Dumbo (Live-Action)

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Dumbo (Live-Action)

Post by Sotiris »

Logo, banner, and poster. The teaser trailer has been released as well. I actually really liked the trailer, especially the use of Baby Mine. I hope the song (and the emotional scene between Dumbo and his mom) is featured in the film as well. It's interesting they'll be using the pink elephants on parade in some form. It's clear now that this movie is a remake and not a sequel to the animated one as it was erroneously reported by Disney Film Facts.

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyDumbo/ph ... 925205169/

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyDumbo/ph ... 281871800/

Source: https://www.facebook.com/DisneyDumbo/ph ... 478488647/

Official online destinations for Dumbo.

Website
Facebook
Twitter
Instagram
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Wow, that release was random! Dang, that direction...was good? And whoa, they really do take away the mother this time?But I do like the fresh changes while keeping the story.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Looks okay. I wonder why they wanted "Baby Mine" to be haunting, aside from catching the audience off guard.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Wow, that release was random!
Indeed it was. Surprised by it being released so soon.

While seeing the trailer, I found it okay, but the design for Dumbo himself was kinda meh. Baby Mine was in a less haunting tone than it's original predecessor, (and it's sung by one of Norway's most recent artist, Aurora, so I feel a patriotic pride :p) Otherwise, I wonder which direction this film is going to take, considering that it's a Burton production. Yet personally I find the Burton-choice to be somewhat odd. Will it actually be Burton-esque or would it be something akin to Alice in Wonderland, where it mostly feels like a Disney production and not enough Burton-esque?

I wonder if the animals will be naturalistic pantomime characters or if they're going to talk.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

New interview with Colin Farrell. Also, the Japanese teaser poster and teaser trailer are out.

Source: https://www.disney.co.jp/movie/dumbo/ne ... 13_01.html
Toky
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Toky »

Anyone noticed colin farell’s character is missing an arm...pretty dark and burtonesque
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

I didn't expect the teaser would arrive so early! The movie looks good to me. And Dumbo looks better than in the first pictures we saw of him. The poster is nice too.
Sotiris wrote:It's clear now that this movie is a remake and not a sequel to the animated one as it was erroneously reported by Disney Film Facts.
Yes, it is. I think Disney Film Facts didn't have any exclusive info about the movie on this occasion, they just misinterpreted the reports from CinemaCon. The most interesting thing about Dumbo are his origins and the discovery that he can fly, it didn't make sense they would skip that and center only on what happens after that. I'm glad, though, there are enough new elements in the story to differentiate it from the original and to make it interesting.
Toky wrote:Anyone noticed colin farell’s character is missing an arm...pretty dark and burtonesque
It's true! I didn't notice it in my first viewing. The article explains he lost it in the war. I think the detail that he's a widower is also new. And I didn't Know the actress who plays his daughter in the film is Thandie Newton’s daughter.

Here's another article with more interviews and a new still: https://people.com/movies/dumbo-flies-a ... -reboot-2/

And Disney has released a preview of the "Baby Mine" cover used in the teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCLtxLUwBSs
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

I loved the teaser, the direction, the song, and the design, including Dumbo's! Yes, he looks much better now. Now I actually think this could be good.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I really liked the teaser! I'm curious as to how Pink Elephants will factor into the film but I'm glad they're keeping that in somehow considering its such an iconic part of the film. I really hope Timothy Q. Mouse will get some sort of role in this film, if even a cameo. He's such an underrated character and I hope he isn't forgotten.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:And Disney has released a preview of the "Baby Mine" cover used in the teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gCLtxLUwBSs
Thanks for posting it! While not my favorite rendition of the song (that's Alison Krauss' cover), it's still pretty good.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Something that caught my attention from the poster is the white feather. I wonder if it will be part of the story or if it's just for the poster. If it's in the film, the fact that it's white instead of black probably means that the crows won't appear in it at all.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Good catch. I didn't notice that but if it wasn't already a given that the crows wouldn't be in this film, it certainly is now. The crows wouldn't even be a problem if it wasn't for the name of the head one.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Disney's Divinity

I'd say the removal of the crows is a safe bet considering they have been heavily criticized. Perhaps he'll get a feather from the stork who brings him to Mrs. Jumbo? Or maybe he sees the stork again later in the film, filling the same role as the crows in the animated film.
Sotiris wrote:While not my favorite rendition of the song (that's Alison Krauss' cover), it's still pretty good.
Yes, it's very pretty, ethereal. I wonder if Mrs. Jumbo might be "put down" in this film (when she's driven off in the trailer)...? That would explain the eerie quality of the song, sort of like she's still taking care of and watching over Dumbo from the afterlife.

Along with Krauss, I love Bette Midler's version, too.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:I wonder if it will be part of the story or if it's just for the poster.
It's definitely part of the story. In the trailer we see one of the girls holding it and using it to help Dumbo fly. She's playing the part Timothy did in the animated film. It seems the animals in this one won't be talking or be anthropomorphic. As for whose feather that is, I also think it might be Mr. Stork's.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I wonder if Mrs. Jumbo might be "put down" in this film (when she's driven off in the trailer)...? That would explain the eerie quality of the song, sort of like she's still taking care of and watching over Dumbo from the afterlife.
It's an interesting theory but I doubt Disney would be willing to take it as far as that with this one. This seems more of a feel-good movie. I think they'll just be separated at the beginning and reunited towards the end for the obljgatory happy ending.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It's definitely part of the story. In the trailer we see one of the girls holding it and using it to help Dumbo fly.
Oh, it’s true! I hadn’t notice it was the feather what she holds in her hand. I knew the kids were substituting Timothy and the crows in this version, but I thought there was still a possibility that they could appear in a small role or a cameo like the mice in the live-action Cinderella. This, however, pretty much confirms they won't be in it at all. And, yes, it’s likely the feather is from a stork. We know because of the trailer that they’ll appear in the film, but do you think Dumbo will be delivered by a stork as in the animated movie? I have the feeling they won't do that here.
Disney's Divinity wrote:I wonder if Mrs. Jumbo might be "put down" in this film (when she's driven off in the trailer)...? That would explain the eerie quality of the song, sort of like she's still taking care of and watching over Dumbo from the afterlife.
:shock: I hadn't thought of that possibility. Poor Dumbo, I hope it's not the case. But, why would they carry her away? Maybe to take her to another circus?
Disney's Divinity wrote:Along with Krauss, I love Bette Midler's version, too.
I didn't know about these two versions, the only cover of the song I had heard was the one on the DVD. Both are great, but my favorite is still the movie version. I love the way it's sung and the chorus. By the way, I've noticed all these covers have the same extra bridge. Where does it come from? Was there an extended version of the song in one of the first soundtracks for the movie, perhaps?
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote: It's an interesting theory but I doubt Disney would be willing to take it as far as that with this one. This seems more of a feel-good movie. I think they'll just be separated at the beginning and reunited towards the end for the obljgatory happy ending.
At first I thought that might be too dark, too, but they did go with Tim Burton and the trailer is unexpectedly 'weird' for the Dumbo story. There's also a character missing an arm. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility. Killing off parents to get tears is something Disney's known for.
D82 wrote: I didn't know about these two versions, the only cover of the song I had heard was the one on the DVD. Both are great, but my favorite is still the movie version. I love the way it's sung and the chorus. By the way, I've noticed all these covers have the same extra bridge. Where does it come from? Was there an extended version of the song in one of the first soundtracks for the movie, perhaps?
I have that Jim Brickman album. I love his piano arrangement, but Kassie Depaiva isn't a real standout for me. I'm not sure about where the bridge comes from either. That sounds like the kind of thing Sotiris might know though. :P
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

D82 wrote:Do you think Dumbo will be delivered by a stork as in the animated movie? I have the feeling they won't do that here.
No, I don't. It looks like they're going for a more realistic approach to the story despite the fantastical premise of a flying elephant.
D82 wrote:By the way, I've noticed all these covers have the same extra bridge. Where does it come from? Was there an extended version of the song in one of the first soundtracks for the movie, perhaps?
It came from early, licensed renditions of the song after the movie's release. It's a practice that goes back to Snow White. Due to the soundtrack's popularity, Disney included additional and provided alternate lyrics to Snow White's songs (particularly to Someday My Prince Will Come, I'm Wishing, and One Song) to make them into longer, 'proper' songs in order to accommodate all those singers and musicians who requested to cover them and rake in the money from licensing fees.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Sotiris wrote:It looks like they're going for a more realistic approach to the story despite the fantastical premise of a flying elephant.
Yes, I agree. That's why I think they won't have him delivered by a stork too.
Sotiris wrote:It came from early, licensed renditions of the song after the movie's release. It's a practice that goes back to Snow White. Due to the soundtrack's popularity, Disney included additional and provided alternate lyrics to Snow White's songs (particularly to Someday My Prince Will Come, I'm Wishing, and One Song) to make them into longer, 'proper' songs in order to accommodate all those singers and musicians who requested to cover them and rake in the money from licensing fees.
Interesting. I had noticed they had added lyrics to some versions of Disney songs, but I didn't know that practice was so common and that it started so early. Nor how it worked. Thanks, Sotiris, as Disney's Divinity said, we can always rely on you for this kind of info. :)
Disney Duster

Post by Disney Duster »

Why would they have a feather from Mr. Stork...but no storks deliver babies?
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Disney Duster wrote:Why would they have a feather from Mr. Stork...but no storks deliver babies?
Maybe the feather is not from Mr. Stork after all. We don't know yet. There's a scene from the trailer where Mrs. Jumbo stares at a flock of white birds outside her cage. I'm not sure if they're storks or not but maybe the feather came from them.