. The jokes are a combination of those from Shrek 3 (see Snow White and Aurora) and from fan-art and fan-comics such as the Pocket Princesses (whose creator now works for Disney). It's possible to poke fun at the princesses and their tropes and stay respectful like Enchanted did. This is not one of those cases.

Source: https://briannacherrygarcia.deviantart. ... a-42854459

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bjz-k_9Dee_ ... y=oonaraoo
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Oh, ok D82. I don't feel like they were made fun of like that, but maybe you see something I can't or just have a different opinion. I must agree though I would prefer it were more like Enchanted like Sotiris said.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Here's who is responsible for how the princesses look in Wreck-It Ralph 2.
Mingjue Helen Chen wrote:Seriously, an ARMY brought the Disney princesses to the screen. Ami Thompson did initial the redesigns, Cory Loftis art directed the princesses from beginning to end, the modelers, look artists, riggers and animators (including 2d legend Mark Henn!), made them feel RIGHT!
Source: https://twitter.com/MingjueChen/status/ ... 0436653056
Sergi Caballer wrote:So proud of all the work done! Great character modeling team effort! Ryan Tottle From left>right top>bottom Alena Wooten-Tottle, Chad Stubblefield, myself, Zack Petroc, myself, Irene Matar, Zack Petroc, Chris Anderson, Chris Anderson, Brandon Lawless, Chad Stubblefield, Alena Wooten-Tottle.
Source: https://twitter.com/SergiCaballer/statu ... 6116728833
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

Disney Duster wrote:Can you say how Walt's princesses were ridiculed? The only thing I can think of is that Snow White seemed too stupid by singing...?
I thought they were all a bit silly. :lol: :lol: :lol: which I think was the scene's intent. Even in the promotional pic that Disney has released with all the princesses, you can see that it's just intended to be a fun scene, nothing serious. :)
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I fully agree with you, D82. The princesses are obviously mocked here. Disney's trying to be meta and acknowledge the constant criticism they face in the public eye as well as be fanservice-y and appeal to people's fascination with them. The jokes are a combination of those from Shrek 3 (see Snow White and Aurora) and from fan-art and fan-comics such as the Pocket Princesses (whose creator now works for Disney). It's possible to poke fun at the princesses and their tropes and stay respectful like Enchanted did. This is not one of those cases.
I'm glad to know I'm not the only one who has this opinion. Well, I know it's not only you, there are more people who have expressed their discontent with the scene, but it's comforting to hear someone understands how I feel about it. Also, you must be right about Disney taking inspiration from those fan-arts and fan-comics. The fan-art you posted has a lot in common with the picture of all the princesses Disney made. It can't be just a coincidence.

By the way, I've realized my latest comments about this might've sounded a bit contradictory. At first it seemed like I was defending the princesses' scene and now the complete opposite. That's just because I've changed my mind after watching them in the trailer. Well, I didn't like the reports from D23 much, but I thought the actual footage would be better. However, that wasn't the case for me. Had the parody been more similar to the one in Enchanted, I wouldn't have had a problem with it.

Sotiris wrote:Here's who is responsible for how the princesses look in Wreck-It Ralph 2.
Mingjue Helen Chen wrote:Seriously, an ARMY brought the Disney princesses to the screen. Ami Thompson did initial the redesigns, Cory Loftis art directed the princesses from beginning to end, the modelers, look artists, riggers and animators (including 2d legend Mark Henn!), made them feel RIGHT!
Source: https://twitter.com/MingjueChen/status/ ... 0436653056
Sergi Caballer wrote:So proud of all the work done! Great character modeling team effort! Ryan Tottle From left>right top>bottom Alena Wooten-Tottle, Chad Stubblefield, myself, Zack Petroc, myself, Irene Matar, Zack Petroc, Chris Anderson, Chris Anderson, Brandon Lawless, Chad Stubblefield, Alena Wooten-Tottle.
Source: https://twitter.com/SergiCaballer/statu ... 6116728833
Great! Now we know who to throw tomatoes at. :lol: Mark Henn's contribution, though, is probably the reason they don't look even worse.

Sicoe Vlad wrote:I thought they were all a bit silly. :lol: :lol: :lol: which I think was the scene's intent.
Yes, they all were. But I think Walt's princesses got the worst part.

Disney Duster wrote:Oh, ok D82. I don't feel like they were made fun of like that, but maybe you see something I can't or just have a different opinion. I must agree though I would prefer it were more like Enchanted like Sotiris said.
It's OK, we just have different opinions about this. We all have different standards for measuring what we find acceptable and what we don't. And though I don't like the princesses' scene myself, I'm actually happy for you and the others who are excited about it. :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thanks for saying that. I enjoy the scene for just being the fake versions of the princesses I guess.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:It's possible to poke fun at the princesses and their tropes and stay respectful like Enchanted did. This is not one of those cases.
:up:

Well said. Agreed.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

With the princesses questions, I knew Disney was making fun of the princesses right away. In a "Haha, we're aware. Let's have fun with it" kind of way, not in a "They suck" way. I also see it as a way that Disney's trying to say, "The princesses are more than these stereotypes."

And speaking of more princess scenes, it looks like Ming (Mulan) was back yesterday to record more lines.

https://twitter.com/_paul_briggs_/statu ... 9857393664
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:And speaking of more princess scenes, it looks like Ming (Mulan) was back yesterday to record more lines.

Could this mean they've decided to add more scenes or lines with them after the positive reception of the trailer or of the scene at D23?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

D82 wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:And speaking of more princess scenes, it looks like Ming (Mulan) was back yesterday to record more lines.

Could this mean they've decided to add more scenes or lines with them after the positive reception of the trailer or of the scene at D23?
Ugh I hope not. Perhaps this is why they were hinting that the princesses will have more than just this one scene. It's also possible that the scene was extended because of how well received it was. I don't think Mulan has many lines so maybe they're extending the roles for some of the princesses.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Wreck-It Ralph 2 presentation at Annecy.
In the second film, the action kicks off when the now seemingly-perfect world that Ralph and Vanellope have built for themselves is threatened by a broken steering wheel on the Sugar Rush game Vanellope calls home. If a replacement can’t be secured, arcade manager Mr. Litwak will be forced to sell the game’s hardware for parts, leaving Vanellope and all her co-characters homeless.

In the day’s first clip from the upcoming sequel, Ralph and Vanellope have recently made the decision to enter the prohibited portal to a “game” called WiFi, and bravely make their way onto the internet to secure a replacement steering wheel from eBay. The pair ascend into the arcade’s router, but can’t seem to figure out just how it works. That is until Mr. Litwak connects his iMac, which opens a path for the two to blast through a series of fiber optic cables and into the unimaginably-massive world of The Internet.

In clip two, Ralph has located a “Search Bar,” tended by a diminutive librarian-looking fellow named Mr. Knowsmore, who constantly interrupts as Ralph tries to enter his search parameters. Vanellope quickly realizes that Knowsmore is just eager to help predict what it is Ralph is looking for, and more clearly asks for directions to the eBay page of the replacement steering wheel.

The third clip picked up after Ralph and Vanellope have made their way to eBay, a massive center full of auction blocks, broken up into key categories. With help from Ralph, Vanellope gets a birds-eye view of the auction-house where she is able to locate the sale they are looking for, and just in time as there are only 30 seconds left to place bids. A laugh-provoking series of last second bids from the pair ends with Ralph placing a winning bid of $27,001. It’s clear from their exchange however that the two don’t exactly understand what they’ve gotten themselves on the hook for.

The penultimate clip started with the two at the eBay check-out counter where they are told the steering wheel will be delivered a full two days before Mr. Litwak plans to disassemble the Sugar Rush game. The joy this announcement instills in the two is quickly dampened however, when the cashier asks how the two would like to pay. Ralph tries to guess a credit card number, but when 7 and 11 fail to work, they are told they have 24 hours in which to pay for the item, or they will lose the bid and the auction will be invalidated.

The fifth and final clip of the day was the best-received by the Annecy crowd, and is alluded to in the film’s trailer. Having been chased through the “Oh My Disney” fanpage by a group of “Star Wars” imperial storm troopers, Vanellope uses her glitching abilities to teleport into a restricted room. It’s here that she runs into the Disney’s roster of iconic princesses. The scene is full of jokes, many poking fun at some of Disney’s older films with themes that don’t quite hold up to modern sensibilities, which had the Annecy crowd roaring with laughter. It was here that the French-speaking audience had the advantage of subtitles, as the jokes were so quick to come, and so well-received that at times it was hard to hear what was being said. This is a film likely to require multiple viewings if one wishes to catch everything.

Once the clip had finished the audience was treated to a behind-the-scenes look at the many voice actors who returned to play the characters they voiced years and decades ago. Finally, an early animation test for “The Little Mermaid’s” Ariel was screened; drawn by Disney’s Mark Henn, the original animation supervisor for five of the represented princesses.
Source: https://variety.com/2018/film/festivals ... 202847868/
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

HEAD'S UP: Spoilers in the article

FINALLY! Some story details! And I'm really glad that eBay actually has a point and not some cameo. So, from what I'm getting: They go to eBay first and can't get the wheel. So, that's why Ralph and Vanellpe want go viral: To get attention, so they can get the money for the wheel. And they explore the Internet to get help.

So, how are Felix and Calhoun doing? :lol: :lol: :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:So, from what I'm getting: They go to eBay first and can't get the wheel. So, that's why Ralph and Vanellpe want go viral: To get attention, so they can get the money for the wheel. And they explore the Internet to get help.
Oh, yes that must be what happens. I'm also glad the sites they go to have a purpose for the story and they don't just visit them. Speaking of that, the people at eBay must be happy. Apparently, they are featured a lot in the movie. Now that we know more details from the story, I have more hope the movie could be good.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

D82 wrote:Now that we know more details from the story, I have more hope the movie could be good.
I just don't know why Disney took this long to explain the plot. They could have just explained the plot in the recent trailer and still put the princess scene in. I just hope they do in the last trailer.

And it's almost July, meaning we should get the full cast of characters soon. I'm really excited and curious to see what they are.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:I just don't know why Disney took this long to explain the plot. They could have just explained the plot in the recent trailer and still put the princess scene in.
Yeah, the latest trailer was more like a second teaser. It gave the impression there wasn't a strong plot. I guess they thought the princesses were enough to get people's attention. And it seems they were right; the scene is a success wherever they show it. But I'm glad we finally got more details about the story.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Even when the trailer for this came on before Incredibles 2 today, I noticed that most people didn't seem very interested as if they either weren't familiar with the original movie or didn't care for it. But everybody reacted to the princess scene. Disney knows that this scene alone will bring a hit on their hands, faithfulness and respect to the original characters be damned.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

This doesn't seem respectful or in-character to me. :headshake:
Just seen a work in progress cut of Wreck-It Ralph 2 at the Annecy Film festival where they showed us entire princess scene. It went for about 5 minutes.

Pocahontas asks Vanellope what kind of princess is she.

Ariel: "Did you ever trade your voice to an evil sea witch for pair of legs to get the man you love?"
Vanellope: No! That would be stupid! Who would do that?

Jasmine: Do you have daddy issues?
Vanellope: I don't even have a mom!
Half of the princesses yells: Neither do we!

Then the scene goes on like in the trailer. Afterwards, the princesses comment on how much they like Vanellope's T-shirt. She explains what that is and Cinderella says she would love one and that she will call her mice friends.

The scene transitions in a Batman/Adam West style but with the Disney logo to all of them all having T-shirts and hanging out with Vanellope.

Ariel: "I never had a... what's that word again? T-shirt..." and starts singing Part of Your World. The rest yell at her to stop it. Jasmine mentions she is allergic to cats and has asthma (she uses an inhaler) and Snow White that she needs glasses as she's short-sighted (and start making poses from her movie when she was running in the woods). Tiana's hairstyle in the scene changes to more modern afro.

Merida starts talking which sounds like gibberish similar to the way Young MacGuffin talks in Brave. The girls explain they don't understand her as she is from a different studio (the entire audience applauded to this joke) but they all like each other and they are all friends despite their flaws and different "glitches".

One says: "I mean how stupid would it be if we were all alike?" and the rest of them nod.

Then 3CPO enters the room to say that all the princesses are needed. Moana ask Vanellope if she wants to come but she is shy about it. She tries to pet Meeko but he acts feral-like and angry. Pocahontas explains he doesn't like being petted.

Mulan and Anna also got a line or two.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1613467 ... 317895601/