Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Re: Live Action "Dumbo" in the works

Post by Old Fish Tale »

And yet you sit through four seasons of 'Once Upon a Time'... Happy as a clam.

I don't understand why everyone hates him.
DisneyJedi
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyJedi »

In all fairness, I enjoy Tim Burton's movies. Yes, even Alice in Wonderland and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Really, what do people have against the latter when it's probably more faithful to the original book than Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory was? :eyebrow:

However, I'm not even sure how a live-action Dumbo will work, especially since 99% of the focus is on animals.
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

And I just found out that one of the Transformers writers wrote the first draft. Yeah, this probably won't be very good...
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

well, I do like Burton and his style, but Im feeling about this the way i felt about him doing Planet of the Apes, the story material doesnt seem like the right fit for his style... with the exception of the circus theme(a circus theme stop motion Burton film would actually be pretty cool!) As live action though? I cant see it.

I think Burton would have been a better choice for a Pinocchio redo.
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Old Fish Tale wrote:And yet you sit through four seasons of 'Once Upon a Time'... Happy as a clam.
This coming from someone who just adores the Tinker Bell series--your pedestal doesn't even lift off the ground far enough for you to look down at anyone. :lol: Don't be so ridiculously bitter and childish to think that a campy TV series was ever meant to compare to a feature film. You can save the pity me comeback pretending to be a victim as if what you posted above wasn't meant as a snotty personal insult. Give and receive.
Avaitor wrote:And I just found out that one of the Transformers writers wrote the first draft. Yeah, this probably won't be very good...
Tim Burton and a Transformers writer on a live-action Dumbo film... :?
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Old Fish Tale
Anniversary Edition

Post by Old Fish Tale »

Well, I guess my opinion of you matches your opinion of me. Touché!

Ehren Kruger has worked on another remake: 'The Ring', which was really awesome.
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

estefan wrote:After seeing Cinderella, I actually don't think these movies are necessarily live-action remakes of the animated films. Kenneth Branagh was allowed to do his own take of the fairy tale with little nods to the animated film sprinkled throughout (including character names). I don't think Branagh would have signed on to direct the movie if Disney just wanted him to do a recreation of the animated feature. The same probably applies to Jon Favreau and Tim Burton. I think Disney views these as more like companion pieces, rather than just wanting to redo the animated films in live-action form.
I think Cinderella is more than the animated film than you think. Cinderella is blonde in blue dresses and is kind to all, including the animals, and especially mice and bluebirds. She lives in the garret tower of the house. The stepfamily rips her pink dress. Her fairy godmother is old and hooded for a few minutes. Her stepmother can tell she was the one the prince danced with at the ball and locks her in the tower so she can't try on the slipper. Et cetera et cetera...
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Sigh.
EXCLUSIVE: Disney is circling with Will Smith to star for director Tim Burton in Dumbo, the live-action adaptation of the classic 1941 animated film. The studio is moving aggressively toward a production start with a script by Ehren Kruger about the big-eared, lovable elephant. This is an intriguing family film option for Smith, who is also working toward a start date with Sony Pictures on Bad Boys For Life, a reteam with Martin Lawrence which has Joe Carnahan directing his script.
http://deadline.com/2017/01/will-smith- ... 201883196/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Tom Hanks may be playing the villain.
Smith would play the father of the children who develop a friendship with the lovable elephant after seeing him at the circus. Insiders also indicate that Tom Hanks has been offered a role as the villain.
Source: http://variety.com/2017/film/news/will- ... 201958349/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, then those are well-casted then. So, will this be a extreme makeover like Pete's Dragon?
thedisneyspirit
Anniversary Edition

Post by thedisneyspirit »

since when does Dumbo have a villain.

this is starting to sound like those lame 90s films that were like "overworked dad doesn't have time to hang with his kids so he goes on a whimsical adventure to be a better man"
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

I think Will Smith and the kids are going to replace the crows' role in the story. I find the crows rather inoffensive myself, but it's hard to see why Disney would want to avoid using them.

And at least this is trying to do its own spin on Dumbo, rather than an almost copy of the animated film like The Jungle Book and presumably Beauty and the Beast. It's better to give Tim Burton room to do what he wants and let his creative juices flow rather than restrict him, because otherwise, you get something like Planet of the Apes.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Will Smith is no longer attached to the project.

Will Smith will not star in Tim Burton’s live-action Dumbo
http://ew.com/movies/2017/02/10/will-sm ... ton-dumbo/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Eva Green is in negotiations to star on Dumbo.
Eva Green is in talks to star in Tim Burton’s Dumbo, the live-action adaptation of the 1941 animated classic for Disney. Sources tell me she’s being eyed for one of the three main adult roles in the title, which is edging closer and closer towards a production start.
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/03/eva-green-t ... 202038656/
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I like Eva Green so that makes me a little bit more receptive to this film. Burton's been using her in his latest projects so her casting isn't really that much of a surprise.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

I don't know what you would think about this but according to BroadwayWorld, Danny Devito is in talks to play a role in the movie.
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Danny DeVito is negotiating to join Tim Burton’s circus in Disney’s live-action rendering of Dumbo which is casting up now. DeVito is trying to work out schedules on his Broadway turn to join Eva Green in the story of the beloved baby circus elephant with the big, floppy ears.

If things work out, DeVito would play Medici, the man who runs a smaller circus that gets acquired by the evil big top circus villain Vandemere. Others involved in the picture say that DeVito’s deal is pretty much closed.

The live-action adaptation of the 1941 animated classic, scripted by Ehren Kruger who produces with Justin Springer, is barreling towards a production start. Eva Green is already in talks to take on the role Colette, a French trapeze artist who works for Vandemere and is a key role in the film.
Source: http://deadline.com/2017/03/danny-devit ... 202039965/
disneyboy20022
Signature Collection

Post by disneyboy20022 »

Sotiris wrote:

If things work out, DeVito would play Medici, the man who runs a smaller circus that gets acquired by the evil big top circus villain Vandemere.
:|

Wait, what? Why? What is it, this suppose to represent how the old time moderate republicans are getting swallowed up by the new business politicians that are around these days?

Plus, since when has Dumbo involved corporate takeovers?

and to the part of evil big top circus villain, I just couldn't stop doing this. rotfl rotfl
Want to Hear How I met Roy E. Disney in 2003? Click the link Below

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Colin Farrell In Negotiations For ‘Dumbo’ At Disney
http://deadline.com/2017/03/colin-farre ... 202051074/
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »