A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: A Wrinkle in Time (2018)

Post by D82 »

DisneyEra wrote:They moved Ralph Breaks the Internet/Cancelled Gigantic for this? I know Disney has money to burn, but this is getting ridiculous! They should invest that money in new Animated Features. If your film isn't apart of the MCU/Star Wars or a Live-Action Animated reboot chances are your feature is going to bomb. Whoever at Disney is producing Artemis Fowl should be very worried :x

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lone-los ... 38977.html

Well, it seems Disney is trying to reduce that deficit a bit. The film is returning to US theaters this Mother's Day weekend:

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/994623103413010432
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

D82 wrote:
DisneyEra wrote:They moved Ralph Breaks the Internet/Cancelled Gigantic for this? I know Disney has money to burn, but this is getting ridiculous! They should invest that money in new Animated Features. If your film isn't apart of the MCU/Star Wars or a Live-Action Animated reboot chances are your feature is going to bomb. Whoever at Disney is producing Artemis Fowl should be very worried :x

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/lone-los ... 38977.html

Well, it seems Disney is trying to reduce that deficit a bit. The film is returning to US theaters this Mother's Day weekend:

https://twitter.com/Disney/status/994623103413010432
They should focus more International, that's what hurt the movie.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

DisneyEra wrote:They should focus more International, that's what hurt the movie.

Wow, I didn't know the international numbers were so bad compared to the domestic ones. I hadn't checked its box office results since the movie opened, I think. Maybe it performed better in the States because the book is probably more popular there. I think it hasn't been successful in my country either, but when I went to see Avengers: Infinity War last week I was surprised that it was still playing in the cinema I usually go to two months after it was released. Maybe it's because there aren't many alternatives for families right now. I don't know.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

I think I have already mentioned it, but the movie will not even be released in my country. Not in places like Japan or China either, except for Hong Kong. And when a movie is not available for the audience, it will obviously not make any money.

Compare Avengers with A Wrinkle in Time:

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4154756/re ... =tt_ov_inf

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1620680/re ... =tt_ov_inf

But being released in a country doesn't say much either. Star Wars and Avengers is shown on a big screen several times a day over a long period of time.

Now, compare that with a movie like Ender's Game. There was hardly any promotion and marketing at all, so many were simply not aware of it. It was shown just once a day late in the evening (9 PM) on the smallest screen for no more than a just a single week. And I live in one of the largest cities in my country. If that's the treatment the movie got in other countries as well, then no wonder it was a flop.

I haven't seen A Wrinkle in Time, for obvious reasons, but it will never make any money when the theatres refuse to give it a chance.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^ Yes, I remember you mentioned that. It's a shame the movie wasn't released in your country. In Spain, there are also movies that don't get theatrical releases and go straight to home video. Usually, they're movies that weren't successful domestically or types of films that are not popular here. But, who decides that a film won't be released in a country? In the cases of it getting few showings or playing for a short period of time, the theater is clearly to blame. But if the film is not played at all, is it the distribution company that decides not to release it in that country or some organization from said country like a national exhibitors association? I always thought it was the former, but maybe I'm wrong.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

To be honest, I'm not sure who makes the decisions. But since the release dates all over the world are usually announced even before a domestic premiere, those who decides not to release it doesn't do it based on how well or bad it is doing domestically.

It's true that the novel is not that famous here, many have never heard about it, but that should be irrelevant as there are movies based on original ideas that do get a chance.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:To be honest, I'm not sure who makes the decisions. But since the release dates all over the world are usually announced even before a domestic premiere, those who decides not to release it doesn't do it based on how well or bad it is doing domestically.
Well, that's true. Maybe they decide that based on how similar movies had performed in those countries before. Anyway, I agree with you that they should give the films a chance.
kbehm29
Anniversary Edition

Post by kbehm29 »

Revised review: now that I’ve had a chance to rewatch this, true disappointment has set in. The people most interested in this movie are FANS OF THE BOOK. The changes the writers made are too drastic and don’t make sense! They would have been much better off staying faithful to the book. I wanted this to be a success so badly (just like John Carter). Ugh.
Disneyland Trips: 1983, 1992, 1995, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2008, 2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, Aug 2018
Walt Disney World Trips: 1999, 2007, 2011, 2014, 2016, ~Dec 2018~, ~Apr 2019~
Favorite Disney Movies: Peter Pan, 101 Dalmatians, Tangled, The Princess and the Frog, Enchanted, FROZEN
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

How ‘Incredibles 2’ Helped ‘A Wrinkle in Time’ Hit $100 Million at the Box Office
https://variety.com/2018/film/box-offic ... 202849353/
It turns out the movie got a helping hand from some Pixar superheroes. Disney paired “A Wrinkle in Time” with “Incredibles 2” for most drive-ins, according the studio, which contributed to the box office boost. In cases where both movies played as a double feature, Disney tallied that revenue to each of the two releases, dividing the haul after the weekend.
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

I just rented the movie. I've never read the book or seen the other adaptations. The movie was ok, but I guess devoid of much emotion or character development or bonding or relationships and that's why it wan't so good? But it wasn't awful like the news and people's word had me fear. The film had a lot of imagination and visual coolness and I thought the jokes were fine. And I really felt something at the "it's love" moment for tessering.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Out of the ten most tweeted movies of 2018, only A Winkle in Time underperformed at the box office. Interesting.

Source: https://twitter.com/asadayaz/status/1070483667414204416
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Oprah likely played a big role in that. Such a shame. Why couldn't it have been a small success at least? Gah.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Was this movie REALLY as bad as people say ?

Or are just crtics hard beacuse the Director is a black Woman and the hero is Black Girl ? :cry:

Should i see this movie ? :o
Mmmadelon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Mmmadelon »

I saw it and I really did not like it. I wasn't familiar with the book so maybe that didn't help, but I thought the story was so vague and I wasn't emotionally invested with the main characters at all. (positive note: I did like Storm Reid in the movie)
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I've read the original book which I'm a big fan of and this remake did not do justice to the book's themes at all.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

DisneyFan97 wrote:Was this movie REALLY as bad as people say ?

Or are just crtics hard beacuse the Director is a black Woman and the hero is Black Girl ? :cry:

Should i see this movie ? :o
I personally liked it for what it was... Not the greatest thing in the world, but not bad. Clearly many others didn't agree though. :lol: I would still watch it and judge for yourself.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Someone just mentioned to me that Jennifer Lee is the screenwriter. This is just another proof of how a terrible screenwriter she really is. I actually worry about future WDAS films now that she's in charge.

DisneyFan97, I wouldn't watch this unless you like to waste your time on awful movies.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I was excited for A Wrinkle in Time, but I sadly found myself underwhelmed. But I agree with Disney's Divinity and watch and judge it for yourself, DisneyFan97. You're your own person with your unique opinions, after all.

I think the book is just really tricky to adapt due to the book's many ideas and its plot structure. The book is also very exposition heavy, as the author has all of these fantastical ideas and a lot of it has to be described to us. And I found L'Engle's prose to be a tad dry, especially compared to someone like J.K. Rowling, who brings a bit more of a whimsical sensibility to her descriptions. I thought film would be the most fitting medium for the story and while Ava DuVernay and Jennifer Lee tried their best, I guess it just didn't translate to the screen. Reading the book, I actually found myself thinking that someone like Hayao Miyazaki could do wonders with it.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity

estefan wrote: Reading the book, I actually found myself thinking that someone like Hayao Miyazaki could do wonders with it.
Yes, I think so, too. It's not a book that was ever going to easily translate to film, imo.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:Someone just mentioned to me that Jennifer Lee is the screenwriter. This is just another proof of how a terrible screenwriter she really is. I actually worry about future WDAS films now that she's in charge.

DisneyFan97, I wouldn't watch this unless you like to waste your time on awful movies.
Oh lord, that is worrisome and explains so much.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey