DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 12:59 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 860
I watched a few scenes on YouTube and for some reason the characters and their dynamic reminds me of the OUAT characters Emma, Regina and Hook. Is that a coincidence?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 1:25 pm 
Offline
Collector's Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 19, 2018 4:09 pm
Posts: 860
What's up with the creepy girl?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:32 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 2955
Location: Spain
Here's "Bigger Than That", the song from the latest episode: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRTdCIeuyN4


farerb wrote:
What's up with the creepy girl?

She's still a mystery. I think she either works for Zhan Tiri, the series' main villain, or is Zhan Tiri herself in disguise.

WillytheDino wrote:
I saw the episode with the king and queen and it didn't feel like it was supposed to be an episode after the first episode so I'm not sure if the episodes are being shown out of order. However, the production codes of the episodes have not been released yet, so we cannot know for sure (yet).

Maybe you're right. Perhaps they just thought the audience would assume the king and queen haven't regained their memory yet and no explanation was needed as to why Rapunzel was ruling the kingdom in the previous episodes. But we'll know for sure when the production codes are released, as you say.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:31 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 14116
D82 wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
The premiere was really good. I loved the “Waiting in the Wings” lullaby at the beginning and the song at the end. The duet between Cassandra and Rapunzel was, well… It was nice, but I couldn’t help thinking this is a poor man’s “Defying Gravity.”

I also preferred the "Waiting in the Wings" reprise and the song at the end to the duet between Cassandra and Rapunzel.

While I see the similarity to "Defying Gravity" conceptually-speaking, I find they differ greatly in terms of melody and sound. Personally, I loved "Crossing the Line" but didn't care much for "Stronger Than Ever Before".

D82 wrote:
The episode wasn't bad. I liked that there were conclusions to some things (like the feud between Rapunzel and Varian or the subplot of Varian and his father), and that they explained the reason behind Cassandra's betrayal, of course. I actually didn't expect Varian would be redeemed so early.

I agree that Varian was redeemed way too easily. They should have stretched out his redemption arc for 3-4 episodes to make it feel more organic and believable. I hope Varian getting redeemed means Cassandra won't be. It's too much to have two of Rapunzel's friends-turned-foes redeemed and forgiven at the end. There need to be creative decisions that stick and are not simply undone to give everyone an easy happily ever after. Otherwise, there are no real stakes and this whole endeavor becomes inconsequential.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I wonder if his name is spelled Horace or Horus? Most likely the former, but the latter would be interesting.

I hate that he was given a third name. Couldn't his given name been Eugene, especially since the name's meaning alludes to his royal lineage? They should have at least told us his real surname to go with it. Just Horace doesn't cut it.

WillytheDino wrote:
Did anyone notice the cameo of the painting 'the Swing' in the fifth episode? I thought it was a nice little touch, since Tangled is based on that painting.

I hadn't noticed that. Thanks for pointing it out.

D82 wrote:
I've just remembered that the Stabbington brothers appear at Rapunzel and Eugene's wedding, maybe that's why they've decided to redeem them.

I hope they give us an explanation as to why their friends like Lance and Varian or family members like Eugene's dad didn't attend their wedding.

D82 wrote:
And speaking of the wedding, here's a detail they included in Return of the King to tie it in with Tangled Ever After.

I love that they did that! Details like that which tie in to the movie or short shows that they care and provide the franchise with a better sense of continuity, consistency, and cohesion.

D82 wrote:
She's still a mystery. I think she either works for Zhan Tiri, the series' main villain, or is Zhan Tiri herself in disguise.

Could she be the spirit of Gothel in disguise? The way she manipulates Cassandra reminds me of her. In any case, they need to tell us who Cassandra's biological father is. They can't drop a bomb like Gother being Cassandra's mother but not show us who her father is or how the two got together.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:56 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:33 am
Posts: 5366
Location: UK
Sotiris, the creators have said there will be specific reasons as to why some of the series cast aren't at the wedding, and some are there, just that the camera doesn't pan over them :)

The creators also played very coy as to what the finale will actually show, and if the wedding will be part of it. They said they didn't want to 'do over' what was already done before, so that to me says we won't get a 2D redo of the wedding. Which is a bit of a shame, but I get why.

I loved this first part of the season bomb, the dynamic between Rapunzel & Eugene is incredible. The way he gives her space and time to grieve over her loss of Cassandra, and then how he is absolutely there for her when she needs him . . . beautiful writing. In 'Beginnings' I thought this was particularly poignant, when she is up in her reading nook and he comes to her.

If you want to have a huge in depth look at the series, please do listen to the Tanlged Talks Podcast; they regularly have guests on that are involved in the show from storyboard artists to directors to writers. Really worth a listen if you are a fan of the show :)

I hope the hiatus isn't too long either...though I also don't want it to be over, as this is the last time we will properly get anything new ever from Tangled :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 6:19 am 
Offline
Special Edition
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:54 am
Posts: 238
Location: Belgium
Sotiris wrote:

D82 wrote:
I've just remembered that the Stabbington brothers appear at Rapunzel and Eugene's wedding, maybe that's why they've decided to redeem them.

I hope they give us an explanation as to why their friends like Lance and Varian or family members like Eugene's dad didn't attend their wedding.


I rewatched Tangled Ever After and I can find peace with the fact that their friends are in the wider audience and the camera just pans over them.

Sotiris wrote:

D82 wrote:
The episode wasn't bad. I liked that there were conclusions to some things (like the feud between Rapunzel and Varian or the subplot of Varian and his father), and that they explained the reason behind Cassandra's betrayal, of course. I actually didn't expect Varian would be redeemed so early.

I agree that Varian was redeemed way too easily. They should have stretched out his redemption arc for 3-4 episodes to make it feel more organic and believable. I hope Varian getting redeemed means Cassandra won't be. It's too much to have two of Rapunzel's friends-turned-foes redeemed and forgiven at the end. There need to be creative decisions that stick and are not simply undone to give everyone an easy happily ever after. Otherwise, there are no real stakes and this whole endeavor becomes inconsequential.



I agree, however, in the last episode we saw Varian still hasn't forgiven himself for what he did, because one of his biggest fears is the people that still see him as the bad guy.

_________________
'All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.' - Walt Disney


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 7:33 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 14116
Atlantica wrote:
The creators also played very coy as to what the finale will actually show, and if the wedding will be part of it. They said they didn't want to 'do over' what was already done before, so that to me says we won't get a 2D redo of the wedding. Which is a bit of a shame, but I get why.

I'd like them to show us what happened after the wedding. An epilogue set a few months or years later would be nice.

Atlantica wrote:
If you want to have a huge in depth look at the series, please do listen to the Tanlged Talks Podcast; they regularly have guests on that are involved in the show from storyboard artists to directors to writers. Really worth a listen if you are a fan of the show.

I didn't know there was a podcast. Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check it out.

Atlantica wrote:
I hope the hiatus isn't too long either...though I also don't want it to be over, as this is the last time we will properly get anything new ever from Tangled :cry:

It's not going to happen but the series totally whetted my appetite for a theatrical sequel! :lol: I think it could really work now that the show really opened up the world and the mythology.

WillytheDino wrote:
I rewatched Tangled Ever After and I can find peace with the fact that their friends are in the wider audience and the camera just pans over them.

I can suspend my disbelief enough for that but I'd still like some explanation for a couple of people who'd really stand out like Lance or King Edmund or Cassandra (if she's redeemed). Have the series tell us they had to travel or something and couldn't make it to the wedding.

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:51 pm 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 17, 2005 12:26 pm
Posts: 11238
Sotiris wrote:
I agree that Varian was redeemed way too easily. They should have stretched out his redemption arc for 3-4 episodes to make it feel more organic and believable. I hope Varian getting redeemed means Cassandra won't be. It's too much to have two of Rapunzel's friends-turned-foes redeemed and forgiven at the end. There need to be creative decisions that stick and are not simply undone to give everyone an easy happily ever after. Otherwise, there are no real stakes and this whole endeavor becomes inconsequential.
Cassandra's going to be redeemed for sure. I still believe she and Varian are going to be an endgame couple. Their designs--and arcs--are very similar. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a role in bringing her back to the good side, using his own experience.

_________________
Image
Listening to most often lately:
TLM ~ "Part of Your World" & Reprise & Choral Ending
TLM ~ "Intro Ursula" / "Poor Unfortunate Souls" / "Ursula's Defeat"
TLM ~ "Under the Sea"


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:00 am 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 2955
Location: Spain
Sotiris wrote:
Could she be the spirit of Gothel in disguise? The way she manipulates Cassandra reminds me of her.

I had also thought of that possibility, but I guessed it was unlikely that they would bring Gothel back. However, now that you mention it, it's true that the mysterious girl is very manipulative like her, and the fact that she's like a ghost could be because she's her spirit. We also know Gothel is most likely one of Zhan Tiri's followers from that silhouette they showed that looked like her, so it would make sense she was in that magical inn. Plus, why would they keep the girl's identity a secret if she wasn't someone important like Gothel? Maybe she needs Cassandra to have all the power of the moonstone so she can bring her back from the dead.

Sotiris wrote:
In any case, they need to tell us who Cassandra's biological father is. They can't drop a bomb like Gother being Cassandra's mother but not show us who her father is or how the two got together.

I agree, I hope they give us an explanation for that.

WillytheDino wrote:
I rewatched Tangled Ever After and I can find peace with the fact that their friends are in the wider audience and the camera just pans over them.

I also rewatched the short the other day to check if the Stabbington brothers were in it and I noticed that too. I think they can add the new characters to the wedding without creating a retcon.

WillytheDino wrote:
I agree, however, in the last episode we saw Varian still hasn't forgiven himself for what he did, because one of his biggest fears is the people that still see him as the bad guy.

Yes, that's true. I liked that, it makes up a bit for redeeming him too easily.

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Cassandra's going to be redeemed for sure. I still believe she and Varian are going to be an endgame couple. Their designs--and arcs--are very similar. I wouldn't be surprised if he plays a role in bringing her back to the good side, using his own experience.

That would be nice. I also think she's definitely going to be redeemed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:09 am 
Offline
Platinum Edition
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 am
Posts: 14116
Disney's Divinity wrote:
I still believe she and Varian are going to be an endgame couple. Their designs--and arcs--are very similar.

I hope not. They don't have any chemistry together and he's way too young for her.

D82 wrote:
I had also thought of that possibility, but I guessed it was unlikely that they would bring Gothel back. However, now that you mention it, it's true that the mysterious girl is very manipulative like her, and the fact that she's like a ghost could be because she's her spirit. We also know Gothel is most likely one of Zhan Tiri's followers from that silhouette they showed that looked like her, so it would make sense she was in that magical inn. Plus, why would they keep the girl's identity a secret if she wasn't someone important like Gothel? Maybe she needs Cassandra to have all the power of the moonstone so she can bring her back from the dead.

That scenario would be ideal. If the girl turns out to be a random villainous spirit or Zhan Tiri or even the embodiment of the moonstone, none of these reveals would be satisfying enough or have a personal connection to Cassandra. Ruthless Ruth set a precedent of ghosts mingling with the living so that shouldn't be an issue. Gothel knows that Cass wouldn't agree to help revive her after learning she abandoned her hence the disguise. Of course, Gothel's plans to resurrect herself would ultimately be thwarted at the last minute. I hope this theory isn't too good to be true! :lol:

_________________
ImageImageImageImageImage


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Tangled: The Series
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:36 pm 
Offline
Walt Disney Treasure

Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:07 pm
Posts: 2955
Location: Spain
Sotiris wrote:
I hope this theory isn't too good to be true! :lol:

:lol: I hope that too. It would be interesting if the girl turned out to be Gothel.

Sotiris wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:
I still believe she and Varian are going to be an endgame couple. Their designs--and arcs--are very similar.

I hope not. They don't have any chemistry together and he's way too young for her.

I want to clarify that what I thought would be nice is that Varian played a role in bringing Cass back to the good side, not them ending as a couple. I also think he's too young for her.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 711 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: MSN [Bot] and 38 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group