The Legacy Collection

All topics relating to Disney-branded content.
unprincess
Collector's Edition

Re: The Legacy Collection

Post by unprincess »

oh no! I hope they restock them on Amazon, I havent had a chance to buy the Pocahontas soundtrack yet. :(
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I buy all of the new "special edition" soundtracks coming from Disney lately (Legacy Collection, vinyl LPs etc) from the Disney Music Emporium website. (The legacy collection soundtracks are also available on iTunes.)
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Maria_Potter

Post by Maria_Potter »

I can't wait to buy the Pocahontas one (if I can find it), but I really do hope that they will release more titles! Movies like The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Mulan, Beauty and the Beast, The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians etc. all deserve getting Legacy Collection Releases. I also wish that they would do Lost Chords recordings for the newest films as well...
taei
Special Edition

Post by taei »

Prince Edward wrote:I buy all of the new "special edition" soundtracks coming from Disney lately (Legacy Collection, vinyl LPs etc) from the Disney Music Emporium website. (The legacy collection soundtracks are also available on iTunes.)

I am tempted.. but it's $19.99 on DME..
"In every age, Family is king,
and the bravest journeys, are never taken alone."
-Brave.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

I finally received my copies of "Aristocats" and "Pocahontas", but I was dissapointed over the latter edition not wanting to play the bonus feature clip. And it's a pity. Had anyone else the same problem?
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

I got the DISNEYLAND set today and I´m surprised in how much I really like it - first I thought that this was just a buy to have my collection complete, but now I think it´s a very good collection and the choices of songs/tunes in it, feels really fresh :D
Matt
Anniversary Edition

Post by Matt »

Is the line finished? Or they will release more CDs soon? :?
Chernabog
Special Edition

Post by Chernabog »

I think it is finished.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Chernabog wrote:I think it is finished.
I certainly hope not.

Either way, it's a blast to finally listen to the whole delightful score for "Pocahontas". It's odd to think that it would take Disney so long to release the full scores for the films, but their Legacy Collection gives them an excuse for it. It's good to listen to "In The Middle of The River", which is my favorite from the deleted songs. It's good to hear "If I Never Knew You" as well and the original demo of "Steady As A Beating Drum/Just Around The Riverbend" (why it's just called the latter is baflling). "Different Drummer" is cute and catchy, yet somewhat too reminiscent of "Just Around The Riverbend". "First To Dance" is somewhat underwhelming and forgettable.

But honestly, guys, sorry for repeating myself; Did you have problems to watch the clip which came along the second disc?
SWillie!
Collector's Edition

Post by SWillie! »

Word straight from one of the guys that worked on the collection is that there a plans for a 2nd series of the Legacy Collection, however they have not yet gotten the go ahead to move forward with production on them. He was asked about it at D23.

Hope to hear some more news soon
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

Great news! It's only logical that Disney should expand this collection. Why bother to release the first wave and to make their Disney Music Emporium website and Facebook page and talk a lot about how they now will cater to the music fans last year, if they are to end it all in 2015?

I think the selection of soundtracks in the legacy collection so far points to future releases. If this was meant to be it, Disney would never exclude the likes of Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin from this collection. These Academy Award winning soundtracks are way more popular than The Aristocats for example. Also, the more modern soundtracks (BATB, Aladdin, The Hunchback of Hercules, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan...) have a LOT of unreleased score tracks, demoes, unused songs etc that would be great to feature on a legacy collection release.

Snow White, Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan are also more iconic than The Aristocats and Toy Story. When Disney excluded Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast from the first wave of legacy collection and at the same time included The Aristocats, I think they made it pretty obvious that they would later on add more popular soundtracks like Aladdin and Beauty and the Beast, while at the same time also include less popular films (like Robin Hood and other movies from the 70's and 80's) to this collection.

The "anniversary" aspect of the previous releases points to the likelihood of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, The Huncback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Snow White, Alice, Peter Pan etc being added to the collection in the upcoming years.
Favorite Disney-movies: Snow White, Cinderella, Alice in Wonderland, Sleeping Beauty, The Little Mermaid, Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Pocahontas, The Hunchback of Notre Dame, Hercules, Mulan, Tarzan, Tangled, Frozen, Pirates, Enchanted, Prince of Persia, Tron, Oz The Great and Powerful
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

SWillie! wrote:Word straight from one of the guys that worked on the collection is that there a plans for a 2nd series of the Legacy Collection, however they have not yet gotten the go ahead to move forward with production on them. He was asked about it at D23.

Hope to hear some more news soon
Sounds Disney's reviewing sales to see if the line is worth continuing.

If I had to guess on what titles they're planning, they would probably be:

2016 release

Alice in Wonderland (65th Anniversary)
Dumbo (75th Anniversary)
Hunchback of Notre Dame (20th Anniversary)
Beauty and the Beast (25th Anniversary)
One Hundred and One Dalmatians (55th Anniversary)
Song of the South (70th Anniversary) [or Bedknobs]

2017 release

Aladdin (25th Anniversary)
Hercules (20th Anniversary)
Bambi (75th Anniversary)
The Jungle Book (50th Anniversary)
EPCOT Center (35th Anniversary)
Snow White (80th Anniversary)
Last edited by Flanger-Hanger on Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Flanger-Hanger
Platinum Edition

Post by Flanger-Hanger »

With Pinocchio I now have all 9 DACs represented in the first wave of titles. I like the bonus tracks, but there could have easily been more. "Fun and Fancy Free", "From All of Us to All of You", tracks from "Addition and Subtraction" all would have been welcome. I think all the featured content on the release could have fit on one CD.

Sleeping Beauty also should have included "Holiday" and "Go to Sleep" since they were featured on the Blu-ray. Little Mermaid having no unused song demos is also strange.
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

I agree with you Flanger-Hanger. Sadly, Disney does not go aaall the way with these releases. (Allthough they are great in general.) They could easily have included all they got of demos, uncut songs etc for all these releases. Then these releases would truly have been the ultimate editions of these soundtracks.

For the Pocahontas release, I wonder: Do they really have no demo of Colors of the Wind? And the "Farewell" track containing an extended reprise of "If I Never Knew You" should also have been included. Instead they have only included one track with a very short reprise of the song (the version featured in the 2005 special edition version of the movie).
Disney's Divinity
Ultimate Collector's Edition

Post by Disney's Divinity »

Even though Song of the South is something tailor-made for a line like this, I still think it's on the high end of unlikelihood. I'll be glad if they do release it though.

I wonder if sales would be better if they dropped the anniversary part of it. For instance, releasing Aladdin right now would've been perfect timing. I can't remember if Genies (the live-action film) will be getting released in 2017.

It's such a shame they didn't do The Emperor's New Groove this year, pretty much guaranteeing that, even if they continue, it won't get made. I'm guessing there's a lot of cut material for that one. :roll:
Listening to most often lately:
Ariana Grande ~ "we can't be friends (wait for your love)"
Ariana Grande ~ "imperfect for you"
Kacey Musgraves ~ "The Architect"
Prince Edward
Anniversary Edition

Post by Prince Edward »

The anniversaries decideing what soundtracks were to be a part of this collection was a stupid move. If Disney are to follow the same logic in possible upcoming releases, then they have less freedom to chose what soundtracks they would like to include and when to release them.

Disney could off course go away from the anniversary approuch in upcoming releases, and say nothing about anniversaries. After all, there are no mentioning of any anniversaries on the cover of the albums or in the titles of the soundtracks.

The one positive thing about the anniversaries playing a part in this collection is that it might have gotten us a few of the less popular soundtracks. Had Disney released Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Snow White etc now in the first wave (instead of Aristocats, Disneyland, Pinocchio etc), Disney would have used up their most popular soundtracks. And with only less popular soundtracks left, there might not have been the same demand/need to continue the collection. (I'll be so pissed if the collection does not continue and it turns out that the anniversary logic have robbed us of Beauty and the Beast, Aladdin, Hunchback & Hercules!)

Now, if Disney does expand the collection, we might not only get super popular soundtracks like Beauty and the Beast and Aladdin, but most likely also the likes of Hunchback and Hercules. Maybe Robin Hood and Winnie the Pooh also. I really hope that Disney will not only continue the collection through 2016 & 2017, but also 2018 & 2019. So as to secure us Mulan and Tarzan, if they are to follow their pointless anniversary logic.

And I do hope that Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan can be included! Alice have so many songs, both in the movie and songs that was cut. The cut Cheshire Cat song "I'm Odd" (recorded by Jim Cummings) and the cut song "Beyond the Laughing Sky" (it's melody was later used in "The Second Star to the Right" in Peter Pan) should be included on such a release. And the song "Neverland" recorded by Paige O'Hara (Belle) for the last Peter Pan Blu-ray release could be included as a part of a Peter Pan release. It will certainly be very interesting to see what soundtracks might be part of a possible second wave of Legacy editions...

I'm agreeing with you on "The Emperor's New Groove", Disney's Divinity. It would have been cool to hear the songs that got cut from that movie. The villain song ("Snuff Out the Light") included as a bonus on the released soundtrack are epic! That's why I'm hoping that Disney will quit their anniversary approuch if they continues the collection, and rather chose the soundtracks based on their music and what treasures they might have in their archives.
milojthatch
Collector's Edition

Post by milojthatch »

Disney's Divinity wrote:Even though Song of the South is something tailor-made for a line like this, I still think it's on the high end of unlikelihood. I'll be glad if they do release it though.
I agree, if they won't put the film out on DVD, why would they release the soundtrack? Not saying I won't snatch that up so fast if they ever did release it, but it's not likely. However, selected tracks from the film have been released on their own or as part of CD collections, so you never know...
All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney
imthewalrus79

Post by imthewalrus79 »

Disney has now released the complete series (at least to this point) as a box set, complete with a display box for all of the CD's. Here's a link to the set at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Recor ... collection

Also, for the vinyl fans, a Legacy Sampler LP has been released as an exclusive at Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/walt-di ... ctInfoTabs I didn't see it mentioned on their site, but when I went to my local store to get the LP, it came with a free lithograph of the LP cover, which compliments the lithographs that came with the CD's as part of the complete set preorder from D23.
imthewalrus79

Post by imthewalrus79 »

Disney has now released the complete series (at least to this point) as a box set, complete with a display box for all of the CD's. Here's a link to the set at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Walt-Disney-Recor ... collection

Also, for the vinyl fans, a Legacy Sampler LP has been released as an exclusive at Barnes and Noble: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/walt-di ... ctInfoTabs I didn't see it mentioned on their site, but when I went to my local store to get the LP, it came with a free lithograph of the LP cover, which compliments the lithographs that came with the CD's as part of the complete set preorder from D23.
DisneyFan09
Platinum Edition

Post by DisneyFan09 »

Any new releases coming soon?