Pinocchio (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Re: Pinocchio (Live-Action)

Post by Marce82 »

Phew.... good to see I'm not the only one who thought Cynthia Erivo was miscast and poorly styled.

The blue fairy now is bald with huge fake acrylic nails??? What the....???
THis may be controversial, but I'm not sure this sort of Angelic figure would have less than perfect teeth either.
PatrickvD
Signature Collection

Post by PatrickvD »

This looks messy. The CGI is bad. I’m sure people will gobble it up.
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Kyle wrote:
Jules wrote:BLUE FAIRY!!?

I thought that was a guy in drag!!
It felt like something they did on purpose to get twitter riled up. Is it just me?
It does!

Because while the Blue Fairy is who she is, and will always attract controversy due to her skin colour and styling (including from me, because I am tired of race and gender-bent characters), I am certain they could have used a more ... flattering shot of her in the trailer!

Does this mean The Walt Disney Co. is taking up trolling now? lol :P
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Jules wrote:Does this mean The Walt Disney Co. is taking up trolling now? lol :P
They know it's going to rile people up, they basically use it as a cynical marketing ploy at this point, and they're not the only studio to do that.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

So, the footage in the teaser doesn't look bad at all. Tom Hanks as Gepetto will be amazing, I'm sure. Jiminy looks kinda weird, but maybe the CGI is not complete on him, as was the case with Will Smith's Genie in Aladdin. Luke Evans' appearance in the teaser was too short for me to judge, Stromboli looks kinda like a caricature, not nearly as menacing as the one in the animation. Now, I'm curious how Monstro will be. He was terrifying in the animation. Here, most likely, he will be toned down. Meanwhile, the Blue Fairy looks awful. Maybe she will look better in the final movie, but here, she looks like a (bald?) drag queen.

But seeing that Robert Zemeckis is behind this, I'm sure that visually, it will be stunning.
The poster looks really nice. I do like the fact that they kept Pinocchio's original design, but I'm not sure how he will look animated. In the teaser there's literally no footage of himself. I Googled Cynthia Erivo, and she's a beautiful woman, but they made her look ridiculous in here.
Last edited by Vlad on Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I just remembered that Robert Zemeckis's last movie "The Witches" was originally going to be directed by Guillermo del Toro (and del Toro still wound up with a co-writing credit, although I don't know how much of his material was used) and now they both have "Pinocchio" movies set to come out only a few months apart on competing streaming services. I find that kind of amusing. I wonder if that's ever came up in conversation between them.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I don't think Disney dressed Erivo that way--I mean, aside from the dress itself, I'm talking about her being bald and the long nails. The truth is, she often looks that way in real life. TBH, I think she looks better here than normal because she often wears this bull-like piercing in her nose, which I don't care for. They must've told her she can film as she is when they hired her, just no piercing. :lol: In other films, like the Harriet Tubman film, she looks almost nothing like she does in real life because they dress her up or she grows her hair out for the film (I'm not sure which).
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Yes, Cynthia Erivo had a hand in creating the look of her character, as she explained in an interview Sotiris posted a while ago:
Let’s talk about playing the Blue Fairy in “Pinocchio.” When I think Cynthia Erivo, I’m thinking blue hair, blue makeup, blue nails, big blue toile, just avant-garde. If there’s anyone who’s going to take a fairy and give us this spin, it’s you.

You might be right, you know. They really have given me carte blanche. They have a creative idea which is really, really beautiful. I don’t want to spoil it but it’s really lovely. But I have my hair and makeup team going over it. Terrell [Mullin], my makeup artist, is making eyelashes currently. I know that already it’s a different aesthetic, because it’s me — this bald-headed Black girl. I’m really excited about it. We don’t have very many Black fairies. I’m very proud to be joining the ranks with Yara Shahidi [playing Tinker Bell in “Peter Pan”] and I’m very proud we’re getting to join the ranks of Disney with Halle Bailey, who’s playing the Little Mermaid. It’s kind of awesome.
Source: https://variety.com/2021/tv/podcasts/cy ... 234936129/
Disney's Divinity

There hadn't been any Disney fairies (outside the Tinker Bell fairies franchise perhaps?) that were Black, but there were 5 Black women as Muses in Hercules, and modern day Disney plans to cut them, so.... And they're real diversity in Disney, characters who will be a part of the canon forever, not re-make wannabes that will be forgotten in 3 to 5 years.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Marce82 wrote:The blue fairy now is bald with huge fake acrylic nails???
I noticed the long, fake nails too. It cheapens the whole look even further. They shouldn't have allowed Cynthia to determine the character's look. She never had a good sense of style.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Sotiris, agreed about the nails!

And what is this crap about letting actors decide the look of their character? Whatever happened to art directors (working with costume designers and makeup artists)????

THis is the same crap as BATB, letting Emma Watson "decide" Belle's look... and it turned out horrible. Ugh.
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I agree, 100%. I hated the dress Belle wears during the balroom sequence. I wasn't too crazy about her peasant dress either. But I will take those anytime instead of this Blue Fairy atrocity.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

This production is so cheap that I honestly believe they just dressed her in whatever rag they could find from the nearest thrift store and didn't bother with anything else.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It looks like Guillermo del Toro's take on Pinocchio will be very different from Disney's:
It's not just "Honest" John and "Giddy" who have been left out of "Guillermo del Toro's Pinocchio." Other than Sebastian, the magical spirit that brings Pinocchio to life, and, obviously, Pinocchio himself, the film drops all the other famous fantastical elements associated with the fairy tale (including that horrifying bit about little boys being turned into donkeys and enslaved on Pleasure Island). As del Toro explained to Vanity Fair:

"I didn't want magical creatures other than the wood spirit that gives him life, and Pinocchio himself. I didn't want a talking fox and a talking cat and the magic of transforming him into a donkey. I wanted everything else to feel as close as we can to the real world."
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/895171/heres- ... pinocchio/
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Del Toro’s take sounds positivity ghastly!
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Del Toro's movie is also set in Mussolini's Italy. He has a strange obsession with fascism. But it is also a musical, and it will be stop motion. His take on the cricket is also interesting by making him a spirit on the first place.

Looking forward to the first real trailer from Disney's version. The only problem is that I know the story so well that unless they have made some changes, one will know exactly what to expect.
Disney's Divinity

Rumpelstiltskin wrote: He has a strange obsession with fascism.
Not so strange to me considering the state of the world right now.

Personally, I'm looking forward to both the Disney remake and the Del Toro film. It's a shame they're happening at the same time, but the world has room for many adaptations of these classic stories, imo. I've always expected the Del Toro to be the better film, just because the remakes aren't the greatest films in the world (they're more for nostalgia--which makes the attempts at extreme changes in some of them, like Mulan, TLM, and SW, a really absurd decision).
lord-of-sith
Collector's Edition

Post by lord-of-sith »

Marce82 wrote:Sotiris, agreed about the nails!

And what is this crap about letting actors decide the look of their character? Whatever happened to art directors (working with costume designers and makeup artists)????

THis is the same crap as BATB, letting Emma Watson "decide" Belle's look... and it turned out horrible. Ugh.
Actors, especially big-name ones, have worked with designers to help create their looks for movies for a long time. It just seems like a "bad" idea when you don't like the result. Some examples off the top of my head where actors helped craft their character's looks, and are viewed generally favorably are: Angelina Jolie in Maleficent, Helena Bonham Carter and Jason Isaacs in the [/i]Harry Potter[/i] series (and I suspect there are others in that series), Elizabeth Olsen in WandaVision, and Whoopi Goldberg in Cinderella. Actors are creative people and like to have their input in fully embodying their characters, especially in a collaborative process like filmmaking.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Not so strange to me considering the state of the world right now.

Personally, I'm looking forward to both the Disney remake and the Del Toro film. It's a shame they're happening at the same time, but the world has room for many adaptations of these classic stories, imo. I've always expected the Del Toro to be the better film, just because the remakes aren't the greatest films in the world (they're more for nostalgia--which makes the attempts at extreme changes in some of them, like Mulan, TLM, and SW, a really absurd decision).
I think it is more of a historical interest than an attempt to describe the world today, and he would probably have made the movie the way it is no matter what's going is happening right now.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Lord-of-sith, what did Angelina Jolie and Whoopi Goldberg do for their character's looks? All I know about Whoopi was she got real jewels for her character.