PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 am 
Platinum Edition

Previously:

Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2010
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2011
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2012
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2013
Oscar for Best Animated Feature 2014

As per Academy rules, 8 to 12 eligible films are required for a field of three nominees, 13 to 15 for a field of four, and 16 or more for a field of five.

The submitted features for the 2015 Academy Awards are the following.

Anomalisa
Boy and the World
Home
Hotel Transylvania 2
Inside Out
Kahlil Gibran's The Prophet
Minions
Moomins on the Riviera
Peanuts
Regular Show: The Movie
Shaun the Sheep Movie
The Boy and the Beast
The Good Dinosaur
The Laws of the Universe: Part 0
The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
When Marnie Was There

Notes

25 April which will be released in Australia/New Zealand in 2015 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

All Creatures Big and Small (aka Two by Two) which was released theatrically in the UK/Ireland on May 01, 2015 was released in the U.S. on VOD on July 01, 2015.

Alvin and the Chipmunks: The Road Chip which was released in the U.S. on December 18, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

Animal Kingdom: Let's Go Ape (aka Evolution Man) which was released in the UK/Ireland on October 23, 2015 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Back to the Jurassic which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on June 12, 2015 is not eligible as it was released on home video prior to its theatrical exhibition.

Blinky Bill: The Movie which was released in Australia/New Zealand on September 17, 2015 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Boruto: Naruto the Movie received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on October 10, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Capture the Flag received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on December 04, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Dragon Ball Z: Resurrection 'F' received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on August 04, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

El Americano: The Movie received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on May 14, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Extraordinary Tales which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on October 23, 2015 did not qualify for consideration.

Get Squirrely was scheduled to be released in 2015.

Ghosthunters: On Icy Trails which will be released in the U.S. in 2015 may not be eligible since it is a CG/live-action hybrid.

Ghost in the Shell: The New Movie received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on November 10, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Harlock: Space Pirate which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on March 25, 2015 is not eligible as it was released overseas in 2013.

Hell and Back which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on October 2, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

He Named Me Malala which was released in the U.S. on October 02, 2015 may not be eligible since it is an animated/live-action hybrid.

Huevos: Little Rooster’s Egg-cellent Adventure which was released in the U.S. on September 04, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

Kurt Cobain: Montage of Heck which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on April 24, 2015 may not be eligible since it is an animated/live-action hybrid.

Love Live! The School Idol Movie received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on September 11, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Maya the Bee Movie which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on May 01, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

Miss Hokusai which was released in the UK/Ireland on October 10, 2015 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls – Friendship Games received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. on September 17, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Paddington which was released in the U.S. on January 16, 2015 may not be eligible since it is a CG/live-action hybrid.

Pixies received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on June 05, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

Strange Magic which was released in the U.S. on January 23, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

The Anthem of the Heart: Beautiful Word, Beautiful World received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on November 01, 2015 but not an Oscar-qualifying run.

The Last: Naruto the Movie which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on February 20, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

The Seventh Dwarf which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on July 31, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast which received a limited theatrical release in the U.S. starting on January 30, 2015 was not submitted for consideration.

Top Cat Begins which was released on October 30, 2015 in Mexico has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

Underdogs which was scheduled to be released in the U.S. in 2015 is not eligible as it was released overseas in 2013.

Wish was scheduled to be released in 2015.

Yowamushi Pedal: The Movie which was released in Australia/New Zealand on December 05, 2015 has yet to secure U.S. distribution.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:30 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I'm predicting Peanuts to win this one. Looks to be a game changer in animation and sure to inspire a lot of nostalgia from voters.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:35 am 
Platinum Edition

Of course everything is the purest of speculation right now, but with 2 Pixar movies...original, non-sequel Pixar movies... don't count them out!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:54 am 
Platinum Edition

Slim pickings.

Yeah, I'm sure Pixar has 2015 on lock, most likely with Inside Out. The only possible competition would be Peanuts.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:51 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Disney's Divinity wrote:
Slim pickings.

Yeah, I'm sure Pixar has 2015 on lock, most likely with Inside Out. The only possible competition would be Peanuts.

Yeah, come on. All of us know how Pixar buys its Oscar every time (minus Cars) it's in the running. And it looks like they have a keeper for Inside Out from reporters who have seen footage of it.

My guesses are:

B.O.O.: Bureau of Otherworldly Operations
Inside Out
Kung Fu Panda 3
The Good Dinosaur (or Minions if Pixar choose IO instead)
Peanuts

Possible spoiler:
Minions

I wonder if Pixar will choose one movie out of another like Disney picks its most successful short over the other for the Oscars.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:23 am 
Limited Edition

Inside Out for the win! I'm rooting for it to be good more than anything though. If it is, the win will come along with it.

I like the aesthetic of Peanuts, but we don't know much about it otherwise. It could have a terrible story or get the Peanuts tone and vibe completely wrong. We just don't know yet, so calm down about it! :smack:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:26 pm 
Platinum Edition

Eight feature films have been selected for competition at the 2015 Annecy International Animated Film Festival. Click on the hyperlinks to watch the trailer for each entry. Not very impressed with this year's line-up. The only ones I find interesting are the "Long Way North" and "Miss Hokusai".

01. Adama
02. April and the Extraordinary World
03. Long Way North
04. Miss Hokusai
05. Mune
06. Possessed
07. Sabogal
08. The Case of Hana & Alice

April and the Extraordinary World won this year's top prize, the Cristal for a Feature Film. Miss Hokusai won the Jury Award while Long Way North won the Audience Award. April and the Extraordinary World has been picked up for U.S. distribution by GKids which will be submitting it for Oscar consideration in 2016.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:32 am 
Limited Edition

The Good Dinosaur has this locked down. Pixar would have released Inside Out in November if it were the stronger of the two films. There is no way The Good Dinosaur isn't going for the win here. Peanuts to spoil, but I really doubt it.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:51 am 
Limited Edition

It was supposed to be released in May 2014 so I don't know about that. That much of a delay indicates there were problems with it.

I hope it's great though. Just one original Pixar film in a year could be refreshing, let alone two.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:01 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

I guess it really depends which one gets more acclaim and which one Disney decides to focus more attention on. Inside Out will be released on Blu-Ray around the time The Good Dinosaur will open, so both films will still be fresh in people's memories. Of course, if both are equally loved, there is the possibility of a vote split and another movie sneaking in for a win (I'm betting on Peanuts, which has the nostalgia factor and from every interview I've read, there's every indication they won't modernise it with pop-culture references and inappropriate humour).

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:11 pm 
Limited Edition

Im hoping that The Prophet at least gets nominated, as its truely a ballsy venture in this day of cookie cutter Hollywood releases. Doesnt have any chance of winning of course as it will just go to whichever was most popular and made most money this year.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 1:30 am 
Platinum Edition

Funimation has just announced they have acquired The Boy and The Beast and they'll be submitting it for Oscar consideration. This is great news; the film looks very promising. I've enjoyed all of Mamoru Hosoda's films and I'm glad he'll be competing even if getting nominated is a long shot. It was such a shame Funimation didn't submit Wolf Children in 2013 which I consider his best work so far.

Trailer (with English subtitles)

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 5:41 pm 
Special Edition

Yeah, that was kind of puzzling that they didn't submit Wolf Children. I agree it was his best film to date, and it would be great if the film snagged a nomination. Of all of the "next Miyazaki" contenders that have popped up, I definitely think he is the closest thing so far, in terms of both critical reception and sheer popularity. Each of his films have successively become bigger and bigger hits, and Wolf Chidren was huge. He is definitely a huge outlier in an environment where virtually all of the domestic animated box office hits have been either Ghibli films or movie adaptations of TV franchises.

Really looking forward to this new film.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:46 am 
Limited Edition

If the early reviews of Inside Out are any indication, this is going to be a pretty predictable Oscar race :lol:

I'll be happy if Pixar gets a well-deserved win with a fresh and original film though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 1:01 am 
Platinum Edition

Palestine Enters ‘The Wanted 18’ into Foreign-Language Oscar Race
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 18466.html

Oscar Shortlisted Doc Short 'Last Day of Freedom' is a Gentle Animated Look at Complex Issues
http://blogs.indiewire.com/sydneylevine ... s-20151231

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:13 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

Paramount also recently purchased Charlie Kaufman's stop-motion animated film "Anomalisa" and are planning on giving it a limited release at the end of the year to qualify for Oscars.

Although it does make me wonder what their plans are for The Little Prince. They have US distribution rights to it, but haven't announced an American release date yet.

At the moment, I think the films with the highest chances of getting nominated are Inside Out, Shaun the Sheep, When Marnie Was There, Anomalisa, (reviews pending) The Peanuts Movie, The Good Dinosaur and (if it's given a qualifying run) The Little Prince.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:21 pm 
Platinum Edition

60 Animated Shorts Qualified for the Academy Awards in 2015 (Complete List)
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 21299.html

The qualified shorts that have a Disney connection are:

Aria for a Cow by Dan Lund (effects animator at WDAS, directed Dream On Silly Dreamer). The short features a song written by Alan Menken & Howard Ashman.
On Flying Water by Dominique Monfery (character animator at WDAS, DTVA, and Pixar, directed Destino)
Prologue by Richard Williams (animation director on Who Framed Roger Rabbit)
Sanjay’s Super Team by Sanjay Patel (animator and story artist at Pixar)
Violet by Maurice Joyce (director at DTVA, directed Doug's First Movie)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:07 pm 
Platinum Edition

Only 16 features have been submitted for Oscar consideration. Strangely enough, a lot of features that were eligible weren't actually submitted including DisneyToon Studios' Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast and Lucasfilm Animation's Strange Magic.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:33 pm 
Special Edition

Today I learned that there is a Regular Show movie that apparently has enough milage to be nominated for an Ocsar. Thanks for telling me about that.

Everything else was predictable. So, I think When Marnie was There and Inside Out are probably going to be picked, with Inside Out winning. The Peanuts Movie's positive reception so far will probably grant it a nomination as an obligatory non-Disney/Pixar American film, but definitely not a win against Inside Out. The Good Dinosaur is still to come, but as long as the Academy doesn't restrict themselves to only one Pixar film (which would mean that Pixar has less competition...against Pixar) and the reception is decent I can see voters eating it up. The single other nomination is up in the air, and I bet they'll pick a foreign film for it. I feel bad for thinking this, but I really hope Shaun the Sheep isn't that foreign film. It's the "safe" choice, but it's not the most interesting one. Best case scenario though is that Pixar only gets one nomination, allowing Aardman plus another more obscure studio to have some of the spotlight.

Edit: I also completely skimmed over Anomalisa. That has a fair chance of being nominated too. It's not a foreign film either, and the reception has been outstanding. It's just too Oscar-baity for the Academy to ignore.

Last edited by Tangled on Thu Nov 05, 2015 5:20 pm, edited 13 times in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 4:37 pm 
Platinum Edition

Sotiris wrote:
Only 16 features have been submitted for Oscar consideration. Strangely enough, a lot of features that were eligible weren't actually submitted including DisneyToon Studios' Tinker Bell and the Legend of the NeverBeast and Lucasfilm Animation's Strange Magic.
Lucasfilm Animation is owned by Disney, right? I'm guessing they don't want any votes going to other things, so there's no possibility Inside Out will lose.