Pinocchio (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Pinocchio (Live-Action)

Post by Disney Duster »

Ooh, Cynthia was my favorite part of Bad Times at the El Royale! I love that movie and her in it! I am so happy she will be the Blue Fairy. I hope they keep her book's blue hair! And the movie's wand!

Joseph Gordon-Levitt is my favorite actor, so as long as he has a prominent role in this, I'm ok with him being Jiminy, even though it seems like a weird choice, like you guys said.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

disneyprincess11 wrote:
I mean, yeah. Give a Little Whistle, anyone? If not Jiminy, it's 300% the Blue Fairy. Not only does it make sense, but c'mon. How can you cast Cynthia Erivo as the Blue Fairy and NOT have her sing WYWUAS (no matter who Jiminy is)? Glad to see I wasn’t too far off from Audra McDonald!
McDonald would've been fantastic. :( I don't know Erivo. Just glancing over her Wikipedia page, apparently she's sung a version of "When You Wish Upon a Star" before, although I think it might've been alongside a few other singers.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

she's that dove that delivers the letter from BF to Jiminy? :P

btw there's an Italian Pinocchio movie out in theaters now that's supposedly total nightmare fuel. :milkbuds:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -film.html
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

unprincess wrote:btw there's an Italian Pinocchio movie out in theaters now that's supposedly total nightmare fuel. :milkbuds:

Guess those parents never read the book then, huh?
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

^ It really sucks that some of the parents commenting think that that movie is Disney. It's giving Disney a bad reputation when it has nothing to do with Disney. (Part of me thinks, this is what happens when you remake your films, Disney- people think any version is yours...but I'm sure people thought that the Jonathan Taylor Thomas or Roberto Beigni versions were Disney, and those were before all the remakes...)
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

TheSequelOfDisney wrote:
unprincess wrote:btw there's an Italian Pinocchio movie out in theaters now that's supposedly total nightmare fuel. :milkbuds:

Guess those parents never read the book then, huh?
It's really interesting isn't it? There was that time when people would talk about how Disney messed up the stories and now, it's come to "WTF is this?!!?" It sort of reminds me of when the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland came out, there were at least a couple of posts that wondered why the Doorknob wasn't a featured character in the film. Granted, this version did stray even further from the story but still...

Btw, I did just see that version of Pinocchio this past week. Quite good. Maybe the best of the live action interpretations I had seen.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

What version of Pinocchio isn't nightmare fuel? Especially any time they depict the donkey transformations.
Tristy wrote:It's really interesting isn't it? There was that time when people would talk about how Disney messed up the stories and now, it's come to "WTF is this?!!?" It sort of reminds me of when the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland came out, there were at least a couple of posts that wondered why the Doorknob wasn't a featured character in the film. Granted, this version did stray even further from the story but still...
Or when Return to Oz was originally released and critics hated it, because the tone was so different from the 1939 musical they were familiar with and yet Return to Oz is actually more faithful to the feel and tone of Baum's books than the MGM movie. Although seeing that movie as a child also befuddled me as I wasn't expecting something so scary. It was only revisiting Return to Oz years later than I appreciated what the filmmakers were going for.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
TheSequelOfDisney
Signature Collection

Post by TheSequelOfDisney »

Tristy wrote:
It's really interesting isn't it? There was that time when people would talk about how Disney messed up the stories and now, it's come to "WTF is this?!!?" It sort of reminds me of when the Tim Burton Alice in Wonderland came out, there were at least a couple of posts that wondered why the Doorknob wasn't a featured character in the film. Granted, this version did stray even further from the story but still...

Btw, I did just see that version of Pinocchio this past week. Quite good. Maybe the best of the live action interpretations I had seen.
To be fair, I only just read the novel last year, but you're right, it really is interesting how something can become so much part of a culture that the original source gets neglected or even forgotten about. I actually have this new film on hold from the library, though I'm about 20th in line, so who knows when I'll get to see it. Hopefully soon.
estefan wrote:What version of Pinocchio isn't nightmare fuel? Especially any time they depict the donkey transformations.
I think the only one that gave me actual nightmares was the Jonathan Taylor Thomas version. I'm curious to see if it would have the same affect on me 25 years later.
The Divulgations of One Desmond Leica: http://desmondleica.wordpress.com/
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Joseph Gordon-Lewitt as Jiminy Cricket? Well, that`s an interesting and peculiar choice. He`s not the first actor that comes to mind with portraying Jiminy (at least for me).
Tristy
Special Edition

Post by Tristy »

estefan wrote:What version of Pinocchio isn't nightmare fuel? Especially any time they depict the donkey transformations.
Indeed. And I know people were expecting this version to be like the Disney film but even when though the film was softened to be more appealing to mass audiences, it still contained some pretty terrifying images. (The Coachman's infamous "...As BOYS!" face springs to mind.)

Yeah as far as Jiminy goes, that's not the first choice I would have gone with either. Maybe David Hyde Pierce would have been a good pick (yes. Another Treasure Planet actor). He could probably pull it off.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I hate how people are that stupid they think Disney is the one making Matteo Garrone's remake.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think the orginal can be improved.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Cynthia Erivo Teases Her Transformation Into the Blue Fairy in ‘Pinocchio’: ‘We Don’t Have Very Many Black Fairies’
https://variety.com/2021/tv/podcasts/cy ... 234936129/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

I still don't know much about Erivo, but she was on The View a day or so ago advertising her Aretha film. Going by the clips shown from the film, she seems like a great actress even if I don't care for her voice. I'm glad JHUD is playing Aretha in another film coming up about her (I think Aretha personally chose JHUD for the role before she passed).
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I can't speak for Joseph Gordon-Levitt acting ability or if he fits the role of Jiminy Cricket.

Beacuse i have seen very few movies with him

In fact i think i have only sen the movies he done with Christopher Nolan.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

This has great cast .
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

According to Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, the actor who plays Pinocchio, the shooting is almost finished. It's a shame no set images have leaked. (Via Disney Live-Actions Brasil).
Disney's Divinity

Wow, this is fast! I would've thought this wouldn't have even started filming yet. I thought The Little Mermaid was going to come before it?
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

D82 wrote:According to Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, the actor who plays Pinocchio, the shooting is almost finished. It's a shame no set images have leaked. (Via Disney Live-Actions Brasil).
WAIT :shock: :shock:

So this movie has already started filming ? :?
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I, too, am extremely surprised!