Atlantis Live-Action?

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Sotiris
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Atlantis Live-Action?

Post by Sotiris »

This is from the same publication that reported the Pocahontas remake so take it again with a grain of salt.
We Got This Covered has been informed that Disney is working on a remake of Atlantis: The Lost Empire with Spider-Man actor Tom Holland being eyed as the lead. The original was released in 2001 and, though it’s fondly remembered by those who enjoyed it as kids, it’s fair to say that it’s not considered one of the studio’s finest animated efforts. It was also something of a box office flop at the time.

However, this might be an occasion when a live-action remake is completely warranted. Maybe with a bankable star like Holland attached and a story that should have widespread appeal, cinemagoers will flock to see this mythical action/adventure movie on the big screen. In fact, due to its relative lack of familiarity with audiences, Disney might be free to create something more distinct from the original than with other remakes.

That said, the intention is presumably to stick fairly close to the animated film as we’ve been told that Holland is being eyed to play Milo Thatch in the movie. A geeky Smithsonian cartographer who’s whisked off on an expedition to Atlantis, the character was voiced by Michael J. Fox in the animation. Thanks to the awkward charm he brings to his portrayal of Peter Parker, it’s easy to see how Holland could be an exciting choice for the role and as soon as we hear more about Disney’s plans for Atlantis: The Lost Empire, we’ll be sure to let you know.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/tom ... ke-disney/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Re: Atlantis Live-Action?

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, my my. Since Disney has pretty much swapped this movie under the rug, I thought a live action remake of this would've been unheard of.
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I can definitely believe this would do better in live-action than in animation. Then again, it could always flop the same way the TRON franchise did. I think the science fiction angle is just not very popular for whatever reason, and that's why both this and Treasure Planet bombed back when despite being good films. Who really knows though. Holland as Milo would be absolutely perfect casting and would be worth the attempt if nothing else. :up: I wonder if they'd use the original Atlantean language that was created for the animated film; it would be nice to see that given new life, since the original film never received much fanfare.

I hope they go through with this, just like with the Prydain series and the Lost Years of Merlin series. This story in particular would be wide open to change and do original things with. The only things I do hope they keep the same are the main character and the visual of the Atlantean princess becoming combined with the Heart of Atlantis and glowing blue. Maybe also the Leviathan guardian.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

This I don’t believe.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Wait does this mean it’s really being made into a live-action?

Skyler Shuler: Sadly, no.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 8539255810
Q: Does this confirm that Atlantis is in pre-production?

Skyler Shuler: No.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 0085771264
Q: Why though?

Skyler Shuler: The movie is not in development, so he can’t be up for a role that isn’t even in the works.
Source: https://twitter.com/Skylerhxc/status/11 ... 1554490368
Disney's Divinity

This was only a rumor anyway. I do think they're looking at potential properties they could resurrect to create not only one-off remakes but franchises out of, a la Aladdin. They'll probably make a trilogy out of the new The Lion King, too.
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

If Atlantis is considered a Bomb, what do you call the rest of WDAS 2000s features? When Dinosaur, "CGI characters with Live-Action backgrounds" reminds me of a certain movie coming out this week, & Chicken Little are your highest grossing features for a 10 year stretch, you know you've got some problems. The only real Hit from this decade is Lilo & Stitch, it's domestic run was similar to mid-90s Renaissance features, also, it's low budget. Worldwide though, no so much :|
Attachments
9oi76890).png
9oi76890).png (43.34 KiB) Viewed 9076 times
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

That reminds me of this infographic featuring Disney's top ten highest grossing animated films from the 90s-2000s. Like you, I was shocked to see Chicken Little and Dinosaur (and even Bolt) feature on here. What surprises me though is how Brother Bear didn't make much less than Lilo & Stitch and the budget was almost half of Stitch's yet it's considered a flop.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Earlier today, we reported that Disney is developing a live-action remake of Atlantis: The Lost Empire, based on the 2001 animated film of the same name. Spider-Man star Tom Holland is being eyed to play protagonist Milo Thatch and what’s more, our source also informs us that the Mouse House has Guillermo del Toro in mind to direct the movie.

Of course, del Toro fans will know that just because the director’s name is attached to something, it doesn’t mean he’s necessarily going to end up making it. After all, he’s notorious for having a long list of unmade pics and aborted projects behind him (see: Hellboy 3 and Justice League Dark) So, all we’re saying here is that Disney would like the Oscar-winning filmmaker to helm their remake, but it remains to be seen whether he’d actually be interested in taking on the job.
Source: https://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/gui ... re-remake/
Guillermo del Toro wrote:No. Not true.
Source: https://twitter.com/RealGDT/status/1150982249262792705
estefan
Platinum Edition

Post by estefan »

Why does "We Got This Covered" seem to be getting a kick lately out of starting false rumours and reporting obviously fake scoops?

Oh, right. Clicks.
"There are two wolves and they are always fighting. One is darkness and despair. The other is light and hope. Which wolf wins? Whichever one you feed." - Casey Newton, Tomorrowland
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Is this more legit than WGTC? Idk...

https://fullcirclecinema.com/2020/05/13 ... nt-disney/
UmbrellaFish
Signature Collection

Post by UmbrellaFish »

Skyler Shuler from DisInsider also confirmed it. To me, this is pretty crazy.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

UmbrellaFish wrote:Skyler Shuler from DisInsider also confirmed it.
He's not always reliable. Usually the things he gets right come from casting notices, production grids, etc. He doesn't appear to know any people in the industry. Remember when he said the live-action Mulan would include Mushu voiced by Kevin Hart or that Lady Gaga was playing Ursula?

I'm waiting for a trade to confirm this.
Disney's Divinity

I'll keep holding my breath, but I still wouldn't really be that surprised. They're looking for properties they could eventually turn into franchises using the "remake" moniker as a hollow marketing device only. They actually could get away with changing everything with this like they did Mulan and nobody (or most people wouldn't, rather) would care because the original wasn't successful anyway. :P
Avaitor
Collector's Edition

Post by Avaitor »

I've mentioned this before, but I'd like to see this made as a series rather than a feature. We'd be able to spend more time with the characters and build the world that way.

I know that it won't have as big of a budget for a show (at least episode to episode wise) as it would a feature, but I'd expect it to be a Disney+ property regardless. I'd be surprised if Disney was aiming for it to be theatrical.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I must not have seen your earlier post(s) about Atlantis working as a TV series instead of a full-length film but I agree with you completely! A major criticism of the film is that we don't spend enough time getting to know the characters and people felt that the actual journey to Atlantis should have been longer. The film has a lot of great scrapped concepts as well which could be reintegrated into a series with more padding time.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
WarriorDreamer
Gold Classic Collection

Post by WarriorDreamer »

I fully endorse this idea, along with Tom Holland in the role. Could be fun in a sci-fi John Carter-y way, but hopefully better.
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Din't the orginal movcie lose Disney tons of MONEY !! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seems like insanity than to remake !!!!! :o :o :o :o

Is Disney run by the nuthouse !!

WHO MADE THIS decision !!!! rotfl rotfl
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

This is the only non-musical I wanted to ever see get a remake. I love the original, but it is hollow and has so little character development when it comes to Kida and Milo’s relationship. Half the film is just the journey to the city and we barely spend 25 minutes in the city before the climax hits and we are being rushed out again. A lot of the logic doesn’t really make sense... such as them forgetting to read their own language when Kida and her father were both alive during the sinking of the city and thus others were too and they clearly could use the technology back then. Also the scale of the city wildly bothers me. At times it looks huge, other times it feels so small. There’s so much to fix and expand on that I would be really excited to see what they could come up with.

This could be the next Pirates. The next Indiana Jones. But something unique to itself. I could see this becoming a franchise even. But Disney has got to cut it out with these cardboard bland directors being given their biggest properties. It’s time to let the remakes me art, and really have emotion and stakes and be given the ability to be better than its predecessor.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

nomad2010 wrote:This is the only non-musical I wanted to ever see get a remake.
I would add Treasure Planet on that list too.
nomad2010 wrote:I love the original, but it is hollow and has so little character development when it comes to Kida and Milo’s relationship. Half the film is just the journey to the city and we barely spend 25 minutes in the city before the climax hits and we are being rushed out again. A lot of the logic doesn’t really make sense... such as them forgetting to read their own language when Kida and her father were both alive during the sinking of the city and thus others were too and they clearly could use the technology back then. Also the scale of the city wildly bothers me. At times it looks huge, other times it feels so small. There’s so much to fix and expand on that I would be really excited to see what they could come up with.
While I love the original as well, there's definitely room for improvement. I agree with some of your points. It does take too long to find Atlantis. They should have spent more time exploring Atlantis and less time battling sea monsters. The Atlantians forgetting to read their own language never bothered me because it's a necessary plot contrivance for uncovering the mystery. I never liked Milo as a character; he is too awkward and geeky for my taste. I prefer my fictional archaeologists more of the Indiana Jones-type. His romance with Kida isn't adequately explored. If you're trying to make the audience buy that this babe fell in love with this dweeb (which is a common male fantasy), you need spend more time with them as a couple. His relationship with the rest of the crew also needs some work. You need to make the audience invest in their friendship in order for the betrayal to work.
nomad2010 wrote:This could be the next Pirates. The next Indiana Jones. But something unique to itself. I could see this becoming a franchise even. But Disney has got to cut it out with these cardboard bland directors being given their biggest properties. It’s time to let the remakes me art, and really have emotion and stakes and be given the ability to be better than its predecessor.
I always try to keep my expectations low with Disney remakes (and yet I still get disappointed sometimes :lol: ), but I fully agree with your sentiment. Honestly, I don't understand why it's so difficult for Disney to get things right when it comes to the remakes. It seems relatively easy to do so when you already have a blueprint. The issues with the remakes run deeper than a question of being faithful or different from the original because as we've seen even when they deviate greatly from the original, they still suck.