Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Dumbo (Live-Action)

Post by D82 »

More posters and music video for the Spanish version of "Baby Mine".
Disney Duster
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney Duster »

D82 wrote: :lol: Like the Bat-signal, right?
Yes, thank you, you got my joke!
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New TV spot and promo with Michael Keaton and Danny DeVito.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

New featurette and a TV spot highlighting some of the previous live-action remakes from Disney.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

D82 wrote:New featurette and a TV spot highlighting some of the previous live-action remakes from Disney.
LOVE that Disney is FINALLY using Cinderella in their marketing for another movie. At the studio lot, the live action Cinderella is EVERYWHERE in the Team Disney Building (posters, the actuall glass slipper from the film, etc), so it definitely means a lot to the film division.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

~enter Duster having a fangasm~ :P :lol:
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

*fangasm* :D

But I am surprised they finally used Cinderella in their marketing, too. What's the Team Disney Building? Part of the lots for Disney's live-action marketing buildings?
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I really like that they acknowledged their other live-action hits. Best part is that Alice and Maleficent are completely snubbed.
tsom wrote:
D82 wrote:New featurette and a TV spot highlighting some of the previous live-action remakes from Disney.
LOVE that Disney is FINALLY using Cinderella in their marketing for another movie. At the studio lot, the live action Cinderella is EVERYWHERE in the Team Disney Building (posters, the actuall glass slipper from the film, etc), so it definitely means a lot to the film division.
That's really cool that the live-action Cinderella has so much exposure there. Is that the only live-action remake to get this treatment?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

They probably used Cinderella because they were never expecting or aiming for it to be a huge blockbuster film that makes a splash like Alice, B&tB, Aladdin, Maleficent, The Lion King, etc., but something that does modest, respectable numbers.

EDIT: Note--the "it" in the above sentence was referring to Dumbo, since that apparently was not clear enough.
Last edited by Disney's Divinity on Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Disney Duster wrote:*fangasm* :D

But I am surprised they finally used Cinderella in their marketing, too. What's the Team Disney Building? Part of the lots for Disney's live-action marketing buildings?
It's the corporate building with the seven dwarfs.
JeanGreyForever wrote:I really like that they acknowledged their other live-action hits. Best part is that Alice and Maleficent are completely snubbed.
Is that the only live-action remake to get this treatment?
Nah, others get love too -- the rose from Beauty and the Beast is there too. I imagine the magic lamp form Aladdin will be on display once the movie is done with its campaign.
Disney's Divinity wrote:They probably used Cinderella because they were never expecting or aiming for it to be a huge blockbuster film that makes a splash like Alice, B&tB, Aladdin, Maleficent, The Lion King, etc., but something that does modest, respectable numbers.
LOL, nice try but Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast are used in the promo as well.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

The first reviews are in and they're not good. As of now, it's standing at 49% on Rotten Tomatoes and at 53% on Metacritic.

The box office projections made it opening domestically between $50 and $65 million.
A global opening between $137M-$155M is what we’re hearing at this point in town with overseas between $80M-90M and domestic projections literally wild: Disney thinks it’s in the $50Ms, others in the $60M-$65M range, but after today’s Rotten Tomatoes score, we’re figuring $57.5M on the low end at 4,200+ theaters (comprised of 2,900-plus 3D locations, 400 IMAX auditoriums, 650 Premium Large Format screens and 250 D-Box/4D locations. U.S./Canada previews start 6pm on Thursday.

Stateside, Dumbo‘s opening is tracking to be lower than the $100M-plus openings we’re use to with Beauty and the Beast and Jungle Book, and also below Maleficent‘s ($69M) and Cinderella ($67.8M) debuts, yet just around where Burton’s Charlie began at $56.1M.

Disney begins rolling out Dumbo internationally on Wednesday, notably in France, Korea, the Netherlands and Indonesia. Through Friday, the film will be in all overseas markets, including China and Japan. It’s somewhat unusual for the latter to go day-and-date with the rest of the world, but given Avengers: Endgame’s impending arrival at the end of April, Disney is getting out ahead of itself with as much runway as possible. Japan also happens to be a big Burton market.
Source: https://deadline.com/2019/03/dumbo-disn ... 202583032/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Here are more posters and a new featurette.
Sotiris wrote:The first reviews are in and they're not good. As of now, it's standing at 49% on Rotten Tomatoes and at 53% on Metacritic.
I thought it would have better reviews based on the first reactions, but many times they're deceiving.

As for the promo using previous Disney live-action remakes, what surprised me a bit is that Alice in Wonderland wasn't included, given that it was a huge success and also because like Dumbo it was directed by Tim Burton. But I guess the reason it wasn't in it is that the sequel underperformed at the box office.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

D82 wrote:
As for the promo using previous Disney live-action remakes, what surprised me a bit is that Alice in Wonderland wasn't included, given that it was a huge success and also because like Dumbo it was directed by Tim Burton. But I guess the reason it wasn't in it is that the sequel underperformed at the box office.
Not only the sequel, which may have tainted the original film's legacy, but also probably how long ago the original film was. Almost a decade at this point. Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and BATB are much more recent and thus more fresh in the audience's mind. Also, critically, all three did much better than Alice which was more of a visual spectacle but wasn't really repeatable beyond that.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

tsom wrote:
LOL, nice try but Jungle Book and Beauty and the Beast are used in the promo as well.
I responded off-the-cuff because I didn’t care enough to load another trailer for this to know and I suppose I’m not quite pathetic or petty enough to do so just because of the Cinderella obsession or how its namedrop in a trailer is a significant enough reason for moving the entire page off-topic. But thanks for letting me know and bless your heart! You're a real peach.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Thank you tsom for the info! So it's one of the Walt Disney Studios buildings! Cool. And I'm sorry Disney's Divinity is being mean with his sarcasm to you. : ( You are awesome, tsom!
Disney's Divinity

I understand that you thrive on the attention, Duster, and always feel the need to mention or respond to me.

*Edited by moderator to remove personal attack*
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I am defending my friends from you. That is the only attention I mean to draw.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, sure. You're transparent. Fashion another trophy for your Victim shelf.
tsom
Anniversary Edition

Post by tsom »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
tsom wrote:
I responded off-the-cuff because I didn’t care enough to load another trailer for this to know and I suppose I’m not quite pathetic or petty enough to do so just because of the Cinderella obsession or how its namedrop in a trailer is a significant enough reason for moving the entire page off-topic. But thanks for letting me know and bless your heart! You're a real peach.
Aw, thank you most kindly! May God bless you too! 12 years in the game and I'm still the tastiest peach on DVDizzy. :-)
Disney Duster wrote:Thank you tsom for the info! So it's one of the Walt Disney Studios buildings! Cool. And I'm sorry Disney's Divinity is being mean with his sarcasm to you. : ( You are awesome, tsom!
Eh, it's not a big deal. I'm not gonna get upset over someone I don't know. Thanks for the defense, friend! And yes, the Team Disney Building is where a lot of departments are that make up Walt Disney Studios (production, development, marketing, publicity, corporate, etc). ;-)

These reviews are disappointing, but I'm not shocked. When I saw that the premiere event occurred indoors (like it did for The Nutcracker) instead of outside on Hollywood Blvd (like most Disney premieres), I knew that meant trouble. It's sad because I know people in the industry thought this would be the surprise hit of the spring season. Oh well!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I find the hypocrisy of certain posters who are quick to jump to the attack while openly admitting that they didn't even bother to click on the link that was the topic of discussion to be utterly laughable.
tsom wrote: These reviews are disappointing, but I'm not shocked. When I saw that the premiere event occurred indoors (like it did for The Nutcracker) instead of outside on Hollywood Blvd (like most Disney premieres), I knew that meant trouble. It's sad because I know people in the industry thought this would be the surprise hit of the spring season. Oh well!
It's a shame that the film is being critically panned. After Mary Poppins "flopped," I was hoping this film would be able to do better. If Aladdin does similarly badly (critically and/or commercially), I wonder if Disney will consider scrapping future live-action remakes. Especially since after The Lion King, the only big films they have left are The Little Mermaid and Snow White.
ImageImage