Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
veu
Limited Issue

Re: Maleficent: Mistress of Evil

Post by veu »

Why Disney change the release date?
I have a lot of doubts. This year Disney has a rich schedule, next year there's only Mulan (and Jungle Cruise).

Will Disney be able to do a great merchandise about Maleficent 2 (books, dolls, etc)? I'd like to see it and I'd like books based on Maleficent (but also on Aladdin and Dumbo) will be published in Europe and Italy (in Italy Disney hasn't published the first book about Maleficent and I was so sad).

I'm so tired Disney's merchandising is all about Cinderella, Beauty and the Beast, and others 2/3 movies. I hope Disney do not destroy Maleficent.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yay, I'm happy it's coming this year. It's possible they expect it to have poor numbers. Alice Through the Looking Glass is the only sequel they have to go by to the re-makes so far, and it bombed, so... I would be surprised if this did well. Either way, I'll enjoy having more of Angelina Jolie in the role. The subtitle is the best they could've went with.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I, too, preferred "Mistress of All Evil", Sotiris, for your very same reason. I like the poster though.

I bet they are releasing it early for the reasons Sotiris said, but what I don't understand is won't that rush the film and it will be even worse?
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Maybe Disney are worried that the buzz around Aladdin has been kind of laughable, Dumbo has zero hype ... they've moved this up to combat that ?
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Jungle Cruise was originally going to be released this October and then Disney moved the release date to next summer (possibly to avoid competition with Dwayne Johnson's "Jumanji 3" opening two months). I guess Disney really wanted to something to fill their October date.

Looking at what's opening in October, it does appear to be a decent release date as Maleficent 2 doesn't seem to have much competition, aside from The Addams Family. Although, despite the massive success of Maleficent, it's not a movie that's often brought up. There's definitely a chance we could see a repeat of Alice 2 and see a significant drop in attendance. Hard to say until the marketing kicks into high gear.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I think what's different with Maleficent over Alice is the fact that it has industry support from other areas, like Angelina appearing in Vogue / Harpers etc to promote it, along with a MAC colab and everything like that. Alice didn't have that at all, and certainly not for the second one. There were massive makeup tutorials on her look in the film, and how to achieve it. Her nails alone made the coffin nail a trend, with the red underneath a nude colour on top. And people like to watch Angelina movies as well; there was a big outpouring of 'why on earth was Lara Croft rebooted, just get Angelina back!' when the last Tomb Raider movie came out.

This could all be by the by though if the film is just absolutely crap :lol:
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I still really can’t gigure out the poster .... it’s really bugging me now !!! Is it her shoulder in front and her wings behind ? The angles look so perculiar, I just can’t see it ! Probably only me but you never know :lol:
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

This release date move was really surprising. A lot of changes to the schedule this year! I'm glad we won't have to wait much to see it, though I don't expect much from it. The first wasn't too good, but at least was moderately entertaining and I liked Jolie's performance. Also, I know it's an unpopular opinion, but I much prefer these spin offs/"what if" movies to the other more direct remakes.

Atlantica wrote:I still really can’t gigure out the poster .... it’s really bugging me now !!! Is it her shoulder in front and her wings behind ? The angles look so perculiar, I just can’t see it ! Probably only me but you never know :lol:
I'm not too sure either, but I think she has her back towards us, and the shoulder we see is her right shoulder, so the wings are nearer to us than her head at least. Sorry, I don't know how to explain it better, I hope you'll be able to understand me.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

Hmm yeah I see what you mean ! Maybe it's just my eye that isn't connecting to it :lol:
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Completely taken by surprise by this new release date. I am looking forward to this movie, because frankly I'm shocked it exists. The fact that it's coming so soon is very exciting.

I wonder when we'll get the first trailer? We basically have seven months until it premieres. With the poster and new release date announced earlier this week, it wouldn't surprise me if we get something pretty soon. The first teaser for Maleficent was released with Frozen, which was 7 months before it's release the following May. Hmmm...
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Footage description from yesterday's Disney Annual Meeting of Shareholders (spoiler alert):
Not sure why I didn't mention it, but we did see footage for Maleficent Mistress of Evil at the shareholders meeting yesterday. Here's my recollection of what we saw...

It begins with quick sequence of scenes from the first film to review what happened. There's a voiceover describing the story. It picks up with Aurora and Maleficent living in and protecting the moors. Prince Philip returns and he and Aurora are to be married. She and Maleficent are welcomed by Philip's parents.

The queen is welcoming and speaks well of Maleficent and how she has raised Aurora, but she has other plans. At one point she tells Maleficent thx for what you've done, but Aurora is my daughter now. Maleficent as you can imagine does not react well, and we move on to scenes of the Queen saying to kill (destroy?) Maleficent and raising a pretty massive crossbow if I recall.

The voice-over also talks about Aurora and her struggle to adjust to life in the palace away from the moors. There's also a scene at the end while talking about the confict that shows Maleficent leading other fairies like herself. I'm sure there is more that I missed but that's what I remember.
Source: https://twitter.com/Ladewig/status/1104182315360628736

Atlantica wrote:Hmm yeah I see what you mean ! Maybe it's just my eye that isn't connecting to it :lol:
It's a confusing image. It took me a while to understand it too (if I did it and it really is like I think it is).
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I get some vibes from the original fairy tale's second half where the prince's mother is the villain.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

^ That's true! I like that! Though...I don't see why the Queen would feel so much like Aurora is her daughter that she'd want to replace Maleficent as her mother, let alone she'd want to kill Maleficent. Sounds like a stretch. It may turn out to be pretty stupid.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

lord-of-sith wrote:I wonder when we'll get the first trailer? We basically have seven months until it premieres. With the poster and new release date announced earlier this week, it wouldn't surprise me if we get something pretty soon. The first teaser for Maleficent was released with Frozen, which was 7 months before it's release the following May. Hmmm...
We do have Dumbo opening in a few weeks, so I can see Disney attaching the first Maleficent 2 trailer with that one.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Disney Duster wrote:^ That's true! I like that! Though...I don't see why the Queen would feel so much like Aurora is her daughter that she'd want to replace Maleficent as her mother, let alone she'd want to kill Maleficent. Sounds like a stretch. It may turn out to be pretty stupid.
I like that the story seems inspired by the second half of the fairy tale too. I don't think the Queen will come of a race of ogres like in the fairy tale and will want to eat Aurora and her children. It's quite unlikely Aurora will have children in the film too. But I think that, like in the original story, the Queen will also have some evil scheme against her. So I think what she says to Maleficent is just an excuse to make her leave the kingdom so she can't get in the way of her plans.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

It could be that, and I like the Queen having a scheme idea, but if that is her excuse then still her excuse for getting Maleficent away from Aurora would is lame and makes no sense.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Well, I agree on that. I also thought it was a bit stupid when I read it, but this is just a description by someone who saw some footage from the movie, maybe the actual dialogue in the context of the film will make more sense.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

True. Hopefully it does work like you said it might.
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

estefan wrote:We do have Dumbo opening in a few weeks, so I can see Disney attaching the first Maleficent 2 trailer with that one.
That makes a lot of sense. So we can probably expect the first trailer in about two weeks.
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I'm very curious about this sequel, hopefully it might be just a tiny bit better than the first film; but I did like the first film quite a bit.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan