Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Maleficent 2

Post by Disney Duster »

I hate re-casting as well. I would like if they did the prince's evil mother last half of the fairy tale idea though.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chiwetel Ejiofor is playing Maleficent's love interest.
Production is expected to begin this week on Maleficent 2, with Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning returning as Maleficent and Aurora. Now we have learned that the Doctor Strange star Chiwetel Ejiofor is in talks to join the film in unknown role but is said to be a romantic foil to Jolie’s Maleficent.
Source: http://thathashtagshow.com/2018/05/excl ... eficent-2/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:Chiwetel Ejiofor is playing Maleficent's love interest.
Then I was wrong about Ed Skrien being her love interest, but they're giving her one after all. It would be nice if, as it seems, they were adapting the second part of the fairytale. As for Prince Philip's recasting, I think the new actor should've played a new character, a new prince, instead of having the same role of Philip. After all, as far as I remember, his love story with Aurora wasn't too developed in the first film. Plus, they haven't been too faithful to the story or respectful to the original characters, so they shouldn't have had problems giving Aurora a new prince.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:As for Prince Philip's recasting, I think the new actor should've played a new character, a new prince, instead of having the same role of Philip.
Agreed. I always felt that recasting was a lazy practice. When an actor from the original is unavailable, the clever way to resolve it is through writing, not recasting.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Even Once Upon a Time, for all its flaws, was able to explain why Robin Hood had two different actors. The one time they actually acknowledged continuity...even if they failed to do so for other cases like Gaston's set of actors.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

On the other hand, recasting can have its benefits. Most people seem to prefer Mark Ruffalo's interpretation of Bruce Banner and the Hulk over Edward Norton and accepted him playing the role in The Avengers pretty quickly. And they definitely weren't going to stop using the Hulk, just because Norton stopped playing him. Don Cheadle's Rhodey also seems to be embraced more than Terrence Howard's.

Of course, then you have cases where the character becomes radically different like Michael Gambon's portrayal of Dumbledore. Although it was a little tricky for Richard Harris to continue the role for obvious reasons.

For me, the worst example of recasting for no good reason was Tommy Lee Jones playing Two-Face in Batman Forever. Billy Dee Williams was all set to play Two-Face after playing Harvey Dent and I'm sure would have done a much better job than Jones, who seemed to be competing with Jim Carrey on who could be more over-the-top.

Thwaites didn't leave much of a lasting impression on me as Prince Philip, so seeing a new actor in the role won't be particularly distracting to me. But I recognise everyone is different.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I would've much rather they had written Phillip out than re-cast him--by far. I despise re-castings, no matter how minor the role. The only time I won't complain too much is if an actor died and their character was too integral to get rid of entirely. They could've had Phillip off on some adventure or other that only gets a mention or whatever. Maybe near the end, they set up the fact that he may need to be rescued or some such story to setup Maleficent 3/Thwaite's return. I definitely would not want Aurora to be given a new love interest.

I didn't really like Doctor Strange (I'm guessing the sequel will be better now that they've done with the boilerplate origin story), but Ejiofor was a bright spot. I can see him and Jolie having chemistry together. Still wish it had been Skrein though.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

estefan wrote:On the other hand, recasting can have its benefits. Most people seem to prefer Mark Ruffalo's interpretation of Bruce Banner and the Hulk over Edward Norton and accepted him playing the role in The Avengers pretty quickly. And they definitely weren't going to stop using the Hulk, just because Norton stopped playing him. Don Cheadle's Rhodey also seems to be embraced more than Terrence Howard's.
Maybe people are more used to recasting in superhero films because many superheroes have been played by more than one actor. Edward Norton, for example, wasn't the first to play Hulk. Personally, with a few exceptions, I usually don't like recasting and I prefer other alternatives.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Plus the Avengers weren't required to have the same people who had played the characters in past films because The Avengers isn't considered a sequel to The Hulk or another Superhero movie.

And Dumbledore's actor did die and did have a character too integral to write out.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Disney Duster wrote:Plus the Avengers weren't required to have the same people who had played the characters in past films because The Avengers isn't considered a sequel to The Hulk or another Superhero movie.
That's inaccurate.

It' s set in the same universe as The Incredible Hulk and was meant to be a follow-up to that film, Iron Man, Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America: The First Avenger with the previous films providing set-up that would eventually pay-off in The Avengers. Bruce even references the climax in Harlem from The Incredible Hulk and William Hurt later reprised his role in future Marvel movies. And, of course, there was Robert Downey Jr showing up as Tony Stark in the movie. So I think most people were expecting Edward Norton to come back.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I think it can be both a sequel and a seperate movie. Maleficent and the Harry Potter movies can't be.
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

Soap operas recast characters all the time, so I've gotten used to the idea of other performers stepping into roles played by someone else. Perhaps the most extreme case I've seen of a recast was mid-episode on "All My Children."
Alexa Havins as Babe Chandler hugged her on-screen mother and the show cut to a backside shot of the actress. When it cut to her face again, they pulled back from the hug and Babe was now played by Amanda Baker.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0SAuT5KHTM[/youtube]

Anyways, to keep it Maleficent related, Brenton Thwaites had the emotional range of a wooden plank and offered nothing to the role beyond a blandsome face, and repeated that same style of acting in Pirates of the Caribbean. So I welcome whatever Harris Dickinson will bring to the role. Maybe they'll have him channel his Beach Rats character to give Phillip a bit of an edge.

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Omg that "All My Children" thing is amazing.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

We don't know yet what character she'll be playing.

‘Fantastic Beasts’ Actress Jenn Murray Joins ‘Maleficent 2’ (EXCLUSIVE)
http://variety.com/2018/film/news/fanta ... 202814628/
Disney's Divinity

I remember her from FB. I'd guess she'll either be a fairy like Maleficent or a lower-rung antagonist, but who knows.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

David Gyasi is joining the cast in an unknown yet role.

David Gyasi Joins Disney’s ‘Maleficent’ Sequel
http://deadline.com/2018/05/david-gyasi ... 202396377/
Disney's Divinity

Looking at his filmography, I've seen The Dark Knight Rises, but I don't remember or recognize him. Not that that means anything necessarily (I didn't remember Luke Evans from The Hobbit when he was announced to play as Gaston in B&tB, but he was fantastic).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Production has started on the sequel to Maleficent which has been officially named Maleficent II. What a horrible title. Why didn't they just add a subtitle instead of a number? I really hope they change it. Michael Feifer's character is named Queen Ingrith and not Ingris as previously reported by Skyler Shuler.
Walt Disney Pictures has announced that production has officially begun on Maleficent II, a sequel to the 2014 global box office hit Maleficent, at Pinewood Studios and on locations throughout the U.K. Academy Award and three-time Golden Globe winner Angelina Jolie and Elle Fanning reprise their roles as the dark fairy Maleficent and Princess Aurora, respectively, two characters from the studio’s animated classic Sleeping Beauty, whose untold story was brought to life on screen in Maleficent. Michelle Pfeiffer, Golden Globe Award winning, Emmy nominated and three-time Academy Award nominated actress, joins the cast as Queen Ingrith. Also joining the production are Academy Award and Golden Globe nominee Chiwetel Ejiofor, Ed Skrein, and Robert Lindsay. Harris Dickinson joins “Maleficent II” as Prince Phillip.

The film is directed by Joachim Rønning (Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales, Kon-Tiki) and written by Linda Woolverton (Alice in Wonderland, Beauty and the Beast) and Micah Fitzerman-Blue & Noah Harpster (Transparent). The producers are Joe Roth (Alice through the Looking Glass, Oz the Great and Powerful, Maleficent) and Angelina Jolie.

Additional cast members returning from the 2014 film include: Sam Riley (Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, Control) as Diaval; Oscar nominee Imelda Staunton (Pride, the Harry Potter films) as the pixie Knotgrass; Juno Temple (Wonder Wheel, Atonement) as the pixie Thistlewit; and Academy Award nominee Lesley Manville (Phantom Thread, Topsy-Turvy) as the pixie Flittle.

A fantasy adventure that picks up several years after Maleficent, in which audiences learned of the events that hardened the heart of Disney’s most notorious villain and drove her to curse a baby Princess Aurora, Maleficent II continues to explore the complex relationship between the horned fairy and the soon-to-be Queen, as they form new alliances and face new adversaries in their struggle to protect the moors and the magical creatures that reside within.
Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/9 ... -confirmed

Source: https://twitter.com/Maleficent/status/1 ... 8098905088
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I actually prefer the roman numeral. It works well with the title, at least for me. Either way, I don't really care for this film or its predecessor so it doesn't bother me what it's called. A subtitle would imply that there is actually a plot to this film.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Re: Maleficent II

Post by Disney Duster »

I like the title too. I think it fits with what the quality of the film will be like. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for it, but that's just because it has magic and remnants of Disney's classic Sleeping Beauty.