Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Re: Frozen 2

Post by JeanGreyForever »

farerb wrote:
JeanGreyForever wrote: Do you mean in Japan or worldwide in general?
Worldwide.
I still wonder why the film hasn't been doing as well in Japan as it probably should.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

Frozen II needs only $130million to become #2 Highest grossing Animated feature in the modern era, behind only Minions & The Incredibles 2. "Not counting the Live-Action Lion King"
REINIER
Anniversary Edition

Post by REINIER »

Visually stunning film ...storywise sorely lacking...and those songs ...cringe worthy... For a movie so long in development this is a swing and a miss for me... Hopefully the inevitable 3rd will do justice to the property...instead of being another Shrek the Turd
When it comes to brains, I got the lion-share,
but when it comes to bruth strength, I'm afraid I'm at the shallow end of the gene pool
Musical Master
Anniversary Edition

Post by Musical Master »

With 416+ million dollars, Frozen II has officially outgrossed the first film in the US.

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/title/tt4520988/
Disney, Pixar, Rodgers and Hammerstein, and Cinema fan
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

It's only 70 million from passing the original Frozen and Incredibles II now.

It would need another 430 million to pass the TLK re-make... I doubt even Frozen III could make it that far either (assuming, of course, that it builds on II the way II did on the original). I don't think anything will pass the TLK re-make unless they re-made Frozen in full animation, too, fifteen years from now.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

More Jin Kim drawings in this picture released by Disney:

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyAnimation/sta ... 2455388161
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Beautiful drawing! I so wish the Frozen films could have been hand-drawn.
ImageImage
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

JeanGreyForever wrote:I so wish the Frozen films could have been hand-drawn.
Oh, for sure. If Frozen had been hand-drawn it would not only looked more appealing but it would have resurrected hand-drawn animation as a medium. Another thing I blame Lasseter for. Chris Buck wanted to make it in 2D but Lasseter forced him to change it after TPatF underperformed. He did the same thing to Musker & Clements on Moana.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:Oh, for sure. If Frozen had been hand-drawn it would not only looked more appealing but it would have resurrected hand-drawn animation as a medium. Another thing I blame Lasseter for. Chris Buck wanted to make it in 2D but Lasseter forced him to change it after TPatF underperformed. He did the same thing to Musker & Clements on Moana.
It's tempting to wonder how Frozen would've turned out if TPatF became a smash hit. I remember how there were talks and rumors about the Snow Queen project being scrapped after TPatF's underperformance and being revived again after Tangled's success (is this true, or do I remember it wrongly?). But one must wonder how Frozen would've been if it weren't so influenced by Tangled (it definitively would've been a road trip-movie, since TPatF started it all, no pun intended).
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

DisneyFan09 wrote:I remember how there were talks and rumors about the Snow Queen project being scrapped after TPatF's underperformance and being revived again after Tangled's success (is this true, or do I remember it wrongly?).
No, it's true. The Snow Queen was shelved after TPatF underperformed as Lasseter and Catmull blamed the fairytale/princess aspect for its failure. When Tangled, which was too far into production to get canceled, turned to be a success, the Snow Queen was revived with a new name and in CG.
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Yeah I remember they said no more princess/fairytale movies after TPatF.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Sotiris wrote:No, it's true. The Snow Queen was shelved after TPatF underperformed as Lasseter and Catmull blamed the fairytale/princess aspect for its failure. When Tangled, which was too far into production to get canceled, turned to be a success, the Snow Queen was revived with a new name and in CG.
Oh, thanks for the confirmation. Oh my, I cannot forget the debate of how Disney weren't going to make more Princess movies after TPatF underperformance and during Tangled's release, right around the time when Tangled proved to be a success. It's really contradictory how Disney even brought up that issue, due to how they've marketed the heck out of their Princess brand this last decade, while the public has proved how they want a Princess movie in a new animation form and converting every upcoming heroine to a Princess. And making the tried and true Disney formula only accessible to the Princess movies and not their other pictures with other premises (as opposed to what they did in the 90's or in Walt's time). I miss the time that Disney could apply that formula within features with male leads or even animals, like they usually done.
Disney's Divinity

Yes, DisneyFan09, I miss when we would get male-lead musicals like Aladdin and Hercules. For whatever reason, "musical" is made synonymous with "girly" these days. :/
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

Sotiris wrote:No, it's true. The Snow Queen was shelved after TPatF underperformed as Lasseter and Catmull blamed the fairytale/princess aspect for its failure. When Tangled, which was too far into production to get canceled, turned to be a success, the Snow Queen was revived with a new name and in CG.
By then they had spent so much money on Rapunzel it would probably have been more expensive not to complete it, and is why it is one of the most expensive animated features ever made. Then they decide to change the name to Tangled just so boys shouldn't be afraid to see what they otherwise could have considered a "girls' movie".
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:
By then they had spent so much money on Rapunzel it would probably have been more expensive not to complete it, and is why it is one of the most expensive animated features ever made. Then they decide to change the name to Tangled just so boys shouldn't be afraid to see what they otherwise could have considered a "girls' movie".
If Tangled hadn't been in production for so long and cost so much to make, I wonder if Disney would have been less inclined to change the name and just keep it as Rapunzel.
ImageImage
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Yes, DisneyFan09, I miss when we would get male-lead musicals like Aladdin and Hercules.
Great minds think alike :up:. I'll also include Hunchback among the list, since it has a male protagonist, after all. This was also one of the reasons to look forward to Gigantic: Since it would be a musical with a male lead and therefore be some variation.
For whatever reason, "musical" is made synonymous with "girly" these days. :/
True, but I suppose that stigma may come from that musicals cater to a female demographic and therefore is perceived as such. That's just my suggestion.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

‘Frozen 2’ is the Biggest Animated Release of All Time
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/fr ... -all-time/

‘Frozen 2’ Crowned Highest-Grossing Animated Film Ever At Worldwide Box Office As It Skates Past Original
https://deadline.com/2020/01/frozen-2-h ... 202820963/
Farerb
Diamond Edition

Post by Farerb »

Outlets need to stop with the Disney's narrative that The Lion King is not an animated films. Sorry, but it's not an opinion, it's a fact.

I also find it disgraceful that the company that basically invented animation is so shameful in saying that a film they made is an animated film.
Sotiris

Post by Sotiris »

Frozen 2 has been nominated for Best Animated Film at the British Academy Film Awards 2019.

Source: https://twitter.com/DisneyFrozen/status ... 6598657024
Disney's Divinity

Sotiris wrote:‘Frozen 2’ is the Biggest Animated Release of All Time
https://www.thewaltdisneycompany.com/fr ... -all-time/

‘Frozen 2’ Crowned Highest-Grossing Animated Film Ever At Worldwide Box Office As It Skates Past Original
https://deadline.com/2020/01/frozen-2-h ... 202820963/
Inevitable. Aside from Frozen 3, I wonder what other film has the potential to pass it? Zootopia 2? Finding Nemo 3 (we know it'll happen eventually)? Incredibles 3 (ditto)? Either way, I'm glad a WDAS film holds the title instead of PIXAR, as little difference it makes anymore. I'm actually surprised Toy Story 4 wasn't up there in the top 3?