Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Discussion Thread

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Fidget1234
Special Edition

Post by Fidget1234 »

Fantasia Sorcerors Apprentice & Nutcracker Suite

Fantasia 2000 Carnival of the Animals & Rhapsody in Blue

:mickeyface:
"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin"
Noriel
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Noriel »

Fantasia:
"The Pastoral Symphony"
"Night on Bald Mountain"

Fantasia 2000:
"Firebird Suite - 1919 Version"
Lazario
Suspended

Fantasia Censorship...

Post by Lazario »

First of all, when I heard about it just being censored, I thought the new Disney were the biggest bunch of ingrates in the world and how could they do that... Then I watched it and I thought I knew exactly what I would read that they cut out...

But I was surprised to discover that it wasn't what I expected at all. They cut out black centaurs??

Does anyone know if they did anything to the pair of boobs we see in Night On Bald Mountain? And no I'm not confused, this isn't a mistaken reference to The Rescuers. No, there are a pair of boobs on one of the flying aparitions / demons that rush by the camera and they are impossible to miss. I don't have a problem with this at all personally, but would anyone know whether they cut that out too, or not?
4 Disney Atmosphere Images
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

As far as I can telll, the nipples of the flying demon-thingy have not been messed with at all, but I find it odd that they were included in the first place when the centaurette characters weren't allowed to have any.

Out of curiosity, what kind of censorship were you expecting to see?
drnilescrane
Gold Classic Collection

Post by drnilescrane »

I got Fantasia 2000 out from the video store (they didn't have it in DVD... Dam) for the long weekend, feeling depressed from having to sit through Madagascar.

Admittedly I am a huge Disney fan but never liked Fantasia. I just found it a pain to sit through for my liking. Thus being human I didn't even bother to watch Fantasia 2000 when it came out in the IMAX theatres.

BIGGEST MISTAKE OF MY LIFE!

As soon as Roy came onto the screen, I realised this wasn't the same as the first. The visual design for the introductions is breathtaking. The effort that went into the segments is amazing. Even Pomp and Circumstance turned out well (having read DisneyWar I wasn't expecting much). I sat there for the whole film mesmerised with the color and music. My only grevance is it was too short. Another segment could of done well, as would gettring rid of the comedic hosts and going for someone like Anne to do the whole thing.

I ordered the Fantasia Anthology straight away from AMAZON (Dam Used Copy...)
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

Then, Dr, maybe it's time to rediscover the original Fantasia?
drnilescrane
Gold Classic Collection

Post by drnilescrane »

Thats why I ordered the Anthology rather than just 2000 on DVD.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Sunset Girl wrote:Out of curiosity, what kind of censorship were you expecting to see?
Well I said I thought the boobs would be taken out. I haven't seen the new DVD yet. But I just might buy it, making it my very 1st Disney DVD. But forget Fantasia 2000, I'm not dishing out any extra money to own a new Disney movie when they still sell the Anniversary edition of Fantasia separately.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Lazario wrote:
Sunset Girl wrote:Out of curiosity, what kind of censorship were you expecting to see?
Well I said I thought the boobs would be taken out. I haven't seen the new DVD yet. But I just might buy it, making it my very 1st Disney DVD. But forget Fantasia 2000, I'm not dishing out any extra money to own a new Disney movie when they still sell the Anniversary edition of Fantasia separately.
Oh, I see, you didn't realize they were never there to begin with. They exist in the pre-production artwork though, and the final version that ended up on the screen seemed to have lost its integrity; it was so light and fluffy in comparison.

Actually, I'd recommend buying the set if you can find it at a reasonable price; the anthology disc is probably my favorite set of bonus features ever. There is so much amazing material, things I never even knew existed (like the journal of a former Disney artist that chronicled the creation of the special effects).

Maybe you can rent it somewhere first to see if it's worth it to you?
Lars Vermundsberget
Collector's Edition

Post by Lars Vermundsberget »

drnilescrane wrote:Thats why I ordered the Anthology rather than just 2000 on DVD.
In my opinion, you have something to look forward to there.

But it's not always easy to tell when is the right time, so to speak... The first time I watched Fantasia in the early 90s I kept wondering "When is anything going to happen here?" But I eventually learnt to appreciate the concept of Fantasia more, although I'd say not all of its parts are quite so easy to appreciate individually.

Others may disagree, but to me the best part of the whole Anthology set is "Clair de Lune" found on the supplements disc. Easily worth the price of the whole set.
Wonderlicious
Diamond Edition

Post by Wonderlicious »

pinkrenata wrote:I've always been rather partial to the original.

As for sequences, my favorites are:

Fantasia: Pastorale Symphony
Fantasia 2000: Rhapsody in Blue and Firebird Suite
Strangely, that mirrors my thoughts on the movies. Am I slowly turning into Renata? :roll:

Sadly, I don't have either films on DVD. I saw the Fantasia DVD box set on sale once before it went out of print and wanted to buy it. However, I didn't as not only did I think it would be no use since I had both films on video (hence part of the reason why I have a go at anybody who likes Disney and bonus features yet refuses to buy Disney DVDs despite having money to :headshake:), but I thought that the 3rd disc was missing from the set and that Disney UK were false advertising it since there was no seperate box for it in the slipcase (it was hidden in Fantasia 2000 apparently, again no mention on box :roll:)! I may look for it on E-Bay, but I'm scared of bootleggers so I may as well wait for the platinum edition in six years time or watch my videos slowly decay. :(
Prince Eric
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Eric »

Despite reading tons of review, I'm a bit confused about the Fantasia 2000 concept. :? Exactly, what is it? I know it's a new film with different shorts, but does that mean it's streamlined with the old one? I haven't watched it (Duh!), but I've been getting awfully curious about it lately. Poor to average reviews from my favorite critics have kept me away.

How is the DVD? What more could possibly be on a Fantasia/Fantasia 2000 Special Edition that's not in the Anthology?
The Top 10 Films of 2005:
1) Brokeback Mountain 2) The Squid and the Whale 3) Me And You And Everyone We Know 4) The New World 5) A History of Violence 6) Match Point 7) Munich 8.) Crash 9) Wallace and Gromit 10) Pride & Prejudice
Disney-Fan
Platinum Edition
Location: Where it's flat and immense and the heat is intense

Post by Disney-Fan »

Critics know nothing about entertaining movies. I barely listen to them anyway. The original Fantasia got bad reviews at first too I think!

It's basically built the same as Fantasia with conductor introductions to animated scenes based on music. The only differences are the scenes (obviously) and the level of animation. Don't be fooled, this is NOT a sequel. It doesn't continue old sequences (although Mickey reappears for the Sorcorer's Apprentice). It's a movie in its own right. And a damn (can I say that?) good one may I add! :)
"See, I'm not a monster. I'm just ahead of the curve." - The Joker
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

The Pastoral Symphony scene in the original Fantasia is the only thing that keeps me from really loving the movie. I can't stand it. Even the "Meet the soundtrack" part is more entertaining.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Lazario wrote:The Pastoral Symphony scene in the original Fantasia is the only thing that keeps me from really loving the movie. I can't stand it. Even the "Meet the soundtrack" part is more entertaining.
Aw, don't you like the artwork of Freddie Moore? :(
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I wouldn't say it was the artwork that bugged me the most. I'd have to say it's a combination of the story (or lack of one), and choices of imagery.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Lazario wrote:I wouldn't say it was the artwork that bugged me the most. I'd have to say it's a combination of the story (or lack of one), and choices of imagery.
Okay, whew!
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

I thought the scene was sappy (and I'm not talking Lady and the Tramp sappy, even though I'm not the biggest fan of that movie, I think that's romantic), this is ultra-sweet, sickly, traumatically sappy. I didn't like the cupids at all. I didn't like the little alcoholic fat guy. And the whole scene was just too long, because of course they have to make more animation to go with the overlong piece of music, which I didn't care for either.
Sunset Girl
Anniversary Edition

Post by Sunset Girl »

Lazario wrote:I thought the scene was sappy (and I'm not talking Lady and the Tramp sappy, even though I'm not the biggest fan of that movie, I think that's romantic), this is ultra-sweet, sickly, traumatically sappy. I didn't like the cupids at all. I didn't like the little alcoholic fat guy. And the whole scene was just too long, because of course they have to make more animation to go with the overlong piece of music, which I didn't care for either.
Well, that's an interesting take on it.

To be honest, I never gave much thought to the story on this one, I guess I was too busy enjoying the work of that Freddie Moore, one of my favorite artists of the earlier Disney era. I mean, he's the one that defined what the Disney look was.

Curiosly enough, this was always the most controvercial segment of Fatasia, not only because of the censorship, but because of the interpretation of the music.
Lazario
Suspended

Post by Lazario »

Do you know something about the music, how that composer interpreted it?