Tangled: The Series

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Tangled: The Series

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:I've looked it up and the songs that are eligible for the 47th Daytime Emmys (the nominations of which will be announced in April) are Crossing the Line, Stronger Than Ever Before, and Bigger Than That. I would be thrilled if Crossing the Line got nominated as it is one of my favorite songs in the series and easily the best of the three, in my opinion. It would be fitting if the nominated song was the duet between Rapunzel and Cassandra whose relationship was the crux of season 3 and arguably the entire show.
Thanks for the info! Yes, of these songs I think "Crossing the Line" is the one that has a better chance of being nominated. I guess the rest of the songs from season 3 that have aired later will be eligible for next year's awards, right?
Disney's Divinity wrote:Perhaps it was a condition by Menken and Slater? This is the first time the original composer has followed a property to TV, isn't it? At least with Disney anyway; maybe there are non-Disney examples.
That's my guess too. They've been working on other projects at the same time and probably couldn't devote that much time to the series. If that's the case, I don't mind we didn't get more songs. I much prefer a smaller number of songs by the original composers to many of inferior quality.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Sotiris »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Perhaps it was a condition by Menken and Slater?
I don't think so. Menken is always so grateful when they offer him a job, he rarely turns anything down (which has led to him taking on some questionable projects over the years). I highly doubt he would have declined writing more songs for the series had they asked him. I mean, he did Galavant that had two songs per episode, why would he have a problem doing something similar with Tangled: The Series?

It was probably something decided by the showrunner. He had a very clear picture in his head about what he wanted the series to be from the start. From his interviews, it seems he always envisioned the series as something more adventure-oriented than a musical. Perhaps he believed too many songs would get in the way of the action. Maybe he (or the network) thought too many songs would alienate the audience. There's still a lot of stigma surrounding musicals, so I wouldn't be surprised if it had something to do with that.
D82 wrote:I guess the rest of the songs from season 3 that have aired later will be eligible for next year's awards, right?
Yes, that's correct.
D82 wrote:They've been working on other projects at the same time and probably couldn't devote that much time to the series.
Menken always has multiple projects in the works at the same time because so many of them end up falling through. Even if he was busy with other projects in development, it wouldn't have stopped him from writing more songs for the show if asked.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:
D82 wrote:I guess the rest of the songs from season 3 that have aired later will be eligible for next year's awards, right?
Yes, that's correct.
Thanks for confirming. Then there are still two chances for the show. I wish Disney promoted the songs (and the show) more. They could do some featurettes, music videos, etc. Then maybe more people would be aware of the songs and would vote for them.
Sotiris wrote:Menken always has multiple projects in the works at the same time because so many of them end up falling through. Even if he was busy with other projects in development, it wouldn't have stopped him from writing more songs for the show if asked.
Maybe you're right. I didn't know Galavant had two songs per episode. I haven't watched the show, just listened to the songs, so I didn't know how many episodes it had. If he could write so many songs for that show, he probably could've done the same for this one. I don't know if every episode needed a song, but one every three or four episodes would've been great. Though I prefer quality over quantity. I don't remember being very impressed by any of the songs from Galavant and maybe it's because they had to deliver so many of them. Though, to be fair, I haven't listened to that soundtrack much and sometimes you need to listen to songs several times for them to grow on you.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I probably ranked the "Life After Happily Ever After (reprise)" a little high the more I listen to it. I still like it, but I thought there was more after Eugene's dialogue than there is. :lol: I must've been high on the ending at the time. And is it me or does it feel like there should be one last note at the end that was left out?

"Waiting in the Wings (reprise)," on the other hand, I still feel is gorgeous. I think it's the song Espinosa's voice sounds the prettiest on, actually. She just sounds nicer when she's singing that high and when she's not belting; it's really pretty. Although I think when she and the child actor are singing the one line at the same time, Espinosa actually sings down so they can have the high note and then returns to where she was in the next line?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

hey I haven't yet laid out my thoughts on this show... mostly my opinion mirrors most posters thoughts here.:up: Though I think I didn't looove it as much as others here but that's probably b/c Tangled was never among my favorite of the princess movies. Its was a nice little show that was hampered by too many fillers for my tastes. I liked a few of the songs but most were pretty forgettable for me. One thing I really liked, the show runners weren't scared to redeem their villains, 8) although I did think Varian's redemption was too rushed. My favorite characters were Varian, Cass and Eugene's dad(he was a hoot! He reminded me of an older Kronk, lol.)

There were times the show had some really fantastic animation especially during action scenes(the slapstick scenes during the Flynn Rider doppelganger ep, wow!)hard to believe this show was made with flash.

So Varian almost got his own series? he ended up getting alot of fangirls. :lol: A steampunk inspired show with an older Varian would have been cool. :milkbuds:
Disney's Divinity

unprincess wrote: There were times the show had some really fantastic animation especially during action scenes(the slapstick scenes during the Flynn Rider doppelganger ep, wow!)hard to believe this show was made with flash.
Yes, I thought this show was so pretty. Not as great as a hand-drawn film would've been, but at least we got to see Rapunzel and Flynn in hand-drawn form. I personally think Flynn's facial hair looked better here than in the movie... Rapunzel's freckles stand out more here, too. I know this is a by-gone thing to bring up, but they always lied and said they would choose medium based on what was "appropriate" for the story... Rapunzel's paintings made Tangled suitable for hand-drawn animation, imo, and BH6 was based on a comic. Moana had the mythical drawings at the beginning, which were honestly the highlight of the whole thing. WIR could go both ways; the artwork for those old pixelated games was hand-drawn, but I get being inside something technological would suit 3D. I would've liked a movie that looked like game sprites (sort of like Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories on GBA, for anyone who played that.)

Anyway, I really came here to post because... Well, I read something elsewhere and it made me realize a lot of people are connecting Tangled to what's happening right now in the news with the Coronavirus. I mean, the movie couldn't have chosen a more unfortunate name for the kingdom. First it was the same as a beer brand, now this happens. I only made the connection this morning, but I had seen political tweets the past week calling Trump the #KingOfCorona, based on when Rapunzel's father was lying and hiding things as well as abandoning his people to the thorns in the first season. I thought that was an accurate and yet odd reference to make--since I didn't think the Tangled series did well-enough to be that well-known?--until today when I connected Corona to Coronavirus. I was slow on the uptake there. :lol:

You don't think Disney might end up changing the name at some point, do you? I know that's probably unlikely considering both the movie and the series are over / done. Still, I never put anything beyond Disney...
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ I don't think the movie actually mentions the name Corona, right? (I could be wrong but I don't remember it being said.) But now with the show, unless Disney dubs over "Corona," it's probably here to stay.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

blackcauldron85 wrote:^ I don't think the movie actually mentions the name Corona, right? (I could be wrong but I don't remember it being said.) But now with the show, unless Disney dubs over "Corona," it's probably here to stay.
You're right. No Corona in the movie. Why would they change that in the show though? Corona is a crown, that's why that family of viruses is named like that, because they look like a crown. I don't think there's a need to change or dubbing it again, just a waste of time and money IMO.
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

farerb wrote:
blackcauldron85 wrote:^ I don't think the movie actually mentions the name Corona, right? (I could be wrong but I don't remember it being said.) But now with the show, unless Disney dubs over "Corona," it's probably here to stay.
You're right. No Corona in the movie. Why would they change that in the show though? Corona is a crown, that's why that family of viruses is named like that, because they look like a crown. I don't think there's a need to change or dubbing it again, just a waste of time and money IMO.
Yes, lots of money would be spent to dub over the name in all 20+ dubs of the show around the world.

Give this a couple of years and a new generation will not draw that connection. But if I was Disney I would not heavily promote to watch the show atleast before the situation has calmed down.
Last edited by DisneyBluLife on Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Disney's Divinity

I actually hadn't noticed it was never said in the movie. I guess this is sort of like "Atlantica." That name was only ever in the animated series / other media, too.

Yeah, with the show having ended, they probably wouldn't bother now. If it had still been going, I suppose they probably would've just avoided saying the word as much as possible. :lol:
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
I actually hadn't noticed it was never said in the movie. I guess this is sort of like "Atlantica." That name was only ever in the animated series / other media, too.

Yeah, with the show having ended, they probably wouldn't bother now. If it had still been going, I suppose they probably would've just avoided saying the word as much as possible. :lol:
Do they say "Agrabah" in the original Aladdin movie (1992)? I don't remember.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

DisneyBluLife wrote:
Disney's Divinity wrote:I actually hadn't noticed it was never said in the movie. I guess this is sort of like "Atlantica." That name was only ever in the animated series / other media, too.

Do they say "Agrabah" in the original Aladdin movie (1992)? I don't remember.
Yes, they do.
Disney's Divinity

I wonder if perhaps they wanted to make sure nobody mistook the setting for an exact place in real life in Aladdin's case?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Chris Sonnenburg wrote:This is ALMOST the last page from Rapunzel’s actual journal. Thank you again, Claire Keane for all of your beautiful work on Tangled: The Series.
Source: https://twitter.com/BigPants/status/1239931123943084038
Disney's Divinity

So pretty! I really wish I'd been able to buy the first DVD they released back when it first came out when it was packaged with those journals with Keane artwork.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Shorty sings "Wind in My Beard" for Theme Song Takeover. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fz7TbZwK3m0
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The showrunner revealed that the series wasn't successful for Disney Channel. We suspected as much when they changed the title in a desperate attempt to draw in more people, but now it has been confirmed. It's a shame, really. I wonder why it didn't resonate with more people. Tangled was and still is pretty popular. Perhaps the art style played a role in that. It was different from the look of the movie that people were familiar with. Maybe that alienated audiences. What do you think?
Chris Sonnenburg wrote:Far too few people saw the quality of the show far too late, and despite a wonderfully loyal and vocal fan base it was never a hit with the channel. Like the movie, the show was made for a very wide range of audience and I’m extremely happy and proud that we resonated with them.
Source: https://twitter.com/BigPants/status/1241942841489633285
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

IMO it's the serialized nature of the show. Kids tend to not follow these things and then when they come to see an episode after not watching a few, they might not understand what's going on.
Disney's Divinity

I blame the title of the original film to a large degree. Frozen smashed and so its weird adjective title is memorable to people. Tangled, on the other hand, was released when Disney was still largely irrelevant to most people in comparison to PIXAR and even less so than Dreamworks at the time. And it only did moderately well, not enough for people to see the word "Tangled" and instantly think Disney, imo. The film is kept alive via the Disney princess franchise the same way TP&TF is, even though it did better than TP&TF did. If the film had been called Rapunzel or the show had begun with the Rapunzel's Tangled Adventure moniker to begin with, I think people would have been more likely to recognize the show for what it was immediately.

Another thing could be: the show simply came about too late. Tangled was in 2010. This show started in, what, 2017? The children who Tangled was seen by in its first release have probably aged too much between those years to want to watch a show that wouldn't feel too out-of-place on DisneyJunior... I mean, it was very kiddy, soft and light in its filler episodes.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

I didn't end up watching it all the way through, mostly because of the art style. Which is weird, because I actually do find it appealing, in stills. In motion I'm not really a fan of it. It works best as a style you'd see in a book. Its not even about it being 2d, because I love seeing 2d done right. But I prefer when 2d has lines to hold the shapes together.