DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:23 am 
Collector's Edition

Quote:
Please treat this as a rumor until it is confirmed.

A source close to the production of Disney’s “Oz the Great and Powerful” franchise claims that there are two films that will follow up the success of the current Oz film. One film will be a spin-off/prequel, while the other will be a sequel.

The source states that two of the major roles will be recast for different reasons. Director Sam Raimi has stated that he is not interested in returning for a second go around in the Land of Oz. Although Disney would like him back, there are those who would rather keep him out. Apparently, actor Robert Downey, Jr. was close to signing on as the Wizard a.k.a. Oscar Diggs, when there was a falling out between Raimi and Downey. Studio heads were upset by Raimi’s decision to cast James Franco over Downey. So, with Raimi stepping away from the director’s chair, this would be a clear invitation for Downey to take over the role as the Wizard. In the process, Downey would be offered a sweetheart deal to not only act in the sequel, but in the Iron Man/Avengers’ films as well.

http://nukethefridge.com/2013/03/18/ntf ... irector-oz

Post subject: Re: Oz sequel rumors
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:49 am 
Limited Edition

I'd have Robert over James any day of the week. What a shame. But I hate recasting too.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:02 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

This is stupid. Recasting doesn't work. It might work for a minor role, but not the lead. If they wanted Robert Downey Jr. they should have worked harder to lock him in the first time around.

They'd be much wiser to invest in an acting coach for Kunis and Franco than recast the roles and have themselves basically look like fools, admitting the first film had major problems.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:22 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I've read on the net that Franco's acting in Oz was not impressive. I've only seen him in the SpiderMan films. Is this simply a case of an underwhelming performance in one film, or is Franco a limited/less-talented actor than others? I seem to be getting the impression that it's more of the latter than the former.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:32 am 
Limited Edition

He's an Oscar-nominated actor, for what it's worth. But I think he didn't try hard enough in 'Oz, the Great and Powerful'. The same goes for Mila.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:34 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

That's good. :) I have to admit I really do like Franco (and that cute-as-hell scruffy goatee he grows).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

This sounds too much like exactly the cure for what most people have been complaining about to be true. If it somehow is true, I'd be all for it. I agree that recasting a major role sucks, but I think it's necessary in this case. Unless Franco wants to start taking it seriously, he doesn't deserve to be Oz. it felt like it was a joke to him.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:55 am 
Gold Collection

I really hope that they don't change the cast too much. I thought that the cast was pretty good for what it was. So wait, there is going to be a prequel to the prequel of Wizard of Oz? :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:57 am 
Gold Collection

If the rumors are true, I don't know how I feel about the recasting, since I would love to see RDJ as oz, but it would be a huge risk too.

However, I am really excited to hear about the prequel & sequel. While people say they want to see dorothy's house drop on evanora, I also want to see glinda, theodora, and evanora's past. there is still so much to explore.

I really hope this movie becomes into a big franchise, because I really want to see the Land of Oz in disneyland. Since disney couldn't do hardly anything with "Alice in Wonderland",because of the image conflict with the 1951 movie, I think this is a really big chance.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:03 am 
Gold Collection

WonderNeverOz wrote:
If the rumors are true, I don't know how I feel about the recasting, since I would love to see RDJ as oz, but it would be a huge risk too.

However, I am really excited to hear about the prequel & sequel. While people say they want to see dorothy's house drop on evanora, I also want to see glinda, theodora, and evanora's past. there is still so much to explore.

I really hope this movie becomes into a big franchise, because I really want to see the Land of Oz in disneyland. Since disney couldn't do hardly anything with "Alice in Wonderland",because of the image conflict with the 1951 movie, I think this is a really big chance.

What was the conflict between the live action Alice and the 51 animated film?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:17 am 
Platinum Edition

Call me vapid ... but I do hope if this come to be, that Rachel Weiz looks like herself ... gave Oz some much needed glam.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:21 am 
Collector's Edition

I must be in the minority on this one because I actually liked Franco as Oz. I'm praying they keep him and don't get RDJ...I can't stand him. Recasting the main role can and will be fatal. After the first time I seen the movie my 1st comment was, "I hope they do more Oz movies". I'm not sure if that quote still stands true if they recast the main role. All the cast should stay put.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I also kinda feel bad for Kunis. Her story arc was sooooo ridiculous. She had to act as though she was instantly in love after one night and now that the wizard had moved on she was completely heartbroken (impossibly so). She had to work with some of the most ridiculous lines I've ever heard. I think she did the best she could with what was given.

And I loved her post-transformation. I think she's the one who would do a lot better in a sequel. Franco's role can actually be written out completely. It doesn't have to be about the wizard. Glinda, Evanora and the wicked witch are about ten times more interesting anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:34 pm 
Gold Collection

jade wrote:
WonderNeverOz wrote:

What was the conflict between the live action Alice and the 51 animated film?

the two look completely different, therefore, since there's already 51's related tea cups, or character greeting,they couldn't put the live action version into fantasyland. although i guess they tried with the mad T party etc...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:39 pm 
Gold Collection

PatrickvD wrote:
I also kinda feel bad for Kunis. Her story arc was sooooo ridiculous. She had to act as though she was instantly in love after one night and now that the wizard had moved on she was completely heartbroken (impossibly so). She had to work with some of the most ridiculous lines I've ever heard. I think she did the best she could with what was given.

And I loved her post-transformation. I think she's the one who would do a lot better in a sequel. Franco's role can actually be written out completely. It doesn't have to be about the wizard. Glinda, Evanora and the wicked witch are about ten times more interesting anyway.

I don't understand. Ridiculous? y so? she said she was living a lonely life (well with that power, im pretty sure a lot of the people misunderstood her) and I actually understand her feelings. I guess it's something you won't understand, unless you went through something like that

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:41 pm 
Platinum Edition

Wouldn't all the actors be locked into any sort of sequel in their contract? I know Disney are quite hot on this; lock them in for any voicework like video games and dolls etc ?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:49 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

WonderNeverOz wrote:
PatrickvD wrote:

I don't understand. Ridiculous? y so? she said she was living a lonely life (well with that power, im pretty sure a lot of the people misunderstood her) and I actually understand her feelings. I guess it's something you won't understand, unless you went through something like that

It's not a matter of understanding, it's a matter of believability. The change her character went through in a matter of hours is just not believable. It happens SO fast that it's laughable. The same way that if you knew someone in real life you'd think they were insane and stupid to fall in love with someone so intensely so quickly, it comes off as stupid here too. There is such thing as making a romance like this work quickly - love at first sight, it happens all the time in movies, and it is done believably. But this just wasn't done in a convincing manner.

And yes, some of her lines were just totally ridiculous and sounded like they were written my an amateur screenwriter.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:26 pm 
Limited Edition

atlanticaunderthesea wrote:
Wouldn't all the actors be locked into any sort of sequel in their contract? I know Disney are quite hot on this; lock them in for any voicework like video games and dolls etc ?

Yes.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 6:04 pm 
Platinum Edition

I really hope they don't replace James Franco. Not because I think Downey Jr would do a better job, it's just that the ship that has Downey Jr as Oz has set and sailed. Replacing Franco at this point would be a suicidal move on Disney's part. It would confuse the audience audience and kill the franchise opportunities before they even begun.

So Do I think Robert Downey Jr would have been a better Oz? Yes. Do I think they should replace him now over Franco, Heck no, not at this stage in the game, as I said that ship has sailed, so they better stick with Franco and not replace him.

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:40 pm 
Special Edition

I actually rather enjoyed the movie, and I don't think the acting was that bad at all. The problem I had with the movie was that the story elements were a little unbelievable. The way the flying monkey assistant in the beginning went overboard. The way OZ didn't appear to be puzzled about which of the witches were good and which ones were bad, and just took Glinda's word for it? Also the transformation was over too quickly, and her loyalty seemed to change on a dime.

I don't think they should change any of the actors, especially not the main characters. It would ruin the continuity of the film. But I am more excited about the Wicked movie that's being adapted from the Musical than a Disney OZ sequel. It doesn't really need one. We know the rest of the story.