DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:34 am 
Platinum Edition

I wouldn't be satisfied until there was a home video release of the whole amazing show.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:56 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I know this may seem off-topic, but I finally saw the entire Berlin-version on YouTube (with subtitles of course, despite that German have similarities to Norwegian). I liked it, but it wasn't that different from The King's Academy version (which I saw on YouTube two years ago). But frankly, I liked the Berlin-version better. It gave the opening chants of "Bells of Notre Dame" more justice, as well with "Hellfire" and had "Balancing Act". But the thing I'll liked most from King's Academy version was "The Court of Miracles", which wasn't included in the Berlin version. Either way, I liked that Berlin-version gave the characters more depth. And Esmeralda obviously dies in that one

Quote:
Gringoire was just as bad. Probably WORSE, actually, that little goat fucker. Seriously. He was WAY too into Djali. Saving the goat's life at the end and leaving Esmeralda to be taken by Frollo. If he had helped her then, the way SHE helped him in the Court of Miracles, she might have lived. But all he cared about was absconding with her goat. Creep.

For some reason Gringoire is my favorite character in the book. He's flawed, but I've always thought of him as a fun, mischevious and a quite optimistic character, actually. He looked for the best in most of the situations and was intriguing.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 12:57 pm 
Platinum Edition

Further details about the cast recording have been released.

Recording Of Hunchback of Notre Dame Stage Show to be Released
http://www.laughingplace.com/w/news/201 ... -released/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:54 pm 
Limited Edition

So happy that we get a CD recording at least, even though this show deserves to be on Broadway. I would rather see Hunchback get a Broadway run, then Pinocchio...

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:42 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Just wondering, ProfessorRatigan; Which song of the new "Hunchback"-show is your favorite?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:42 pm 
Platinum Edition

I love the cover for the album.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:16 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we're getting a cast recording of the show. But I think the album cover looks too plain. I mean, come on. Surely, they could've given us something like their past cast recording covers, like Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Lion King... Even the original cover art of the cast recording o Mary Poppins (a silhouette of the title characters formed from a bunch of cherry blossoms) was pretty unique.

Come on, Disney. Surely you can do better than this. :|

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 3:24 pm 
Limited Edition

I'm sure (I hope at least!) that the cover is just a placeholder, and that the final cover will be revealed later:)

Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:03 pm 
Collector's Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
Just wondering, ProfessorRatigan; Which song of the new "Hunchback"-show is your favorite?

Oh, gee. I really like nearly everything. I haven't gotten around to hearing the NEW 'new' songs (the ones written especially for the English translation: Flight Into Egypt or the new In a Place of Miracles) so I can't comment on those. But I love Esmeralda, the Act 1 Finale, and Quasimodo's Made of Stone. I can't wait for the release of the album to hear all these songs with crisp, clear audio, instead of murky internet bootlegs.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:54 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Quote:
Oh, gee. I really like nearly everything. I haven't gotten around to hearing the NEW 'new' songs (the ones written especially for the English translation: Flight Into Egypt or the new In a Place of Miracles) so I can't comment on those. But I love Esmeralda, the Act 1 Finale, and Quasimodo's Made of Stone. I can't wait for the release of the album to hear all these songs with crisp, clear audio, instead of murky internet bootlegs.

I like most of the new songs as well. Strangely enough, they didn't left an impression on me when I saw the show initially. But they've grown on me. I love "Balancing Act" and "On Top of the World". "Made of Stone" is indeed powerful, perhaps the most powerful song besides "Bells of Notre Dame" and "Hellfire". But it makes me cold for some reason.

What do you think about the German stage show in general? Do you think it enhances/improves the Disney version?

And just a note; My blog about "Hunchback" was NOT supposed to be an review. It was supposed to be an analysis. Yes, it may seem strange not nitpick about it, but I made it clear in my writing that it was NOT supposed to be an review (and if you actually read it, you noticed that my writing was not constructed as an review at all). So therefore, I'm stating it right now.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:13 pm 
Limited Edition

I can't wait to hear it! Hopefully, it will be as intense as the German cast recording!

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:14 pm 
Platinum Edition

Menken confirms that Hunchback is not coming to Broadway. :(

Alan Menken wrote:
With Newsies, we were honestly not thinking past anything but Papermill. With Hunchback - which I was so proud of, everyone was saying it's going to Broadway - but it's actually going for regional and amateur stock licensing, which is what it was designed for. There are so many factors outside of my control about what happens from here. I've trained myself not to think about it. It's too much energy and emotional energy to think about where we'll go next.
Source: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/In ... e-20150710

Stephen Schwartz also says that Hunchback will not be coming to Broadway.

Quote:
In a Union-Tribune interview after the discussion, Schwartz noted that "Hunchback" is now about to be licensed for regional productions. That serves as more or less final confirmation that the show will not, as had once been speculated, receive a Broadway run (despite a Change.org petition drive launched by a fan from Vista).

And Schwartz seemed fine with that development: "What one wants for any show is for it have a (continued) life, wherever that may be", he said. Still, Schwartz couldn't help but note that this means "the two best shows I've done have never played New York."

Two best shows? Yes, Schwartz plays favorites. And to him, the best examples of his work in musical theater are "Hunchback" and the biblically based 1991 piece "Children of Eden," with music and lyrics by Schwartz and a book by John Caird.

Schwartz said his reasons for choosing those two are necessarily subjective, but come down to how well each show fulfilled its artistic mission.
Source: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/new ... uild-2015/

Schwartz said one of the issues the musical didn't make it to Broadway was because of its big choir.

Quote:
Q: Children of Eden has enjoyed enduring success in the community and educational theater circuit. Will you ever make an attempt to bring it on or Off-Broadway?

Stephen Schwartz: Well, the problem with Children of Eden is its size. It is written as a semi-oratorio, which means it has a big chorus that sings. So, in some ways it's similar to the issue with Hunchback of Notre Dame, which also is big because of the choir for Broadway. I mean, people always think Broadway shows as being sort of the biggest production. But actually, they're not because of the expense. You're actually limited in cast size and orchestra size, and there are bigger things, and much more you can do in other productions. For instance, the show that I've just done in Vienna has an orchestra of 35 people, which for Broadway you said I'd like to have basically The Magic Flute orchestra for this, you'd be laughed out of the room.
Source: http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BW ... e-20161011

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Well.... At least it'll get to see the stage light nationwide in some form. :(

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:43 pm 
Platinum Edition

That's very sad. I have hopes that someday it will come to Broadway, though. Someday...when we are wiser...when the world's older...when we have learned...

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:50 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney Duster wrote:
Someday...when we are wiser...when the world's older...when we have learned...

Haha.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:08 am 
Platinum Edition

Oh thats a shame ! Was looking forward to seeing more of it. His attitude is good though, and they way he looks at things. You could end up getting caught up in every little bit of negativity that comes your way otherwise *cough*ThePrincess&theFrog/TheSnowQueen*cough*

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:08 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Not surprised. I watched the La Jolla one via bootleg and wasn't impressed. Gorgeous music & top notch acting, but the direction and the book are horrible. Recently saw Paper Mill via bootleg. Some improvements, some scenes were made worse. Felt nothing at the ending. The problem is Hunchback needs a series book & GRAND, BIG direction for an epic tale. The HUNCHBACK JR. narration ruins the book & the direction was community theatre at best. They needed an expert for the direction and not a newcomer who only got the gig because his dad writes the music (Harsh, I know :oops: ). I want to see this on Broadway so badly ONLY if the production is right. What we saw was a good beginning or first draft, but not enough for Broadway. It would have been another TLM/Tarzan if they took what we saw on Broadway

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:50 pm 
Platinum Edition

Atlantica wrote:
Oh thats a shame ! Was looking forward to seeing more of it. His attitude is good though, and they way he looks at things. You could end up getting caught up in every little bit of negativity that comes your way otherwise *cough*ThePrincess&theFrog/TheSnowQueen*cough*

I think being removed from those projects is what helped him to "train himself" not to expect much respect from Disney these days.

I almost wonder if M&C wouldn't have asked for Menken to be a part of Moana, but were refused. (Just like they were refused when they wanted it in 2D.)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:05 pm 
Platinum Edition

PHOTOS: ‘The Hunchback of Notre Dame’ Cast Recording Session, Available January 2016
http://www.stitchkingdom.com/disney-pho ... 016-78495/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2015 3:30 pm 
Limited Edition

Bummed about this not getting a Broadway release. But: At least we will get a soundtrack release in English! And, at least now there does excist a full Hunchback stage show in English. Maybe this will make it easier for Disney Theatrical to bring Hunchback to Broadway someday in the future, even in years from now.

Disney Theatrical could edit the script some more and make a few tweaks, and maybe even get Menken and Scwartz write a new song or three, but there are plenty of songs to be sung - so the musical foundation for a Broadway show is clearly there. Let's hope for a future Broadway run for this show!

I wonder: What Alan Menken/Stephen Schwartz musical will play on Broadway first? Pocahontas, Huncback or Enchanted? I belive that at least one Menken/Schwartz show will end up on Broadway at some point...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next