DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 10:19 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

What baffles me is that people want this movieboycotted. Yes. Boycotted. And it's not even in theaters across the country yet!

I mean, really? I get that The Last Jedi was very divisive amid the fanbase, but is that really necessary? :?

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 5:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

I am not a Star Wars fan. I've seen two of the films--A New Hope and The Force Awakens--and I found them to be generally entertaining but nothing special. I never saw the films as a child and so I have no nostalgia for the series that a lot of moviegoers do. That said, I am actually interested in seeing this film, and that's solely because of the actors involved. ‎Alden Ehrenreich was brilliant in Hail, Caesar!, and Emilia Clarke and Donald Glover are personal favorites. I wouldn't say I'm "excited" to see the film, but this is the first in the franchise that I'd consider going out of my way to see.

And who cares about the whiny fanboys? I guarantee that they'll still see it.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2018 7:26 pm 
Limited Edition

DisneyJedi wrote:
What baffles me is that people want this movieboycotted. Yes. Boycotted. And it's not even in theaters across the country yet!

I mean, really? I get that The Last Jedi was very divisive amid the fanbase, but is that really necessary? :?

It's a very small but vocal minority. Apparently their latest grievance is that Lando's droid sidekick has a female voice.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:16 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

There's also a camp annoyed about the directors being replaced during production.

But I do think the notion of boycotting a movie is silly. All you're doing is choosing to see something else at the movie theatre or at home, something a lot of people do on a daily basis when trying to find a movie to watch. There's no grand statement being made there. That movie just joins the hundreds of thousands you haven't seen, because nobody has seen every movie ever made, not even professional film critics.

Anyway, joke's on the people making a big fuss about not seeing Solo, since it's currently tracking to make about $170 million on its opening weekend. Disney isn't going to miss their money.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:37 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Now sure how the fact that no one has seen every movie is relavant...

I just don't want disney/lucasfilm thinking that this is what fans want to see. Obviously I can't speak for more than just myself, but I can do my part by not giving in. I'll watch it at some point through some other means, but not a way that that pays them for it.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:16 am 
Platinum Edition

Has anyone here seen this yet? I can't wait to, but my husband isn't happy w/ Star Wars anymore + doesn't want to see it. I know reviews are mixed.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:33 pm 
Limited Edition

blackcauldron85 wrote:
Has anyone here seen this yet? I can't wait to, but my husband isn't happy w/ Star Wars anymore + doesn't want to see it. I know reviews are mixed.

I want to see it, but I won't be able to do it until next week. Yes, the actual reviews weren't as good as the first reactions. And now it seems it won't open as big as expected: http://variety.com/2018/film/box-office ... 202823304/

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:48 pm 
Gold Collection

If you want more Young Solo movies, you'd better do ANYTHING you can to help Solo do well. I recommend seeing Solo as many times as you can while spending as much $ on it as you can (see it in 3-D, D-Box, Imax, buy as much merchandise as you can, etc.) as its very likely to not only gross enough to break even and get sequels, but also potentially cancel future potential Star Wars (and even other franchise) movies!

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:34 pm 
Limited Edition

I watched this movie and I actually really loved it! I didn't expect to because I wasn't interested in an individual Han Solo film at all, but Alden Ehrenreich did an amazing job and did justice to Han. Same with Donald Glover as Lando. Both legitimately felt like younger versions of the original characters. It's a shame that the film is "bombing" because it deserves way better. I would totally be down for a sequel especially after that surprise character appearance Darth Maul for anyone who cares, although I already knew about this cameo beforehand. I've been a fan of all the Disney Star Wars films so take from that what you will, but I quite enjoyed this. I'm not a Game of Thrones fan so I've never seen Emilia Clarke in anything before but I quite enjoyed her character and wish to see more of her as well.

blackcauldron85 wrote:

I'm hearing a lot of people who detested The Last Jedi (and/or The Force Awakens, Rogue One, etc.) but loved Solo so I would suggest that your husband give it a chance because this one he might just enjoy. Many people are saying that it feels the most like part of the Original Trilogy and there are also callbacks to the prequels, but the better elements of the prequels.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 pm 
Platinum Edition

^ Thank you!!! I will let him know! :)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

DVD and Blu-ray announced for 9/25!:

https://www.starwars.com/news/solo-in-home