Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Tangled TV Series in 2017

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyphilip wrote:Really.
Could you elaborate on that?

I'll admit the "Aladdin" show was inferior to the movie. Frankly, I thought the show was darker and sometimes lacked the wit and playfulness of the movie. Is not that I detest the show, some episodes were fine. But overall I thought the show was dark and quite bleak, actually. I'm not sure how to compare the "Mermaid" show to the movie, but I thought the show was darker. But overall I like "Mermaid" show better than "Aladdin" and thought it was more endearing and enchanting. I haven't seen the "Hercules" show to judge. "The Emperor's New School" is cute, though. The "Tarzan" show is equal to it's movie counterpart. "Timon and Pumbaa" was a mixed bag, though. Some episodes were cute and fun, yet it could be grating at times.

"Lilo & Stitch" is a show that was better than the movie, mostly because it expanded the universe and the dynamics between the characters. It was cute and fun.
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

bruno_wbt wrote:Rapunzel has already appeared on Disney Junior in Sofia The First, so maybe she will look like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_v_PwAa2_8
I love this design, i think that Disney is making something similar. The only problem is the story i can't imagine stories where Rapunzel has long hair and she is not in her tower. She only has been one day out of her tower and in one day you can't do so many things
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

This should be interesting. Tangled is one of my favorites, so I'm glad they're doing this.
Miss Manday
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Miss Manday »

I'm super excited for this! Movie spin-offs are win in my book. And it will be fun to see the continuing adventures of Rapunzel and Flynn!
admin of Mouse Ears // find me on Moviepilot!
Image Image Image
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

Miss Manday wrote:I'm super excited for this! Movie spin-offs are win in my book. And it will be fun to see the continuing adventures of Rapunzel and Flynn!
I think that Pascal will be more popular in this tv series than Rapunzel and Flynn hahaha
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Offically announced!
This is a very awesome surprise, even to us: in 2017 a new animated series based on Disney’s phenomenally popular animated film Tangled will debut on the Disney Channel in 2017. Get your frying pans and flying lanterns and smart aleck-y chameleons ready.

Now, animated series based on Disney animated films aren’t exactly a new phenomenon, with everything from Hercules to 101 Dalmatians getting turned into episodic television. The biggest feature-to-television-series conversion was the syndicated Aladdin TV series, which ran for 86 episodes and included three additional movies. Most recently Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs got the small screen spin-off treatment with The 7D and starting this fall The Lion Guard, which focuses on Simba’s son, will make its official rollout, first as a television movie in November and then at the beginning of next year as a TV series (both will air on Disney Junior).

But what makes the Tangled series so special is the amount of talent that they’ve retained from the original feature film. This new series will feature Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi reprising their roles of Rapunzel and Flynn Rider (nee Eugene) from the movie and showcase new songs from Academy Award-winning composer Alan Menken and lyricist Glenn Slater, who were responsible for all of those catchy tunes in the original film. Clare Keane, daughter of Disney Legend Glen Keane (who at one point was the director on a very different version of the film and who later served as an animation supervisor), consulted on the film. They’re really getting the band back together. This is roughly the equivalent of snagging Robin Williams for the Aladdin television series.

Additional characters from the feature that will make the leap to episodic television include Rapunzel’s chameleon sidekick Pascal, the uppity horse Maximus, the thugs from the Snuggly Duckling Pub and a brand new character: Cassandra, described as “a tough-as-nails handmaiden, who becomes Rapunzel’s confidant.” We’re sold.

In terms of timing, the series takes place in between the events of the feature film and the start of the utterly charming 2012 short film Tangled Ever After. Apparently there were a lot of adventures that Rapunzel and Eugene got into in the time in-between. We don’t have any details on what the animation style will be but based on the promotional artwork, Tangled fans will be very, very happy.
http://blogs.disney.com/insider/2015/06 ... ocialmedia
jazzflower92
Anniversary Edition

Post by jazzflower92 »

In other words, this is Aladdin the animated series 2.0.

I wonder if this will somehow convince them to also do a Big Hero 6 television series as well. Even better make a television show based on the Sugar Rush game.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I'm not usually into any of the Disney TV shows, especially the ones based on the films, but I'm actually kind of intrigued about this one. It definitely helps that Moore/Levi and Menken/Slater are back, plus I'm just really fond of the characters from Tangled. Plus they've got Claire Keane as a consultant.

Hopefully it's not CGI though, as I've yet to see a CGI TV show that looks good... Hopefully it's a limited series with a higher budget than their usual shows. That would really make this feel special.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Does that mean that Rapunzel will have short hair? :o :?

I hope they find some excuse to keep the long blonde hair…
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

bruno_wbt wrote:Does that mean that Rapunzel will have short hair? :o :?

I hope they find some excuse to keep the long blonde hair…
I hope they don't. Making it long and blonde again would send some kind of message that she's worthless with short hair. Just another sexist excuse to sell more dolls.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

The long hair is back. They released an official promo image.

And you're insane if you think it sends any kind of message like that. The show takes place between the events of the movie and the short. They wouldn't do a whole series about Rapunzel without her signature hair. Its common sense. It would be like doing a mermaid series without Ariel as a mermaid.
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

Kyle wrote: It would be like doing a mermaid series without Ariel as a mermaid.
Exactly! Or a Beauty and the Beast series without the Beast being a beast.

Kids are not interested in Rapunzel with short hair. The reason why Rapunzel is one of the most popular Disney Princesses is because she has the longest hair.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

But having her have long blonde hair doesn't make any sense. According to the press release, the story takes place after the end of the movie but before the short film. Even if they did find some flimsy excuse to have her blonde hair grow back, how are they going to maintain continuity since in Tangled Ever After she had short brown hair? Will they have her cut her hair again at the end of the last episode?

And wasn't this supposedly the reason the movie didn't get a sequel? Roy Conli had told the executives who were pushing for a sequel: "You know, she cut her hair. It’s over!"
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
bruno_wbt
Anniversary Edition

Post by bruno_wbt »

I always thought that cutting Rapunzel’s hair at the end of the movie is like when King Stefan cut Maleficent’s wings. It’s taking away what makes them special and powerful.

To me, it would be like if someone took Elsa's ice powers away from her.
Mickeyfan1990
Collector's Edition

Post by Mickeyfan1990 »

You had me at "Mandy Moore and Zachary Levi to Reprise their Roles". Now, it just got better. :)
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Sotiris wrote:But having her have long blonde doesn't make any sense. According to the press release, the story takes place after the end of the movie but before the short film. Even if they did find some flimsy excuse to have her blonde hair grow back, how are they going to maintain continuity since in Tangled Ever After she had short brown hair? Will they have her cut her hair again at the end of the last episode? And wasn't this supposedly the reason the movie didn't get a sequel? Roy Conli had told the executives who were pushing for a sequel: "You know, she cut her hair. It’s over!"
I agree that it wouldn't make any sense. And the promo image is simply a promo image, and a very early one at that. It would be great if they are going for this visual style from that image, but I don't think it necessarily means they will. (But fingers crossed for that or something similar.) I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow go with the long hair (since, as mentioned, it is the character's signature), but it's also possible they will stick with the short hair.

Honestly, though, since I wound't necessarily view this as canon, I wouldn't mind if they just maintained loose continuity, and made it a sequel to the film but kept her long hair with no excuse or explanation. (It would be better than having some sort of contrived excuse.)

Also kinda hoping they keep the king and queen as non-speaking characters, though I'm not sure I see that happening. (Though they already kinda ruined that by having the queen talk (scream?) in Tangled Ever After, though I understand that was more of an "imaginary" sequence.)
Thumper_93
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Thumper_93 »

i love the design! they look very cute!
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Kyle wrote:The long hair is back. They released an official promo image.

And you're insane if you think it sends any kind of message like that. The show takes place between the events of the movie and the short. They wouldn't do a whole series about Rapunzel without her signature hair. Its common sense. It would be like doing a mermaid series without Ariel as a mermaid.
I don't like that style, to be honest. I find it too juvenile and awkward.
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

Miss Manday wrote:I'm super excited for this! Movie spin-offs are win in my book.
Not always. A lot of the previous movie-based TV shows (all of them non-canonical and are never acknowledged as canon or official continuations of the original films by the company, just like the direct-to-video cheapquels) were mostly mediocre at best and were not really true to the original films and the characters.
Last edited by disneyphilip on Wed Jun 03, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
disneyphilip
Special Edition

Post by disneyphilip »

DisneyFan09 wrote:
disneyphilip wrote:Really.
Could you elaborate on that?

I'll admit the "Aladdin" show was inferior to the movie. Frankly, I thought the show was darker and sometimes lacked the wit and playfulness of the movie. Is not that I detest the show, some episodes were fine. But overall I thought the show was dark and quite bleak, actually. I'm not sure how to compare the "Mermaid" show to the movie, but I thought the show was darker. But overall I like "Mermaid" show better than "Aladdin" and thought it was more endearing and enchanting. I haven't seen the "Hercules" show to judge. "The Emperor's New School" is cute, though. The "Tarzan" show is equal to it's movie counterpart. "Timon and Pumbaa" was a mixed bag, though. Some episodes were cute and fun, yet it could be grating at times.
But still, those shows were mostly poorly-done.
"Lilo & Stitch" is a show that was better than the movie, mostly because it expanded the universe and the dynamics between the characters. It was cute and fun.
I mostly disagree. The Lilo & Stitch series did destroy and/or Flanderize most of the original characters, especially Nani.