DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:13 am 
Platinum Edition

It's not clear yet whether this is for Disney or some other studio but Brad Bird's next film is going to be a live-action musical.

Quote:
Q: Is [1906] next maybe for you?

Brad Bird: No. I have something that I've been wanting to make for years. It's live-action that has maybe 20 minutes of animation.
Source: https://deadline.com/2018/12/pixar-brad ... 202519826/

Quote:
Q: What is your next thing? What do you got?

Brad Bird: Well, it's a musical, actually.

Q: Tell me about it.

Brad Bird: Well, I don't know anything about musicals so I figure I should do this, you know? 'Cause I'm definitely afraid of it and that sounds like a cool thing.

Q: Tell me the premise. What do we got?

Brad Bird: Well, I don't want to say too much about it. It's a project I've been wanting to make a long time. It's got about 20 minutes of animation in it.

Q: Now do we know the project or is it an original project.

Brad Bird: No, it's an original project. I assure you, you don't know.

Q: So, who's doing the music?

Brad Bird: Michael Giacchino.
Source: https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1081995133736767488

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:42 am 
Gold Collection

Ooh, 20 minutes of animation, huh? Hand drawn or CG? If the former, consider me interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sounds really interesting. I was also wondering if the animation would be 2D or CG, I hope it's the former as well. If Bird knows there'll be 20 minutes of animation more or less in the film, I guess it's an animated sequence like in Mary Poppins and not a character or another thing. And if I'm not mistaken, this will be Michael Giacchino's first musical, because in Coco he didn't write the songs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:29 pm 
Platinum Edition

The animation sequence will be hand-drawn but the movie is not for Disney.

Brad Bird wrote:
The next thing I'm doing, if I have any say so in the matter—I can't pay for it myself—is a live-action film, a musical that has about 20 minutes of animation, largely that will be hand-drawn. I also have a couple of ideas for feature animation that I also want to do hand-drawn just because I miss it so much. I don't prefer it; there are definite advantages to CG. It's an amazing tool, obviously. I've enjoyed using that tool but there's a certain itch that only hand-drawn scratches and I'm itchy right now to do that.
Source: https://maltinonmovies.libsyn.com/brad-bird

Quote:
Q: Well, just the past few days you've started talking about what your next project might be. Are there any details you are able to share with us about that project?

Brad Bird: Yeah, it's a project that I've been wanting to make for a long time. In fact, it predates Iron Giant in terms of the idea that I've had and I've wanted to pursue. I actually pitched it to a movie studio a long time ago. So, I'm returning to it and I have a lot of changes for the story that I want to do. It's a live-action musical but it has probably 20 minutes or so of animation in it. But it's not the way people are thinking about it. People are thinking about it something like Mary Poppins but it's not. It's a little more modern than that in its style. I think it will be really exciting and really fun.

Q: Do you have any details on the style of animation that you hope to use in the project?

Brad Bird: Certainly a large part of it will be hand-drawn. So, that's a little different than the CG that I've been doing with Pixar.

Q: Is this a Disney project or is it set up at another studio? Are you able to share that?

Brad Bird: No, it's actually at another studio. It was originally at TriStar which makes it at Sony. But you know, it's something that I'm interested making and when I flesh it out we'll see if people will have the gumption to [embrace] something new and different 'cause I think it is something like that. To me it is exactly something that I would love to see in a movie theater.

Q: Do you hope to pair with Michael Giacchino again especially since it's a musical?

Brad Bird: Oh, absolutely. Yes, yes. We've been discussing it for a while so...It's a chance for us both to roll up our sleeves and do something that scares us a little bit in a really good way.
Source: https://www.nextbestpicture.com/latest/ ... -brad-bird

In a December 2004 interview for Starlog Magazine, he mentioned in passing the project in question.

Quote:
Among those projects that just didn’t fly were the SF detective yam Ray Gunn and The Spirit, an animated version of Will Eisner’s comics crime-fighter. “There was also a live-action movie called ‘Brothers in Crime’ Bird reveals, “and then I was involved for a very short time with a film called ‘Little Monsters’, which could have been cool if it had been done the way that I wanted to do it, but when it became clear that they wanted to do it really cheaply, I bailed. I had another project that got stuck at TriStar that I believe could have been a great movie. In fact, I still believe each one of them could have been great. And they would get cancelled for the most mundane of reasons. The guy who was my executive would get fired, and then the next executive wouldn’t want anything that the previous exec had done; or a film that was vaguely like [my idea], with one similar element, would tank at the box office and therefore — there’s no vision.”
Source: https://archive.org/details/starlog_mag ... G/page/n45

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:26 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

It's great that the animation sequence will be hand drawn! And I'm almost glad it's not for Disney; their latest live-action films have been quite disappointing in my opinion. Also, maybe at another studio Bird will have more creative freedom. I'm glad he'll finally be able to do this project he had wanted to do for so long. I'm also intrigued by what he said, that it's something new and different.