Ralph Breaks the Internet

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Ralph Breaks the Internet

Post by disneyprincess11 »

The number of white, male animators in that video is quite alarming :huh: and of course, they "are to blame" for the "whitewashing" and the personalities of the princesses. I really hope it isn't bad as Pixar.

unprincess, exactly! As I expected in Day 1, the princesses are making everyone want to see a sequel to a lesser-known Disney movie. This is going to be Ralph's legacy, unfortunately for the first movie. The movie is going to be a smash hit, thanks to this one 5-minute scene. And Disney already knows it. They just revived that ride that was going to replace the Stitch attraction two years ago.

https://wdwnt.com/2018/08/rumor-wreck-i ... c-kingdom/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I noticed that the Wreck-It Ralph attraction is coming soon and I instantly pegged it as cross-marketing synergy. I wouldn't be surprised if the final product ends up featuring the princesses as well.
Kyle wrote:Never once saw a person say she was too dark at any point.
I remember reading an article about Tiana merchandise. Apparently an African American woman complained that Tiana was depicted as too dark in the merchandise, whatever it was. There was also that controversy about Tiana being used to promote watermelon candy in juxtaposition to Aurora who was pictured on vanilla flavor.

To be fair, Tiana and her film were controversial since the movie's announcement way back in 2007 (or 2006 or whatever). I remember that when the British Prince Harry was changed into the ethnically ambiguous Prince Naveen, there was one African American woman who remarked that this was better because if Tiana had been with a white prince, this would have given black girls, such as her daughter, unrealistic expectations that black women can get a white man. I remember feeling quite disturbed at this post, especially because she said that in real life, white men rarely find black women desirable so it was better for Disney not to give her daughter false hopes, whereas black men are more commonly found with white women.

That actually made me think of all the interracial couples in Disney movies and how usually it's a white man with a woman of color (Pocahontas/John Smith, Esmeralda/Phoebus, Kida/Milo) and even in the live-action Beauty and the Beast (Garderobe/Cadenza and Plumette/Lumiere).
Last edited by JeanGreyForever on Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

New concept art images of the Princesses in their "casual" cloths.

https://yumeka36.tumblr.com/post/177099 ... -and-their
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

JeanGreyForever wrote: That actually made me think of all the interracial couples in Disney movies and how usually it's a white man with a woman of color (Pocahontas/John Smith, Esmeralda/Phoebus, Kida/Milo) and even in the live-action Beauty and the Beast (Garderobe/Cadenza and Plumette/Lumiere).

That's due to some subconscious fear American society still has at large regarding men of color. "Where the white woman at", and all that stuff.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

thedisneyspirit wrote: That's due to some subconscious fear American society still has at large regarding men of color. "Where the white woman at", and all that stuff.
Unfortunately these days it's not even very subconscious. If Disney really wants to be progressive, I'd like to see the dynamics of the interracial couple flipped so we can have a male character of color paired with a white woman.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

thedisneyspirit wrote:That's due to some subconscious fear American society still has at large regarding men of color. "Where the white woman at", and all that stuff.
In Disney's case, I think it's just a coincidence. It would have been nice if there was a Black prince though.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

The voice actresses of the Disney princesses talk about their participation in the film in "The Power of the Princess" panel from D23 that Disney has uploaded to Youtube: https://youtu.be/vBzagBlPFVQ?t=1689

Sotiris wrote:
Elladorine wrote:These aren't intended to be the "real" characters from the films, they're the "internet" versions.
But that doesn't make any sense. :embarrassed: Why would fictional characters have online avatars or an Internet version of themselves? Oh My Disney didn't create a special, online version of them that differs from their movie counterparts; they just post articles about them. Had Disney launched an app or an online game with the princesses in the way they are depicted here, I would understand including them then. Not to mention, people won't be able to tell the difference because the movie itself doesn't make a distinction.
To tell you the truth, it has never made too much sense for me either. They should've made them part of an online game or an app, as you said. That would've been more in consonance with the first film and would've made it clear they aren't the real characters.

unprincess wrote:Honestly Id be angrier about this but Im dealing with some difficult real life stuff right now that has kept my mind from being focused so much on this
I've had a difficult week too and I thought of you. In my case, it was a sudden problem regarding the health of a family member. Thankfully, finally it wasn't anything serious as it first seemed, but I'm still recovering from the scare. I was sorry to hear you were dealing with some difficult problems. Whatever they are, I hope they get solved as soon as possible and everything's okay again.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyEra wrote:New concept art images of the Princesses in their "casual" cloths.
Thanks for sharing. Even though the princesses are stylized the same way, they look better in concept art form than in CG. There must be an inherent quality in computer animation that alters and dilutes intended design.
D82 wrote:The voice actresses of the Disney princesses talk about their participation in the film in "The Power of the Princess" panel from D23 that Disney has uploaded to Youtube.
I'm glad Disney has started posting entire panels from conventions. I hope they keep it up.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Don't like the art styles for those books. Sorry.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Where did you find those covers? They're not on Amazon. Glad we have confirmation Gene is in this. Nice to see you, Felix :lol: :lol: :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Nicole Scherzinger, who voiced Moana's mother, has posted an image of herself recording again at Disney. Aren't Phil Johnston and Rich Moore the guys who appear with her in the photo? Could she be recording for Ralph Breaks the Internet?

Sotiris wrote:I'm glad Disney has started posting entire panels from conventions. I hope they keep it up.
Yes, it's great. I hope that too.

disneyprincess11 wrote:Where did you find those covers? They're not on Amazon.
You should know by now that Sotiris has magical powers. Otherwise, how do you explain things like that? :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Nicole Scherzinger, who voiced Moana's mother, has posted an image of herself recording again at Disney. Aren't Phil Johnston and Rich Moore the guys who appear with her in the photo? Could she be recording for Ralph Breaks the Internet?
That's indeed them. Is Moana's mom going to appear in the movie too? Could Nicole be recording an end credits song for the movie?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Telling from real life/animation, that looks like a joke. But, who knows? :P

I thought they would be done with the voice acting by now. If Nicole is voicing a character (Siana or not), this must be the largest cast in a Disney movie. If she is doing a song (doubt it), I'm surprised they chose her and not a more popular singer like Camilla from 5th Harmony
D82 wrote:
disneyprincess11 wrote:Where did you find those covers? They're not on Amazon.
You should know by now that Sotiris has magical powers. Otherwise, how do you explain things like that? :P
Well, duh :wink:
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

DisneyEra wrote:New concept art images of the Princesses in their "casual" cloths.

https://yumeka36.tumblr.com/post/177099 ... -and-their
They look great in the concept art, especially in their original dresses. Pocahontas, Tiana and Cinderella actually look like themselves :lol: . I love the little changes in Aurora and Jasmine's outfits. And how cool does Mulan look in that dress and in this pose? I wish that's how she would look like in princess line-up, instead of her green dress. Also, still surprised they used Merida's original redesign, even including the sparkles.

Does anyone else think Anna and Merida's modern clothes are similar?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Raf wrote:Does anyone else think Anna and Merida's modern clothes are similar?
Yeah, I think it's the flannel. They should have made something more unique for Anna.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

D82 wrote:
unprincess wrote:Honestly Id be angrier about this but Im dealing with some difficult real life stuff right now that has kept my mind from being focused so much on this
I've had a difficult week too and I thought of you. In my case, it was a sudden problem regarding the health of a family member. Thankfully, finally it wasn't anything serious as it first seemed, but I'm still recovering from the scare. I was sorry to hear you were dealing with some difficult problems. Whatever they are, I hope they get solved as soon as possible and everything's okay again.
thanks! :) my parents are elderly and Im in the beginning-mid stages of becoming a caretaker. For someone like me who has to deal with that on top of my own anxiety and Asperger's, its been tough. Im glad things worked out for you and your loved one.

anyway I wonder if the Disney animators knew that there is such a thing as "Hanna" shippers when they decided to make Anna wear that shirt. Ive already seen fanart about it, lol. :lol:
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:Thanks for sharing. Even though the princesses are stylized the same way, they look better in concept art form than in CG. There must be an inherent quality in computer animation that alters and dilutes intended design.
It reminds me of this piece from Deviantart a few years ago.

https://www.deviantart.com/bealor/art/P ... -389904913