DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Mon Jul 13, 2020 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Audio Commentaries.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:42 am 
Collector's Edition

Today i watched Lady and the Tramp with audio commentary.

And i have qustion a question which other Disney animated movies have audio commentary tracks ?

Here are some i think don't have it

The Aristocats

The Rescuers.

The Sword in the Stone

The Fox and the Hound

Robin Hood

the Great Mouse Detective

Here are some bisides Lady and The Tramp that think have

Snow White

Pinocchio

The Emperor's New Groove

and Meet the Robinson.

Post subject: Re: Audio Commentaries.
PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:15 pm 
Platinum Edition

Here is a list of all the commentaries for Disney Animated Classics, along with the first home media format in which it appeared (simultaneous media releases are noted).

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs - animation historian John Canemaker, with archival audio excerpts by Walt Disney (2001 DVD)

Pinocchio - film critic Leonard Maltin, Disney animator Eric Goldberg, and Disney historian J.B. Kaufman, with archival audio excerpts by animators Ward Kimball, Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, and Eric Larson (2009 DVD/Blu-Ray)

Fantasia - animation historian John Canemaker, with archival audio excerpts by Walt Disney (2000 DVD)
Fantasia - Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, and restoration supervisor Scott MacQueen (2000 DVD)
Fantasia - Disney historian Brian Sibley (2010 Blu-Ray)

Dumbo - animation historian John Canemaker (2001 DVD)
Dumbo - Pixar director Pete Docter, Disney historian Paula Sigman, and Disney animator Andreas Deja, with archival audio excerpts by writers Dick Huemer and Joe Grant, animators Ward Kimball, and Wolfgang Reitherman, sound designer Jim MacDonald, and layout artist Ken O’Conner (2010 DVD/Blu-Ray)

Peter Pan - Roy E. Disney, animation historian Jeff Kurtti, with archival audio excerpts by Walt Disney, animators Frank Thomas, Ollie Johnston, Marc Davis, and Ward Kimball, live-action reference model Margaret Kerry, voice actor/live-action reference model Kathryn Beaumont, film historian Leonard Maltin, and animation historian John Canemaker (2002 DVD)

Sleeping Beauty - Disney historian Jeff Kurtti, with archival audio excerpts by production designer/background artist Eyvind Earle, voice actor Mary Costa, supervising animators Ollie Johnston and Marc Davis, background artist Frank Armitage, Pocahontas director Mike Gabriel, and Pocahontas art designer Michael Giaimo (2003 DVD)
Sleeping Beauty - Disney historian Leonard Maltin, Pixar director John Lasseter, Disney animator Andreas Deja, with archival audio excerpts by Walt Disney, production designer Eyvind Earle, and supervising animators Marc Davis, Ollie Johnston, and Frank Thomas (2008 DVD/Blu-Ray)

The Jungle Book - composer/song-writer Richard M. Sherman, supervising pencil animator Andreas Deja and voice actor Bruce Reitherman, with archival audio excerpts by director Wolfgang Reitherman, directing animators Ollie Johnson and Frank Thomas, and co-screenwriter Larry Clemmons (2007 DVD)

The Little Mermaid - writers/directors Ron Clements and John Musker, and composer Alan Menken (2006 DVD)

Beauty and the Beast - producer Hahn, directors Kirk Wise and Gary Trousdale, with archival audio excerpts by composer Alan Menken (2002 DVD)

Aladdin - producer Amy Pell, directors Ron Clements and John Musker (2004 DVD)
Aladdin - supervising animators Andreas Deja, Will Finn, Eric Goldberg, and Glen Keane (2004 DVD)

The Lion King - producer Don Hahn and directors Roger Allers & Rob Minkoff (1995 LD)

Pocahontas - producer James Pentecost, co-directors Mike Gabriel & Eric Goldberg, composer Alan Menken, lyricist Stephen Schwartz, art director Michael Giaimo, and co-writer Carl Binder (1996 LD)
Pocahontas - producer James Pentacost and directors Mike Gabriel & Eric Goldberg (2005 DVD)

The Hunchback of Notre Dame - producer Don Hahn and directors Kirk Wise & Gary Trousdale (1997 LD)

Mulan - producer Pam Coats and directors Tony Bancroft & Barry Cook (2004 DVD)

Tarzan - producer Bonnie Arnold and directors Kevin Lima & Chris Buck (2000 DVD)

Fantasia 2000 - executive producer Roy E. Disney, conductor James Levine, and producer Don Ernst (2000 DVD)
Fantasia 2000 - directors and artists Don Hahn, Pixote Hunt, Hendel Butoy, Dean Gordon, Bill Perkins, Eric Goldberg, Susan Goldberg, Michael Humphries, Roy Disney, Gaëtan Brizzi, Paul Brizzi, and Carl Jones (2000 DVD)

The Emperor's New Groove - producer Randy Fullmer, director Mark Dindal, art director Colin Stimpson, character designer Joseph C. Moshier, story supervisor Stephen Anderson, and supervising animators Nik Ranieri and Bruce W. Smith (2001 DVD)

Atlantis: The Lost Empire - producer Don Hahn and directors Kirk Wise & Gary Trousdale (2001 DVD)

Lilo & Stitch - writers/directors Chris Sanders and Dean DeBlois and producer Clarke Spencer (2002 DVD)

Treasure Planet - directors Ron Clements and John Musker, producer Roy Conli, supervising animators Glen Keane and John Ripa, associate art director Ian Gooding (2003 DVD)

Brother Bear - characters Rutt (Rick Moranis) and Tuke (Dave Thomas) (2004 DVD)

Home on the Range - producer Alice Dewey, director Will Finn and director John Sanford (2004 DVD)

Chicken Little - director Mark Dindal, producer Randy Fullmer and visual effects supervisor Steve Goldberg (2007 Blu-Ray)

Meet the Robinsons - director Stephen J. Anderson (2007 Blu-Ray/DVD)

The Princess and the Frog - co-writers/directors Ron Clements and John Musker, producer Peter Del Vecho (2010 Blu-Ray/DVD)

Moana - directors Ron Clements and John Musker (2017 Blu-Ray)

Looking back, the 1995 LaserDisc commentary on The Lion King would be Disney's oldest for an animated film, while 2017's Blu-Ray commentary on Moana is Disney's most recent, although many latter-day DACs do not have an audio commentary. However, the animators for Tangled recorded an unofficial commentary for their film, released through The Animation Podcast in 2012:

The Animation Podcast: Tangled - Amy Smeed, Adam Dykstra, Jennifer Hager, Miyuki Kanno-Long, Adam Green, Daniel Peixe, John Wong, Zach Parrish, Marlon Nowe, Doug Bennett, Joel Reid, Mark Mitchell, Kira Lehtomaki, Patrick Osborne, Darrin Butters, Becky Bresee, Chris Cordingly, Chadd Ferron, Clay Kaytis, John Kahrs, Chad Sellers, Jason Figliozi, and Malcon Pierce

Finally, not to toot my own horn, but unofficial fan commentaries for Disney films without commentaries can also be found for the following films: (we've also covered some Disney films with commentaries, but I'm only linking to those without)

The Three CommentEARS: Fun and Fancy Free - Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño (2017)

The Three CommentEARS: The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad - Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, Kelvin Cedeño, and Tony Lopez (2014)

The Three CommentEARS: Alice in Wonderland - Pedro Hernandez and Kelvin Cedeño (2016)

The Three CommentEARS: The Sword in the Stone - Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño (2013)

The Three CommentEARS: Robin Hood - Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño (2013)

The Three CommentEARS: Hercules - Albert Gutierrez, Pedro Hernandez, and Kelvin Cedeño (2014)

The podcast is currently on hiatus.

Albert

ETA: amended the entries and included Moana, mistakenly left out of the list

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:19 pm 
Limited Edition

Moana has a commentary by Musker and Clements as well.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 3:52 pm 
Collector's Edition

My dvds of huncback, Pocahontas and Lilo and Sitch has no commentaries.

So i have now bought the American Blu Ray of Hunchback. Because it's not available on european editions.

And soon i will buy the 10th anniversary edition dvd of Pocahontas,

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:56 pm 
Platinum Edition

Just a quick warning, the Pinocchio Cine-Explore commentary (featured on the 2009 Blu-Ray) doesn't work on most Blu-Ray players anymore nor did Disney ever attempt to fix that irksome issue.

DisneyFan97 wrote:

So i have now bought the American Blu Ray of Hunchback. Because it's not available on european editions.

Hunchback only had a commentary on the laserdisc. Pocahontas had one on the laserdisc and a different one on the 10th Anniversary Edition (featuring If I Never Knew You reinserted into the movie). Your version of the film (is it perhaps the Musical Masterpiece Edition) likely doesn't feature it then. Lilo & Stitch's 2-Disc Big Wave Edition in the U.S. features a commentary and it should be identical to the 2-Disc editions released abroad.

"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey

Last edited by JeanGreyForever on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:06 pm 
Limited Edition

hey all,

First off, why wouldnt Disney include the original commentary for Pocahontas on the 10th anniversary release??? It would have cost them nothing!! Sigh...

Now on to something more important: i clicked the link to the Tangled unofficial commentary... and the file is no longer there!

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE FILE SO THEY CAN EMAIL IT TO ME??? PLEASE!!!!

I never knew this existed and Im dying to listen to it. I love Tangled and I love commentaries (seriously). Please! help!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:37 pm 
Collector's Edition

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Just a quick warning, the Pinocchio Cine-Explore commentary (featured on the 2009 Blu-Ray) doesn't work on most Blu-Ray players anymore nor did Disney ever attempt to fix that irksome issue.

DisneyFan97 wrote:

Hunchback only had a commentary on the laserdisc. Pocahontas had one on the laserdisc and a different one on the 10th Anniversary Edition (featuring If I Never Knew You reinserted into the movie). Your version of the film (is it perhaps the Musical Masterpiece Edition) likely doesn't feature it then. Lilo & Stitch's 2-Disc Big Wave Edition in the U.S. features a commentary and it should be identical to the 2-Disc editions released abroad.

You are wrong the Blu Ray of The Hunchback of Notre Dame has a Commentary.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:28 pm 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan97 wrote:
You are wrong the Blu Ray of The Hunchback of Notre Dame has a Commentary.

Oops, you're right. I have a DVD that ported over all of Hunchback's laserdisc features so I wrongfully assumed that the commentary never made the jump to DVD and Blu-Ray like most of the rest of the laserdisc bonus features.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:55 am 
Platinum Edition

Marce82 wrote:
First off, why wouldnt Disney include the original commentary for Pocahontas on the 10th anniversary release??? It would have cost them nothing!! Sigh...

I imagine they didn't see the need for the old commentary since a new one was recorded. They did the same thing for the Blu-Rays of Dumbo and Sleeping Beauty: made a new commentary and didn't include the older DVD track. I preferred the older tracks on those two titles, so I kept the DVDs for them.

A few of Pocahontas's DVD deleted scenes/songs also originally had commentary on the laserdisc, but those weren't ported over. (For that matter, neither was the infamous "shirtless John Smith" pencil animation.)

Marce82 wrote:
Now on to something more important: i clicked the link to the Tangled unofficial commentary... and the file is no longer there!

DOES ANYONE HAVE THE FILE SO THEY CAN EMAIL IT TO ME??? PLEASE!!!!

I never knew this existed and Im dying to listen to it. I love Tangled and I love commentaries (seriously). Please! help!!!!

I can host it on my DropBox for a few days, but I don't plan on keeping it there forever; if anyone else wants it, grab and go now:

Click Here for Tangled Commentary

Albert

WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:17 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

At least the 2002 DVD of Hunchback had the Audio Commentary with it.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:47 pm 
Platinum Edition

One commentary missing from the above list is Through the Keyhole: A Companion's Guide to Wonderland used in the 60th Anniversary Blu-Ray Edition of Alice in Wonderland. It's a picture-in-picture feature that serves as a hybrid between a documentary and a commentary, a bit like the Cine-Explore feature used in Pinocchio, Dumbo, and Sleeping Beauty.

Cinderella's Signature Edition will feature something like Cine-Explore so that will finally get a commentary too. That leaves 101 Dalmatians as the most prominent film left without a commentary of any sorts.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:11 pm 
Limited Edition

hey Albert!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I already downloaded the Tangled commentary from your Dropbox, I really appreciate it!

And yes, I know about the commentaries for Dumbo and SB. I actually have the old SB dvd, so I have both commentaries. I wish I had the old Dumbo dvd.... but at least they are available in dvd format. The original Pocahontas commentary isnt! Why not include both?? Im sure there is different info. The two SB commentaries are extremely different!

And what is this about the John Smith shirtless scene??? DO TELL!!!gggg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:21 pm 
Platinum Edition

Marce82 wrote:
And yes, I know about the commentaries for Dumbo and SB. I actually have the old SB dvd, so I have both commentaries. I wish I had the old Dumbo dvd.... but at least they are available in dvd format. The original Pocahontas commentary isnt! Why not include both?? Im sure there is different info. The two SB commentaries are extremely different!

And what is this about the John Smith shirtless scene??? DO TELL!!!gggg

What's even weirder is that the Dumbo Blu-Ray specifically mentions that it features the audio commentary yet it still isn't included.

The ending scene where Pocahontas bids goodbye to John Smith initially featured him shirtless. However, it was felt that the scene was too steamy, especially with their long kiss, so they included John's shirt, although it's opened up to showcase his wound and wrappings so that's still something. I've also read that initially there was a scene planned where John was bathing shirtless in the waterfall and Pocahontas would have been there but this was cut because they felt it was too much.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:14 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
I've also read that initially there was a scene planned where John was bathing shirtless in the waterfall and Pocahontas would have been there but this was cut because they felt it was too much.

You haven't seen it? It's on the Deluxe Laserdisc Edition. It's essentially the same scene than in the final film, just him being shirtless and not looking after her when she runs.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:56 am 
Platinum Edition

DisneyFan09 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:
I've also read that initially there was a scene planned where John was bathing shirtless in the waterfall and Pocahontas would have been there but this was cut because they felt it was too much.

You haven't seen it? It's on the Deluxe Laserdisc Edition. It's essentially the same scene than in the final film, just him being shirtless and not looking after her when she runs.

Oh I didn't realize that scene was on the laserdisc. I assumed it was the ending but John Smith sans shirt. I wish there was an easy way to view the Laserdisc extras because I don't own it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:49 am 
Limited Edition

Well, the DUmbo blu ray has the cine-explore feature, which works as a commentary on the dvd included.

And isnt the cine-explore feature kind of a visual commentary?

I still wish they had included both.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:52 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

JeanGreyForever wrote:
Oh I didn't realize that scene was on the laserdisc. I assumed it was the ending but John Smith sans shirt. I wish there was an easy way to view the Laserdisc extras because I don't own it.

Yeah, it's a pity that it doesn't have it.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:47 pm 
Platinum Edition

Marce82 wrote:
Well, the DUmbo blu ray has the cine-explore feature, which works as a commentary on the dvd included.

Yes, the Cine-Explore feature is a visual commentary but it is different from the one included in the original Dumbo DVD. So it would have been nice to have both on the same disc, especially since the packaging claims that was the case.

Sleeping Beauty's Platinum Blu-Ray, for example, features the Cine-Explore feature and the commentary included is the exact same as the Cine-Explore but without all the visual stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:48 pm 
Platinum Edition

Marce82 wrote:

Yes, the Cine-Explore feature is a visual commentary but it is different from the one included in the original Dumbo DVD. So it would have been nice to have both on the same disc, especially since the packaging claims that was the case.

Sleeping Beauty's Platinum Blu-Ray, for example, features the Cine-Explore feature and the commentary included is the exact same as the Cine-Explore but without all the visual stuff.

DisneyFan09 wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote:

Yeah, it's a pity that it doesn't have it.

I don't think it has been uploaded to YouTube either.