Frozen II

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
D82
Signature Collection

Re: Frozen 2

Post by D82 »

Leaked images from the Art of Frozen 2 (spoiler alert):
https://twitter.com/Fans_of_Frozen/stat ... 7072107521
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Post by Rumpelstiltskin »

D82 wrote:I thought the Sami were dark skinned because I remember there were complaints when Frozen was released that Kristoff wore Sami clothes but was completely white. But Disney shouldn't make them dark skinned if they aren't; it's important to be accurate with things like this. However, could it be possible that they had darker skin and hair in the past, when Frozen is supposed to be set, because they hadn't mixed so much yet with other natives in the area?
In the old days they had black hair, but I seriously doubt they were ever as dark skinned as the guy with a beard that is said to be one of the new characters. People who were complaining probably did it because they have no idea what they were talking about. And I find it unlikely that Kristoff and his people should look like modern Sami, while there are others who have not mixed with other locals.
An old picture of a sami with more ancient features: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... mi_man.jpg It is black and white, so it is hard to tell his color properly.

Sami today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2W2dYcJ6jqw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dk5ipgHw-ZA

http://www.nord-salten.no/no/nyheter/ku ... alten.2973
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

To be honest, I liked the new leaks of the merchandise and the pictures from the "Art of"-book seem intriguing. Wonder who those new characters are.
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

People keep speculating that the girl and boy running in the woods are younger versions of the parents but I honestly see little to no resemblance. These are probably the same people convinced that they were identical looking to Tarzan's parents.
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Thanks for all the info and the examples, Rumpelstiltskin.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:In the old days they had black hair, but I seriously doubt they were ever as dark skinned as the guy with a beard that is said to be one of the new characters.
I don't think that particular character is meant to be Sami, I think he's clearly black. Plus he's most likely the character voiced by Sterling K. Brown, who is also black. I don't know if there were black people in Scandinavia during the time period the movie is supposed to take place in, but that's another story.

I was referring to the other characters (a male and a female one) that were leaked some time ago. The Sami man in the old picture you posted looks a bit like the Inuit from Brother Bear and they had brown skin, so maybe the Sami characters in the movie are accurate for that time period after all. Or maybe not. You can't trust Hollywood, they not always care enough to get these things right. In Blue Sky's movie Ferdinand, for example, the human characters were too dark skinned in general taking into account the film is set in Spain. Though, I have to say that, aside from that, I found that movie quite respectful to my culture.
Candy-Bonita95
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Candy-Bonita95 »

DisneyFan09 wrote:To be honest, I liked the new leaks of the merchandise and the pictures from the "Art of"-book seem intriguing. Wonder who those new characters are.
I find these leaks interesting because it dives deep into the history of Arendelle's relationship with the "Unknown." It's a big contrast to the minimalism in the first Frozen's pre-production concept art. Yes, there was concept art with evil version Elsa, but it was minimal. The things scrapped from the original Frozen pre-production stage were still mainly focused on the four core characters, no grandiose narratives about the setting. It reminds me of Pocahontas in the pre-production stage. Let's be grateful that Frozen would most likely not have the same results as Pocahontas, at least not in screenplay quality.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Frozen 2: Kristen Bell Teases a More Adult Story for the Sequel
https://comicbook.com/movies/2019/07/25 ... sten-bell/
“You know I can’t tell you anything, Disney is so tight-lipped about it. What can I say? I have seen parts of it, because when we record we see things, I haven’t seen the whole thing, but I’ve obviously read the script. It is not ‘Episode II’ of Frozen,” Bell told ComicBook.com at San Diego Comic-Con.

“It is a story that we waited a long time so that it would reveal itself to the creators. What is the next progression in these characters’ lives that needs to be told? Not just like, ‘What’s another storyline we could do?’”

Bell is hesitant to call the sequel “a little more adult,” but does say “it grew up a little bit.”

“It’ll still be appropriate for kids and kids will still love it, but these girls have grown up as well a little bit,” Bell said. “I think the original fans of Frozen, who were little girls and now might not think it’s for them, will be pleasantly surprised.”
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

D82 wrote:I don't think that particular character is meant to be Sami, I think he's clearly black. Plus he's most likely the character voiced by Sterling K. Brown, who is also black. I don't know if there were black people in Scandinavia during the time period the movie is supposed to take place in, but that's another story.

I was referring to the other characters (a male and a female one) that were leaked some time ago. The Sami man in the old picture you posted looks a bit like the Inuit from Brother Bear and they had brown skin, so maybe the Sami characters in the movie are accurate for that time period after all. Or maybe not. You can't trust Hollywood, they not always care enough to get these things right. In Blue Sky's movie Ferdinand, for example, the human characters were too dark skinned in general taking into account the film is set in Spain. Though, I have to say that, aside from that, I found that movie quite respectful to my culture.
If they introduce black characters just like that, it does feel a little forced. We'll just wait and see who it is and why he's there. The body and the girl is too diffuse to make anything out of (unless there are some sharper images around). They could be the children of the other guy, or someone else.
The origin of the sami according to Wikipedia: "The genetic origin of the Sámi is still unknown, though recent genetic research may be providing some clues. Nevertheless, it appears that the Sámi are still primarily a blend of two populations known as European Hunter Gatherers and the Ancient North Eurasians."

That's about their origin. What happened in the centuries later, and how they looked a couple of hundred years ago, is more uncertain. According to the net, the first movie is set in July 1839.
I haven't seen Ferdinand yet, but Hollywood not getting everything right is still pretty common. Maybe they could do some test screenings in front of someone from whatever country their movies are set in.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Post by unprincess »

Ferdinand was set in Spain? I wouldn't have known that from the trailers.

I hope that young girl in the Sami wear from the trailer is not Iduna, they look nothing alike!
The art book leaks are interesting. The lone figure on the rock...maybe the white haired lady from the game board leaks? I wonder whats with the lone house on the mountain side. Seems isolated from wherever the Sami are living.
Rumpelstiltskin
Anniversary Edition

Just got a clearer look at the girl. Don't know who she is, but she doesn't look that different from the others. Maybe a little more tanned, and her hair is brown: https://www.vitalthrills.com/wp-content ... n2girl.jpg
So it seems unlikely that she is the daughter of the bearded guy.
disneyprincess11
Diamond Edition

Post by disneyprincess11 »

Another day, another new outfit for the ladies. Why are they so bent on Elsa having one hairstyle all the time?

Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Ooh, I like that color for Elsa.
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
DisneyFan97
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyFan97 »

Not really retavent. But couldn't think of a another theard on this forum to post this on so

I was on a forum today , everybody there said that the reason Disney animation studios and Pixar makes mostly sequels nowadays is that can't offored to lose money on orginal animated movies flopping ! And i was like THEY OWN MARVEL !They have an insane amount of money. And you say they can't offored to make orginaal animasted movies !! Is this a Joke ?!!

It's such a ridiculous statement !

I couldn't belive what i was reading !

It's a ludicrous idea

I really hope Frozen 2 is the last sequel for both Disney animation Studios and Pixar for a long while !
DisneyEra
Anniversary Edition

Post by DisneyEra »

DisneyFan97 wrote:Not really retavent. But couldn't think of a another theard on this forum to post this on so

I was on a forum today , everybody there said that the reason Disney animation studios and Pixar makes mostly sequels nowadays is that can't offored to lose money on orginal animated movies flopping ! And i was like THEY OWN MARVEL !They have an insane amount of money. And you say they can't offored to make orginaal animasted movies !! Is this a Joke ?!!

It's such a ridiculous statement !

I couldn't belive what i was reading !

It's a ludicrous idea

I really hope Frozen 2 is the last sequel for both Disney animation Studios and Pixar for a long while !
It's not that they can't afford to do it, it's just a bad investment. The executives at Disney are unlikely to green-light an original feature with a $150+ million dollar budget, that is no guarantee to be a hit, when they can do a sequel that will guarantee a profit. Take Toy Story 4 for example, nobody asked for that sequel, they said the series wrapped up perfectly with part 3, & what happens?, within 1 month since it's release, TS4 is over $900 million worldwide & approaching a Billion! You think Onward or Soul will pull in that kind of cash in a month? As for Walt Disney Animation Studios, We'll talk about them on August 24.
Disney's Divinity

I guess I’m alone in looking forward to several sequels--Zootopia 2 being the main one and I hope it isn’t far off. I’m also here for Frozen 3 whenever it comes down the pipe although I hope it ends at a trilogy, another (possibly final) sequel to Finding Nemo, and the Toy Story series can continue forever as far as I’m concerned. I wouldn’t mind a Coco 2 either… And that isn't even going into all the sequels they make to their live-action films. I don't mind sequels when they receive as much effort as an original film would.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

Rumpelstiltskin wrote:If they introduce black characters just like that, it does feel a little forced. We'll just wait and see who it is and why he's there. The body and the girl is too diffuse to make anything out of (unless there are some sharper images around). They could be the children of the other guy, or someone else.
I hadn't thought of that possibility. Yes, maybe they are his children. Regarding him, I now it's a fantasy film set in an imaginary kingdom, but it's also based (at least partially) on a real place and a real time period, so I agree that it would be nice if they gave some explanation as to why there are black people in that part of the world in the movie. However, if there isn't one, I don't mind it too much either. After the backlash over Halle Bailey's casting in the Little Mermaid remake, I've decided not to complain about these details, because it's clear that what we need right now is more representation for people to get used to seeing characters from other ethnicities on the big screen. I don't think all the people who complained in this case were racist, I know Ariel's look is very iconic and I believe many of them (like the members here) just wanted her to look like the animated character, but I'm sure that if they had announced Ariel would be blonde, for example, there wouldn't have been such a strong backlash online. Sorry for going off-topic a bit, but I just wanted to make my point clear.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:Just got a clearer look at the girl. Don't know who she is, but she doesn't look that different from the others. Maybe a little more tanned, and her hair is brown: https://www.vitalthrills.com/wp-content ... n2girl.jpg
So it seems unlikely that she is the daughter of the bearded guy.
I could be wrong, but she doesn't look like the same girl to me.
Rumpelstiltskin wrote:I haven't seen Ferdinand yet, but Hollywood not getting everything right is still pretty common. Maybe they could do some test screenings in front of someone from whatever country their movies are set in.
That would be a great idea. It wouldn't be that difficult to do and would make a big difference. I also think other studios should copy Disney's recent initiative of having a group of experts from the place where the movie is set to give advice since the beginning of production about the cultural aspects of the story. They did it for the first time with Moana and then with Coco. I hope they're doing the same for Frozen 2 as well.
disneyprincess11 wrote:Another day, another new outfit for the ladies.
I think these are the same outfits that had already been leaked, only that here we have a better look at them.
D82
Signature Collection

Post by D82 »

A new synopsis from a book gives more details about the plot:
Many years ago there was a battle between the Northuldra and the kingdom of Arendelle. The end of peace angered the spirits, sowing chaos among the Arendellians. The voices of the past have returned and Elsa may be the only one who manages to return peace to the kingdom.
Source: https://azaffranist.tumblr.com/post/186 ... e-that-our
JeanGreyForever
Signature Collection

Post by JeanGreyForever »

Thanks for posting. That's quite revealing. Who exactly are the Northuldra though?
ImageImage
We’re a dyad in the Force. Two that are one.
"I offered you my hand once. You wanted to take it." - Kylo Ren
"I did want to take your hand. Ben's hand." - Rey
nomad2010
Special Edition

Post by nomad2010 »

Am I the only one who feels like all these different synopses have a lot of different things going on that don’t all add up? spirits, voices of the past, a wolf, the seasons, the elements... I’m just hoping there’s been some bad interpretations and the story is clear and concise because right now I feel like this could easily go the way of convoluted half-baked lore that doesn’t make much sense.
Disney's Divinity

Yeah, I agree, it’s all over the place. I’m ready to see the film already and be done with these descriptions and breadcrumbs from 20 different places.