Do you like the Disney Vault?
Poll ended at Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:08 pm
Yes 26%  26%  [ 7 ]
No 41%  41%  [ 11 ]
I'm on the fence 33%  33%  [ 9 ]
Total votes : 27
PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:08 pm 
Collector's Edition

As others here have said, once a movie is 'vaulted' people will go the second hand route (I certainly have). Disney loses money through this and the many bootlegs that food the market. It is also very easy to find, stream and download a Disney film online. We all know the vault used to be for the purpose of cinema re-releases (before Disney released to home media), but is a movie really unavailable when it is on the shelf in your bedroom or on Amazon?

In the UK, it is possible to find second hand Disney titles for little more than RRP in high street stores.

Is the vault nothing more than to drive up demand and prices? (I would say yes)
It's been reported that one of the biggest classics 'Cinderella' Diamond didn't sell as well as Disney hoped.

Attachment:
File comment: [url]http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Diamond_Editions[/url]
disney vault.png
disney vault.png [ 8.67 KiB | Viewed 5007 times ]
http://disney.wikia.com/wiki/Walt_Disney_Diamond_Editions I found this - whilst I have my serious doubts about the validity of its sources, I wondered what others thought? Is it a possibility?

In this new digital age where we can get what we want instantly, should Disney really be withholding their biggest films?
I've also read about Warner taking a leaf out of Disney's book and 'vaulting' the Harry Potter films - so maybe this isn't a totally outdated concept?

Thoughts? Opinions? Do you like the Vault? I still get excited when a film gets re-released but that is diminishing with lower quality releases. I imagine not many people double dip and I've started scaling back what I'll upgrade to bluray.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 pm 
Collector's Edition

I don't think the vault is outdated but I do think the rules of the vault need to be enforced more heavily. Having a film vaulted builds more excitement and anticipation for its release.

These films should be "Vault Disney" titles:
Snow White
Pinocchio
Fantasia
Dumbo
Bambi
Cinderella
Alice in Wonderland
Peter Pan
Lady and the Tramp
Sleeping Beauty
101 Dalmatians
The Jungle Book
The Little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Aladdin
The Lion King

Maybe in the future, these could be added:
Tangled
Frozen

I also think PIXAR should start vaulting some of their films.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:42 pm 
Special Edition

The Disney Vault technique of limiting distribution of a movie is kinda obsolete in the age of the internet and piracy and when a movie goes out of print and the used copies get stupid expensive, of course people are going to turn towards bootlegging.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:03 pm 
Platinum Edition

FigmentJedi wrote:
The Disney Vault technique of limiting distribution of a movie is kinda obsolete in the age of the internet and piracy and when a movie goes out of print and the used copies get stupid expensive, of course people are going to turn towards bootlegging.

This rings especially true now that Disney is really pushing digital instead of physical copies.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:15 pm 
Walt Disney Treasure

I don't think the concept is necessarily outdated. At least not yet. We're on the verge with digital distribution, but I think if they really put some effort into it, they could make it work well even through the digital age. But I think that the way Disney is handling it today is awful. The releases are no longer "special" in any way whatsoever. The Diamond Line has pretty much turned into a joke, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the presentation of the film itself is still pretty consistently great, which is good. But pretty much everything else - bonus features, cover art, disc presentation, etc - has become more and more inconsistent and low-quality.

Seriously, why is Disney Home Entertainment so unable to put together a high quality collection of their most beloved films? Here's how the Diamond Line has gone down so far, from their point of view:

Okay, this blu-ray thing is still pretty new, but seems to be catching on. A perfect way to showcase our best movies. We've already done some pretty great releases of Pinocchio and Sleeping Beauty, so Snow White seems like a perfect place to start a new collection. I can't wait, we'll put loads and loads of special features on there, utilize the technology that blu-ray allows, and really make this something to own. We'll even do some REALLY amazing collector's editions, with books and collectibles included! Great, the final product looks fantastic.

Now on to Beauty and the Beast. What a nice series this is going to be. Don't forget that collector's edition again with the book! And we definitely want to use some fantastic, iconic cover art. Looks great. Hmm but wait, what would make this really stand out? Oh! Let's put Cogsworth on the spine of the thing, so that's what people see most often when it's on their shelf! Haha I love Cogsworth. So funny and obviously more iconic than either Belle or Beast. I know we usually only use the main character on the spine, but... ahhh, whatever.

Alright, two down. It's looking pretty nice so far. Boy, this is a lot of work though. Okay, what's next? Bambi, great. You know... Bambi doesn't seem quite as big a deal as either Snow White or BatB. Let's take a break here. We don't really need to stuff this with bonus features or anything. One disc is fine here. At least the film looks amazing. Also, forget those nice collector's editions. Let's give ourselves a pat on the back for at least sticking to it for two movies. Okay so cover art on this puppy... Pretty standard, we want to have Bambi and his friends on there... WAIT A MINUTE! Lightbulb! What if... now stay with me here... what if we *turn the title sideways*?? What inspiration! That leaves us room to make Bambi's head HUUUUGE! That way no one will miss it walking past. Although.... that isn't how we did the first two in this "collection." Oh! Let's make the 3D Beauty and the Beast sideways too, so it kind of feels like it belongs. This is great, this can be our new "thing"! What? Snow White? Well, no. It's too late for that. Forget it. Oh and also, on the spine - we want to make sure we put Bambi on there, and we want it to say "Diamond Edition" and "Walt Disney" on it too. I know that isn't how we did either of the previous movies, but who cares if they don't *look* like a collection. We say it's a collection, so it's a collection!

Lion King. Our big money maker. We're proud of this one. We'll do a really nice making-of documentary, along with the standard bonus features. Let's stick with the big head, sideways title, etc. We wouldn't want to have an inconsistent collection. Oh, except we're dropping all mention of "Walt" from here on out.

Yikes, that one wore me out a bit. We can pretty much skate through Lady and the Tramp right? Yeah, just stick with the formula. Except no big heads on this one. And let's start playing around with different combo pack options. Nothing like confusing the consumer. Just start mixing and matching stuff, we'll see what hits.

Cinderella, our most beloved princess. We need something to make her shine. Ohhhhhh I know - make it ALL GOLD. You know, like a diamond! Well, not really, that doesn't even make sense. But, like royalty kind of! She's a princess! Gold! Sparkly! Special! You get it. That can be the big special version with everything included, and then make the regular version like a weird purple color that no one associates with the movie at all. Oh and.... we need to cut back on this prestigious collection, so our restoration needs to get done faster, and cheaper. No one will notice the many flaws in it. Also, we're dropping disc art. It won't stop them from buying it.

Now Peter Pan. We're getting some complaints about weird cover art decisions, especially since we aren't doing adult-oriented collector's editions anymore. So let's try something new with the cover art. For the version with everything included, make it classy. Peter's shadow classy. That looks really nice. And so does the standard version! Look what happens when we actually put in a half second of effort. Oh but yeah, for bonus features we can pretty much skate by on previous DVD features. Throw together something about the animators. That'll shut em up.

The Little Mermaid, one of our favorites! Okay so make sure we advertise the 3D version, but then in the end make it darn near impossible to find. Again, make it really classy though. Also, we need a tacky gold version to go with Cinderella. And then a regular version too. Oh and a DVD version, and the other one that's a blu-ray, but in a DVD case. No such thing as too many choices. Your average consumer will completely understand what they are buying. Also forget any real special bonus features. Just like a short thing about Disney Animation in general will work.

The Jungle Book also needs a gold version. You know, because... the jungle! It works. Green and gold go especially well together. And forget the other versions, make this gold one the only one you can find.

Sleeping Beauty. We've already put this one out on blu-ray, but not on sideways title Diamond blu-ray! So we'll put it in the middle to make the good vs. evil thing absolutely obvious. It doesn't make any damn sense and nobody can read it, but it's different, so that makes it good. Wouldn't want to do the same thing too many times in a row. Gotta keep em on their toes.

And they wonder why sales drop on every release. Sorry, had to rant lol.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:42 pm 
Collector's Edition

If Disney did discontinue the vault policy after the Diamond line has finished, I really don't think we would be missing out on much at this point.
SWillie! wrote:
The Diamond Line has pretty much turned into a joke, as far as I'm concerned. Yes, the presentation of the film itself is still pretty consistently great, which is good. But pretty much everything else - bonus features, cover art, disc presentation, etc - has become more and more inconsistent and low-quality.

This. It no longer feels like a collection - when we had the platinum line we also had some awesome non-platinum film releases (Pocahontas, Mulan, TENG, Tarzan) that felt like they could also belong. The vault also forces me to spend money on films I already own once, twice, three times because they are slightly better than my old version. So ending the vault would be beneficial to my bank account if nothing else. :D

Disney can't even be bothered with new film releases - the Tangled release was pretty dire.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:39 pm 
Limited Edition

The vault is outdated. Disney will keep losing money to bootleggers when people need to replace broken discs.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:08 pm 
Special Edition

I really like the vault policy. I don't know, I feel kinda special when a movie is on the vault and I own it. Plus, it's really exciting when the next titles are going to be announced. I don't know, I just like it.
But they could do a lot more effort, yes. We saw the quality dropping even internationally. Snow White, in Brazil, had a really nice slipcover, a really quality material used to make the case. When we talk about, I don't know, Peter Pan, the slipcover is a thing, not pretty or special at all, it's just a piece of paper around the cover and the case feels like they are going to melt, 'cause it's very
Plus, the problematic restorations and the bonus getting worse as time passes by.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:12 am 
Walt Disney Treasure

The vault policy is out-dated, and as has been mentioned, only helps to feed the bootleg community. Other studios re-release their A-list catalog titles in different formats or premium release and do quite well without making a big deal out of the fact they quietly disconnected the previous release of whatever title right before re-releasing it again. Most of these other studios don't hold things back 7+ years either when they do re-release titles. Going forward, I can't see this policy doing much to help Disney's bottom line anymore. Personally, I could also see this practice hurting digital distribution depending on how it is handled.

All the adversity I've had in my life, all my troubles and obstacles, have strengthened me... You may not realize it when it happens, but a kick in the teeth may be the best thing in the world for you.

-Walt Disney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:19 pm 
Platinum Edition

To Be Honest, the physical Disney Vault is outdated. It's from the 1940's and they thought about tearing it down and building a better one, but it would cost 1 Million Dollars to demolish it, so they decided to keep it the way it was in 2003. I'll post the images of the Vault Itself since it is kinda on topic.

And Link to someone in the Vault holding a Snow White Film Reel

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 9245_n.jpg

EDIT

I voted for On The Fence as that's my status on it

http://fromscreentotheme.com/ThursdayTr ... isney.aspx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:27 pm 
Platinum Edition

I voted "On the fence," too.

I don't really care about the Vault since I don't buy every re-release of every one of their movies anyway. I bought most of the Platinums, but haven't upgraded to Blu-Ray for the most part because I'm not wasting money updating everything I own every 5 years to some new format.

That said, I do like the fact that the Vault results in multiple releases of the same films because it leads to new bonus features/better restorations (in theory, anyway). I can see how it might result in bootlegs--but at the same time, having the movies always available wouldn't stop that, imo, since all these films are easily available even when "in the Vault," if you just go through Amazon/eBay or even old bookstores, etc. If someone's determined not to pay, they aren't going to even if the movie is available.

David Archuleta ~ "OK, All Right"
Troye Sivan ~ "Take Yourself Home"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:59 am 
Platinum Edition

SWillie!, you're funny. :)

Oh, onto the issue at hand. Um...I'll say they shouldn't keep the vault anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 7:55 am 
Limited Edition

I'm on the fence

Maybe they should have a special Sapphire line for the best selling movies, like Lion King etc, but have other movies like Robin Hood, Hercules, Dumbo, Mulan etc all year around, 24/7 available in stores.

The Sapphire line could be

Snow White
Pinocchio
Lion King
Bambi
Lady and the Tramp
Cinderella
Peter Pan
The little Mermaid
Beauty and the Beast
Sleeping Beauty
Aladdin
Jungle Book
Fantasia
and
Frozen ( If it sells well, which is a huge likely )

And have a order when they go, example start with Snow White and end with Frozen round and round, so people know what's coming next, and when it's coming out etc. But all other Disney movies, not apart of the line, stay in stores.

idk, dumb idea.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:16 am 
Limited Edition

I own every Platinum title, and they were pretty extraordinary in terms of everything, especially bonus features. I upgraded some of the titles to Blu-ray, but, like many of us think, the Diamond line is much inferior to the Platinum line. Everything was going fine with Snow White and Beauty and the Beast . But starting with Bambi , things went bad. I mean, it wasn't a bad release, and the film looked awesome, and I really enjoyed the Second Screen app, but in terms of bonus features, they could have done better, and the fact that it has only one disc is a bummer. The same can be said about The Lion King and Lady and the Tramp .
IMO, the collection hit rock bottom with Cinderella . When I heard they changed Cinderella's design, I thought they were preparing something extra-special with the Blu-ray, and I really expected a beautiful restoration (like Snow White or Sleeping Beauty ), but they really disappointed me with that one. And they wonder why it didn't sell well. With Peter Pan , they did a pretty good job, even though they kept the Platinum restoration. The Little Mermaid was a solid release, with a great feature presentation and awesome bonus features. I have the European The Jungle Book Diamond Edition and it's okay as well, but they really could have done better. We'll just have to wait to see what they'll do with Sleeping Beauty .

If you're a fan of Disney animation, like my Facebook fanpage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:14 pm 
Limited Edition

well I have a theory that part of the reason they are holding back on bonuses & half-assing the rest, like crappy covers, bad restorations (not that they are doing it on purpose, but just that they arent putting the effort to make sure its perfect) is b/c once everything turns to digital, theyre going to need something to entice the collectors to start shelling out money for the hard copies. So Im expecting a few years after everything goes digital, you'll see an announcment for a new hard copy line and this time it will be done the right way, nice covers, special packaging, collectables, great new bonus material, galleries... all the bells and whistles. Except this time be prepared to spend an arm & a leg for them b/c they are gonna make us pay for them having to go all out & actually work this time.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2014 6:26 pm 
Gold Collection

While I understand that people are frustrated by the Disney Vault, it is a rather 'evil' marketing tool, making these movies and Disney look like Money grubbing whores. I actually LOVE the Disney Vault. It's a brilliant Marketing tool! It's genius, evil genius.

Granted I don't think Disney will give up on the Vault that easily, but I have a theory.

Why not release the movies 3 times a year, and make it available for an even shorter amount of time.

Disney's Entering a new renaissance with Tangled, Wreck-it-Ralph, and Frozen. So they could add those movies in.

And put in Alice in Wonderland and Dumbo (honestly, it doesn't make sense to me why they aren't in the Vault. Based on how successful they are, how lucrative/flexible those movies are the Disney's marketing, the general critical acclaim (especially Dumbo), it doesn't make a damn sense.)

I hope to Work for Disney home entertainment someday so I am worried about the Vault. I know that sounds crazy but I am, its so much fun to look forward to these films. I hope it never ends.