DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:22 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

HUNCHBACK IS OFFICIALLY COMING!!!!

Quote:
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Stage Adaptation Developmental Lab Set For 2014! Auditions Announced & Dates Set
October 25

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Stage Adaptation Developmental Lab Set For 2014! Auditions Announced & Dates SetModern Disney animated classic THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME is on its way to the stage in a reworked adaptation of the film and Victor Hugo's iconic 1831 source novel set for a developmental lab in January according to a new casting notice. If all goes as planned, could Broadway be next?! That is, if the proposed tryout regional run goes well (as it certainly did for ALADDIN, which is on its way to Broadway now)?

Scott Schwartz is set to direct the HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME lab set for January 6 through 17, complete with the first presentation of a new book for the musical by Peter Parnell, outfitted with the songs from the 1996 film and 1999 original German stage adaptation by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz. Auditions for the lab will be held next month.

The official breakdown of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME developmental lab is as follows: "Disney Theatrical Productions is currently developing The Hunchback of Notre Dame into a new stage musical based on Victor Hugo's famous 1831 novel and the 1996 Disney animated feature. This is a reinvention of the 1999 German production Der Glockner von Notre Dame, with an eye toward a possible regional theatre production. This new approach to the material incorporates a "story theatre" style of dramatization in an intimate staging. The epic tale is set in late 15th century Paris. The Hunchback of Notre Dame investigates "what makes a monster and what makes a man." This musical features the Oscar nominated score by Alan Menken (music) and Stephen Schwartz (lyrics) with a new book by Peter Parnell."

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Au ... b-20131025

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:36 pm 
Limited Edition

disneyprincess11 wrote:

Quote:
THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Stage Adaptation Developmental Lab Set For 2014! Auditions Announced & Dates Set
October 25

THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME Stage Adaptation Developmental Lab Set For 2014! Auditions Announced & Dates SetModern Disney animated classic THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME is on its way to the stage in a reworked adaptation of the film and Victor Hugo's iconic 1831 source novel set for a developmental lab in January according to a new casting notice. If all goes as planned, could Broadway be next?! That is, if the proposed tryout regional run goes well (as it certainly did for ALADDIN, which is on its way to Broadway now)?

Scott Schwartz is set to direct the HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME lab set for January 6 through 17, complete with the first presentation of a new book for the musical by Peter Parnell, outfitted with the songs from the 1996 film and 1999 original German stage adaptation by Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz. Auditions for the lab will be held next month.

The official breakdown of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME developmental lab is as follows: "Disney Theatrical Productions is currently developing The Hunchback of Notre Dame into a new stage musical based on Victor Hugo's famous 1831 novel and the 1996 Disney animated feature. This is a reinvention of the 1999 German production Der Glockner von Notre Dame, with an eye toward a possible regional theatre production. This new approach to the material incorporates a "story theatre" style of dramatization in an intimate staging. The epic tale is set in late 15th century Paris. The Hunchback of Notre Dame investigates "what makes a monster and what makes a man." This musical features the Oscar nominated score by Alan Menken (music) and Stephen Schwartz (lyrics) with a new book by Peter Parnell."

WHEE! :dance:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:05 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

disneyprincess11 wrote:

Quote:
October 25

Awesome. Now I'm just hoping they don't kill off Esmeralda for real (let alone kill her off and then automatically have her come back from the dead without explanation).

Last edited by DisneyJedi on Sun Oct 27, 2013 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 2:15 am 
Limited Edition

Even though that I'm truly happy that Hunchback will finally premiere on Broadway soon. I'm worried about the book writer who created the tedious and god-awful new book to the musical On A Clear Day You Can See Forever. :huh:

Hopefully Peter Parnell did learn his lesson.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:59 am 
Platinum Edition

Ooooooo now that is exciting!!!!

But are Disney trying to take over Broadway now as well?? They are everywhere !

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:06 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Atlantica, they've been doing Broadway since Beauty and the Beast made its stage debut back in 1994.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:58 pm 
Platinum Edition

Yes, I'm aware of how long they have done broadway for. I'm just commenting on the fact they seem to be having a pathora of shows now all coming to Broadway.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:08 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Heck, a large chunk of the shows that premiere on Broadway now are basically adaptations of movies. Disney obviously weren't the first to do that (Little Shop of Horrors, Nine, Sunset Boulevard), but they seemed to help in more and more Broadway musicals being film adaptations. I think we can credit The Lion King and Mel Brooks' The Producers for the popularity of this current trend.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 6:10 pm 
Limited Edition

estefan wrote:
Heck, a large chunk of the shows that premiere on Broadway now are basically adaptations of movies. Disney obviously weren't the first to do that (Little Shop of Horrors, Nine, Sunset Boulevard), but they seemed to help in more and more Broadway musicals being film adaptations. I think we can credit The Lion King and Mel Brooks' The Producers for the popularity of this current trend.

Agreed! :D

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:19 am 
Platinum Edition

Playhouse to premiere 'Hunchback'
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/jan ... k-musical/

Michael Arden and Patrick Page Will Star in Hunchback of Notre Dame at La Jolla Playhouse, Complete Cast Announced
http://www.playbill.com/news/article/mi ... me-at-la-j

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:49 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Sotiris wrote:

You beat me to it. :P So, I'm guessing Huunchback will either within a year like Newsies or 3 years like Aladdin, so around 2015-2017, it'll come to Broadway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:13 am 
Platinum Edition

The UK please please please please please !!!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 7:35 pm 
Platinum Edition

Stephen Schwartz comments on the stage production in a new interview.

Quote:
He also announced that a stage production of the Disney movie “Hunchback of Notre Dame” will have its first production later this year.

“We just did an extremely successful workshop in New York and consequently the first production is going to happen in the fall in a theater in California called the La Jolla Playhouse. That would be in October and we’ll see what happens there,” he said.
Source: http://news.abs-cbn.com/lifestyle/02/06 ... ea-salonga

Also, the logo for the Playhouse production has been released.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:20 pm 
Collector's Edition

Seriously? That's the logo?

Let me say this, Hunchback of Notre Dame is my all time favorite Disney soundtrack. I love all the songs (which the exception of A Guy like You).
Everything about those songs is amazing. The orchestration, the lyrics, the choir, the visuals.. It's all just spectacular.
I remember two years ago wishing that we'd get a Broadway run. And now I'm happy. :)

Just a question for those of you who are experts in the theater department.
I really wanna go see this show, should I go see it when they preform in California or should I wait till they go to Broadway?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:41 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

Not only is the logo gawdy, but it's also horribly/lazily Photoshopped. I hope the official Broadway logo is much better. :roll:

And taei, I think you can do either way. I'm going to NYC in May for Aladdin (my second show is unknown), but I saw If/Then's Pre-Broadway run in DC since that's my local area. If you want to see the final result, wait for Broadway. But, it's cool and historical to see a pre-Broadway run! :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:48 pm 
Limited Edition

Here's an audio of Patrick Page singing the second half of "Hellfire". My GOD he sounds a bit like Tony Jay. :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

And that's our Frollo! :D :dance:

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/BR ... wqztYWhbhc

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:55 pm 
Limited Edition

OH MY GOD! He's perfect! I bet he'll get a Tony for that role. :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:23 pm 
Collector's Edition

What's the advantage of going to the pre-broadway shows?
Cause I heard that they sometime have technical difficulties and problems in them.

The guy playing Frollo is amazing, but I'm interested in who's going to do Quasimodo. I always thought Tom Hulce had a great voice!

As for the title treatment... What was wrong with this?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:38 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

TsWade2 wrote:
OH MY GOD! He's perfect! I bet he'll get a Tony for that role. :wink:

It's a really safe bet that anyone who's Frollo has a strong chance of winning a Tony. Frollo is a huge, psychopathic role and it demands a strong actor.

And in fact, I think HUNCHBACK will be the "revenge" show for Disney with the Tony's, not Aladdin.

Quote:
What's the advantage of going to the pre-broadway shows?
Cause I heard that they sometime have technical difficulties and problems in them.

-You don't have to go through the hassle of making arrangements to NYC. If it's there at home, you might as well see it and buy time. If I waited for IF/THEN for NYC, I would have to be forced to choose between that and CINDERELLA (Which I was supposed to see with Santino/Prince Hans in it :glare: :glare: :glare: :glare: ) for my second show.
-You get to see deleted songs and parts of the musicals
-Again, you're a part of theatre history.

As for the typography, it's not really the style, it's how it's laid out. It looks awkward.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next