Ralph Breaks the Internet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Ralph Breaks the Internet

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The picture of Shank in DisneyEra's post made me think of Mercedes Ruehl (when she was younger). See here.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

https://www.cartoonbrew.com/disney/disn ... 62867.html

Animation has just finished.

Please note Justin Sklar’s tweets.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Jules wrote:Please note Justin Sklar’s tweets.
:roll: That's just an attention-seeking, elitist, self-pat on the pack. Literally the same applies to every big animation studio. What even prompted this? No one ever said that Disney doesn't produce high-quality computer animation. In fact, they are constantly praised for it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Sotiris wrote:
:roll: That's just an attention-seeking, elitist, self-pat on the pack. Literally the same applies to every big animation studio. What even prompted this? No one ever said that Disney doesn't produce high-quality computer animation. In fact, they are constantly praised for it.
My guess is because of criticism about how the film is product placment-y. He's probably want to say "it's art" or something...
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think Sklar is just congratulating his fellow animators on their hard work. I think what he wrote was beautiful. Animators deserve to be commended for their high-quality work and it's good to see he's proud of what they've put together.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

I didn’t quite interpret it that way. But I do try to appreciate the good stuff that comes out of the studio. So, even if WIR2 is a product placement-y cash grab, I feel Sklar’s tweets are a sincere reflection of the animation department’s unwavering dedication to produce the best possible work. When sometimes we write off the character designs as “deeply flawed” or “what-were-they-thinking!?”, the truth is great effort goes into every decision that makes up that design (though of course we don’t have to like it. :P )

Think of the The Emoji Movie, last year. Everybody thinks it is absolute crap, and it most probably is. I have not yet watched it, but I do intend to do so if only to appreciate the always-stellar animation from Sony Pictures ImageWorks. I’m sure the Sony guys were proud when they wrapped up their animation (even if they knew that the film would stink). There’s nothing wrong with that. I think Sklar wrote those tweets to counter a certain lack of appreciation the public has for the animation process itself.

Many of you agree that Chicken Little is one of the worst WDAS films. Nevertheless I still enjoy watching it to experience the animation craft itself. I am probably repeating myself, but even if WIR2 turns out to be stinkier than a two-week old cow carcass left in the baking sun, I urge you all to have a little more faith in the film’s designers and animators.

I suppose I’m not really cynical when it comes to these things. :shrug:

EDIT: You got here before me, estefan. :)

Btw, keep in mind you guys are not just film fans but animation aficionados. Guys like us learn to appreciate even great trash! :P

2nd EDIT: Rereading my previous post makes me realise I sounded almost threatening. :lol: I really should have written:

Please note Sklar’s tweets, OR ELSE. :twisted:
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Sotiris wrote:
I don't know how you took this as him getting defensive. It was the equivalent of what they would say at an awards acceptance speech, he just doesn't want the public taking the work for granted.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I can see how the first few parts of the thread could sound overly self-congratulatory.

I hope the animators enjoy their work. Still, 3D animation has never grown on me and WIR2 looks like soulless trash regardless of its animation. *shrug* I can enjoy the concept art and base character/background designs at least.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

I don't see how it's self-congratulatory at all. He's talking about all of the animators, not just him.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

People are complaining about Tiana's (+ Pocahontas') sk8n tones in the new picture [but then the article mentions that the Entertainment Weekly scan had lighter overall colors]:

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... skin-tone/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Why ain't this a surprise? :P
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Because petty twitter mobs are a daily presence in our lives now? People were complaining she wasn't black enough when she was first revealed for her own movie, so it would be shocking if they didn't find something new.
Jay
Anniversary Edition

Post by Jay »

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Prince Kido wrote: The fact we saw Esmeralda, Meg, Jane and Kida doesn't prove anything but I was intriguing anyway. All the heroines / princesses were on a screen behind Henn while we saw him interacting with the original princesses voices by video conferences, each in a mosaic square. So, the square with Henn was little, and the panel with the heroines behind even smaller but I noticed the four I mentioned and noted that a moment those four where lighted off / hidden from the rest. That's all in fact.
Perhaps these four will be in the movie but are being kept secret since I'm sure the filmmakers don't want everything revealed in a trailer. It would help if we got confirmation that one or more of the voice actresses (Demi Moore, Susan Egan, Minnie Driver, Cree Summer) has been in the studio lately. At the same time, I'm not sure how interested Demi Moore and Minnie Driver would be, considering they're both popular mainstream actresses.

It would be cool to see them in the movie maybe in an post credit scene. Susan Egan would 100% be on board and I imagine Cree Summer would be back. Moore and Driver are up in the air as they are "bigger" stars. They were faithful in returning for the sequels/TV series but those were years ago and I don't know if they would want to come back for what would most likely be 2 lines at most. But if the price is right who knows.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

the other day my soon to be 10 year old niece told me she wants to see WIR2 b/c "all the princesses are gonna be in it!" Mind you, she has never cared to see the first one.

well played Disney...

:milkbuds:
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Kyle wrote:People were complaining she wasn't black enough when she was first revealed for her own movie, so it would be shocking if they didn't find something new.
Oh, I remember those complains. And it's unbelievable that it's almost a decade ago (which was the time where I joined in this board). Man, time flies.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmende ... 0907131194

Ralph's sequel is basically just being used to promote the Princesses & other IPs. We should start to see Merchandise for this feature next month & if they release new Dolls/clothing based on the Princesses, well, that will tell you enough about this whole mess.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

They're marketable designs, they'd be fools not to.

What matters is how much of the movie they take up.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I'm sure the modern day casual wear for the princesses will be released as real life clothes, not to mention outfits for dolls. I hope they change the dolls to resemble their WIR2 appearances though. Maybe they'll sell as well as the Emma Watson Belle dolls did lol.

I actually remember hearing a lot of flack on Tiana's skin tone from both sides. Some people complained she was too light, and others complained she was too dark.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Never once saw a person say she was too dark at any point.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

So this is what everyone was talking earlier about :lol:
Last edited by DisneyEra on Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.