People & Places

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
ichabod
Diamond Edition

People & Places

Post by ichabod »

does anyone think it is likely that the people and place series will be released on dvd? perhaps as a future volume of walt disney treasures?
feedmelinguini
Gold Classic Collection

Post by feedmelinguini »

I'd love to see this, as all the shorts (I would think) would fit on one Treasures set. However, I don't know how Disney would view the popularity of this series. I enjoyed them, but I'm not necessarily typical.

-Lon
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

:twisted:
I think that if the Treasure tin with True Life Adventures sells good in the next rumored wave, then it´s very much likely that we will have People and Places in the future - at least I really hope we will! :wink:
Ludwig Von Drake
Special Edition

Post by Ludwig Von Drake »

I would love to see them and I agree that if True Life does well then people and places might be next.
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

Anyone care to elaborate a little more on this series? I know a little, but not enough.

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Ludwig Von Drake
Special Edition

Post by Ludwig Von Drake »

All I know is that Walt sent cameramen around the world to film natives. He filmed the Inuit, the Cattle Herdsmen, which can be seen on Old Yeller, Other than that I'm not sure but on this is is a list od disneyland episodes though I wouldn't trust it fullly becuase some the treasures show what next week's show will be and it is different from this list.

http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/Ep ... 6/season-1
jebsdad
Gold Classic Collection

Post by jebsdad »

awallaceunc wrote:Anyone care to elaborate a little more on this series? I know a little, but not enough.

-Aaron
Hi Aaron...here I go again!

The People And Places series totaled 17 travelogue featurettes released from 1953 to 1960. Two of the films (The Alaskan Eskimo and Men Against The Arctic ) won Academy Awards.

The other 15 are: Siam, Switzerland, Sardinia, Disneyland U.S.A., Samoa, The Blue Men Of Morocco, Lapland, Portugal, Wales, Scotland, The Ama Girls, Seven Cities Of Antarctica, Cruise Of The Eagle, Japan, and The Danube.

I have seen several of these - either as the featurettes or as part of the Disney TV anthology series (Disneyland, Walt Disney Presents, etc.).

These featurettes generally ran about 30 minutes and were much the same quality as the True-Life Adventures featurettes. I found them very interesting because the films show how the various peoples lived back in the 1950s and how their lands shaped their lives.

The only People And Places I still have is the Disneyland U.S.A. one - both widescreen and pan/scan. It is quite fun seeing a documentary on Disneyland done in the People And Places format.
MPeriolat
Limited Issue

Post by MPeriolat »

Sign me up for wanting a Treasure of these. I've never had the opportunity to watch them in any form and they do sound appealing! Then again, now that I think about it, Disney NEVER made anything boring in Walt's lifetime.
In Mouse we Trust,

Matt
AwallaceUNC
Signature Collection

Post by AwallaceUNC »

These excite me a good deal more than the True Life Adventures (even though I now want to see them too). ESPECIALLY the Disney Land one! Thanks, Jebsdad, for the rundown! :)

-Aaron
• Author of Hocus Pocus in Focus: The Thinking Fan's Guide to Disney's Halloween Classic
and The Thinking Fan's Guide to Walt Disney World: Magic Kingdom (Epcot coming soon)
• Host of Zip-A-Dee-Doo-Pod, the longest-running Disney podcast
• Entertainment Writer & Moderator at DVDizzy.com
• Twitter - @aaronspod
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

What is "People and Places"?

Post by Daisy Duck »

Hi All.

On another thread, probably one about the True-Life DVDs, I think someone mentioned a "People and Places" series that Disney did. Does anyone know anything about this? What was it? Could it have been a documentary type of show, like their nature shows? If so, I think that would be really interesting...

Thanks.
Mr. Toad
Diamond Edition

Post by Mr. Toad »

They were a series of live action shorts produced by Disney(hopefully to be a future Treasure or Legacy series)'

1953 The Alaskan Eskimo People and Places
1954 Siam People and Places
1955 Arizona Sheepdog People and Places
1955 Switzerland People and Places
1955 Men Against the Arctic People and Places
1956 Sardinia People and Places
1956 Disnelyland USA People and Places
1956 Samoa People and Places
1957 Blue Men of Morocco People and Places
1957 Lapland People and Places
1957 Portugal People and Places
1958 Wales People and Places
1958 Scotland People and Places
1958 Ama Girls People and Places
1958 Seven Cities of Antartica People and Places
1959 Cruise of the Eagle People and Places
1960 Japan People and Places
1960 The Danube People and Places
Disneyland Trips - 07/77, 07/80, 07/83, 05/92, 05/96, 05/97, 06/00, 11/00, 02/02, 06/02, 11/02, 04/06, 01/07, 07/07, 11/07,11/08, 07/09

Disneyworld Trips - 01/05

Disney Cruise - 01/05

Six Flags DK - 03/09, 05/09. 06/09, 07/09
Daisy Duck
Gold Classic Collection

Post by Daisy Duck »

Thanks, Mr. Toad. Wow! Those all sound great. I really do hope Disney includes them in a future Treasures (or Legacy) release!!!
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

Walt Disney's "PEOPLE AND PLACES"...any info?

Post by justcuttinhair »

Hey everyone
so I have recently become interested in the old anthology series and came across a number of short documentary films that Disney did called, "People and Places". Some of these were compiled into being shown on the show.
The ones I was able to find some info about(very little), "The Alaskan Eskimo:, "The Blue Men of Morocco", "The Holland Story".
Does anyone have any information on these and the rest? and were they ever released in any format other than being shown in theaters and sometimes compiled for the tv-show. I think these would be a terrific "Treasures" entry.
Escapay
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Re: Walt Disney's "PEOPLE AND PLACES"...any info?

Post by Escapay »

justcuttinhair wrote:Hey everyone
so I have recently become interested in the old anthology series and came across a number of short documentary films that Disney did called, "People and Places". Some of these were compiled into being shown on the show.
The ones I was able to find some info about(very little), "The Alaskan Eskimo:, "The Blue Men of Morocco", "The Holland Story".
Does anyone have any information on these and the rest? and were they ever released in any format other than being shown in theaters and sometimes compiled for the tv-show. I think these would be a terrific "Treasures" entry.
There were eighteen short films made, each one about a half-hour in length. When there was speculation of what 2010's Treasures would be (before we learned Disney decided to not continue the series post-Zorro), "People and Places" was always bandied about as one of the possible options (others being Rarities Volume Two, Chip 'n' Dale, Song of the South, Educational Shorts, etc.). In one of the threads, Rudy Matt posted a list of all 18, also indicating which were Oscar winners/nominees:

1953 The Alaskan Eskimo (Academy Award Winner)
1954 Siam (Academy Award Nominee)
1955 Arizona Sheepdog
1955 Switzerland (Academy Award Nominee)
1955 Men Against the Arctic (Academy Award Winner)
1956 Sardinia
1956 Disneyland USA
1956 Samoa (Academy Award Nominee)
1957 Blue Men of Morocco
1957 Lapland
1957 Portugal (Academy Award Nominee)
1958 Wales
1958 Scotland
1958 Ama Girls
1958 Seven Cities of Antartica (Academy Award Nominee)
1959 Cruise of the Eagle
1960 Japan
1960 The Danube

The only ones that are on DVD are "Disneyland USA" (in the "Secrets, Stories, & Magic" Treasures set) and "Arizona Sheepdog" (the second half of the "Disneyland" episode "Best Doggoned Dog in the West", on the Old Yeller DVD).

Also, an excerpt of "Siam" is in "Disney Studio Album: 1954" (20,000 Leagues Under the Sea DVD), excerpts of "Blue Men of Morocco" and "Portugal" are in "Disney Studio Album: 1957" (Old Yeller DVD), excerpt of "Japan" is in "Disney Studio Album: 1960" (Swiss Family Robinson and Pollyanna).

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

What episodes were..

Post by justcuttinhair »

Do you know which episodes, containing footage from these films, were on the anthology series? Where the "Samoa/The Holland Story", documentaries filmed specifically for the tv series or as part of the "People and Places" series?
Escapay

Post by Escapay »

justcuttinhair wrote:Do you know which episodes, containing footage from these films, were on the anthology series? Where the "Samoa/The Holland Story", documentaries filmed specifically for the tv series or as part of the "People and Places" series?
I don't know which episodes have footage from the films, but you can access imdb's "Disneyland" episode list (here) or Bill Cotter's "Disneyland" Appendix (here), scan the episode titles that either have names of a P&P film or sound related to one, and correspond them to the various "Disneyland" episode summaries by All Movie Guide's Hal Erickson (input the episode title here, or just put the episode title in at Answers.com to get a direct result).

I checked the Samoa/Holland Story one, and it says that the Disneyland episode was a preview for the P&P Samoa, while "The Holland Story" is considered a made-for-tv P&P, which is why it's not on lists of the theatrical P&P's.

albert
WIST #60:
AwallaceUNC: Would you prefer Substi-Blu-tiary Locomotion? :p

WIST #61:
TheSequelOfDisney: Damn, did Lin-Manuel Miranda go and murder all your families?
justcuttinhair
Gold Classic Collection

I understand

Post by justcuttinhair »

Thanks so much for the info you have provided..I really wish there was some way to get these episodes released...I know they appeal to a small amount of us, but, I can not say how much I enjoy them. Watched "The Saga of Any Burnett"last night, and thoroughly enjoyed it.
Sotiris

Re: People & Places

Post by Sotiris »

Disney+ Revives ‘People & Places’
https://deadline.com/2019/10/disney-plu ... 202763716/

Disney Branded Television Acquires Award-Winning Documentary Short ‘Nǎi Nai and Wài Pó’
https://variety.com/2023/film/news/disn ... 235787594/

Disney + Sets Release Date for Oscar Nominated Docu Short ‘Nǎi Nai and Wài Pó’
https://variety.com/2024/film/news/disn ... 235886621/

Watch Trailer For Oscar-Shortlisted ‘Nǎi Nai and Wài Pó,’ Disney Branded Television Doc That Will Relaunch Walt Disney’s ‘People & Places’ Series
https://deadline.com/video/nai-nai-and- ... ler-debut/
ImageImageImageImageImageImage