Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Frozen 2

Post by Escapay »

Sotiris wrote:
Q: You say you have your true north but you're down south in Australia and you've been looking at locations like caves and stalactites and stalagmites and I'm wondering whether Frozen actually goes to a warm continent.

Chris Buck: Well, I can't say. I cannot say that.
Source: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-05-01/c ... ng/6435002
Frozen Down Under?

:P

Albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Are we really sure she's there for Frozen 2? It's really early to record lines to a movie that they're currently making and Eva never said it was for Frozen 2
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Well, she did tweet "Always a good place to start my day! Nice to be back...busy day ahead! Let's do this! #actorslife #FROZEN" and then deleted it after the press took notice of it.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Q: Disney announced earlier this year that Frozen will have a sequel. What can viewers expect from “Frozen 2”?

Peter Del Vecho: The only thing that I know for sure is that we’re getting the same creative team back together. It’s going to be all the characters we know and love: Anna, Elsa, Kristoff, Sven and Olaf. We’re excited by the ideas we have, but it’s too early to talk about them. We wouldn’t be making a sequel if we felt that we didn’t have a story to tell that was equal to or greater than the original.

Q: What are you working on next?

Peter Del Vecho: Right now part of my day is handling the “Frozen” franchise. There is still so much in development. There’s things that are happening in the parks or with consumer products, so I’m still involved in that. The other part of my day is in development with Chris [Buck] and Jen [Lee] the directors, working up ideas for the development of “Frozen 2." Those are my two primary focuses right now.
Source: http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/20 ... filmmakers
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

We wouldn’t be making a sequel if we felt that we didn’t have a story to tell that was equal to or greater than the original.
I hate when directors say this. We know the reason sequels are made because the studio(s) want easy money. It's the same reason WIR and BH6 are getting sequels--not because the directors "had a new story they want to tell." :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to Frozen 2 and I think they'll come up with a decent story (maybe better/not as good, who knows), but just be honest that a sequel's getting made because the first one made 1.2 billion dollars.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I know, its so laughable...

looks like Hans may not come back.
Kyle
Platinum Edition

Post by Kyle »

Disney's Divinity wrote:
We wouldn’t be making a sequel if we felt that we didn’t have a story to tell that was equal to or greater than the original.
I hate when directors say this. We know the reason sequels are made because the studio(s) want easy money. It's the same reason WIR and BH6 are getting sequels--not because the directors "had a new story they want to tell." :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I am looking forward to Frozen 2 and I think they'll come up with a decent story (maybe better/not as good, who knows), but just be honest that a sequel's getting made because the first one made 1.2 billion dollars.
Doing one doesn't exclude the other though.
Victurtle
Special Edition

Post by Victurtle »

But do you know why its easy money? Because there is so much demand for a sequel. People want to see more of the characters they love. They are making a film people want. Because of that, it's not easy money. It took a lot of effort and risk the first time round, and now the directors have even more pressure not to disappoint. I think it's a bit disrespectful to criticise the directors for reasons behind the Executives' decisions.
Disney's Divinity

Victurtle wrote: I think it's a bit disrespectful to criticise the directors for reasons behind the Executives' decisions.
I think it's disrespectful to lie, but that's part of the business.

Would it really be wrong to just be straightforward and say, "It was popular, so Disney asked us to look into another story for these beloved characters, blah blah blah." Not this crazy song and dance, "We unexpectedly had a great new idea for a follow-up story, and we're so glad Disney's going to allow us to make a sequel. No, no, Disney didn't pressure us at all!" :lol:
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Hahaha, so true!^^ Right on the spot, Disney's Divinity!^^ Hollywood seems to be getting more and more sequel and franchise oriented these days. I can't imagine what it would have been like if Disney had been like that in the 90's. We might actually have gotten decent sequels like The Little Mermaid 2, Beauty and the Beast 2, Aladdin 3, Pocahontas 2, Hercules 2, Mulan 2 from Walt Disney Animation Studios, instead of those crappy cheapquels that we got...

I have to be honest: I am going to be really, really let down if Hans does not come back for the sequel. It will not be the same without him. But it seems like Disney have little to no love for him, he is barely featured in ANY of their merchandise. And oh my, how much merchandise have they not pumped out for this movie since it's release!

I think his character is really interesting, and I would love to see the Southern Isles. Elsa and Hans got so little screen time in Frozen. They should have dropped that stupid troll plot and song and focused a bit more on characters like Elsa and Hans.

I wonder why Disney seems to totally neglect him in their merchandise. When the movie was new they seemed to include him in the promo only to let people think that he was not the villain. But now that everybody knows, they seem finished with him. I think that is really strange, they love to promote their villains from other movies - they even have the Disney villains franchise! Why are Hans being left out in the cold (pun intended)? Is it because he only served as a shocking story twist? Are Disney thinking that he is to handsome to be promoted among the other Disney villains? Afraid that people might be liking him to much because of his good looks? Do Disney think it's to risky to promote a character that nearly killed such a popular character as Elsa? Had they featured Hans more often if he was clearly a wicked villain from the start of the movie?
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

^I agree with everything you said about Hans. I would have liked to have see him in the sequel as a proper villain this time. Or if not I would've like to know more about his brothers and the Southern Isles. But I think the problem Disney has with him is that they feel he's too creepy for parents. Its one thing to have an overly theatrical mustache twirling villain who just want to be uber-powerful and "rule the world, mwahahaha!" but a male villain who basically spends the movie preying on the innocence and naivety of a young girl is something that probably makes a lot of parents uncomfortable and they'd rather not see that type of character on their little girl's toys. I think thats why he's been left out of so much merch.

There's also what you pointed out, that he's basically an evil handsome prince, and it sort of messes with the whole "royalty is something positive to strive for and dream about" that is the heart of the Princess and the Sophia the First franchises.
Disney's Divinity

Prince Edward, I agree with you in regards to wishing Hans would get more merchandise, attention as a Disney Villain, but not so much on wanting him in the sequel.

I wouldn't mind him in a small role in the sequel, but to me there's nothing that would make him work as a main villain again since he really only worked as a "surprise." The most I could see happening is maybe he encourages someone else to attack Arendelle or maybe he swindles some other powerful monarch into marriage, but I wouldn't want either of those plots to be central to a sequel, tbh, because ultimately Elsa could annihilate him. I'd prefer an original villain who has powers of their own (if there is a villain at all). Especially if those powers are heat-related (thinking about the lava villain from Moana).
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

I agree, I'd rather not see Hans in the sequel. It would be different if the character had a deeper connection to one or more of the main characters, or if he wasn't the out-and-out villain that he was in the first film, but as it is, I think it would be difficult to make it work, especially without making it feel like somewhat of a retread.

In terms of merchandise, I guess he's in a somewhat difficult position. Even though he was a villain and evil through-and-through, he really doesn't have a look that makes him marketable alongside the rest of the Disney Villains. I don't see why he wouldn't have merchandise alongside the other Frozen characters though.... maybe his sales straggled behind the rest of the characters.
blackcauldron85

Post by blackcauldron85 »

Gaston doesn't really have much merchandise, either, so they are in the same boat...
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

come to think of it, mother Gothel didnt get much either, just DS collectors dolls and the one pvc figure with the pvc set. Just like Hans...

I guess we're in an era were the villains just aren't being as highly marketed as they used to be...
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

... or we're simply in an era where villains aren't really memorable or they are just bland. Outside of Dr. Facilier, the last villain to truly make an impression was probably Yzma back in 2000.

I love Frozen to pieces, but Hans is pretty much just a side-character, a plot device to get to that surprise twist. Cut him out of the movie and the main conflict (Elsa vs. her powers vs. everyone else) still remains intact.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Well, for a movie that's supposed to be out in 2019, production is starting really early. Sounds like this will be in 2018.

Kristen Bell Reveals FROZEN Sequel Will Begin Recording Next Month

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/arti ... h-20160318
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

disneyprincess11 wrote:Well, for a movie that's supposed to be out in 2019, production is starting really early. Sounds like this will be in 2018.

Kristen Bell Reveals FROZEN Sequel Will Begin Recording Next Month

http://www.broadwayworld.com/bwwtv/arti ... h-20160318
By this June everything will geared towards Moana, this Thanksgiving. In 2017 WDAS will once again sit out another whole year while Pixar will bless us with Cars 3 :smack: & Coco in June & Thanksgiving. I expect a teaser trailer for Gigantic in June with Cars 3, ala Zootopia's teaser with Inside Out last June. Also we have the next D23 in August 2017 "remember, it's every other year" & that's when we should see more regarding Frozen 2. And as for Gigantic, you know Disney is gonna run a full trailer in front of Star Wars VIII that December, ala the sloth trailer for Zootopia in front of The Force Awakens.
ce1ticmoon
Gold Classic Collection

Post by ce1ticmoon »

Well, it seems like they were really racing against the clock in trying to meet the deadline with the production on Frozen, and as much as I enjoyed the movie, it showed in the final product IMO. I think Chris Buck and Jennifer Lee are very capable, so hopefully they can take a little more time to get things ironed out a bit better this time.

Also, what's the likelihood of this actually being called Frozen 2? I'm hoping they just give it a subtitle, or at least a Tangled Ever After/Frozen Fever/Rescuers Down Under -type title.
Disney's Divinity

ce1ticmoon wrote:Well, it seems like they were really racing against the clock in trying to meet the deadline with the production on Frozen,
I've never heard anything about the first film being rushed, and nothing about the film appears that way?