Mulan (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Mulan (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

The teaser trailer is coming out tomorrow. For more info about when and where click on the link below.

Source: https://www.instagram.com/p/BzkFpialJog/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I think live action Little Mermaid seems more promising than this movie.

But i think adding a villian with magical powers was a good choice.

And i also really like that Mulan's nemesis is also a woman. i think that fits.

Jason Scott Lee's character seems to be what tv tropes calls s a dragon.

Tv Tropes defines the dragon as "A person or monster The Hero has to get past to get at the Big Bad. Much of the time, but not necessarily, the Big Bad's top enforcer. He, she or it embodies a narrative trope: the penultimate challenge that the hero must face before confronting the Big Bad. This challenge will test their worthiness in some fundamental way."

I like TV Tropes.

I think casting Jet Li as the emperor was a good choice. But i wish Jackie Chan was in this movie in some way.

I would cast him in the role George Takei voiced in the orginal. But am pretty sure that role is cut. Which i think is bad thing.

Also i wish James Hong returned in some role. He is still fairly active.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I have a theory about live action Mulan. Fans will be angry when the trailer dosn't look like the animated movie. The backclash will be so big Disney will go back and change things in post and might even do reshoots to make it more like the animated movie. The result will be an uneven mess that will turn out like Suicde Squad.

A movie which can't decided what it wants to be and was edited to pices.

Just wait and see !

It's bay's ninja turtles all over again.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

blackcauldron85 wrote:Teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=01ON04GCwKs
Oh noooooo. This looks exactly like I hoped it wouldn’t simply for the sake that this is going to totally alienate American audiences. It doesn’t look any different from any other Chinese epic. And that’s fine because that’s what it is, but I was really hoping for some sort of Disney magic in there. But it’s just not. I know there are no VFX in this trailer, and there’s probably a lot of heart in the film, but I’m really worried this trailer is going to turn people off even more so than the Aladdin ones did. We’ll see.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I like how they spliced the Matchmaker’s dialogue with Mulan in the army and the poster is gorgeous.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Vlad
Collector's Edition

Post by Vlad »

I like it, a lot. :) I'm still kinda skeptical about it missing Mushu, but it looks great. And the actress who plays Mulan looks beautiful. Although I'm not too crazy about her "Match-maker" make-up. And I love the teaser poster. :D The movie looks very good, and I'm very excited to see it.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

The trailer looked really good !

I liked it.

It look ver artistic.

i have a feeling this won't be an Assembly line. But something the Director really cares about.
Clindor
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Clindor »

Wow :shock: It looks so different from the other Disney remakes :o This one really seems to be its own thing! Which feels quite refreshing.. 8) New atmosphere, redefined characters.. So far, so good!
Thank you Disney for bringing a sparkle of originality in this spate of questionable cash-grabbing remakes! :roll:
lucifer

Post by lucifer »

I’ve never been that big of a Mulan fan so I was a bit indifferent when they announced the live action version. That being said, this teaser looks amazing and now i’m surprisingly really looking forward to it.

As far as Mushu goes, I am totally fine with them cutting him. He always annoyed me (I get that’s what his character was supposed to do, but it was grating to me) and I think that would clash with the tone of this remake. Judging by the trailer, it seems to be more serious. I wouldn’t mind if they still included the cricket though.. he was cute. Maybe in a softer portrayal kind of like how the live action Cinderella used the mice and Lucifer.
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

I really liked the teaser. It looks visually stunning, top to bottom. The changes made to the story still give me pause— and it’s already clear from the trailer that this remake is making different choices— but I like the way this teaser felt.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

To he honest, I didn't really like it. The visuals are impressive but I think it lacks a certain "Disney magic". It feels somber and emotionally sterile. I didn't like the interaction between Mulan and her father. It lacked any sort of warmth and affection. He seems like the typical traditional, strict dad who doesn't really care about his daughter or her dreams. I fear the special bond betwen them will be gone and he won't be portrayed in a positive light. I also didn't like that Mulan seems interested in being a warrior from the beginning and had training in martial arts before she joined the army (unless I misunderstood the footage). The point was for her to not be competent and great from the start but learn and adapt. I didn't like they removed her grandma or that they added a sister. The matchmaker seems devoid of any personality. I did like that Mulan isn't enthused over the prospect of having an arranged marriage.

Her saying she will "bring honor to us all", a meta reference to the song annoyed me knowing the songs were cut. The same goes for the instrumental version of "Reflection" that played over the footage. I find it hypocritical of them to use the songs in the trailer for nostalgia and ambiance but not deem them worthy enough to be included in the film itself.

I like the poster and how it tries to replicate the original VHS cover but I would have preferred if the sword's blade was larger and placed right in the middle of her face for better symmetry.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Sotiris wrote: Her saying she will "bring honor to us all", a meta reference to the song annoyed me knowing the songs were cut. The same goes for the instrumental version of "Reflection" played over the footage. I find it hypocritical of them to use the songs for nostalgia and ambiance in the trailer but not deem them worthy enough to be included in the film itself.
Wow, I don't know how it flew over my head that that was "Reflection" playing in the background! They really slowed it down. Even though I hope they change their mind and at least have a sung version of "Reflection" at the end, the song is still gorgeous even when it's only a melody. Unrelated, but writing this post reminded me of how Jim Brickman's "Reflection" piano cover turned out to be the best song on his Disney album, imo.

I just had another random thought. It's too bad this film wasn't a proper musical, because I'd have loved Christina to return with a new song at the end like Celine did with B&tB. Christina Aguilera is one of my absolute favorite pop artists and I always associate this film with the beginning of her career, and seeing the music video on the Disney Channel all the time when I was a child.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

I thought it looked neat. I'd rather they do original stuff with the stories rather than copy the animated film scene by scene.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

its alright, I agree that it looks like every Chinese cinema action flick that my BIL loves to watch. I get why they removed Mushu but I would have liked some kind of dragon in this film(I mean, if they're gonna have a witch, why not.) I still don't get why they had to remove Shang though. :(
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

nomad2010 wrote:It doesn’t look any different from any other Chinese epic.
It particularly reminded me of House of Flying Daggers.
thedisneyspirit wrote:I'd rather they do original stuff with the stories rather than copy the animated film scene by scene.
Not me. I want my Disney remakes as faithful as possible. Not in a slavish, shot-for-shot way though. Within reason. Expand the story where it makes sense but preserve all the important narrative elements, characters, and story beats. Most of these properties are in the public domain so let other studios do radically different takes on the material and have Disney make remakes that are unmistakably Disney.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I adored the teaser! I always felt that the legend of Mulan was better suited for live-action than animation, and this teaser just reinforced that. Disney shoehorned in magical elements like the ancestors and dragon into the animated film, but removing them really gives Mulan's actual story a chance to breathe. Although I've liked and loved previous remakes of Walt's classics and the early Renaissance films, I think the remakes that most deserve to be made are of Disney's lesser classics like The Black Cauldron, Pete's Dragon, and this film. They were flawed the first time around so this is a great opportunity to fix what needs to be fixed and Mulan was full of anachronistic and culturally inaccurate elements that have really aged the film. Not to mention stereotypical jokes about gender that automatically date the film to the 90s. I'm so excited for this film now especially with the gorgeous poster because I always loved the Mulan VHS/DVD cover.

Wish we could have seen Gong Li as the witch. She's one of my favorite actresses and I can't wait to see her in costume. Shan Yu was such a bore of a villain from the 90s so she'll automatically be a step up but I'd love to see a classic Disney villainess again. I think it was said that they're going to find ways to make her sympathetic so that'll be intriguing to say the least.
Sotiris wrote:To he honest, I didn't really like it. The visuals are impressive but I think it lacks a certain "Disney magic". It feels somber and emotionally sterile. I didn't like the interaction between Mulan and her father. It lacked any sort of warmth and affection. He seems like the typical traditional, strict dad who doesn't really care about his daughter or her dreams. I fear the special bond betwen them will be gone and he won't be portrayed in a positive light. I also didn't like that Mulan seems interested in being a warrior from the beginning and had training in martial arts before she joined the army (unless I misunderstood the footage). The point was for her to not be competent and great from the start but learn and adapt. I didn't like they removed her grandma or that they added a sister. The matchmaker seems devoid of any personality. I did like that Mulan isn't enthused with the possibility of having an arranged marriage.

Her saying she will "bring honor to us all", a meta reference to the song annoyed me knowing the songs were cut. The same goes for the instrumental version of "Reflection" that played over the footage. I find it hypocritical of them to use the songs in the trailer for nostalgia and ambiance but not deem them worthy enough to be included in the film itself.
To address a few of your concerns, I've read Chinese viewers complain about Mulan and Fa Zhou's relationship in the animated film. Apparently in Chinese culture, once a girl passes puberty, it's not considered acceptable for a father and daughter to physically embrace and show affection so that's probably why you feel the father so far is so aloof. It's just different cultural standards.

The Mulan from most of the legends tended to be pretty athletic and physical from the very beginning, unlike the Disney version which portrays her as a klutz. In fact, most Chinese viewers are used to that version so the Disney version turned them off because she should already have been trained beforehand. I find the Chinese version more realistic anyway than a clumsy and inexperienced girl suddenly joining the army and somehow becoming the best warrior and fighter out of all of them.

Has the grandmother officially been excluded? I liked her in the animated film, but even if she was in the remake, she would never be anything like the original considering she was the most panned element of the film after Mushu. I'm not the biggest fan of a sister's inclusion though because I don't remember her in any of the Mulan stories I've read. Usually Mulan has a little brother or something, but I think someone in this thread posted that there is a version or two featuring Mulan with a sister, in which case I'm fine with it. She'll probably have some relevance rather than just being ham-fisted in.

The matchmaker is another character who probably works better in animation than live-action. I'm not very familiar with Chinese humor but it's possible they wouldn't care much for her portrayal since they didn't like Chi Fu. I wouldn't be surprised if Po, Ling, and Yao are heavily revamped as well since their style of humor relies more on gags which I'm assuming is a more westernized style of humor.

I don't think it's hypocritical to use the theme of Reflection in the background. Just because none of the characters will be belting out ballads doesn't mean the songs won't be used in the musical score of the film and work as themes for the characters. It's possible that they specifically used Reflection in the teaser to appease people who were complaining about the exclusion of songs or maybe even influence them into thinking that the songs won't be removed.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

I wish Disney cared less about what china thinks. It's not that great of a country anyway.

And all of my favorite parts of the orginal movie were disliked in china. So i am sad they removed to appeal tro that country they could just have changed these elenets to be more culturely respectful not remooved them altogether.

For the recored my favorite parts were Mushu , the Ancestors spirits and the grandma.

All three seems to be gone.

But at least as a movie on it's own it looksreally good.

my least favorite parts were jokes about Mulan trying to act like a man since the relay on serotypes of the masculine qualities are.

Also again i wish James Hong hade some kind of role in the movie. He is still active in movies and tv !

Ming-Na Wen should also have role of some kind.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. proved she was a good live action actress too.

Maybe she was in other live action stuff but i just know the former show and the Van Dame Street Fighter movie which from all i have seen looks like pardoy of big action movies rather than actual one. it seems so ridiculous
Jules
Diamond Edition

Post by Jules »

Sotiris wrote:
thedisneyspirit wrote:I'd rather they do original stuff with the stories rather than copy the animated film scene by scene.
Not me. I want my Disney remakes as faithful as possible. Not in a slavish, shot-for-shot way though. Within reason. Expand the story where it makes sense but preserve all the important narrative elements, characters, and story beats. Most of these properties are in the public domain so let other studios do radically different takes on the material and have Disney make remakes that are unmistakably Disney.
I’m with DisneySpirit on this. Even if the remake is not a slavish shot-for-shot recreation of the animated original - as you described it - I find its merits very much reduced if it makes much reference to the original film. Hence, I approve of the direction Disney is taking with Mulan. As Clindor aptly put it, it appears to be “its own thing.” I feel that should be the philosophy behind every Disney remake even if it is an unpopular opinion. :wink:

EDIT: I can’t seem to get ‘quote within a quote’ to work. How frustrating! :x