Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Re: Dumbo (Live-Action)

Post by DisneyFan97 »

A Big reason Why i loved this is , it was clearly Burton’s Dumbo and not Disney’s Dumbo just live action, that is a thing i really appreciate , the studio let Burton do almost his completely own thing with the story.

It's very evident this is Burton's vision through and through :D :up:
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

DisneyFan97 wrote:A Big reason Why i loved this is , it was clearly Burton’s Dumbo and not Disney’s Dumbo just live action, that is a thing i really appreciate , the studio let Burton do almost his completely own thing with the story.

It's very evident this is Burton's vision through and through :D :up:
Couldn't'ver said it better myself :) I'll NEVER understand how pretty much EVERYONE else doesn't see LA Dumbo this way, often complaining that they look took too many liberties with the story when it did it justice and truly its own thing, which its exactly what ur supposed to do when reimagining/remaking something :)

PS. Its my favourite Burton movie btw :)
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I finally got a chance to see this. It wasn’t what I expected. For some reason, I thought Danny Devito would be semi-villainous here and that the circus would be the setting for the whole movie. But I didn’t think it was awful. It was the kind of inoffensive family fare you usually expect from Disney's original live-action films these days—I’m thinking of something like The Odd Life of Timothy Green, for example. Something about the film also made me think of E.T., too, with Dumbo trying to return and escape with his mother versus E.T. and the mothership. Maybe the lack of trust between the children and the adults added to that impression, too. I found Colin Farrell’s character and the little girl both annoying. My first thought about the girl is, really? You didn’t care enough about the horses to learn how to do one thing so they wouldn’t have to be sold off? So selfish. And the father just seemed like he hated being stuck with baggage when it came to the children; I don't think the film really ever sold a "redemption" for that by the end. It came across more like he took care of them in spite of his dissatisfaction and that getting a new wife at least made the burden easier for him to bear--he had way more interest in Eva Green's character than he ever showed toward the children. I was surprised Eva Green ended up being more than just an evil sidekick character, so good job with that one, I guess. Dumbo and Mrs. Jumbo being in the wild at the end felt like a really odd ending, but maybe that was just me?

Overall, I thought it was fine. Not something I have the urge to see again, but I didn’t have any negative feelings towards it either. It’s low score with audiences I can only guess is disappointment that came from Tim Burton’s name being attached. I’m sure most people thought the film would be more “weird / quirky” in both its story and its look, and it really wasn't.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I did finally get around to seeing this too. I liked it, I thought Burton's style fit the film really well. I kinda wished the father and daughter relationship were better handled. And Keaton going overboard with the villain hamminess at the end...WTF was that? :? :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tim Burton reveals he won't be working for Disney again after his experience on Dumbo.
The filmmaker also talked about his long relationship with Disney, where he began his career as a young animation artist. He suggested that while occasional, under-the-radar individual projects might find a place at the studio, it was now mainly focused on Marvel, Pixar and Stars Wars franchises. “It’s gotten to be very homogenized, very consolidated. There’s less room for different types of things,” he said, adding he would ever do a Marvel movie. “I can only deal with one universe, l can’t deal with a multi-universe.”

Burton said it was unlikely he would be returning to work with Disney any time soon following his experiences on his 2019 live-action reboot of Dumbo. “My history is that I started out there. I was hired and fired like several times throughout my career there. The thing about Dumbo, is that’s why I think my days with Disney are done, I realized that I was Dumbo, that I was working in this horrible big circus and I needed to escape. That movie is quite autobiographical at a certain level,” he said.
Source: https://deadline.com/2022/10/tim-burton ... 235152608/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I don't know if it was a review or someone here mentioned it, but I remember reading the big circus in Dumbo seemed like a metaphor for Disney as a company, and judging by Tim Burton's words, maybe it was intentional. I get the impression the main issue for him was the lack of creative freedom, which I think is evident from the remakes in particular, as most of them seem directed by the same person. Or perhaps it was the lack of interesting offers from the studio; that's also possible. Personally, I'm glad he won't be losing his time making more Disney remakes.
carolinakid
Anniversary Edition

Post by carolinakid »

Dumbo and the two Alices SUCKED! Tim Burton shouldn’t be allowed anywhere NEAR any Walt era animated or live action classic!
singerguy04
Collector's Edition

Post by singerguy04 »

You know, there is a part of me that get upset with Tim Burton in this instance. I don't think anyone here would disagree that he is a very talented filmmaker, but many of the problems with Dumbo are also glaringly present in films he's made with other studios. I don't doubt that Disney had a strong thumb on his creativeness though the process, but the man also has a very unique palate and I don't think that always successfully translates to his projects. There were 110% parts that some Disney exec had influence on ("Let's get ready to Dumbo" anyone?), but it overall was very much a Tim Burton film, and it seems to me he's trying to shift some blame to the studio for a few creative calls that didn't float with audiences.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I'm honestly surprised creative freedom would've been an issue with this film (or the Alice remake for that matter), considering neither of them are anything like the original films they're based on. So what was the tug of war over if it wasn't to make them like the original films anyway?? :lol:

That said, I like Tim Burton. I have a feeling this is more that he thinks it's hard to get anything original greenlit at Disney these days, his best option was working on a remake of something else and trying to do something with it since he's not allowed to make an original product.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Patricier21
Special Edition

Post by Patricier21 »

carolinakid wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:33 am Dumbo and the two Alices SUCKED! Tim Burton shouldn’t be allowed anywhere NEAR any Walt era animated or live action classic!
To be honest, those [in the Alice’s case, through the Looking Glass in particular :-) are actually Among my favourite of the live action remakes, with Dumbo actually being my favourite Tim Burton movie :-) I find them to be very moving, and inspiring, and also extremely underrated movies but I honestly do not understand the hate for them them at all
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

singerguy04 wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:07 am There were 110% parts that some Disney exec had influence on ("Let's get ready to Dumbo" anyone?), but it overall was very much a Tim Burton film, and it seems to me he's trying to shift some blame to the studio for a few creative calls that didn't float with audiences.
Well, it's true Dumbo still feels like a Tim Burton film, so he probably still had enough creative control. At least more than other directors. I guess the problem then is most likely the second option I mentioned.
Disney's Divinity wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:25 am I have a feeling this is more that he thinks it's hard to get anything original greenlit at Disney these days, his best option was working on a remake of something else and trying to do something with it since he's not allowed to make an original product.
Yes, it must be that.

By the way, I didn't mean I don't want him to direct more Disney remakes because I don't like the ones he has made. Quite the opposite; Alice in Wonderland is one of the best in my opinion, and I appreciate he tried to do something different with Dumbo even if it's not among my favorites. I just think his time would be better employed directing original movies than the (for the most part) forgettable live-action remakes of Disney films.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tim Burton’s take on “Dumbo” was significantly rejiggered at the 11th hour, leaving Burton with a bad taste in his mouth.
Source: https://www.thewrap.com/sean-bailey-disney-legacy/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage