Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Re: Frozen 2

Post by Atlantica »

It would be awesome for sure if Disney did try it .... but I just can't see them taking that risk with Elsa. A more secondary character, yes, but Elsa herself ? I just don't see them experimenting with her like that, especially when you see the $$$ the Frozen line brings in. What if it created a MASSIVE backlash and sunk the film ? I just don't think creatively Disney could / would ever do that.

I'm still of the opinion that she doesn't need to be partnered up with anyone. She just needs to be be. And also have massive therapy too I reckon :P
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

We can atleast be sure that Elsa is going to be sorry over something to Anna.

Frozen Fever
Elsa: I am sorry Anna. I wanted you to have a great birthday. But I ruined it again.

Olaf's Frozen Adventure
Elsa: I am sorry Anna, it is my fault we don't have a family tradition.

:D
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

I know ! Sensing a theme there :lol:

They did take the piss of that though in the Lego short movies, that was funny.

It would be nice if they can move her on from there for sure.
Mooky
Platinum Edition

Post by Mooky »

Atlantica wrote:I'm still of the opinion that she doesn't need to be partnered up with anyone. She just needs to be be.
Agreed. This whole "Give Elsa a girlfriend" movement seems to exist only because she wasn't paired up with anyone in the first film. Elsa's anxiety and struggles were always about her powers, not her sexuality, but it works as a powerful metaphor for closeted LGBT people, as well as for people suffering from mental illnesses or any other marginalized group, similar to how X-Men can be interpreted in a number of different ways. That's the strength of the character -- everyone is able to read her the way they want to. I know that for me, Elsa and "Let It Go" were instrumental in accepting myself and coming out to my friends. Other people saw something else, maybe someone struggling with depression or suicidal thoughts. Some people just took it at face value and saw a princess with magical powers. Now, I wouldn't mind if Disney did give her a girlfriend, but to me, it kind of reduces the character's reach and impact (that's not to say that there won't be straight people who will be able to relate to her). I would of course prefer if they created an original gay character, but given the tokenism Disney's been accused of when Tiana was introduced, maybe taking an established character and making them gay is not a bad way to approach the matter.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Well, now that this issue is brought up; Though I doubt Disney would ever pull this off, it would've made more sense if Disney deliberately made a lesbian couple than a gay couple. Mostly because of the norms women face when it comes to the same sex, which is more accepting than it is for males (let's face it guys, that's how it is and this comes from a bisexual male as myself).
DisneyBluLife
Gold Classic Collection

Post by DisneyBluLife »

DisneyFan09 wrote:Well, now that this issue is brought up; Though I doubt Disney would ever pull this off, it would've made more sense if Disney deliberately made a lesbian couple than a gay couple. Mostly because of the norms women face when it comes to the same sex, which is more accepting than it is for males (let's face it guys, that's how it is and this comes from a bisexual male as myself).
I agree, best start would be with a female character and because Disney already did do a male gay couple in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

DisneyBluLife wrote:I agree, best start would be with a female character and because Disney already did do a male gay couple in The Hunchback of Notre Dame.
You know what, I was going to mention it! I forgot it! But I have the feeling that Disney weren't conscious about that notion.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Djali always confused me because Djali is female in the book and Djali is also a feminine name. Ron Husband, who animated Djali, always referred to her as female in his animation notes. Yet, the final film has Djali referred to as a male. A pity especially because of the dearth of female sidekicks in Disney films.

You're right though that most people tend to forget about Hugo and Djali. Maybe because it's played up for brief comical effects or because of the gender confusion for Djali or just because everyone wants to pretend the gargoyles never happened. I guess Hugo's existence is also ambiguous so that doesn't help either.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

I dunno, both the gay thing and the stuff about their mother were already rumored about recently in other unofficial fan news sites, maybe this guy just read about these already known rumors and just repeated it for clickbait. We wont know anything for sure until we get proper word from the creators themselves.

that said Im fine with gay Elsa although as an asexual I liked the idea of her being asexual b/c asexuals have it even worse than homosexuals, we're either portrayed as weirdo psychos, ubernerds, or we just dont exist. :|
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

JeanGreyForever wrote:Djali always confused me because Djali is female in the book and Djali is also a feminine name. Ron Husband, who animated Djali, always referred to her as female in his animation notes. Yet, the final film has Djali referred to as a male. A pity especially because of the dearth of female sidekicks in Disney films.
Really? I haven't noticed about Ron Husband's notions about Djali's gender. But yeah, I agree.
You're right though that most people tend to forget about Hugo and Djali. Maybe because it's played up for brief comical effects or because of the gender confusion for Djali or just because everyone wants to pretend the gargoyles never happened. I guess Hugo's existence is also ambiguous so that doesn't help either.
Most likely. You're probably right.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Kristen Bell Says 'Frozen 2' Will Introduce New Characters, Have Very Intimate Moments
https://comicbook.com/movies/2018/09/27 ... e-moments/
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

My favorite quote from the article was this:
"I think I can say the number one thing we all held hands on, because we all signed back up again on that one is to not think of the Zeitgeist part of Frozen, because that's not how we made it in the first place," Lee told ComicBook.com. "In fact, a lot of people didn't know if the world was interested in the story we had to tell, because it was a musical with two female leads. "
I think this is something most people probably wouldn't know about Frozen (outside of the Disney fan community, I mean). After TP&TF was sabotagedunderperformed, Rapunzel became Tangled (where the musical moments were stifled and Flynn became the star according to advertisements for the movie). The Snow Queen was also turned into a 3D film called Frozen. Sad to say, but the company did see the film as a risk because of the female characters, which is incredibly sad.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:My favorite quote from the article was this:
"I think I can say the number one thing we all held hands on, because we all signed back up again on that one is to not think of the Zeitgeist part of Frozen, because that's not how we made it in the first place," Lee told ComicBook.com. "In fact, a lot of people didn't know if the world was interested in the story we had to tell, because it was a musical with two female leads. "
I think this is something most people probably wouldn't know about Frozen (outside of the Disney fan community, I mean). After TP&TF was sabotagedunderperformed, Rapunzel became Tangled (where the musical moments were stifled and Flynn became the star according to advertisements for the movie). The Snow Queen was also turned into a 3D film called Frozen. Sad to say, but the company did see the film as a risk because of the female characters, which is incredibly sad.
It's really contradicting and ironic. Due to how Disney is practically perceived as synonymous with the Princess staple and promotes the Princess franchise and even launched the very first of the Revival Princesses as a part of the lineup and still were reluctant that it would work. Now the opposite has actually happened, so Disney shouldn't really even have this issue.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Three or four times a year, Disney CEO and chairman Bob Iger crosses from his office on the Burbank, Calif., lot with a couple of fellow execs to Disney Animation Studios, where rooms have been prepared for them. In each, they are pitched a movie. Sometimes the films are no more than an idea, and the room just has some art boards and a director with a 15-minute plot outline. Others are more elaborate—the room for Frozen 2 included a video from a research trip to Norway, Iceland and Finland, a “tone reel” and a wall of index cards detailing themes and emotional threads.
Source: http://time.com/5415019/bob-iger-disney/
Q: What is auditioning for you like?

Jamie Sparer Roberts: In order to protect the creative process at the studio, we release very little information about the projects and characters to anyone outside of the company. Occasionally, the director will share rough sketches with the actor at the live audition. In fact, the sides that we use are not usually made up of material that is in the actual film. For example, most of my “Frozen 2” audition material for new roles has been made up of scenes pulled from various existing stage plays that echo the emotion of our film.
Source: https://www.backstage.com/magazine/arti ... ure-66147/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Penelope Cruz denied role in 'Frozen 2'
https://torontosun.com/entertainment/mo ... 9c03efd7a9
The Oscar-winning actress revealed she wanted to star in animated films in an effort to please the two children she shares with husband Javier Bardem — Leo, seven, and Luna, five.

However, she missed out on starring alongside Kristen Bell, Idina Menzel, Evan Rachel Wood and Sterling K. Brown in the sequel to the huge Disney/Pixar hit Frozen, set to be released next year.

“I haven’t done a lot of films that are for children, but I’m looking. I hope that I can do some animation work. I would love to,” she told Entertainment Tonight. “I tried to get into Frozen 2. That was the one (I wanted), but no way.”
Disney's Divinity

Post by Disney's Divinity »

I wonder why they'd turn her down? Maybe they just didn't have a character for her.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

I like her a lot and would love to see her in a Disney film. I'm not sure Frozen 2 would be a good choice to showcase her talents though since her accent probably would seem out of place in the Arendelle setting. Unless she played a foreign dignitary or visiting royal.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
Atlantica
Signature Collection

Post by Atlantica »

In my opinion, she doesn't have a particularly great or distinctive speaking voice, which could be why she hasn't been tapped up before to do an animated film ?

I think Selma Hayek has a much more distinctive voice, out of the two.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Kristen Bell thinks Snow White teaches kids bad life lessons
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/all ... 670419002/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Sotiris wrote:Kristen Bell thinks Snow White teaches kids bad life lessons
https://www.usatoday.com/story/life/all ... 670419002/
So true rotfl
Last edited by DisneyEra on Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.