Sadé

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sadé

Post by JeanGreyForever »

https://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/20 ... ade-pitch/
https://www.themarysue.com/disney-sade- ... -princess/
https://deadline.com/2018/07/disney-sad ... 202434114/
Disney has reportedly acquired the pitch for Sadé to be made into a live-action film.
The story is an African princess fairytale that’s based on an original work by Ola Shokunbi and Lindsey Reed Palmer.
Shokunbi and Palmer will co-write the screenplay and Rick Famuyiwa is attached to produce.
Scott Falconer will serve as executive producer, while Tendo Nagenda and Zoe Kent will oversee the project for the studio. However, no director has been named at this point.
Sadé will mark the first original Disney fairytale led by a female African character.
It’s unclear if this film will be developed for theatrical release or Disney’s upcoming streaming service.
It centers on a young African girl named Sadé who, when her kingdom is threatened by a mysterious evil force, accepts her newly discovered magical warrior powers to protect herself and her people. With the help of the kingdom’s prince, Sadé embarks on an adventure that will allow her to embrace what makes her special and save the kingdom.
I always wanted Disney to make a proper African princess and set a story in Africa that doesn't involve animals or a European cast. I'm quite excited for this one although I wish it could have been an animated film.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Sadé

Post by Sotiris »

The project sounds interesting. I'm looking forward to it. Shuri's popularity from Black Panther surely played a role in Disney greenlighting it. Here's hoping its success will lead to a live-action Aida movie.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I always wanted Disney to make a proper African princess and set a story in Africa that doesn't involve animals or a European cast. I'm quite excited for this one although I wish it could have been an animated film.
Me too. It would have been so cool if Aida or Latfiya or The Song of Sundiata got made back in the '90s/early '00s. But I'm glad this project isn't animated now 'cause that would mean a CG-animated road trip movie with an obnoxious male supporting character.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Me too. It would have been so cool if Aida or Latfiya or The Song of Sundiata got made back in the '90s/early '00s. But I'm glad this project isn't animated now 'cause that would mean a CG-animated road trip movie with an obnoxious male supporting character.
Word. Unfortunately. Sighs.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

It's great that Disney is going to make its first film with an African princess as a protagonist. The success of Black Panther is most likely what has made this movie possible.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Sotiris wrote: Me too. It would have been so cool if Aida or Latfiya or The Song of Sundiata got made back in the '90s/early '00s. But I'm glad this project isn't animated now 'cause that would mean a CG-animated road trip movie with an obnoxious male supporting character.
It's interesting how many projects set in Africa that Disney passed up on. I wish we could have seen even one of them just to get one that was still in 2D animation. I was upset at first that this film would be in live-action but like you pointed out, I realized that the story would be wasted using the current Lasseter CGI template. At least it'll have a chance to be its own film in live-action format.
ImageImage
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

I wonder if it is possible for these new live-action heroines like Clara or Sadé to become an 'un-official' princesses with the merch in the style of official line-up, like with Moana, Anna, Elsa. I don't think Disney mind having a live-action princess, since they wanted Giselle in a franchise. Just my thought, since they lately began using some elements from live-action remakes in the franchise, like naming Cinderella 'Ella' and having her wear a dress from the movie in one of the books.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Raf wrote:I wonder if it is possible for these new live-action heroines like Clara or Sadé to become an 'un-official' princesses with merch in the style of official line-up.
It'd be down with that. It'd be cool to see cartoon clipart versions of heroines from Disney's live-action fairy tale/fantasy films.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Sadé, the new African Disney princess

Post by willard »

Disney Picks Up ‘Sadé’ Pitch, Fairytale About An African Princess; Rick Famuyiwa Producing

https://deadline.com/2018/07/disney-sad ... 202434114/
Disney's Divinity

Re: Sadé, the new African Disney princess

Post by Disney's Divinity »

The article didn't specify--is this going to be an animated film or live-action? I hope it's the former. The plot sounds interesting, although this'll be the 4th princess with magical powers after Rapunzel, Elsa, and Moana.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Previous articles have said that the film will be live-action. I'm a little surprised really because their original live-action films don't tend to do so well unlike their original animated features. And I would think Disney would want to capitalize on a new princess to join their franchise, especially an African princess. I suppose they prefer live-action though because it'll follow more closely in the vein of Black Panther.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

This is the fairy tale adaptation of an African Princess that Disney should've adapted in 2009 :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But joking aside, if Disney really should've made an African Princess, why not adapting one from an actual African fairy tale?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

DisneyFan09 wrote:This is the fairy tale adaptation of an African Princess that Disney should've adapted in 2009 :P

Sorry, I couldn't resist. But joking aside, if Disney really should've made an African Princess, why not adapting one from an actual African fairy tale?
This is my opinion too. I was never a fan of Disney making an American princess besides Pocahontas. Especially the first black princess being an African American princess from the 1920s, one of the most racial periods in American history (although that can be argued for pretty much an U.S. era). It seemed like Disney was too desperately trying to pander to the African American demographic by literally making their princess of the same background rather than from Africa. I was really hoping for Aida or any princess from an African folktale really so I'm quite excited for this film.
ImageImage
veu
Limited Issue

Post by veu »

Sadé seems to be a beautiful movie.
I think Lupita Nyong'o could be a good choice to do Sadé.
What do you think?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I highly doubt this is true but...
Q: Do you know of any plans for Nutcracker's Clara in the princess lineup? Is it possible/unlikely for live-action characters like her or Sade?

Skyler Shuler: No plans for Clara; Sade very possible.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 7392187393
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

veu wrote:I think Lupita Nyong'o could be a good choice to do Sadé. What do you think?
She would be brilliant. She's extremely warm and likable, so she would've been a splendid choice.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:This is my opinion too. I was never a fan of Disney making an American princess besides Pocahontas. Especially the first black princess being an African American princess from the 1920s, one of the most racial periods in American history (although that can be argued for pretty much an U.S. era). It seemed like Disney was too desperately trying to pander to the African American demographic by literally making their princess of the same background rather than from Africa. I was really hoping for Aida or any princess from an African folktale really so I'm quite excited for this film.
I couldn't agree more! I don't mind the fact that Disney wanted to make an African American Princess, but Tiana's position in The Princess and the Frog is extremely contrived and shoehorned in, just for the sake of making her a Princess (when in fact the mere possibility of it is weird). If they should do an African American story, why having it be so radical and turning the girl into a frog?
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote:I highly doubt this is true but...
Q: Do you know of any plans for Nutcracker's Clara in the princess lineup? Is it possible/unlikely for live-action characters like her or Sade?

Skyler Shuler: No plans for Clara; Sade very possible.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/10 ... 7392187393
There is no possibility whatsoever that will happen. The line is already overloaded; they're not going to make it worse by adding live-action characters.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

I thought they couldn't put live action because then they would have to pay royalties to the actresses for using their likeness and that's the reason why Giselle isn't in the line up.
Raf
Limited Issue

Post by Raf »

farerb wrote:I thought they couldn't put live action because then they would have to pay royalties to the actresses for using their likeness and that's the reason why Giselle isn't in the line up.
I think that was only Giselle case, since they can use any other live-action character without any problem.

I don't think any live-action heroine will join the line-up, but I still think they can get the Frozen/Moana treatment if they will be popular. The line of products in the same style as princesses, but solo and with its own title.
willard
Gold Classic Collection

Post by willard »

I wonder which culture it will be based on. The Ashanti maybe?