DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 882 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 10:16 pm 
Special Edition

I can't believe how my opinion changed on this show. From thinking it was perhaps unnecessary to crying on the finale. It could have done without some things (the characters on the 'netherworld', for example) and some things were missing (like a duet -- they could have just made Cass sing along with Rapunzel on that new song), but it felt like closure.

I really felt Cass was done for that time and I'm SO GLAD we got to see Eugene and Rapunzel at the end. Wow, I can't believe I saw this begin on cinemas 10 years ago haha feels like a lifetime.

I'll forever be grateful for what this show was and I'm really gonna miss it. It got me through a bit of stuff and, on a personal level, it's only fitting that it ends this week out of all weeks.

Thanks to the crew and cast of Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure for allowing me to step into Corona once more, and thank you at everyone here for making me sorta company while watching it. See you all rapzheads at the live-action Tangled thread rotfl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:15 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

^I'm glad you've enjoyed the show so much and that it has even helped you get through some personal stuff, rodrigo_ca. Like you, I'm also grateful for the show and I'll miss it as well.

I was also thinking that Rapunzel and Eugene are such good examples for children in the series. Eugene being always supportive of her and Rapunzel being always optimistic and determined. And I loved that she kept saying that she would never give up on her friend Cassandra. That's also something people should learn from her.

And, by the way, we haven't talked about the decision to not show the wedding at the end. It was the best way to solve the problem that the new characters are not shown among the attendees in the short. :P And I actually think it was the right decision. We didn't need to see the wedding again, especially after such a special scene as the petition on the boat was. And it would've felt a bit repetitive because they wouldn't have been able to deviate much from what was already established in the short.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I can definitely believe it might've been a deliberate homage. There have been so many references on this show to other Disney movies, but, to me at least, it seems like TLM in particular has been referenced the most often. I think it's very cute.

I think you might be right that it could be an homage. Yes, The Little Mermaid has been referenced a lot in the show. Maybe it's partly because both Alan Menken and Pat Carroll are also part of this series or because Rapunzel has a lot in common with Ariel.

Regarding your idea for a Tangled film trilogy with sequels based on the series, I agree that it's quite unlikely to happen given that something like that has never done before, but I could see them taking elements from the show for a potential live-action sequel/s if they ever remake Tangled into live-action and it's successful enough to warrant it/them.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 6:08 am 
Platinum Edition

I finally got around to watching the finale. It was better than I expected. The final battle with Zhan Tiri and the ending were particularly well-executed. There are a few things that didn't like such as the body-swapping shenanigans that felt out of place tonally given the sense of urgency the finale had and the psychedelic weirdness of the Lost Realm which was too silly for my taste. Other than that, it hit the mark all around.

farerb wrote:
Do you think they'll explain who did Gothel ****?

I wish they had told us who Cassandra's biological father was in an earlier episode, but there was no room in the finale and it would have felt shoehorned had they addressed it there. Still, it was lazy of them to reveal Gothel as Cassandra's mother but not tell us who her father is. Not to mention how strange it felt that no one, including Cass, wondered about who her father might be.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I loved the flashback showing when she was an adult, too, although I kind of wish she’d changed to that form an episode or two back. I thought overall, her three forms fit together neatly as an Unholy Trinity.

I liked her backstory too, although it would have been better if it was revealed in an earlier episode as you said. There's something I didn't understand though. Was Zhan Tiri a human who became an evil spirit after she was trapped in the Lost Realm or was she always a spirit who merely took the form of an old woman to join Lord Demanitus in his search for the moonstone and the sundrop? The flashback left that unclear.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
When she was first transforming, I couldn’t help but be reminded of Ursula bursting out of the wedding gown.

I noticed that too. It must have been an intentional throwback.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Also I want to add how strange it was seeing Rapunzel with long, brown hair. I’m used to long, blonde hair or short, brown hair.

Yes, it needed a little getting used to. I'd love if they released some merch with Rapunzel having long, brown hair though.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I think the only things that disappointed me were: Cassandra and Rapunzel didn’t have a “For Good”-esque duet. I really thought for sure they were going, too. And it would’ve been a nice parallel to their “Defying Gravity”-esque duet in the first episode of the season.

I was disappointing by that as well. The finale needed that song far more than the other two we got. There was even a perfect spot for it when Rapunzel confronted Cassandra. They missed yet another opportunity to have them air their grievances and express their feelings through song instead of dialogue.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
While the series wasn't everything it could have been--the second season was mostly meandering fluff, which I still think might've been due to Disney interfering in some ways--I've enjoyed this much more than I ever thought I would coming into it.

I wasn't that hot about the show in the beginning either, mainly because of the character designs and the low-quality animation, but in the end it was worth it. It expanded on the mythology (even if it was nebulous and contradictory at times), it improved the characterization of pre-existing characters such as Eugene and Rapunzel's parents, it gave us some new, interesting characters like Cassandra and Lance, and of course, some great songs!

WillytheDino wrote:
I loved the instrumental reprise of Wind in My hair in the scene with Rapunzel and her mother on the horses.

I would have preferred an actual reprise of "Wind in My Hair" in that scene over an instrumental one. "Wind in My hair" is such an important song for Rapunzel (it became the series' theme song after all) that I felt it needed repeating now that we had arrived at the end. I really missed it in the finale.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Eugene coming to understand his father's decision, the death and healing incantations.

Those were some of my favorite moments too.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
And, I have to say, and I'm not bashing Gothel for the movie fans, but I think Zhan Tiri is a much better villain than Gothel for me. Aside from Donna Murphy, I didn't really like anything about Gothel.

I never wanted Gothel to be the final villain; in fact I'm glad a fantastical, larger-than-life villain was the big bad. But I wanted her to appear as a spirit for consistency's sake (it doesn't make sense to me that Zhan Tiri's two other followers, Sugracha and Tromus, appeared but not Gothel) and for the potential drama between Rapunzel, Cassandra, and Gothel. I would have loved to see how they'd interact with Gothel and what the power dynamic between them would be.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I couldn't help noticing--and wondering if it was intentional--that there are many similar things about her to past villains (particularly the famous Disney villainesses, but also Genie Jafar) in her designs. The dark transformation has tentacles like Giant Ursula, horns like Dragon Maleficent, the body shape is just like Genie Jafar being big up top and a tiny waist (not to mention the bonds on her hands*). Even the eyes and face remind me a bit of Yzma's transformation--you know, in the first shot when it's nothing but the pink smoke and eyes, before we pan out to see she's just a house cat.

That's an interesting observation. I hadn't noticed any of that. :lol:

Disney's Divinity wrote:
And her older human form we see in the flashback, her nose has the same shape as Yzma's

Her old hag form in general reminded me of Yzma in terms of design.

WillytheDino wrote:
The renaming of the show in the second season to Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure feels fitting, since this show really has a beginning - middle - end. It truly is her adventure.

True. They should have just called it that from the beginning. I hate that the show has two titles. It's inconsistent and confusing.

WillytheDino wrote:
When Cas 'died' and Rapunzel went to get the power from the sun and moonstone, I teared up. Also felt emotional when they made up. I was afraid it would feel rushed when they did, but somehow, it felt normal and good they way they fixed their war.

I was pleasantly surprised by how they handled the whole Cass situation. I thought her redemption would have been rushed and unearned but it was better executed than I had anticipated.

WillytheDino wrote:
There were a lot of parallels between the finale and the Tangled movie, like
- You were my dream, you still are my dream
- Cas dying, Rapunzel crying and 'bringing her back'
- The hug between the main trio was the same with Rapunzel and her parents
- I See The Lights instrumental and the entire scene in the boat

I appreciated all the parallels they put into the finale. It showed they wanted to make it a true extension of the original film that can viewed as a unified whole.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I wonder how long it'll be before the last of the music will be released? I hope they please, please, please include the Decaying Incantation this time! I mean Rapunzel's version, but if they include hers and Tiri's both, that would be even better. :P

I hope so too. I still don't understand why Reverse Incantation wasn't included in the season 2 soundtrack. There's no chance the other two incantations or Zhan Tiri's version will be included since they were spoken and not sung.

D82 wrote:
I was hoping there would be at least one more song than usual too, but I guess given that it was all like a long third act, it wasn't easy to find moments for more musical numbers.

Here are the two new songs and the reprise of "Life After Happily Ever After":
"Through It All"
"I’d Give Anything"
"Life After Happily Ever After Finale"

I didn't really like the new songs. I found "Through It All" an unnecessary and generic 'call to arms' type of anthem and "I'd Give Anything" too sweet and unremarkable. The reprise of "Life After Happily Ever After" was hands down my favorite. It was used brilliantly to bring the show full circle by addressing Rapunzel's initial doubts over her new life and role as royalty. It was also very apt to end the series with a reprise of the very first song.

D82 wrote:
Since I started doing this, I thought I could list all the songs from the series. Please, let me know if I forgot any song and I'll add it

Thanks for compiling all of the songs! Disney asked for people's favorite songs from the series on social media and then made a video with the ones that got the most votes. They also posted the animatic version of "Stronger Than Ever Before". What are your favorite songs from the series?

Glenn Slater said on Twitter that they had to cut a whole verse and chorus from "Crossing the Line" because of time constraints. Unfortunately, the full version was never recorded.

Quote:
Glenn Slater: The version of "Crossing The Line" that aired on Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure is actually just part of what Alan Menken and I wrote — we had to cut a whole verse and chorus because of time constraints. Here's the full version of the main song...

Q: Any chance you can put this version on Season 3's soundtrack like you did with the extended version of "The View from Up Here"?

Glenn Slater: I wish! But we didn't get the chance to record the full version.
Source: https://twitter.com/SlaterLyrics/status ... 5127868416

D82 wrote:
From the new characters, Cassandra is my favorite, but I also like all the other main ones. And I agree that Zhan Tiri is not a bad villain.

She's my favorite of the new characters too, especially her evil form. I find it much more interesting both from a visual standpoint and a narrative one. Eden Espinosa has a great singing voice which made me like her character even more.

farerb wrote:
I like Cassandra and Cassandra's songs. It's a good thing they made her an antagonist cause they were able to write her songs that better utilize Eden Espinosa's vocals. Jeremy Jordan is good as well. I hope they cast both of them in a WDAS musical in the future.

Agreed!

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Am I the only one who sees the title "The Girl Who Has Everything" and thinks of Ariel?

The similarities between Ariel and Rapunzel keep piling up! :lol:

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Anyone else wish that Disney would make a film trilogy of Tangled now that incorporates the series storylines?

I'd rather get a sequel that picks up after the wedding and tells a new story while preserving continuity with the series rather than just having the series rehashed in movie form.

D82 wrote:
And, by the way, we haven't talked about the decision to not show the wedding at the end. It was the best way to solve the problem that the new characters are not shown among the attendees in the short. And I actually think it was the right decision. We didn't need to see the wedding again, especially after such a special scene as the petition on the boat was. And it would've felt a bit repetitive because they wouldn't have been able to deviate much from what was already established in the short.

I liked the ending, but I would have preferred they ended it with the wedding to better connect it with the short (and the scene in the pilot where it's referenced). I wouldn't want them to rehash the short obviously but perhaps show them right after the wedding getting congratulated by their friends and family and everyone having fun at the wedding reception.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:54 am 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
I liked her backstory too, although it would have been better if it was revealed in an earlier episode as you said. There's something I didn't understand though. Was Zhan Tiri a human who became an evil spirit after she was trapped in the Lost Realm or was she always a spirit who merely took the form of an old woman to join Lord Demanitus in his search for the moonstone and the sundrop? The flashback left that unclear.
My impression was that she was simply a woman who was in love with Demanitus and yet also power-obsessed, but he loved Corona more than her and she wanted to destroy it for that reason. It was vague. I don't really see Zhan Tiri as a demon, but as a picture of what Cassandra could become once she really got to the point there was nothing left to lose. I assume the cult that worshiped and tried to resurrect her thought she was a demonic entity though.

I'm happy it helped you, rodrigo_ca! I've always found watching shows that air weekly make things to easier to get through, when you have something to look forward to, but there isn't many TV series I watch these days (animated or otherwise). And this was a bright, hopeful show. Definitely a great show for children. I hope there are a lot of kids that got to grow up with it and love it the way it deserves, too.

The Weather Girls ~ "It's Raining Men"
Christina Aguilera ~ "Beautiful"
LeAnn Rimes ~ "Love Is Love Is Love"
Gloria Gaynor ~ "I Am What I Am"

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:51 pm 
Platinum Edition

A Varian spin-off series was pitched but wasn't picked up.

Kaitlyn Ritter wrote:
I’ll post some Tangled finale boards in the future along with some work from a Varian spinoff pitch Anna Lencioni and I collaborated on (but that sadly is not moving forward.)
Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/B9M5mIYjSrn/

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 1:55 pm 
Platinum Edition

Aw. I was looking up pictures of Zhan Tiri the day of the final episodes and I noticed a lot of Varian and Cass fanart...

Well, I'm not really surprised, although it makes me sad it didn't happen. Like I've said, it's been obvious Disney doesn't have any confidence in this show by putting it on one day a week, cutting the number of episodes, and then never re-running it. :( I suppose if there had been a spin-off, perhaps Cassandra and Varian would've become love interests there.

I had another idea just now of something they could've done in the finale (although I'm not complaining) aside from the Cass-Rapunzel duet. That final scene in the boat could've had a brief reprise of "I See the Light"! Oh, and if they do make a live-action re-make of Tangled, perhaps we might actually get that big pop ballad version of "I See the Light" we were denied? Hope springs eternal. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 2:24 pm 
Platinum Edition

Disney's Divinity wrote:
That final scene in the boat could've had a brief reprise of "I See the Light"!

That's right! :shock: Somehow that possibility never occurred to me. It would have been perfect! Now I'm disappointed. :( :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 3:06 pm 
Limited Edition

Cass should have been dead after the kingdom got nuked when the sun stone/moon exploded.

Looks like Rapunzel is beggint to be rapped cause she doesn't wear white junk under her dresses anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:09 pm 
Limited Edition

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
That final scene in the boat could've had a brief reprise of "I See the Light"!

That's right! :shock: Somehow that possibility never occurred to me. It would have been perfect! Now I'm disappointed. :( :lol:

I always felt like the film should have ended that way.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2020 4:09 pm 
Limited Edition

bradhig wrote:
Looks like Rapunzel is beggint to be rapped cause she doesn't wear white junk under her dresses anymore.

WTF?!?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:39 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:
I never wanted Gothel to be the final villain; in fact I'm glad a fantastical, larger-than-life villain was the big bad. But I wanted her to appear as a spirit for consistency's sake (it doesn't make sense to me that Zhan Tiri's two other followers, Sugracha and Tromus, appeared but not Gothel) and for the potential drama between Rapunzel, Cassandra, and Gothel. I would have loved to see how they'd interact with Gothel and what the power dynamic between them would be.

That's also why I expected Gothel to appear at first; because Zhan Tiri's other followers had appeared.

Sotiris wrote:
I hate that the show has two titles. It's inconsistent and confusing.

Me too. The new title may be better, but, I'd rather they hadn't changed it for consistency's sake.

Sotiris wrote:
I didn't really like the new songs. I found "Through It All" an unnecessary and generic 'call to arms' type of anthem and "I'd Give Anything" too sweet and unremarkable. The reprise of "Life After Happily Ever After" was hands down my favorite. It was used brilliantly to bring the show full circle by addressing Rapunzel's initial doubts over her new life and role as royalty. It was also very apt to end the series with a reprise of the very first song.

I agree that the reprise of "Life After Happily Ever After" was a great choice for the ending. As for the new songs, I was hoping they would save the best for last, but I agree that it wasn't the case. I personally think "Through It All" is a pleasant little song, but I agree that it's not too memorable. However, though it's short and rather simple, I do like "I'd Give Anything". I find it quite beautiful and sincere.

Sotiris wrote:
Disney asked for people's favorite songs from the series on social media and then made a video with the ones that got the most votes. They also posted the animatic version of "Stronger Than Ever Before". What are your favorite songs from the series?

Thanks for the links. I wouldn't have chosen some of the songs in that ranking, but I think it's not a bad selection of songs. I had planned to share my rankings for this season and for the entire show, but I wanted to listen to the new songs a bit more first. However, now I think I have it. Like Disney's Divinity, I hadn't listened to the songs from the third season much on its own, mainly because I wasn't too impressed with most of them when I first heard them, but some have really grown on me lately after listening to them more. Well, these are my rankings:

Season 3
1. Nothing Left to Lose
2. The Girl Who Has Everything
3. Stronger Than Ever Before
4. Crossing the Line
5. I'd Give Anything
6. Bigger than That
7. Through It All

All songs (top 10)
1. Let Me Make You Proud
2. Wind in My Hair
3. Set Yourself Free
4. Waiting in the Wings
5. Nothing Left to Lose
6. Next Stop Anywhere
7. Life After Happily Ever After
8. The Girl Who Has Everything
9. If I Could Take This Moment Back
10. Stronger Than Ever Before

I don't think "Let Me Make You Proud" is the best song though because its lyrics are not that good, but I love the melody. The song with my favorite lyrics, or at least my favorite message, I think is "Set Yourself Free".

Sotiris wrote:
Glenn Slater said on Twitter that they had to cut a whole verse and chorus from "Crossing the Line" because of time constraints. Unfortunately, the full version was never recorded.

What a shame they didn't record that version! I actually thought it was strange it wasn't a bit longer, it doesn't seem complete enough. I think I would've ranked it a bit higher if not for that because I quite like the song.

Sotiris wrote:
I'd rather get a sequel that picks up after the wedding and tells a new story while preserving continuity with the series rather than just having the series rehashed in movie form.

I would prefer that too.

Sotiris wrote:
I liked the ending, but I would have preferred they ended it with the wedding to better connect it with the short (and the scene in the pilot where it's referenced). I wouldn't want them to rehash the short obviously but perhaps show them right after the wedding getting congratulated by their friends and family and everyone having fun at the wedding reception.

Well, it's true, they could've shown another moment of the wedding that wasn't featured in the short. I think I liked how it ended partly because it wasn't what we were expecting. I wouldn't have minded seeing some images from the wedding, but I think it was more perfect as it was.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 2:40 am 
Platinum Edition

I noticed the music's official audio was uploaded to YouTube, so I checked, and it's available to buy on Amazon now, too. :pink: Unfortunately, they didn't include the Reverse Incantation. /sigh

Season 3
1. Nothing Left to Lose
2. Life After Happily Ever After (Finale Reprise)
3. Waiting in the Wings (Reprise) ~ This is so pretty. I actually really prefer this to the first version. It kind of informs the lyrics of the original, too... Plus, Espinosa verges on shrieky in the original version of the song.
4. Crossing the Line ~ The second half when Cass is singing mostly by herself isn't as good as that first half with them singing together. I love the first half of the song.
5. Through It All
6. The Girl Who Has Everything
7. The Girl Who Has Everything (reprise)
8. I'd Give Anything
9. Bigger than That

All songs:
1. Nothing Left to Lose
2. Set Yourself Free
3. Let Me Make You Proud
4. With You by My Side
5. More of Me
6. Life After Happily Ever After (Finale Reprise)
7. Waiting in the Wings (Reprise)
8. I've Got This
9. Crossing the Line
10. The View From Up Here
11. Wind in My Hair
12. Waiting in the Wings
13. Next Stop Anywhere
14. The Girl Who Has Everything & reprise
15. Life After Happily Ever After
16. Through It All
17. Ready As I'll Ever Be
18. Listen Up
19. Buddy Song
20. Everything I Ever Thought I Knew

The reprises that were mostly the same as the first versions, I just included together on the list instead of separating them. You know, even if I included the film songs, I don't think this list would change too much. :lol:

D82 wrote:
Sotiris wrote:

I would prefer that too.
For me, it's more about having Cass, Varian, Flynn's backstory, and Tiri in the film universe officially. TV series are always sort of lesser canon. I would like it only so I could officially put Tiri alongside other Disney villains. I know it's not going to happen though.

As for the title, I agree, I wish it hadn't changed. I think that's more because the ratings for the series weren't as good as Disney hoped in the first season. They probably added Rapunzel to the title to maybe help kids identify what the show was... I would love if the original film is eventually re-branded 10-20 years from now into Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure or simply Rapunzel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:29 am 
Platinum Edition

D82 wrote:
Me too. The new title may be better, but, I'd rather they hadn't changed it for consistency's sake.

Even Glenn Slater poked fun at the show's multiple names. I wish they had used the title "Tangled Before Ever After" for the entire series instead for just the pilot. It would have fit much better with the rest of the franchise:

Tangled
Tangled Before Ever After
Tangled Ever After

D82 wrote:
Well, these are my rankings:

All songs (top 10)
1. Let Me Make You Proud
2. Wind in My Hair
3. Set Yourself Free
4. Waiting in the Wings
5. Nothing Left to Lose
6. Next Stop Anywhere
7. Life After Happily Ever After
8. The Girl Who Has Everything
9. If I Could Take This Moment Back

Here's my ranking. It turned out to be more difficult than I thought. I haven't included any of the reprises.

01. Wind in My Hair
02. Crossing the Line
03. Set Yourself Free
04. Waiting in the Wings
05. Next Stop Anywhere
06. Nothing Left to Lose
07. Life After Happily Ever After
08. Ready As I'll Ever Be
09. The Girl Who Has Everything
10. Let Me Make You Proud
11. The View from Up Here
12. With You by My Side
13. I've Got This
14. More of Me
15. Listen Up
16. Stronger Than Ever Before
17. I'd Give Anything
18. Everything I Ever Thought I Knew
19. Friendship Song
20. Bigger Than That
21. If I Could Take This Moment Back
22. Through It All
23. Buddy Song
24. Livin' the Dream
25. Hook Foot's Ballad

D82 wrote:
I think I liked how it ended partly because it wasn't what we were expecting. I wouldn't have minded seeing some images from the wedding, but I think it was more perfect as it was.

Had they included a reprise of "I See the Light" in the existing ending, I would have preferred it over a wedding ending.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I noticed the music's official audio was uploaded to YouTube, so I checked, and it's available to buy on Amazon now, too. Unfortunately, they didn't include the Reverse Incantation. /sigh

Thanks for the heads up! It's disappointing that Reverse Incantation wasn't included, but I expected it considering it was absent from the season 2 soundtrack. It must be a rights issue of some kind. Healing Incantation sung by toddler Rapunzel was not included either. That can't be a coincidence.

Here's the soundtrack cover.

Source: https://disneymusic.co/TangledAdventureS3

Disney's Divinity wrote:
As for the title, I agree, I wish it hadn't changed. I think that's more because the ratings for the series weren't as good as Disney hoped in the first season. They probably added Rapunzel to the title to maybe help kids identify what the show was...

Yes, the showrunner admitted it was a decision made by the marketing to boost awareness. Disney Channel has done the same to other animated series too. Miles from Tomorrowland was renamed to Mission Force One in its third season and Mickey and the Roadster Racers was renamed to Mickey Mouse: Mixed Up-Adventures in its third season as well. It's a stupid gimmick and I doubt whether it even works.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 10:27 am 
Platinum Edition

The showrunner, Chris Sonnenburg, shared videos from the recording sessions of Waiting in the Wings, With You by My Side, Everything I Ever Thought I Knew, Waiting in the Wings (Reprise), Nothing Left to Lose, and Life After Happily Ever After (Finale). He also posted a couple of illustrations that were used in his pitch for the show.

Chris Sonnenburg wrote:
Here is one of the most amazing images that we used to pitch Tangled: The Series to the execs at the Channel. Drawn by Shiyoon Kim and painted by Craig Elliott. It has EVERYTHING I wanted to do in the show. Epic, RIGHT?! I’d but it!!
Source: https://twitter.com/BigPants/status/1235788039512674304

Chris Sonnenburg wrote:
The first image of Cass grabbing the moonstone created by Shiyoon Kim almost FIVE YEARS AGO. Knowing the direction of a narrative in advance makes it much easier to navigate emotional growth and gives you the confidence that you are telling the right story.
Source: https://twitter.com/BigPants/status/1118636359244107776

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 1:43 pm 
Platinum Edition

I love that first picture (the one in color). I love that it has Eugene's father behind him in the same position opposite Rapunzel's parents, and the two kingdoms paralleling one another with the sun and moon behind each. I just hate that this series and its plots of a moondrop opposite the sundrop, Rapunzel having a "sister," and making Eugene a prince will be forgotten over time. :( It'll always color my perception of the Tangled property though, and for the better.

That storyboard of Cassandra's surprise possession of the moonstone is epic. I love that they had the plot of the show known before-hand and that the show didn't get cancelled before they could finish telling it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:39 pm 
Gold Collection

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I couldn't help noticing--and wondering if it was intentional--that there are many similar things about her to past villains (particularly the famous Disney villainesses, but also Genie Jafar) in her designs. The dark transformation has tentacles like Giant Ursula, horns like Dragon Maleficent, the body shape is just like Genie Jafar being big up top and a tiny waist (not to mention the bonds on her hands*). Even the eyes and face remind me a bit of Yzma's transformation--you know, in the first shot when it's nothing but the pink smoke and eyes, before we pan out to see she's just a house cat. :lol: And her older human form we see in the flashback, her nose has the same shape as Yzma's and something about the regal vibe to her design reminds me of Lady Tremaine. It escaped me if there's something similar to the Evil Queen or the Queen of Hearts; maybe someone else would've noticed something...

Not to mention the overall design parallels of her demon form to Chernabog...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:43 pm 
Limited Edition

farerb wrote:
bradhig wrote:

WTF?!?

no white petticoat anymore just her dress.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2020 6:49 pm 
Gold Collection

Honestly, I'm really hoping this show gets a complete series dvd/bluray release. This is one of the best shows ever made by Disney Television Animation: gorgeous art style, fantastic songs, deep explored lore, and just overall a worthy sequel to a great Disney movie.

It does feel like a natural evolution of the Disney princess shows that came before. It has the songs and charm of The Little Mermaid: The Series and the comedy and adventure element of Aladdin: The Series; but no longer bound by outdated rules of "no continuous story. every episode must be a new story so audience doesn't get confused" so its able to tell long story arcs with plenty of character growth.

I cannot gush enough about how much I loved this whole show. Just seeing Rapunzel in-show grow as a character from "i'm bothered by this one old dude booing me" to "I'm going to stand tall and defend my home from this giant ancient demon of evil" is extremely rewarding.

10/10. A magnificent show that i'm confident future generations will revisit and enjoy.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:57 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I noticed the music's official audio was uploaded to YouTube, so I checked, and it's available to buy on Amazon now, too. :pink: Unfortunately, they didn't include the Reverse Incantation. /sigh

Thanks for letting us know! Here's also the Spotify link: https://open.spotify.com/album/7y9MPw7xXw4FYZJFZDZVeP

And thanks for the behind-the-scenes videos and the concept art, Sotiris!

Disney's Divinity wrote:
4. Crossing the Line ~ The second half when Cass is singing mostly by herself isn't as good as that first half with them singing together. I love the first half of the song.

I agree, I also find the first half much better than the second. Maybe it was better in the extended version the composers initially created.

Sotiris wrote:
I wish they had used the title "Tangled Before Ever After" for the entire series instead for just the pilot. It would have fit much better with the rest of the franchise:

Tangled
Tangled Before Ever After
Tangled Ever After

I guess they chose Tangled: The Series at first because it's simpler and easy to remember. I personally don't mind it, but I agree that "Tangled Before Ever After" it's a better title. And you're right; it fits really well with the rest of the franchise.

Sotiris wrote:
Here's my ranking. It turned out to be more difficult than I thought. I haven't included any of the reprises.

I also found it quite difficult, and I only ranked my top 10! :lol: By the way, I forgot to say in my post that I also excluded the reprises.

Sotiris wrote:
Had they included a reprise of "I See the Light" in the existing ending, I would have preferred it over a wedding ending.

That would've been a nice touch. Though maybe the lyrics should've been changed a bit, because they're not in the same situation in their lives as they were then.

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
As for the title, I agree, I wish it hadn't changed. I think that's more because the ratings for the series weren't as good as Disney hoped in the first season. They probably added Rapunzel to the title to maybe help kids identify what the show was...

Yes, the showrunner admitted it was a decision made by the marketing to boost awareness. Disney Channel has done the same to other animated series too. Miles from Tomorrowland was renamed to Mission Force One in its third season and Mickey and the Roadster Racers was renamed to Mickey Mouse: Mixed Up-Adventures in its third season as well. It's a stupid gimmick and I doubt whether it even works.

Yeah, there must be other ways to boost awareness that are probably also more effective.

Last edited by D82 on Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:08 am 
Limited Edition

bradhig wrote:
farerb wrote:
bradhig wrote:

WTF?!?

no white petticoat anymore just her dress.

That's not what I meant. You shouldn't blame a woman for getting raped. No matter what way she chooses to dress.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 882 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45  Next