Question about a Production Drawing of Jafar!

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Question about a Production Drawing of Jafar!

Post by ProfessorRatigan »

So, I recently came across a piece of production art and decided to purchase it. But I'm having a hard time figuring out WHICH specific scene of the film it was from! I re-watched Aladdin and even frame-by-framed SEVERAL sequences, it's possible I blinked and missed it, but knowing how knowledgeable the forum here is, I figured I'd put it out there and ask! This is the shot:

The same dealer had this drawing as well, from the same sequence:

REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Re: Question about a Production Drawing of Jafar!

Post by REINIER »

Question is ...who drew it? Andreas Deja is my initial guess..to refined for an assistant animator...He has a blogspot Dejaview. I'd ask him. Another possibilitiy is that this might be an unused scene and alltogether even more valuable
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Upon second viewing I'm not convinced it's from Aladdin at all. More Return of Jafar. The cloack looks really large by comparison to the Aladdin Jafar which,imho, confirms it
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

The design of the turban doesn't match up for Return of Jafar... It is listed as being an Aladdin production drawing, and the blue pencil work makes me think it is. Deja uses the blue colored pencil a LOT in his roughs.

Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

hey,

I am usually pretty good at spotting what scene a drawing may be from... and I am pretty sure your drawing isnt from Aladdin. It may be a deleted scene... but he looks slightly off model, both in the face and size of his body. My guess is Return of Jafar, the tv series, or it could have been animation for a commercial or promotion video.

And I am pretty sure it is not an Andreas Deja drawing. I am an animator myself... blue (red or green) pencil was used by most animators of that generation (many still do) to do the first draft of a drawing, since those colors show when doing a pencil test on film. They would then refine the drawing with black pencil, which did show properly.

But you can always reach out to Andreas directly, through his blog, like its been suggested.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

It's definitely not Return of Jafar, I'm certain of that. Look at the screencap here, specifically look at the turban. (And the piss-poor quality of the draftsmanship overall in the drawing...) It just doesn't compare.

Is there any way to reach out to Mr. Deja OTHER than by commenting on a post? Does he have an e-mail?
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

Yes, the draftmanship on Return of Jafar is bad, but keep in mind what you see on the screen is the clean-up drawing, not the animator's artwork. Odds are, the animation drawings were of better quality, but they had crappy cleanup artists.

About the design of the turban, yes, I see what you mean. But does Jafar never wear his vizier outfit in Return of Jafar? I honestly havent seen that movie in a while...

And again, keep in mind there was plenty of test animation for Aladdin that was not used for the final film. This is a link to Andreas Dejas pencil tests for the film. Many of them were not used in the final film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YySJt3LVTX8m
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Marce82 wrote:Yes, the draftmanship on Return of Jafar is bad, but keep in mind what you see on the screen is the clean-up drawing, not the animator's artwork. Odds are, the animation drawings were of better quality, but they had crappy cleanup artists.

About the design of the turban, yes, I see what you mean. But does Jafar never wear his vizier outfit in Return of Jafar? I honestly havent seen that movie in a while...

And again, keep in mind there was plenty of test animation for Aladdin that was not used for the final film. This is a link to Andreas Dejas pencil tests for the film. Many of them were not used in the final film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YySJt3LVTX8m
No, he never wore his regular vizier costume in Return of Jafar. I saw in that reel several deleted sequences of Jafar animation, begging for the lamp, using magic words to open the Cave of Wonders, petting Iago. Need to go through it and see frame by frame if this is from any of those moments.
Marce82
Anniversary Edition

Post by Marce82 »

You should. But keep in mind Andreas wasnt the only animator for Jafar. It could have been a deleted scene done by someone else...
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

Didn't see it in there, either. Hmm.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

All this talk made me compare screen shots and only now I noticed that they inverted Jafar's outfit's colors in Return of Jafar...so weird.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

farerb wrote:All this talk made me compare screen shots and only now I noticed that they inverted Jafar's outfit's colors in Return of Jafar...so weird.
Yeah, there's a LOT wrong with Jafar's design in Return of Jafar... At this point, I'm certain this has to be from either an animation test or a deleted sequence that we've not seen before.
ProfessorRatigan
Special Edition

I think I actually found it! It's from the scene where Iago puts the idea of marrying Jasmine into Jafar's head. "Marry the shrew..." And then Jafar smiles and turns, BUT the frame cuts off the left side of the image! Going through it on Youtube actually made me realize I needed to be looking at the shoulders of his cloak and that's when I found it! Haha.