Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Live Action "Dumbo" in the works

Post by D82 »

Colin Farrell confirms that Tim Burton’s Live-Action remake of Dumbo is not a dark & twisted tale
https://www.heyuguys.com/colin-farrell- ... sted-tale/
“It’s certainly not dark and twisted or anything like that, the story on the page and what I see on set is very sweet, very sweet, and really kind of buoyant, it’s just a really gorgeous tale.

They did a bang-up job of writing a narrative story around what really didn’t really have much of a narrative story, certainly in relation to the human beings in the cartoon, they wrote a whole story there. There’s a great part for Danny DeVito, Eva Green, Michael Keaton, myself and the two young actors that play the kids. It’s really sweet to go to work on it every day; it couldn’t be any more different to this [The Killing of a Sacred Deer], and I love this, but this is a different kind of level”.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Sounds like it'll be like the Pete's Dragon remake which I was not a fan of.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Yep, Big Fish shows Burton can do a film with a colourful visual palette and a lot of sweetness and emotional elements. Re-watching Big Fish not too long ago is what fully confirmed in my mind that Burton was the right choice to tackle a live-action version of Dumbo. Big Eyes was another departure from his usual German Expressionist style. He's a more adaptable filmmaker than he's normally given credit for.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Yeah, I'm hoping this is more like Big Fish and less like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I've never seen Big Fish so I can't compare to that but I did like Big Eyes. Burton seems to vacillate in terms of quality with every film. I hope it isn't like Miss Peregrine, because the film did not do justice to the book.
Disney's Divinity wrote:Yeah, I'm hoping this is more like Big Fish and less like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.
I've never understood the hate for Charlie. I suppose I was in the exact age group the film was catering for when it came out, but my generation regards it as a classic. I suppose most of us haven't been exposed to the original Willy Wonka film which might explain why, but I've never felt an urge to watch it. I'm quite fond of Charlie.
ImageImage
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I love Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. The book is my childhood favourite. I must have read it so many times, but I was never ever satisfied with the adaptation with Gene Wilder. Always found it too sickly sweet and schmaltzy, the songs (with the exception of Pure Imagination) frequently get on my nerves, the Oompa Loompas look stupid and visually, the whole production looks like a low-rent tv-movie. Outside of the stuff with Wonka's father (which I didn't mind at all), Burton's film was exactly how I pictured the world of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory when I read the book. And as a piece of filmmaking, I think it also works tremendously well. In terms of capturing Roald Dahl's dark and twisted sense of humour, it may be the adaptation that gets that down the closest.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Re: Dumbo (Live-Action)

Post by disneyprincess11 »

It's a sequel!

Our first still & the logo:

https://twitter.com/disneyfilmfacts/sta ... 2914963456

Dumbo looks beautiful IMO!
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

It being a sequel definitely raises my interest! I love how Dumbo looks. Much more excited for this now.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

If it were a sequel, wouldn't they have added a "2" or a subtitle to the title? I really hope it's not. I don't approve of live-action sequels to animated films. It's insulting to the medium. I'd rather have them be their own canon.

Dumbo still looks a bit uncanny and unsettling to me. The logo is nice though. Here's a higher-quality picture of it.

Source: https://twitter.com/WildAboutMovies/sta ... 3889710080
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Some more details from the CinemaCon presentation:
When the Dumbo presentation began, Disney EVP Cathleen Tiff introduced the coming footage, explaining that the movie would be a different, more expanded version of the tale we've grown accustomed to.

"We've expanded the story, taking that as a jumping off point for Dumbo's newest story," Taff said before unveiling a peak at the film.

Again, the footage hasn't been released online, but a member of ComicBook.com's staff was in attendance for the presentation, and they were able to describe what was shown to the audience.

Here's what the folks in attendance saw from Dumbo:

Danny DeVito rallies people at a circus, getting them excited about Dumbo, "the amazing flying elephant." Colin Farrell explains this is a whole new story. "The original ends with the elephant flying," DeVito said. "This one begins with that and goes even further." DeVito's character scolds employees for not doing their job and degraded the elephant. His character is struggling as the traveling circus business is dying. Farrell explains Dumbo brings his character closer to his kids.
Source: http://comicbook.com/movies/2018/04/24/ ... cinemacon/
The crowd also got a sneak peek at Tim Burton’s sumptuous “Dumbo,” another live-action remake of a Disney classic. Taff promised that the studio has “expanded the story,” taking the predecessor as a “jumping-off point.” The new film opens where the 1941 version ended, with the namesake flying elephant as front-page news. However, Dumbo never flew on the CinemaCon screen. Tracking the new star’s literal and figurative rise are the children of former circus legend Holt Farrier (Colin Farrell), as are trapeze artist Colette Marchant (Eva Green), and bigtop owner Max Medici (Danny DeVito), who is trying to stave off the nefarious and exploitative V.A. Vadnemere (Michael Keaton).

“Tim understands outsiders, people who don’t fit in,” said Green in a behind-the-scenes clip. “And ‘Dumbo’ is a classic example of that.” “Dumbo” lands in theaters March 29, 2019.
Source: http://www.indiewire.com/2018/04/the-li ... 201956730/
The sizzle reel didn't show us Dumbo in action since the effects are still far from being finalized, but we did get to see plenty of Colin Farrell and Danny DeVito as their characters work together to protect Dumbo while also trying their best to keep their circus alive. It should also be noted that the film looks unlike anything we've ever seen from Burton, which should be promising news.
Source: https://www.comicbookmovie.com/disney/c ... ow-a159980
The footage shown for Dumbo did not include any actual shot of Dumbo flying. However, did show the cute elephant in a POV scene flying around the circus tent. With shots of the human characters in the film played by Danny DeVito and Micheal Keaton.
Source: https://omegaunderground.com/2018/04/24 ... ney-panel/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

I forgot how much I like the cast for this film. Has there been any confirmation of Timothy Q. Mouse being in the film? I think he's a highly underrated character and I always preferred him to Jiminy.
ImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Hearing that this isn't going to follow the plot of the original makes me a little more excited. I guess because I didn't want to see them try to re-create the original with humans instead of talking animals. That it's essentially going to be a continuation opens the story up for a human cast. The elephant troupe won't need much of a role and Mrs. Jumbo/Dumbo were non-speaking anyway.

As for the older posts I never responded to, sorry, I thought Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was horrible, especially the ear-bleedingly bad musical numbers. I haven't read the book to comment on the portrayal of the characters--I thought the actors in general did a fine job (I love Freddie Highmore, in general)--so maybe it was intentional, but Johnny Depp straight up looked like a child molester. :lol:
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

I'm less excited now that we know it's a sequel instead of a reimagining of the original. The animated movie is very thin in plot so they could have easily expanded and built a new story around it. There was no need to make it a sequel. I was looking forward to seeing Dumbo's origins, particularly the emotional Baby Mine sequence which is the heart of the film.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Has there been any confirmation of Timothy Q. Mouse being in the film? I think he's a highly underrated character and I always preferred him to Jiminy.
I think his role as Dumbo's friend might have been replaced by Colin Farrell's character and his children in this version.

As for the film being a sequel, I'm not sure if that's true. It doesn't match with the official synopsis released by Disney. Maybe what they meant in that preview is that the discovery that Dumbo can fly will be made that quite early in the film, and the movie will focus more on what happens after that. Either that or there have been changes in the script since the synopsis was revealed. Here's what it said:
Disney’s new live-action feature film Dumbo introduces Holt Farrier (Farrell), a former circus star who finds his life turned upside down when he returns from the war. Circus owner Max Medici (DeVito) enlists Holt to care for a newborn elephant whose oversized ears make him a laughingstock in an already struggling circus. But when Holt’s children (Parker and Hobbins) discover that Dumbo can fly, persuasive entrepreneur V.A. Vandevere (Keaton) and an aerial artist named Colette Marchant (Green) swoop in to make the peculiar pachyderm a star.
Source: http://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/8 ... tion-dumbo
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I didn't like Tim Burton's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. I hope Dumbo isn't a sequel and instead is the original expanded. I would rather it was like how they are going to do The Lion King.
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I find it interesting how Disney fans are divided into two factions in regards to these live-action re-dos. There are those who want to see the animated film merely recreated in live-action with CG effects. While there are those who would prefer these movies go in other directions in how they tackle the stories. And even though I fall into the latter category, I can understand why some have more of a preference for the former option.

It kind of reminds me of this discussion Internet reviewer Brad Jones had, when talking about the live-action "Beauty and the Beast", which is worth a watch/listen.
Disney's Divinity

For me, it’s more of a case by case thing. I love Dumbo, but I don't think they'd do a good job re-creating the original, because they’d rather have humans working in the circus fill the roles that the animals had. With The Jungle Book, I was fine with changes because I was never a big fan of the original. I want them to hew close to the animated films with Aladdin, TLM, etc. At the same time I liked Maleficent, even if I wouldn't mind an adaptation of Sleeping Beauty that was closer to the animated film (the fairy tale is a mess, tbh).
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Well, it's not quite that for me. I mean, yes, I hate the way they did the Alice movies, Maleficent, and Pete's Dragon, but Cinderella, The Jungle Book, and Beauty and the Beast are examples to me of films going in enough of a different direction to be what they should be. I think Beauty and the Beast should have done it in different ways, though, The Jungle Book should have done it by keeping the best parts of the original book and be less stupid, and Cinderella I think did the differences the best, though that film is also still not perfect.

But what it really is for me is the Alice movies wren't about the original story (or stories, as in either book), and Maleficent was also not really the original story or even about the same character. And I just feel like Dumbo should be about Dumbo. Same story, same main character. They can expand the story and make it different, but still make it essentially the same story.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

^Nice find, Sotiris! The size of the picture is too small to appreciate the details, but as usual with Tim Burton's films, the art direction looks quite good.