DVDizzy.com

Home | Reviews | Schedule | Cover Art | Search The Site
DVDizzy.com Top Stories:

It is currently Tue Sep 29, 2020 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15
 Post subject: Re: Dumbo (Live-Action)
PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2020 5:28 pm 
Collector's Edition

A Big reason Why i loved this is , it was clearly Burton’s Dumbo and not Disney’s Dumbo just live action, that is a thing i really appreciate , the studio let Burton do almost his completely own thing with the story.

It's very evident this is Burton's vision through and through :D :up:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2020 3:26 am 
Gold Collection

DisneyFan97 wrote:
A Big reason Why i loved this is , it was clearly Burton’s Dumbo and not Disney’s Dumbo just live action, that is a thing i really appreciate , the studio let Burton do almost his completely own thing with the story.

It's very evident this is Burton's vision through and through :D :up:

Couldn't'ver said it better myself :) I'll NEVER understand how pretty much EVERYONE else doesn't see LA Dumbo this way, often complaining that they look took too many liberties with the story when it did it justice and truly its own thing, which its exactly what ur supposed to do when reimagining/remaking something :)

PS. Its my favourite Burton movie btw :)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2020 5:38 pm 
Platinum Edition

I finally got a chance to see this. It wasn’t what I expected. For some reason, I thought Danny Devito would be semi-villainous here and that the circus would be the setting for the whole movie. But I didn’t think it was awful. It was the kind of inoffensive family fare you usually expect from Disney's original live-action films these days—I’m thinking of something like The Odd Life of Timothy Green, for example. Something about the film also made me think of E.T., too, with Dumbo trying to return and escape with his mother versus E.T. and the mothership. Maybe the lack of trust between the children and the adults added to that impression, too. I found Colin Farrell’s character and the little girl both annoying. My first thought about the girl is, really? You didn’t care enough about the horses to learn how to do one thing so they wouldn’t have to be sold off? So selfish. And the father just seemed like he hated being stuck with baggage when it came to the children; I don't think the film really ever sold a "redemption" for that by the end. It came across more like he took care of them in spite of his dissatisfaction and that getting a new wife at least made the burden easier for him to bear--he had way more interest in Eva Green's character than he ever showed toward the children. I was surprised Eva Green ended up being more than just an evil sidekick character, so good job with that one, I guess. Dumbo and Mrs. Jumbo being in the wild at the end felt like a really odd ending, but maybe that was just me?

Overall, I thought it was fine. Not something I have the urge to see again, but I didn’t have any negative feelings towards it either. It’s low score with audiences I can only guess is disappointment that came from Tim Burton’s name being attached. I’m sure most people thought the film would be more “weird / quirky” in both its story and its look, and it really wasn't.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2020 8:43 pm 
Limited Edition

I did finally get around to seeing this too. I liked it, I thought Burton's style fit the film really well. I kinda wished the father and daughter relationship were better handled. And Keaton going overboard with the villain hamminess at the end...WTF was that? :? :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 284 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15